From 2018 To Beyond: Starting with Detailed 2018 Election Night Coverage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 03:33:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  From 2018 To Beyond: Starting with Detailed 2018 Election Night Coverage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13
Author Topic: From 2018 To Beyond: Starting with Detailed 2018 Election Night Coverage  (Read 24860 times)
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 10, 2018, 11:09:15 AM »

9:40 PM EST: RECOUNT IN FLORIDA: THE GHOST OF 2000; TN-SEN CALLED (CONTINUED)

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2018, 11:10:37 AM »

9:40 PM EST: RECOUNT IN FLORIDA: THE GHOST OF 2000; TN-SEN CALLED (CONTINUED)

Gubernatorial Results and Exit Polls:

Governorships called: 6 D --- 12 R

[/quote]
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »

I'm calling that Cruz barely wins by 1-2% while Baldwin wins re-election by 5-10%. At the same time, Nelson wins re-election but the recount shows he have a .1% victory. AZ goes to Sinema, who will win by 3-6%. so as of that, the Republicans would have a net gain of 1 seat while the Democrats pick up one for themselves. ND still hasn't come in yet but I do think Cramer has a distinct advantage in winning that state.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2018, 11:50:09 AM »

It looks more like that we won't have a definitive Decision in the Senate TONIGHT with Recounts in Florida (official) and Indiana (looming) and potentially in Texas as well unless Republicans win North Dakota and Montana. Democrats meanwhile getting close having to run the table in these Senate Races.

Senate at this Hour
23 Democratic Holdover Seats
42 Republican Holdover Seats

Based on CNN Calls
40 Democrats
47 Republicans

If Republicans can win MO, ND and MT they have control. MS-Special seems to go into a Runoff where Republicans are favoured.

Encouraging signs in the Wisconsin Governor Race where Walker was proclaimed to be dead a few weeks ago.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #179 on: October 10, 2018, 01:16:32 PM »

I'd say if Cruz wins Dem senate hopes are over.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #180 on: October 11, 2018, 10:48:54 AM »

9:50 PM EST: HIGH DRAMA IN MISSOURI AND TEXAS

US. Sen. Claire McCaskill talks with Missouri Attorney General Josh Hawley in 2017

November 6, 2018, 9:50 PM EST: ELECTION NIGHT, CNN Headquarters, Washington D.C.
CNN: THE SITUATION ROOM - CNN'S ELECTION DAY HEADQUARTERS

John King: "Just when you thought the battle for the United States Senate couldn't get any crazier, or any closer... it just did. The Senate races in both Missouri and Texas, just over the past few minutes, have BOTH closed to within 1 percent," and the leads have switched in BOTH races. Just a few minutes ago, Republican Josh Hawley led in Missouri by 1.5 points, with 95% in. Now Democrat Claire McCaskill leads by .4% with 99% in. And in Texas, just a few minutes ago, Democrat Beto O'Rourke led by .7%, with 88% in. Now Republican Ted Cruz leads by .7% with 91% in. And who knows, either of these races could flip again. Claire McCaskill's lead in Missouri is a bit more secure than Cruz's in Texas, since there is 99% in in Missouri, but it is not enough for us to be able to call the race there yet. Wolf."

Wolf Blitzer: "That's right, John. Both of these races remain up in the air, and with them, potentially control over the United States Senate. What a turn of events this night has been in the Senate so far."

John King: "And meanwhile in Arizona, we are now up to 68% reporting, and Democrat Kyrsten Sinema is ahead by almost 14 points. It is definitely still too early to call, but if she could hold that it would be one of the 3 seats Democrats need to pick up to control the Senate, given that they have already lost Indiana. And you know what? In just about 10 minutes from now, the polls will be closing in 3 other states with big Senate races - Montana, North Dakota, and Nevada... Wolf, over to you."

Wolf Blitzer: "And I am told by our producers that it is now a good time for a commercial break. We'll be back in just a few minutes. Stay here and stand by for exit polls from Montana, North Dakota, and Nevada, as well as updates on the crucical Senate races in Texas and Missouri."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIDphMTn8I0
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #181 on: October 11, 2018, 10:49:42 AM »

9:50 PM EST: HIGH DRAMA IN MISSOURI AND TEXAS (CONTINUED)

[/quote]
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #182 on: October 11, 2018, 10:50:34 AM »

9:50 PM EST: HIGH DRAMA IN MISSOURI AND TEXAS (CONTINUED)

Governorships called: 8 D --- 12 R

[/quote]
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #183 on: October 11, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »

RIP Beto and Dems' Senate hopes.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #184 on: October 11, 2018, 11:27:27 AM »

So, MO-SEN and TEXAS-SEN have flipped, MO to the Democrats, Texas to the Republicans.

Honestly, I expected that. Looks like St. Louis & Kansas City bailed McCaskill out as they came in last. Once a Democrat takes the lead in a MO Statewide Race with now 99% in, it's probably over for Hawley.

In Texas the Trend followed through. As the Vote goes up Cruz took the lead. He has now a nearly 40K Vote lead and should be relativly safe here.

I disagree that the Senate is up in the air from these Panelists. Democrats will still have to run the Table.

Republicans started with 42 Seats. Add the 5 Seats that have been called for them it brings them up to 47. Because Pence is VP they only need 50 meaning if Cruz hangs on and they win the guaranteed Seat in Utah (Mitt Romney) it would bring them up to 49. Then they would only need to win 1 out of North Dakota, Montana or Nevada. Mississippi-Special is almost guaranteed to go to a Runoff where Incumbent Cincy Hyde-Smith is favoured.

Bottom Line: Democrats NEED Texas to make this Map work.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #185 on: October 11, 2018, 11:53:56 AM »

The good news for Ds in TX though is that El Paso closes later than the rest of Texas. That will undoubtedly be one of Beto’s strongest areas, and if it isn’t in much yet, Beto can still get this.

Why am I making a response like this is actual election night lol
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2018, 01:33:56 PM »

Why am I making a response like this is actual election night lol

Cheesy
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2018, 10:20:01 AM »

10:00 PM EST: POLLS CLOSE IN IOWA, MONTANA, NORTH DAKOTA, NEVADA, OREGON, AND UTAH

North Dakota Republican Kevin Cramer with President Trump

November 6, 2018, 10:00 PM EST: ELECTION NIGHT, CNN Headquarters, Washington D.C.

Wolf Blitzer: "It's 10 O'Clock Eastern Time, and CNN is ready to characterize some races based on our exit polls."

Wolf Blitzer: "Polls closing now in 17 states and the District of Columbia! My lungs are about to get a workout. That's right, we can make characterizations of more KEY RACES!"

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in Montana is TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in North Dakota is TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that the Senate race in Nevada is TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can project that Republican Mitt Romney will WIN the Senate race in Utah."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Iowa as TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Idaho as TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Nevada as TOO CLOSE TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "Based on our exit polls, we can characterize the Gubernatorial race in Oregon as TOO EARLY TO CALL."

Wolf Blitzer: "And now back again to John King, who is at the magic wall. John, you have some more results for us?"

John King: "Yes. We've got enough results in now to call the Mississippi Senate Special Election for Republican Cindy Hyde-Smith. However, she is below 50%, and she and Democrat Mike Espy will advance to a runoff. Missouri remains very close, McCaskill still up by the same margin. One or 2 precincts more have come in, but we're still at 99% reporting overall. Nothing more in from Texas, still 91% reporting there. And those exit polls in Montana and North Dakota are showing close races, although in Nevada the Democrat Jacky Rosen has a double-digit lead in the exit poll - that one is quite a surprise, since in pre-election polls, Republican incumbent was quite competitive, everyone thought that he couldn't possibly be beaten. After all, it's not as though polls in Nevada have ever underestimated Democrats before."

John King: "And in the meantime in the Gubernatorial races, we've gotten enough votes in to call Oklahoma for the Republican, Brian Stitt, and Rhode Island for the Democrat, Gina Raimondo. And Connecticut went for the Democrats just a short time ago."

John King: "In the House, look right now at OH-14. It is at 100% in - but that is with rounding - a few precincts are apparently still out. And it is 48.1% to 48.1%. But look at the actual vote count. The Democratic challenger Betsy Rader has 122,099 votes, and Republican incumbent David Joyce has 122,068 votes. That's a difference of just 31 votes right now. This race could hardly be closer, and it appears it will be going to a recount. We have not yet called this race."

John King: "PA-10, in the Harrisburg-York area, is also extremely close. With 99% in, it is 50.0-50.0%. Democratic challenger George Scott is just ever so barely ahead of Republican incumbent Scott Perry right now 100,471 votes to 100,455. That is literally just 16 votes separating the two of them."

Wolf Blitzer: "Well, every vote counts. You can see that every vote counts here."

John King: "And we've had more Democratic seat pickups: IL-12, IL-14, MI-06, TX-32. And some notable Republican holds: IL-13, ME-02, MI-03, TX-21, TX-31, AR-02."
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2018, 10:20:53 AM »

10:00 PM EST: POLLS CLOSE IN IOWA, MONTANA, NORTH DAKOTA, NEVADA, OREGON, AND UTAH (CONTINUED)

[/quote]
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2018, 10:21:59 AM »

10:00 PM EST: POLLS CLOSE IN IOWA, MONTANA, NORTH DAKOTA, NEVADA, OREGON, AND UTAH (CONTINUED)

Governorships called: 9 D --- 13 R

[/quote]
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2018, 10:33:41 AM »

#Barrassounder50
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2018, 12:00:43 PM »

Dang RIP Knute but does Oregon actually close at 10 PM now?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #192 on: October 12, 2018, 12:53:49 PM »

Ballotpedia says:

So it looks like they should be able to start reporting at 8 PST, or 11 EST.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #193 on: October 12, 2018, 05:51:25 PM »

Interesting results look like the House at least will flip.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #194 on: October 13, 2018, 12:52:00 AM »

So, MO-SEN and TEXAS-SEN have flipped, MO to the Democrats, Texas to the Republicans.

Honestly, I expected that. Looks like St. Louis & Kansas City bailed McCaskill out as they came in last. Once a Democrat takes the lead in a MO Statewide Race with now 99% in, it's probably over for Hawley.

In Texas the Trend followed through. As the Vote goes up Cruz took the lead. He has now a nearly 40K Vote lead and should be relativly safe here.

I disagree that the Senate is up in the air from these Panelists. Democrats will still have to run the Table.

Republicans started with 42 Seats. Add the 5 Seats that have been called for them it brings them up to 47. Because Pence is VP they only need 50 meaning if Cruz hangs on and they win the guaranteed Seat in Utah (Mitt Romney) it would bring them up to 49. Then they would only need to win 1 out of North Dakota, Montana or Nevada. Mississippi-Special is almost guaranteed to go to a Runoff where Incumbent Cincy Hyde-Smith is favoured.

Keep in mind Democrats could still beat Cindy Hyde-Smith...
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2018, 08:31:55 AM »

Prediction: MS will go to a runoff that will decide control of the Senate.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2018, 08:51:35 AM »

In a Runoff that's almost impossible for the Democrats....and they also need to win Montana & North Dakota. Exit Polls have Tester ahead 51-47 over Rosendale and Cramer 52-48 over Heitkamp.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2018, 10:30:28 AM »

Sorry to (probably) kill off your boy Knute, but he seemed to be down in the non-internal polls at the time I made the results (Hoffman Research Group 46-36). Although since then other polls seem to have showed a somewhat closer race.

Plus, he does have a REALLY cool name. I like it! Perhaps it will be a huge exit poll error and he can make a comeback... or if not, maybe he can make a comeback in 2020/2022/etc. We could always give him a Trump admin appointment as UN Ambassador or something, just for you Cheesy

Ballotpedia says:

So it looks like they should be able to start reporting at 8 PST, or 11 EST.

https://www.thegreenpapers.com/G18/closing.phtml?format=gc

This says:

So I thought it closed in part of the state earlier. I guess I could delay reporting the reults by 1 hour, but I am not sure there would really be much point, because you already have seen the GOV exit polls, and there are not any competitive house races there (or a Senate race).
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #198 on: October 13, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »

In a Runoff that's almost impossible for the Democrats....and they also need to win Montana & North Dakota. Exit Polls have Tester ahead 51-47 over Rosendale and Cramer 52-48 over Heitkamp.

Agreed, things would need to break really well for Dems for there to be any chance of that. Maybe not strictly impossible, but looks very tough.
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #199 on: October 13, 2018, 11:18:36 AM »
« Edited: October 13, 2018, 11:31:49 AM by Cruz Will Win 👁 »

10:10 PM EST: MISSOURI, TEXAS, AND UTAH SENATE RACES CALLED

The Gateway Arch in St. Louis is lit up in blue after the Missouri Senate race is called

November 6, 2018, 10:10 PM EST: ELECTION NIGHT, CNN Headquarters, Washington D.C.

Wolf Blitzer: "We're just getting word that enough results have come in over the past few minutes for us to be able to call 2 major Senate races. In Missouri, Democratic incumbent Claire McCaskill has apparently narrowly won out over her Republican challenger, Josh Hawley. Right now it is within .5 percentage points, and if it remains that close Josh Hawley could call for a recount. I'm told there are, however, a few more precincts still out in St. Louis."

Wolf Blitzer: "And meanwhile in Texas, Republican incumbent Ted Cruz has fended off a challenge from El Paso Democratic congressman Beto O'Rourke. Congressman O'Rourke raised 10s of millions of dollars and ran a fearsome campaign, but nevertheless seems to have come up short in the Lone Star State, Cruz's lead has widened to 4 points with 97% in."

Wolf Blitzer: "And now let's go live to Claire McCaskill's victory party, where she has just begun to speak to her supporters in St. Louis."

Claire McCaskill: "... Show-me state and we did show them once again what Missouri is all about! Thank you Missouri, thank you to all of you for all your hard work! Without you we could not have done this, once again against all odds."

(Crowd cheers and begins chanting "Queen! Queen! Queen!")

Claire McCaskill: "And now we're going to go back to Washington and fight hard. For Health Care! For Education! For NGA West and other economic development in Missouri!"

CNN Cuts away

Wolf Blitzer: "And now, just for a moment, let's go to Ted Cruz's victory celebration in Houston."

Ted Cruz: "... Out of state liberals tried to buy this election, millions of dollars from New York City. Millions of dollars from Hollywood liberals. But they couldn't buy Texas! Maybe they'll give up now, but regardless of whether or not they do, I will never give up. I will always keep fighting for our Texas values! We will stand up for fine Judges like Judge Kavanaugh! We will stand up for low taxes to keep our economy strong! And at least if I have anything to do with it, we will stand up to finally repeal Obamacare and replace it with something better!"

(Crowd cheers and begins chanting "Ted! Ted! Ted!")

Ted Cruz: "You saw all their ads! You saw all their yard signs! Well, I'll tell ya what. Yard signs don't win elections. Texans do! Conservatives do! And as long as we stand by our principles, Texas will remain a red state!"

CNN Cuts away

Wolf Blitzer: "And we've also just gotten word that Mitt Romney, the 2012 Republican Presidential nominee, has won his Senate race in Utah and is now speaking to his supporters. Let's go live to Salt Like City now as well."

Mitt Romney: "We will stand up for Conservative Principles! For the principles of Ronald Reagan and the Republican Party that made America Great! For Religious Freedom! For a strong national defense! For a severe but compassionately Conservative immigration policy! We will oppose illegal immigration, we will protect our borders, but we will support and expand legal immigration. America is a nation of immigrants, and we will not forget that!"

CNN Cuts away
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies