Venice proposing 500 Euro fine for sitting in public
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:11:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Venice proposing 500 Euro fine for sitting in public
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Venice proposing 500 Euro fine for sitting in public  (Read 556 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2018, 07:54:45 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/venice-sit-down-fine/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 11:59:25 PM »

This is a good way to make sure a tourist never EVER comes back to Venice and tells all their friends not to go too.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 12:05:06 AM »

This is a good way to make sure a tourist never EVER comes back to Venice and tells all their friends not to go too.

Which is exactly what they want...and the way all European historical centres are going we as tourists have only ourselves to blame.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2018, 12:10:28 AM »

Don't they make a lot of coin from the traveling yokels though?  I know scaring them all off hurt Egypt real bad, I wouldn't think Venice is quite as reliant on them, but it seems more tourism is (almost) always better than less tourism.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2018, 02:42:29 AM »

Don't they make a lot of coin from the traveling yokels though?  I know scaring them all off hurt Egypt real bad, I wouldn't think Venice is quite as reliant on them, but it seems more tourism is (almost) always better than less tourism.

A unique place like Venice will always be visited by many people, so getting enough tourists will never become a priority. They need to limit tourism to avoid overcrowding and that is what they are doing.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2018, 03:16:15 AM »

People also care about quality of life on this continent, and the tourism industry in places like Venice and Barcelona are held by corporations who treat the employees like dirt. In Spain tourism work contracts are referred to as "tissues" in political debates because of how disposable they have become.

The main issue is also our inner cities are overcrowded due to mismanagement of both migration and tourism.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2018, 03:34:36 AM »

People also care about quality of life on this continent, and the tourism industry in places like Venice and Barcelona are held by corporations who treat the employees like dirt. In Spain tourism work contracts are referred to as "tissues" in political debates because of how disposable they have become.

The main issue is also our inner cities are overcrowded due to mismanagement of both migration and tourism.

To add to this, a huge number if cruise ships, whose passengers tend to spend very little (no hotels, usually no meals either), so the city gets very little return for all the negative effects of having a cruise ship visit (crowding, pollution and so on)
EPG
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2018, 06:28:36 AM »

Have you been to Venice? What did you think of the tourist numbers? Or is this some kind of forum for speculation without expertise? The real problem Venice faces is being overwhelmed by extremely low-value tourists (cruise ships etc) who drive out larger spenders and potential return visitors.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 06:55:56 AM »

A lot of the times I feel that excess loathing of tourists is a bit overkill, but Venice is definitely one of the worst hit. Worth noting that even UNESCO said the city's status as a heritage site would be under danger of they didn't solve the problems that were coming from excessive tourism.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 11:43:21 AM »

It is already insufferable in Amsterdam - I can only imagine how much worse it is in Venice. This is the sort of proposal that sounds extremely unsympathetic, but may well be necessary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies