Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:47:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 72
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread v2: Hagedorn vs. Neubauer  (Read 86775 times)
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2018, 11:05:42 AM »

Mitchell hitting Milwaukee-area airwaves hard. Not sure whether the final push will be enough to push him past the others, but this race is going to be close. My guess is that Evers wins by a small margin, with Mitchell the runner-up. It all depends on whether Milwaukee flexes some of its muscle, which seems doubtful if one looks at the 2016 general results as well as this spring's election turnout (relative to the rest of the state).

My opinion of the MKE area, outside of politics (although, as we can see, the city's residents have gone out of their way to show that they don't really care all that much), is overall very poor. So far, it's been the most disappointing city I've visited.
Milwaukee's problem is that 1) it tries to play second-fiddle to Chicago instead of trying to develop its own niche and identity, and 2) it's followed the same patterns and traits of every post-industrial Midwestern city.

Milwaukee's problem is the old German roots, it's cheap and people have the "this is Milwaukee we can't do that/have nice things" no matter how much the city is booming and people are trying to help. It's one of the densest cities outside of the big cities in the country, it would be perfect for rail but the WOW counties are actively trying to destroy the city while getting the benefits of it for free. For example a regional transit authority is illegal per state law.

weird question, but could a D trifecta allowing a public transit network, followed by Milwaukee making one w/ Kenosha and Racine cause WOW to trend R and the southern+Milwaukee county suburbs to trend D, at least at the local and state levels?

With the gerrymander it'll be almost impossible for them to have a D trifecta. Then the problem is that a lot in Madison and outstate if not outright hate are ambivalent to Milwaukee. The biggest goof up was Doyle vetoing a RTS because it wasn't perfect. Milwaukee has a streetcar now, that's what we're going to have to be satisfied with expanding for a long time.
Its possible to get the governorship and the senate, but not the house. But with 2 chambers, it should be easy to make a D-leaning map for the senate, house, and national house, unless the state operates like NY, where each chamber makes its own map.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #251 on: August 07, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »

On a second note I suspect Evers will win by at least a 25% margin.

In regards to the primary, I absolutely agree with you.

I think people underrestimate Walker's vulnerability for this election. I don't think Vinehout has a chance against Walker. I was going to vote for McCabe, but Evers seems more experienced and knowledgeable, so I think I'll be voting for him. I dom't umderstand why prople still think Walker has a good chance of winning, even after a Democrat won a statewide race recently and two senate seats have been flipped in heavy Trump districts.

I disagree. Take a look at his approvals in the recent Marquette poll, especially compared to Tammy Baldwin's approvals. He's sitting at 47% approval. Tammy is at 41%. He still has very strong support with those who are dedicated to turning out to vote.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #252 on: August 07, 2018, 04:36:31 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2018, 04:45:29 PM by Wisconsinite »

And I disagree with you. The Marquette Poll also indicates that Evers is leading Walker by a small margin. I rest my case: Walker is more vulnerable than he was in the previous three elections, and Tammy Baldwin IS leading.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2018, 05:54:11 PM »

And I disagree with you. The Marquette Poll also indicates that Evers is leading Walker by a small margin. I rest my case: Walker is more vulnerable than he was in the previous three elections, and Tammy Baldwin IS leading.

Um, no, it didn't. Tammy is leading, but Marquette did not show that for Walker.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/blogs/wisconsin-voter/2018/08/01/polls-scott-walker-faces-tougher-re-election-path-than-tammy-baldwin/874434002/

You can disagree all you want, but you haven't provided anything to back up your argument, and you straight-up were incorrect in your claim about Evers just now. The article I linked does mention other polls that show Evers leading, but I trust Marquette most in regards to Wisconsin and it did not show Evers leading.

I also believe Tammy's approval ratings (the 41%) more appropriately reflect feelings on Democrats that will affect the governor's race than her reelection poll results, mostly because she has the benefit of being an incumbent, as does Walker.
Scottholes 2.0
Wisconsinite
United States

« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »

I still rest my case and assert that Walker is more vulnerable than he was during the preceding elections. He's never been very popular anyway. It is possible for Evers (although I'm not a huge fan of him) to beat Walker, but it is also possible for Walker to win. We have the next few months to see how this race plays out with both of their campaigns. Some people here on the Atlas Forum have this race as Lean D, for a good reason.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #255 on: August 10, 2018, 08:59:42 AM »

Former Walker cabinet official claims in a new book that Scott Walker and Brad Schimel drove him to the brink of suicide.

mcmikk
thealmightypiplup

« Reply #256 on: August 10, 2018, 05:53:20 PM »

Former Walker cabinet official claims in a new book that Scott Walker and Brad Schimel drove him to the brink of suicide.

Ouch.

Though, sadly, this book isn't going to make any bit of difference one way or the other in the election.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #257 on: August 14, 2018, 11:50:45 AM »

Dane County:

America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #258 on: August 14, 2018, 12:06:52 PM »

Wisconsin in general tends to have very high turnout.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #259 on: August 14, 2018, 12:19:50 PM »

For comparison, 2016 August primary turnout was 6.5%.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #260 on: August 14, 2018, 01:33:52 PM »

Final update from my colleague tracking this primary - Evers consolidating support in the final few days, Roys has surged over the past few weeks but her support seems to be leveling off.
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #261 on: August 14, 2018, 09:15:11 PM »

AP calls Dem nomination for Evers. Barnes for LG as well.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #262 on: August 14, 2018, 09:17:47 PM »

Might as well post this here:

libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #263 on: August 14, 2018, 09:43:48 PM »

Might as well post this here:

Geez, aren't you a month late, eh there, Crystal Ball?
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #264 on: August 14, 2018, 09:55:30 PM »

The Republican primary votes in the WOW counties greatly outnumber the Dem primary votes. I thought it would have been closer but I guess the WOW counties are pretty Republican even nowadays.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #265 on: August 14, 2018, 10:00:01 PM »

The Republican primary votes in the WOW counties greatly outnumber the Dem primary votes. I thought it would have been closer but I guess the WOW counties are pretty Republican even nowadays.

WOW didn't really move a lot in 2016 though, and they are extremely inelastic. Even Evers lost two of those counties as he was winning by 40 points statewide.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #266 on: August 14, 2018, 10:04:58 PM »

You know there is a Senate GOP primary right? and one of the candidates is from Waukesha?
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #267 on: August 14, 2018, 10:06:52 PM »

Thunder98 🇮🇱 🤝 🇵🇸
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #268 on: August 14, 2018, 10:33:09 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2018, 10:38:10 PM by Thunder98 »

Huge Democratic turnout and swing in Eau Claire County. Comparing the 2018 GOV primaries to the 2016 General Elections percentages.

2018 Gubernatorial Primaries:

Dems 67.7% - GOP 32.2%

2016 Presidential Election Results

Clinton 50.4% - Trump 43.1%

https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/wisconsin/

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #269 on: August 14, 2018, 10:33:48 PM »

Huge Democratic turnout in Eau Claire County. Comparing the 2018 GOV primaries to the 2016 General Elections percentages.

2018 Gubernatorial Primaries:

Dems 67.7% - GOP 32.2%

2016 Presidential Election Results

Clinton 50.4% - Trump 43.1%

https://www.politico.com/election-results/2018/wisconsin/

WI is gonna whiplash hard.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #270 on: August 14, 2018, 10:41:26 PM »

Sauk County, where I live, very narrowly voted for Trump in 2016.

Right now the Dems are outpacing the GOP 6,300 votes to 3,800 votes here. Mandela Barnes has more votes than Scott Walker, and Barnes is only winning his primary with 67% of the vote.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #271 on: August 14, 2018, 10:48:34 PM »

Democrats received more primary votes than Republicans. Does Evers beat Walker?
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #272 on: August 14, 2018, 10:58:13 PM »

Glad to see Mahlon Mitchell in second thus far, as he was my other personal favorite. Wish Vinehout could have done better, but she came in about where I expected. I'm not excited about Evers, but I'll be supporting him.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #273 on: August 14, 2018, 11:01:02 PM »

Democrats received more primary votes than Republicans. Does Evers beat Walker?

Primary turnout can be helpful to see what kind of enthusiasm gap there is, but it's not really the best for predicting general election results unless it's a top-two primary.

I suppose you could try to make some broad predictions about the overall GE result of all the races if the primary vote is insanely lopsided, though.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #274 on: August 14, 2018, 11:02:00 PM »

Over 6,000 people voted for Nehlen in WI-01. That's over 6,000 too many--frightening.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 72  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies