MI Reuters/Ipsos/UVA: Whitmer +13 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:13:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2018 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  MI Reuters/Ipsos/UVA: Whitmer +13 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MI Reuters/Ipsos/UVA: Whitmer +13  (Read 1593 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« on: September 26, 2018, 12:22:59 PM »

I'm happy for Michigan. However, is this enough to flip the State Senate? Redistricting is gonna be a huge deal in 2 years.

I don't know if it will be - there are a lot of open seats, so it's actually more possible than it's been in a long time, if that helps at all. Keep in mind that Democrats won the popular vote for state House districts by 8 points in 2012 yet failed to flip the chamber. They need to win around 10 - 11 points to flip the state House I think, and that may also be enough for the state Senate. It's definitely possible this year.

However, it's not needed to stop R gerrymandering in Michigan. Whitmer can veto rigged maps, and there is an amendment on the ballot to take redistricting away from the legislature and put it into an independent commission. Both Whitmer and the indie commission amendment look likely to win.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 03:53:07 PM »

Why they keep polling this State so assiduously is beyond me.

I wish they would poll the ballot initiatives and state legislative / generic ballot stuff instead. We already know Whitmer has this locked down. What is more important to know now is how the other races will go. It's particularly noteworthy this cycle since a huge wave of open seats via term limits has possibly put the entire legislature in play for the first time in a long while.

And that's on top of the possibility of Michigan not only getting marijuana legalization, but redistricting reform and a huge package of pro-voter access reforms that would bring MI from one of the worst states in terms of voting rights to the top 10, overnight.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies