The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:12:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 74
Author Topic: The BlueSwan Basement of Absurd & Ignorant Posts VIII  (Read 168825 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: November 22, 2019, 01:57:39 PM »
« edited: November 22, 2019, 02:54:10 PM by Speaker YE »

Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden (R-DE) endorses President Donald J. Trump (R-FL):

Good to see Joe endorsing his fellow Republican

The context here being that Joe told people protesting him for Obama-era deportations and asking him to not take from corporations, he responded condescendingly and told them to "Vote for Trump"

Even if he should have responded differently, doesn't change the fact it's ridiculous to claim he's a Republican, as people on the left have done multiple times.

You literally supported Trump at the beginning of his campaign because of the deficit.  You are the only person who can say they were that stupid to support Donald J. Trump because of... the deficit.

I never supported Trump unironically, but you Berniebros deserve Trump if you can't support another Democratic nominee than Saint Bernard.

Bernie's not even my first choice but ok boomer.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1426 on: November 22, 2019, 02:28:52 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2019, 02:39:59 PM by Speaker YE »

As far as "I never supported Trump unironically”, well let's take a trip down memory lane...

Most liked:

- Donald Trump (yes, I have disagreements with him over climate change, gun control, immigration in most parts and the minimum wage; so I agree with him on 60-65% of the issues; and he's a damn good speaker. Other pros: Self funding and mostly good foreign policy views)

The Donald. Without any doubt. Kasich and Christie are also acceptable.

The Donald, because he's the most able to work with congress and both parties.

TRUUUUUUUUUUUUMP. Democrats for TRUMP!
But I'm not eligiable to vote in the US. Too bad. But I'd vote for The Donald.

Very mixed feelings. Her political views are relatively close to mine in domestic affairs, maybe even a little more than TRUMP's (although I support ~70% of The Donald's views). But I doubt she's trustworthy. I like TRUMP and Kasich better.

Actually optimistic, but I think there will be gridlock. DC needs to be shaken up, and the man to do this is TRUMP.

If I were an American citizen, yes. I would, as of today, vote for TRUMP. But would also vote straight Democratic in congressional elections.

A president and former world-class businessman who ended stupid trade deals, eliminated the deficit, presided over an economic boom who had a great sense of humor and was a great communicator.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1427 on: November 22, 2019, 02:33:14 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2019, 03:13:07 PM by Speaker YE »

Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden (R-DE) endorses President Donald J. Trump (R-FL):

The context here being that Joe told people protesting him for Obama-era deportations and asking him to not take from corporations, he responded condescendingly and told them to "Vote for Trump"

Even if he should have responded differently, doesn't change the fact it's ridiculous to claim he's a Republican, as people on the left have done multiple times.

You literally supported Trump at the beginning of his campaign because of the deficit.  You are the only person who can say they were that stupid to support Donald J. Trump because of... the deficit.

I never supported Trump unironically, but you Berniebros deserve Trump if you can't support another Democratic nominee than Saint Bernard.

Ah yes, the guy who went by *ahem* Warren Peace is a #BernieOrBuster who can't support other candidates. Casual sexism and racism aside, your argument is wrong.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1428 on: November 22, 2019, 02:46:16 PM »
« Edited: November 22, 2019, 03:11:36 PM by Speaker YE »

As far as "I never supported Trump unironically”, well let's take a trip down memory lane...

You don't seem to understand that it was irony, come on. But in retrospect, I admit, stupid irony.

Ah yes, the guy who went by *ahem* Warren Peace is a #BernieOrBuster who can't support other candidates. Casual sexism and racism aside, your argument is wrong.

What does that have to do with racism or sexism? I just can't stand the my way or the highway mentality. If you don't like Joe Biden that's fine, but if you don't vote for him in a general, don't be surprised if Trump wins again tears down all the rest that's left.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1429 on: November 22, 2019, 03:10:14 PM »

What does that have to do with racism or sexism? I just can't stand the my way or the highway mentality. If you don't like Joe Biden that's fine, but if you don't vote for him in a general, don't be surprised if Trump wins again tears down all the rest that's left.

There are ways to express that disdain without marginalizing the women/supporters of color on Bernie's campaign.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1430 on: November 22, 2019, 03:19:11 PM »

There are ways to express that disdain without marginalizing the women/supporters of color on Bernie's campaign.

I did not specify any indivual demographics of Bernie's supporters and never intended. All I'm saying is that anyone who wants Trump gone needs to back whoever the Democratic nominee will be.

What relates to Scott, I have no idea whether Bernie is his first choice or not, other than he insulted Joe Biden as a*clown and suggested he was a Republican. I find that disrespectful, regardless of whether you like his policies or not (I think it's hard to argue he's a bad person). As Biden supporter, I would never insult Bernie Sanders on a personal level, because it's not how you argue. I think Bernie is alright as a person even if I have disagreements with him over policies.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1431 on: November 22, 2019, 03:24:22 PM »

I did not specify any indivual demographics of Bernie's supporters and never intended. All I'm saying is that anyone who wants Trump gone needs to back whoever the Democratic nominee will be.

I got you, we're square. You've shown a hell of a lot more understanding of the term than some of the other users here have.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1432 on: November 22, 2019, 05:58:33 PM »

Most liked:

- Donald Trump (yes, I have disagreements with him over climate change, gun control, immigration in most parts and the minimum wage; so I agree with him on 60-65% of the issues; and he's a damn good speaker. Other pros: Self funding and mostly good foreign policy views)

The Donald. Without any doubt. Kasich and Christie are also acceptable.

The Donald, because he's the most able to work with congress and both parties.

TRUUUUUUUUUUUUMP. Democrats for TRUMP!
But I'm not eligiable to vote in the US. Too bad. But I'd vote for The Donald.

Very mixed feelings. Her political views are relatively close to mine in domestic affairs, maybe even a little more than TRUMP's (although I support ~70% of The Donald's views). But I doubt she's trustworthy. I like TRUMP and Kasich better.

Actually optimistic, but I think there will be gridlock. DC needs to be shaken up, and the man to do this is TRUMP.

If I were an American citizen, yes. I would, as of today, vote for TRUMP. But would also vote straight Democratic in congressional elections.

A president and former world-class businessman who ended stupid trade deals, eliminated the deficit, presided over an economic boom who had a great sense of humor and was a great communicator.

It’s obvious from looking at those posts , he is joking . Like take this post lmao

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #1433 on: November 22, 2019, 06:39:59 PM »

All I'm saying is that anyone who wants Trump gone needs to back whoever the Democratic nominee will be.

A lot of us on the "left" agree with you here. I hate to be Mr. "Both Sides", but there are certainly moderates who only want party unity as long as Biden is the nominee, but are happy to let Trump have four more years if Sanders or Warren is the nominee. Sanders himself said that he'll back the eventual nominee, as he's done in every recent election, but Manchin claimed that he would not support Sanders if he won the nomination. It gets annoying when it seems like we're always the only ones who need to "compromise", and yet there are plenty of moderates who also have a "my way or the highway" attitude.

Now, to your credit, you haven't done that, to my knowledge. I believe you've said that you would support Sanders or Warren over Trump despite your differences with them, and your support for Biden seems primarily about how much you like him. That's fine, and it's good that you don't take every opportunity to dunk on Sanders or Warren like some posters. I just hope that you understand that many of us on the left do compromise quite a bit, we have for a while, and we just want those who support Biden to be willing to do some compromising of their own if a candidate further from the center wins the nomination.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1434 on: November 22, 2019, 06:45:03 PM »

All I'm saying is that anyone who wants Trump gone needs to back whoever the Democratic nominee will be.

A lot of us on the "left" agree with you here. I hate to be Mr. "Both Sides", but there are certainly moderates who only want party unity as long as Biden is the nominee, but are happy to let Trump have four more years if Sanders or Warren is the nominee. Sanders himself said that he'll back the eventual nominee, as he's done in every recent election, but Manchin claimed that he would not support Sanders if he won the nomination. It gets annoying when it seems like we're always the only ones who need to "compromise", and yet there are plenty of moderates who also have a "my way or the highway" attitude.

Now, to your credit, you haven't done that, to my knowledge. I believe you've said that you would support Sanders or Warren over Trump despite your differences with them, and your support for Biden seems primarily about how much you like him. That's fine, and it's good that you don't take every opportunity to dunk on Sanders or Warren like some posters. I just hope that you understand that many of us on the left do compromise quite a bit, we have for a while, and we just want those who support Biden to be willing to do some compromising of their own if a candidate further from the center wins the nomination.

Not to mention the deafening silence from the "Bernie's not a Democrat" crowd when Bloomberg announced his run.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1435 on: November 23, 2019, 07:48:42 AM »

You never know, a NH pick could come in handy. The state wasn't supposed to be close in 2016 and Trump almost won.
New Hampshire has a Republican Governor.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1436 on: November 23, 2019, 10:23:08 AM »

Thank you, Scott, for pulling the footage. It really is ridiculous that PJ’s first ever incarnation was as a Trump supporter and everyone pretends this didn’t happen. Even if it was “ironic” (Roll Eyes), it has never been addressed and he transitioned out of it just in time. Hilarious that OSR, who I don’t know to have ever understood sarcasm, apparently thinks PJ’s “irony” was obvious.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1437 on: November 23, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »

The take that Israel is a rich, white, European colony that shouldn't exist is hot garbage. For many historical and contemporary reasons, there needs to be a Jewish state in the Jewish homeland. Calling Jews rich white Europeans who intrude into places where they don't belong, is the essence of anti-semitism. We were called rich people intruding into places where we don't belong when we tried to make a home in Spain, France, Germany, Poland, Hungary, and Russia.

The take that the State of Israel is committing war crimes and engaging in apartheid, the occupation of the West Bank and Gaza is terribly unjust to the Arab people living there, and the settlements are illegal and damaging to the cause of peace, is solid, and it's a take I agree with. There is nothing anti-semitic about that. I think Netanyahu is satanic, as do pretty much all liberal Jews.

Finally, making a false equivalency between leftist accusations of "colonialism" against Israel and right-wing, white supremacist hatred of Jews, is a repulsive talking point used by the right. They are in no way the same. It's a canard used to discredit the vast majority of the left, who are fighting for diversity and respect for all people regardless of ethnicity or national origin.

You seem to be suggesting that a history of persecution distinguishes Zionism from other European colonial projects, despite the fact that the reality on the ground is essentially indistinguishable. Did oppression endured in the UK justify the Irish and Pilgrims' mistreatment of Native Americans? I recognize the Jews had it much worse much more recently, but I'm trying to establish a general principle.  

Except that Jews are native to the Levant and have had a continuous presence there for at least 2500 years. If the Irish and Pilgrims were native to the Americas, most were forced out 2000 years ago except a few small communities that remained, over the course of the next 1900 years they were persecuted and expelled from everywhere they tried to make a home in Europe, then many started migrating back to the Americas to join their brethren who had been there the whole time, then you might have a good analogy.

We're not going to play this silly game. I could name countless ethnic/sectarian groups that have maintained a token presence in territory they held a thousand years ago, despite the bulk of the population migrating elsewhere. No, they don't all have a right of return spanning a millennia. You're engaged in ethnically-motivated special pleading, AKA, tribalism. AKA, the same framework the Christian right will once again bludgeon you with when the time is right.

Disgusting, but thoroughly expected.

This is why there's no point in debating hard-line antizionists. They hold Jews to a standard no other group in the world is subject to [...]

Hahahaha! Yeah, I'm a HUGE proponent of colonialism and apartheid! Everyone except the Jews! /s.

[...] that our right to exist safely in a territory won multiple times in war is subject to public approval at all times.

Wars not make one great! Predictably, the proponents of Israeli territorial aggression always revert to might makes right. Except, you know, that time the Christian right in Germany was much more powerful than its targets, and disposed of them with industrial precision. So much crying! Yeah, that was a tragedy, but otherwise, suck it up snowflake, bow to our military power!

BTW: You have to give Norman Finkelstein credit for revealing what an unprincipled POS Alan Dershowitz is on Democracy Now!. Who could've predicted Dershowitz's FNC heel turn? Well, Finkelstein, for one ...
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1438 on: November 24, 2019, 01:23:27 AM »

Thank you, Scott, for pulling the footage. It really is ridiculous that PJ’s first ever incarnation was as a Trump supporter and everyone pretends this didn’t happen. Even if it was “ironic” (Roll Eyes), it has never been addressed and he transitioned out of it just in time. Hilarious that OSR, who I don’t know to have ever understood sarcasm, apparently thinks PJ’s “irony” was obvious.

Why does President Johnson get flack for this when Leif never got flack for this despite Leif being a much bigger ironic Trump supporter than President Johnson
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1439 on: November 24, 2019, 01:27:47 AM »

Funny how posters like President Johnson, and Fuzzy Bear get so much flack from this forum when they are one of the least partisan posters on here
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1440 on: November 24, 2019, 01:29:57 AM »

Funny how posters like President Johnson, and Fuzzy Bear get so much flack from this forum when they are one of the least partisan posters on here

People feel threatened by them.  They don't know how to react to kindness.
YE
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1441 on: November 24, 2019, 01:30:29 AM »

Why does President Johnson get flack for this when Leif never got flack for this despite Leif being a much bigger ironic Trump supporter than President Johnson

Lief never posts on Old Atlas anymore. That may be why.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #1442 on: November 24, 2019, 01:31:21 AM »

It's very clearly not irony. There is nothing ironic about deciding between Trump and Kasich. The posts make genuine rationales and cite overall agreement on the issues and point out Trump's shortcomings. The all caps trolling is a feature of both types of supporters.

Lief's irony ended the second the primary concluded. Johnson identified an explicit moment in the campaign (gold star families?) as the reason for the transition.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #1443 on: November 24, 2019, 04:38:41 AM »

My political beliefs actually went closer to the center since 2013, when I became a member of the Social Democratic Party of Germany (ironically the same day I registered on the forum). I was more to the left until about 2015/16. What moderated my views is being in business through a new job and a number of real life friends. Trump-related posts I made four years ago were mostly exaggerated "irony" that I stopped at a point it was no longer sustainable for myself, and in retrospect I realize it was stupid and apologize for it if anyone felt offended.

The original point in this thread, however, was the smear of Joe Biden as an a*clown and Republican. If folks on the left don't like him for political issues, that's fine, but as I already said, he doesn't deserved to be attacked as a person. Another point I made is that any anti-Trumper not voting for the Democrat shouldn't be surprised if he gets another four years and tears down everything people left of center care about.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1444 on: November 24, 2019, 12:22:03 PM »

It's very clearly not irony. There is nothing ironic about deciding between Trump and Kasich. The posts make genuine rationales and cite overall agreement on the issues and point out Trump's shortcomings. The all caps trolling is a feature of both types of supporters.

Exactly. As odd as it always seemed from the perspective of the casual observer, Trump as the liberal choice on all but immigration was an underlying theme of the primary battle, and someone choosing among him, Kasich, and Christie resembles the choice that many NE GOP members made. I can easily see it being the same choice that a moderate hero admirer from across the way with a spectator’s level of interest would make.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1445 on: November 25, 2019, 11:06:00 PM »

No.

As for why these students should be allowed to go to school, beyond what was already said:

• They're minors. They don't get to choose where their parents take them. We should not punish them for the mistakes of their parents.
  • American schools don't have a citizenship requirement for attendance.
  • Undocumented migrants pay taxes, too.

The laws of the United States are not suspended in public schools.  There is no reason ICE should not be in schools enforcing the laws of the United States any more than School Resource Officers or Child Protective Services should not be in schools.  You don't like the law.  Too bad.  Work to change it, but obey it and enforce it until it's changed.

The idea that American schools "don't have a citizenship requirement" is kind of a red herring.  They have residence requirements.  Just try to enroll your child in that "better" school district whose boundaries start 3 blocks from your house.  The idea the "undocumented migrants" pay taxes is ridiculous; they don't pay the taxes that fund schools (which, for better or worse, are property taxes in most locales).  

Now I do believe in allowing the children of illegal immigrants to attend public schools.  It's in the interest of American citizens that we do that.  (And, by the way, it's ONLY what's in the interest of American citizens that matters here.)  We have had our time in history where we had "street urchin" children roaming the streets idly.  (My Dad, who would be 109 years old if he were alive today, was placed in an orphanage when his Mom died because his Dad did not believe he could work the hours he needed to work and keep tabs on my Dad and his brother, and my Dad grew up to attend Ohio University at a time when going to college was a BIG deal.)  That was not a good thing.  I believe in giving illegal aliens driver licenses so they can get insurance so that when they inflict damage on others from poor driving, impacted motorists and passengers won't have to lean on the "uninsured motorist coverage" pool.  

But these people aren't owed crap, and should only be given (by taxpayer dollars) what is in the interest of American citizens.  We don't owe illegal aliens anything, and we owe our citizens safety and fiscal soundness.  The wave of illegal aliens in America undermine both of those.

This post actually saddened me.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1446 on: November 25, 2019, 11:44:57 PM »
« Edited: November 25, 2019, 11:55:59 PM by Tartarus Sauce »

This is the first time I can recall somebody actually reaming Johnson for his Trump supporting phase. Maybe there were other instances and I just haven't noticed, but Johnson doesn't strike me as a frequent target of attack, at least not on the level of Fuzzy Bear.

Fuzzy has become way more partisan than you are giving him credit for, at least as far as Atlas interactions go if not voting habits. He's gradually adopted more of the bad tendencies of his worst tormentors alongside some previously existing ones that were already questionable.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1447 on: November 26, 2019, 11:48:38 AM »

I am considering voting for Bloomberg but haven't decided yet, Buttigieg only gets 10% and Biden is corrupted,  and Warren and Sanders are socialists
Click for context and avatar.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1448 on: November 26, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »

He thinks the "S-CA" stands for "secular," let him live
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1449 on: November 26, 2019, 12:52:04 PM »

I am considering voting for Bloomberg but haven't decided yet, Buttigieg only gets 10% and Biden is corrupted,  and Warren and Sanders are socialists
Click for context and avatar.

I think the "S" stands for "secular"
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 74  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies