White ethnic Roman Catholic/Episcopalian strongholds in American cities today
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:49:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  White ethnic Roman Catholic/Episcopalian strongholds in American cities today
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White ethnic Roman Catholic/Episcopalian strongholds in American cities today  (Read 2448 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 28, 2018, 03:50:15 PM »

Other than New York City's Staten Island, Bensonhurst/Dyker Heights/Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, Throggs Neck/Pelham/Morris Park, Bronx, Glendale/Maspeth/Middle Village/Howard Beach, Queens, and Northeastern Philadelphia, that I can think of; are there any prominent Italian and Irish blue collar ethnic strongholds across American cities?

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2018, 09:07:27 AM »

Rome NY which I visited as part of a kayaking adventure on a local river, seem dominated by Italians (e.g. most restaurants in town were Italian). After my visit, I liked to joke that the only two things Rome, NY and Rome, Italy had in common were 1) their name, and 2) largely inhabited by Italians. Sadly Rome, NY is an ugly rust belt city.   
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »

Rome NY which I visited as part of a kayaking adventure on a local river, seem dominated by Italians (e.g. most restaurants in town were Italian). After my visit, I liked to joke that the only two things Rome, NY and Rome, Italy had in common were 1) their name, and 2) largely inhabited by Italians. Sadly Rome, NY is an ugly rust belt city.    

Your perception of Rome, NY as dominated by Italians is correct. It is the top ancestry group in much of the city (and Utica). Curiously, the top ancestry group in some of the more rural parts of the county is American - something you more commonly see in the South.

Anyway, my Top Ancestry or Hispanic or Racial subgroup map based on the 2012-16 ACS is here:
https://www.thecinyc.com/top-ancestry-hisp-race

It should answer a lot of bronz4141's questions.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 11:25:51 PM »

Your perception of Rome, NY as dominated by Italians is correct. It is the top ancestry group in much of the city (and Utica). Curiously, the top ancestry group in some of the more rural parts of the county is American - something you more commonly see in the South.

Anyway, my Top Ancestry or Hispanic or Racial subgroup map based on the 2012-16 ACS is here:

Those are mostly people who have no remotely recent immigrant ancestors: by and large their lineage is various people from the British Isles who emigrated to North America in the 18th century or earlier. If you wanted to coerce them into picking something, English or Scots-Irish would probably be the most accurate choices for most of them.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 11:44:02 PM »

Those are mostly people who have no remotely recent immigrant ancestors: by and large their lineage is various people from the British Isles who emigrated to North America in the 18th century or earlier. If you wanted to coerce them into picking something, English or Scots-Irish would probably be the most accurate choices for most of them.

Ancestry.com's DNA data says they're mostly from Great Britain in some way.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 01:40:29 AM »

Yeah, but I don't know why rural Oneida County's top ancestry is American. As the map shows, that's not true in most of the North, outside maybe of parts of Vermont. It's usually more of a Southern thing.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 05:47:14 PM »

The towns in the southern part of the county reached their maximum in the 19th Century. (Augusta in 1820 and Bridgewater 1830.). This would have been tied to the building of the Erie Canal which would open the area to settlement. Rome is the high point of the canal, and these southern areas are out from the Mohawk Valley so not primo farmland. Settlers would be more likely to be those who did not have much in the way of money. Settlers would be Yankees with some Dutch, German, and Ulster Scots. Elder children of large families would migrate west. When sons reached marriageable age, the father would would still be able. No bride wants to be second fiddle to her mother-in-law in the house, and the groom would be under the command of his father. The younger son would be more likely to take over the farm, perhaps caring for his widowed mother or invalid father.

After 8 to 10 generations any ties to England, Germany, etc. would be erased. I suspect that if you look at the Census records from the late 1890 or 1910 you will find most persons were New York born of New York born parents. The results will be quite different from Rome or Utica.

Areas south of Rome and Utica along the New York Thruway have increased in population post WWII. Any new factories in the area would be built here, where large single-story factories could be built. Factory buildings in Utica and Rome would either have fallen over or converted to brew pubs or restaurants. There would also be service jobs for the Thruway.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 05:50:10 PM »

Yeah, but I don't know why rural Oneida County's top ancestry is American. As the map shows, that's not true in most of the North, outside maybe of parts of Vermont. It's usually more of a Southern thing.
Looking at a zoomed out view, the question is really, why is it American rather than German?

The Irish areas to the west are because Syracuse is large enough to influence the surrounding areas. Utica and Rome aren't.

Do you have a map showing American percentage?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2018, 06:07:47 PM »

Looking at a zoomed out view, the question is really, why is it American rather than German?

The Irish areas to the west are because Syracuse is large enough to influence the surrounding areas. Utica and Rome aren't.

Do you have a map showing American percentage?

Yes:
https://www.thecinyc.com/american
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 11:13:05 AM »

South Boston with the Irish Catholics. There’s been enough yuppie influx to swing it to the dems though
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2018, 04:19:39 PM »

The Hill in South St. Louis City is an ethnic Italian neighborhood, still like 80% italian.

The southwestern wards of St. Louis City are mostly mixed catholic neighborhoods.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2018, 04:42:38 PM »

Why is Episcopalian being lumped in here? There are basically zero Italian Episcopalians. I guess there might be some Church of Ireland Irish Americans but certainly not very many.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2018, 04:44:47 PM »

Why is Episcopalian being lumped in here? There are basically zero Italian Episcopalians. I guess there might be some Church of Ireland Irish Americans but certainly not very many.

Fiorello LaGuardia
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »

Fiorello LaGuardia

Roll Eyes
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2018, 05:40:28 PM »

Fiorello LaGuardia

Roll Eyes

He was Episcopalian his whole life.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2018, 05:53:29 PM »

South Philadelphia
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 11:45:42 AM »

Fiorello LaGuardia

Roll Eyes

Still, only one guy. Per Wiki, Italian Americans are only 14% Protestant, and I seriously doubt Episcopals make even moderate proportion of those.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 11:35:20 PM »

Fiorello LaGuardia

Roll Eyes

Still, only one guy. Per Wiki, Italian Americans are only 14% Protestant, and I seriously doubt Episcopals make even moderate proportion of those.

Weirdly enough, I actually grew up knowing a family of Italian-American Episcopalians.

According to the dad, his grandfather (whose parents emigrated from Italy) had become a successful small business owner in NYC, and eventually concluded that he'd have an easier time gaining entry into the business community if he were Episcopalian, since so many bankers and other influential people were. So he joined the Episcopal Church, baptized his children as Episcopalians and the children and grandchildren "married up" (into other Episcopalian families).
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 01:51:06 AM »

So yeah apparently there's more than "basically zero" Italian-American Episcopalians.

I also remember a blog of an Episcopalian-affiliated emergent group in Brooklyn that had a writer with a very Italian surname.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 05:47:38 PM »

While there's certainly a small number of people of Italian ancestry who are Episcopalian, I'm not sure why they merit discuss specifically.  I also doubt many of these Italian American Episcopalians live in ethnic enclaves.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2018, 07:23:53 PM »

So yeah apparently there's more than "basically zero" Italian-American Episcopalians.

I also remember a blog of an Episcopalian-affiliated emergent group in Brooklyn that had a writer with a very Italian surname.

One family plus Fiorello LaGuardia is still basically zero, i.e., such a small number as to be essentially irrelevant as a demographic for all intents and purposes.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2018, 08:02:58 AM »

I'm in the second group (depending on how you define Irish)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »

Some sections are Italian, but South Philly is only about 52% white as a whole. https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/resources/Maps/White_Percentage_Population_2010.pdf

You can see some other maps here:   https://www.phila.gov/CityPlanning/resources/Pages/Maps.aspx
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies