How did the Nazis plan to avoid severe inbreeding?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:28:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  How did the Nazis plan to avoid severe inbreeding?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How did the Nazis plan to avoid severe inbreeding?  (Read 938 times)
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2018, 01:22:22 AM »
« edited: September 30, 2018, 01:25:48 AM by HillGoose »

I ask because the idea of a race of "full blooded Aryans" basically sounds to me like a bunch of inbreeding. So like say the Nazis did win WW2, what was their plan to avoid becoming a physically/mentally disabled and sterile nation of sister-cousins and brother-uncles 25, 50, 100 years down the road?

Did they think there would be any room for procreating with the people in the lands they had conquered or was it all "We kill them all and then populate the land with pure Aryans" without thinking too much about it?

In my mind it's just common sense that it wouldn't work out well for them, so why didn't they see it?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 06:44:16 AM »

I don’t know if they ever got that far in their thinking. It would presumably be several generations before that became a problem. What is interesting is the extent to which the Nazis found themselves forced to compromise and improvise on their racial policies as they moved East and discovered there wasn’t as clear-cut a distinction between Germans and Slavs in the areas under occupation as they had imagined. They need up counting as “Aryan” people with a variety of ancestral mixes, I believe.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:59:14 AM »

What's the problem? Even under the narrowest definitions, there were tens of millions of Aryans at the time. They could easily have only married each other without genetic deformities.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »

What's the problem? Even under the narrowest definitions, there were tens of millions of Aryans at the time. They could easily have only married each other without genetic deformities.
that's my thinking too.  I don't know how small a population can be without risk of inbreeding, but I know it's a WAY smaller number than whatever the Axis would have ended up with if everything had turned out perfectly for them (even if you leave the Japanese out of it).
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 12:24:31 PM »

I ask because the idea of a race of "full blooded Aryans" basically sounds to me like a bunch of inbreeding. So like say the Nazis did win WW2, what was their plan to avoid becoming a physically/mentally disabled and sterile nation of sister-cousins and brother-uncles 25, 50, 100 years down the road?

Did they think there would be any room for procreating with the people in the lands they had conquered or was it all "We kill them all and then populate the land with pure Aryans" without thinking too much about it?

In my mind it's just common sense that it wouldn't work out well for them, so why didn't they see it?
Please do not call "appalling ignorance about how the world works" common sense. If inbreeding was that severe, humanity would have gone extinct long ago, since of course throughout history the vast majority of relationships were within the same ethnic group and in the vast majority of these with people within the same settlement or those in the immediate vicinity. It's not exactly clear how big a population group would have to be to avoid dying out due to the harmful effects of interbreeding, but 5000 is probably the largest reasonable estimate.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 12:49:13 PM »

I was thinking the same thing.  It seems the Nazis (at least originally) put as much of an emphasis on Germanic heritage as they did German speakers.  In other words, a lot of Nazis would absolutely consider Danes or Swedes Aryan.  Once you count up the populations of Germany, Denmark, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, the UK and the Netherlands (even if only certain portions "counted" to them), you more or less have "Northern Europe."  No one thinks all of Northern Europe would inbreed itself, LOL.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2018, 12:56:15 PM »

Please do not call "appalling ignorance about how the world works" common sense. If inbreeding was that severe, humanity would have gone extinct long ago, since of course throughout history the vast majority of relationships were within the same ethnic group and in the vast majority of these with people within the same settlement or those in the immediate vicinity. It's not exactly clear how big a population group would have to be to avoid dying out due to the harmful effects of interbreeding, but 5000 is probably the largest reasonable estimate.

Don't time have something to do with it too? Idk like primitive ppl u know
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2018, 01:54:22 PM »

Primitive people had a much narrower choice of marriage partners, which is an obvious argument against your suggestion.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »

It should be mentioned the Nazi concept of "race" was actually distinct from "nationality". Nazis didn't believe all Germans, or all Germanic people, fits the definition of Aryan and were keen on finding out and incorporating "Aryan" elements from non-Germanic people they conquered.

Just one example: a couple of Czech children have actually survived the Lidice massacre due to having an "Aryan" traits. They were subsequently adopted into German family. Some Polish children survived similar massacres because of blond hair and stuff.

Of course it was all racist quackery.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2018, 10:55:56 PM »

Primitive people had a much narrower choice of marriage partners, which is an obvious argument against your suggestion.

idk brah it seems sketchy to me
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies