Fremont First Minister Debate Debating Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:48:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Fremont First Minister Debate Debating Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fremont First Minister Debate Debating Thread  (Read 412 times)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 30, 2018, 10:35:04 AM »

October 2018 Fremont First Minister Debate

Hello and welcome to the Fremont First Minister Debate for the upcoming mid-term elections starting on the 19th! This debate will consist of 3 rounds: Opening statements, questions and rebuttals, and closing statements.

Please welcome the candidates:
First Minister YE
Member of Parliament Ninja0428

Candidates, you have 24 hours to make your opening statements!

(Voters, please don't forget to send me any questions you have for the candidates)

Note: Only the candidates can write here. If you want to comment, the commentary thread is here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=302676.msg6440580#msg6440580
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 06:32:57 PM »

First off, I would like to thank Ninja for moving to the region, running in a special election, volunteering to serve as speaker, providing me with some competition in this race, and for agreeing to this debate. I'd also like to thank Thumb21 for sponsoring this debate. Now you guys didn't show up to thank others for hosting this debate, so let's get started.

Nine months ago, I first ran for office in Fremont. At the time, there had been little activity in the Commonwealth; the First Minister at the time, Kamala, was on the brink of leaving politics completely, and progress in Parliament was slower than a sloth. I was elected after an opening emerged in late January, and after being elected to a second term, I was asked by First Minister DFL to serve as speaker. I accepted and in that time we briefly revived activity in the commonwealth. I pushed through several bills, including passing an estate tax so the Sheldon Adelson and his billionaire friends are less likely to inherit their parents wealth and get to sit around and eat potato chips all day, as well as a paid family and medical leave law and a universal pre-K bill. Sadly, DFL went inactive and months later, I successfully led an unprecedented vote of no confidence to out the First Minister and to trigger a snap election.  I ran for the open First Minister race in late April, and helped form together a left wing majority in which a series of reforms were passed, including free in state college and a regional bank along with some infrastructure related bills that I personally authored.  I was able to prove that it is possible to be a populist progressive and yet at the same time be a pragmatic reformer with results. I have a proven record of a tendency to stand up for what's right rather than blindly be a partisan hack. When MP HenryWallace VP and FM DFL on two separate occasions introduced a bill to ban so called assault weapons that would only risk creating a war on guns and one that indicates a fundamental misunderstanding of the source of gun violence, I opposed it. I called for Pericles to withdraw out of the April senate race following a scandal and when he refused, I voted for his opponent. I've stood up against Mathew27 when I felt his proposals were too knee jerk and would not be good for the long-term health of the game. I cut taxes for the lower and middle classes in order to deal with the surplus that was largely formed out of inactivity the region has suffered prior to my arrival while at the same time laying the groundwork for sustained spending increases over several years. I've appointed Federalists to vacancies and have been inclined to not support left wing candidates when I feel it would not be a positive for the game. 

Nevertheless, a lot of what I accomplished is on the line in a few weeks when I am up for re-election. My opponent in the race has long been considered a social liberal who I have doubts will continue the groundwork and may or may not repeal some of my accomplishments. I am a champion of organized labor and will not repeal the Right of Working People Act if I am re-elected. I intend to introduce legislation to ban states from passing the right to work for less laws that undercut unions. I am weary of the price gouging for profit middle man known as the corporate health insurance companies. I believe in a strong consuming protections that prevent the fat cats in Silicon Valley from gaining too much power and that no bank is too big to fail. I am not convinced my opponent will do the same.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:34:49 PM »

Hello Fremont! I have entered this race because Fremont has a problem. We have multiple problems in fact. We have major issues that have remained for extended periods of time, and we are going to need new leadership if we ever want to see them go away. We currently have a budget with an absurd surplus, and the people have seen nothing from it. To make matters worse, we have a First Minister who has been very stubbornly opposed to giving back, as if we had issues with government income. We have a parliament and a population that has suffered from low activity and disengagement that has been counterproductive to the best interests of our population. And our policy direction has been disappointing. In some areas such as the environment we have been pushing more trivial matters like straw bans rather than anything substantial, and other issues such as education curriculum have been unfortunately looked over. It's time for a new leader, and it's time for a new Fremont.

I started my career in Lincoln where I have already shown an ability to turn things around. I took office as the assembly speaker following the least productive assembly session in our history, and played a key role in leading what remains as the most productive assembly session to this day. I have fought for programs that promote public safety, I created a solution to protect living wages and the economy, I ended criminilization of nonviolent users of non harmful substances, and so much more, even under intense fire at times. I have also worked as a member of our congress helping to pass bill to protect our liberties, bring our energy into the future, and improving the economy. I supported the HELIOS act to help our underprivileged young adults get college education that they deserve, even though my opponent would want you to believe I'm a program slashing careless neoliberal. I have experience in public policy where it counts.

I am running to be a first minister who will be a reformer, not a destroyer. I don't plan on repealing all of our previous statute, and I believe that many of the programs we have in place are important. But there are clearly areas in which we need improvement, and I don't believe that our First Minister has been an effective leader in these areas. I want to be a policy leader who will spark discussion and lead cooperative efforts to make our region more productive. When our parliament produces more quality legislation, we increase the quality of life of the citizens. I believe that it is time for Fremont to step up it's game, and I am the clear choice if you feel the same.

(Sorry for the delay, I've been quite busy for the last few days. From now on you can expect timely responses.)
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 02:19:23 PM »

Thank you for your opening statements, candidates! We will now move on to round two of the debate!

Candidates, you have 48 hours to answer the following questions!
Given the amount of questions, I will be willing to give candidates an extension within reason if they need it.

Economic policy first...

Economic policy:
> What are your thoughts on the issue of welfare?
> What steps would you take to reduce unemployment?
> What could be done to make Fremont more meritocratic?
> HenryWallaceVP asks: Do you unequivocally support free, universal health care for all?
> HenryWallaceVP asks: What are your views on workers' rights, unions, and right to work laws?
> Matthew27 asks: What policies will you promote to reduce income inequality?
> Matthew27 asks: What's your plan to expand our middle class?
> Matthew27 asks: Do you believe in strong unions?
> Pericles asks: Do you believe the best use of the large regional government surplus is primarily a reduction in regional taxation or an increase in regional government spending?
> Tmthforu94 asks: As noted in a recent GM article, the Fremont Region is currently collecting substantial taxes on it's citizens but isn't funding any basic services, rather leaving that to make-believe state governments. This has resulted in a triple-taxation to Fremont residents. As Governor, will you reform the budget to have the regional government provide essential government services, similar to what Lincoln and the South do?

Thank you HenryWallaceVP, Matthew27, Pericles and Tmthforu94 for your questions!

Note: Only the candidates can write here. If you want to comment, the commentary thread is here: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=289711.0
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 04:44:31 PM »

> What are your thoughts on the issue of welfare?
I strongly believe in a strong welfare state, with a social safety net. This list includes guaranteeing health care to every man, woman, and child, paid family and medical leave, paid sick leave, universal child care, paid vacation time by law, a retirement pension of some sorts, and the idea if a young pupil studies hard, he or she should be able to attain higher education without owing a crippling amount of student debt. As First Minister, I have expanded the welfare state. A bank of Fremont was created, a program that gives students the chance to go to an in state college for free was established, and a program to expand consortiums was passed. As MP, I also authored a paid family leave bill along with a universal pre-K bill both of which became law.

> What steps would you take to reduce unemployment?
I would reduce unemployment by creating jobs by investing in specific non-privatized infrastructure projects, which creates jobs in both the public and private sector. It enhances the public sector simply because such projects requires workers to be on the regional payroll. A better infrastructure system will attract businesses and encourage existing businesses to expand their tax rate, which in turn creates more private jobs.

> What could be done to make Fremont more meritocratic?
Let me point out that the natural libertarian laissez faire state, in which there is a regressive tax system, if there is any tax system, may seem meritocratic in theory but actually is not. History has shown, and I even think my opponent acknowledges this to some extent, that such laissez faire system is not sustainable and results in massive levels of higher and higher income and wealth inequality that over time results in a few billionaires running huge monopolies due to lack of regulations and making massive profits that overtime only put future generations in a much better position than their peers while those that do not benefit from such unfair system suffer. The way to resolve this issue, and to be frank to preserve democracy, fundamentally is by a progressive tax system that results in the millionaire and billionaire class pay more than the common man in order to free up money to focus on making the necessary investments that even the playing field, giving those who otherwise would inherit a less fortunate an equal opportunity to accomplish the Atlasian Dream.

> HenryWallaceVP asks: Do you unequivocally support free, universal health care for all?
I'll give you a simple answer to a simple question. Yes, and I'll add on that the private market should not be provided essential health benefits.

> HenryWallaceVP asks: What are your views on workers' rights, unions, and right to work laws?
I am a staunch advocate for unions. I believe that workers should not be fired for attempting to form a union or be pressured from supervisors to expose their preference regarding unions during the higher process. I also believe businesses should negotiate in good faith with the union. Employers must negotiate with employees in good faith. I oppose right to work for less laws and believe that no state should be allowed to implement such policy. This is something I intended to accomplish a while back but never got around to it, largely because of this current Parliament has been focused on the budgetary process. However, if re-elected, I intend to push ending right to work regionally with all my energy.  

> Matthew27 asks: What policies will you promote to reduce income inequality?
Maintaining the income taxes on the wealthy so that we have the funds needed to make the right investments in education, job training, infrastructure to provide everyone with an equal opportunity while at the same time reducing inequality by implemented programs committed to only curbing poverty.

> Matthew27 asks: What's your plan to expand our middle class?
How does this differ from the above question? Lower income inequality expands our middle class by definition.

> Matthew27 asks: Do you believe in strong unions?
See my answer to HenryWallaceVP's similar question but in short, yes.

> Pericles asks: Do you believe the best use of the large regional government surplus is primarily a reduction in regional taxation or an increase in regional government spending?
Since this is the first reference to the surplus since my opponent's opening statement, let me clarify one thing mentioned in his opening statement first, and then I'll answer your question. You are are going to here a lot of talk about the surplus tonight, especially from my opponent. The surplus was something I inherited and largely the bi-product of an overall lack of activity in which it appears if I'm not mistaken that taxes were in place but no spending was passed that pre-date even the Truman administration. I have, ignoring the a one time rebate in the previous fiscal year, have cut taxes quite a bit at all levels, pending final vote, that includes a negative income tax. Still, I have insisted that we be careful with the surplus while at the same time steadily increasing spending. From last budget through the end of 7th session, we accumulated around $25 billion in new spending, some temporary and some annual. What I don't want is ram through, following bills not well thought out or underdetailed spending programs that waste future opportunities of debate necessary to keep the parliament going and avoid the inactivity my opponent rightfully wishes to avoid. As for the issue of what taxes should cut, I don't plan on cutting anymore taxes outside of maybe a small one time tax rebate if the surplus is greater than around the $800-$100 billion area, than what has already been cut in the current proposed budget. So in direct answer to your question going forward, we focus on gradually raising spending. If we get to a position where we are absorbing state services, I'd be open to raising taxes.

> Tmthforu94 asks: As noted in a recent GM article, the Fremont Region is currently collecting substantial taxes on it's citizens but isn't funding any basic services, rather leaving that to make-believe state governments. This has resulted in a triple-taxation to Fremont residents. As Governor, will you reform the budget to have the regional government provide essential government services, similar to what Lincoln and the South do?
First off, most ordinary citizens do not under the current proposal on the floor of Parliament pay much in effective income tax and even last year, there was a temporary tax rebate that technically cost the government more than it collected in revenues that fiscal already, so only a very few number of people are being tripled taxed. Ideally, I'd like to get on the pathway to providing regional government services, though I'd take a one service at a time approach, possibly through the formation of a series of special committees to encourage debate, and there are some kinks that need to be ironed out with great care such as how much will such transition cost and exactly how we deal with the tax rates during the transition.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 02:09:51 PM »

This debate is over due to one of the participants leaving the race. Thanks for the candidates' participation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies