Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2019, 03:56:40 pm
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: Gustaf, أندرو, Hash, Blind Jaunting)
  Turkey is veering into a recession
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Turkey is veering into a recession  (Read 534 times)
PSOL
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2018, 09:08:47 am »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-economy/turkish-manufacturing-slides-to-9-year-low-economists-see-evidence-of-recession-idUSKCN1MB1TV
Further underscoring the pain for consumers and businesses, authorities hiked electricity and natural gas prices for the third month running, sources said, as the lira’s sell-off drives up the cost of everything from food to fuel.

The currency has lost some 37 percent of its value against the dollar so far this year, hit by concerns about President Tayyip Erdogan’s control over monetary policy and a diplomatic rift with the United States. The crisis has reverberated across global markets and deepened concerns about the outlook for Turkey’s banks and manufacturers.

So what other democratically elected European conservative government lead their country into a premature recession; Hungary, Romania, the Netherlands?
tack50
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Spain

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:55:30 am »

I can't see any of the 3 going into a premature recession.

My vote: Write in Italy.

The M5S-Lega goverment seems like the exact recepie for a disaster.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 12:54:10 pm »

Ehm, why on earth is the Netherlands on that list? We have a centre-right government but I think you're confusing the Netherlands with another country since our government definitely isn't comparable to governments in Hungary or Romania. Our government consists out of centre-right conservative liberals, centrist Christian Democrats, centrist pro-EU progressives and a small socially conservative (but leftish) Christian party.

We have a big budget surplus and economically things are going quite well here (3% GDP growth!), even though we have some issues. There is a housing shortage (imo because of left-wing housing market policies such as strict rent controls, but who am I Tongue?), we're generally prone to financial crises and recessions, a sharp divide on the labour market between people with sh**tty temporary contracts and people on extremely protected long-term contracts and relatively high taxes. But several of these things are being dealt with by our government (which, I repeat, isn't far-right at all).

Maybe you're confusing the Netherlands with Austria? The right-wing populists are junior partners in a conservative coalition there. But I still don't think it's comparable to increasingly authoritorian governments in Eastern Europe (and chancellor Kurz himself isn't anti-EU or right-wing populist at all).

And I know Eastern European politics are rather weird (and extremely socially conservative), but technically the social democrats are in charge in Romania.
PSOL
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 01:29:02 pm »

Those were the two countries I had in mind. I was making a joke with the Netherlands, although complaining about Surinamese people by the PM is pretty Fashy.
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 02:03:15 pm »

Those were the two countries I had in mind. I was making a joke with the Netherlands, although complaining about Surinamese people by the PM is pretty Fashy.

Foreign affairs minister Blok, not god-emperor/PM Rutte
PSOL
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 03:02:03 pm »

I recant, but putting a racist as foreign affairs minister calling someone a god emperor is even more fashy
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 01:25:36 am »
« Edited: October 08, 2018, 01:31:26 am by mvd10 »

I recant, but putting a racist as foreign affairs minister calling someone a god emperor is even more fashy

To be fair Mark Rutte is the first-ever (classical) liberal PM, so I feel like we owe him one Smiley (no but and yes, calling him god-emperor was a joke). But seriously, the Dutch government is in no way comparable to increasingly authoritorian Eastern European governments. There are no populists in our government (no, not every European right-winger is a skinhead lol) and the far-right types actually hate this government. It's just a milquetoast centre-right government. And I have a lot of faith in this government's economic team, so I'm afraid that government policies will not be the cause of our next recession Smiley.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies