Is Heitkamp Really DOA In The Election This Time? 2018 GE Edition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:37:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Is Heitkamp Really DOA In The Election This Time? 2018 GE Edition
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Is Heitkamp Really DOA This Time In This Election? 2018 GE Edition
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is Heitkamp Really DOA In The Election This Time? 2018 GE Edition  (Read 4646 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2018, 09:30:14 AM »

She’s in a much worse position than people on this forum are willing to admit (and the "don’t trust any ND poll" "argument" is beyond ridiculous), but she’s not DOA quite yet.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2018, 10:32:20 AM »

Nobody is saying don't trust the ND polls. They are faulty (for reasons beyond the pollster's control) but faulty polls still provide lots of critical, big-picture information.
Former Dean Phillips Supporters for Haley (I guess???!?) 👁️
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »

Nobody is saying don't trust the ND polls. They are faulty (for reasons beyond the pollster's control) but faulty polls still provide lots of critical, big-picture information.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2018, 10:51:26 AM »

The double standards here are pretty amusing. You'd all laugh at anyone who thought a Republican consistently behind by double digits in a deep blue state could still win, and for good reason.

To be fair, I didn't move IL-GOV to Safe D as soon as we had two polls showing Rauner down by double digits. And Rauner is much more unpopular than Heitkamp. Once we had several polls showing him way down, then it became pretty clear that he didn't have a prayer of a chance. Plus, Heitkamp's deficit seems to be a very sudden change, and I'm only waiting to make sure it will last before completely writing her off. As I said, though, it certainly doesn't look good for her.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »

She's in a very vulnerable position, but I'm hoping national environment and massive turn-out in the Eastern cities will pull her over. I admit I'm possibly being naive, though, because Heitkamp is one of my favorites.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2018, 11:21:06 AM »

Two straight polls have shown her down by 10 points, and the other recent poll showed her down by 4. I won't rule out her winning, but she really needs a shake up in the race to pull off a victory.
History505
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2018, 11:43:55 AM »

Check back on Nov 1st, and see how it is then.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2018, 11:48:02 AM »

Of course not, Dems need to hold ND and MO and win either TN/TX and combination of AZ/MS/NV would give them control
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2018, 11:49:08 AM »

Check back on Nov 1st, and see how it is then.
Yellowhammer
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2018, 12:30:44 PM »

She isn’t completely DOA, but she’s in an even worse position than Heller, which is sayin something.
Fargobison

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »

She is done unless Cramer makes a huge mistake. TV buys aren't going to change anything and I don't think she can really do anything either.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2018, 01:28:21 PM »

She is done unless Cramer makes a huge mistake. TV buys aren't going to change anything and I don't think she can really do anything either.

Thoughts on the margin?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2018, 01:50:19 PM »

Most of the polling has been from Fox News from Dakota, and ratings still has this as tossup. Cramer isn't gonna win by 12
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2018, 02:01:46 PM »

Most of the polling has been from Fox News from Dakota, and ratings still has this as tossup. Cramer isn't gonna win by 12

The worst take is that Fox News Polling is unreliable- it's just their name because they pay for the poll (they had Doug Jones at +10 on the day of Al-Senate race)

But no Heitkamp isn't DOA- she's just got somewhere between a 10-30% likelihood of winning.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2018, 04:06:12 PM »

The Kavanaugh Confirmation could be a boon to her. If he were rejected he would have been DOA.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »

In general, being on the losing side of any vote does not result in political consequences.

So there will not be political consequences towards Heitkamp over the Kavanaugh vote.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2018, 04:41:38 PM »

In general, being on the losing side of any vote does not result in political consequences.

So there will not be political consequences towards Heitkamp over the Kavanaugh vote.

No, there will be consequences, it just means it wont be blaring that "SHE DECIDED KAVANAUGH WOULD FAIL!" Really, the way for Heidi to win at this point is to control the airwaves, get people knocking on doors as quick as possible, and hope that Kavanaugh fades into the darkness, and something like tariffs comes back.

Still though, unless polling shows otherwise, she aint favored at all.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2018, 04:57:23 PM »

No, there will be consequences, it just means it wont be blaring that "SHE DECIDED KAVANAUGH WOULD FAIL!" Really, the way for Heidi to win at this point is to control the airwaves, get people knocking on doors as quick as possible, and hope that Kavanaugh fades into the darkness, and something like tariffs comes back.

Still though, unless polling shows otherwise, she aint favored at all.

Well, according to the Heitkamp campaign, the coordinated effort between them and the North Dakota Democratic Party has led to 260,946 doors knocked, 828,496 calls made, 1,124 volunteers, over 5,000 yard signs dispersed, and over 100 barn signs dispersed. The Cass County Dems were reporting that Heitkamp's donation page was briefly down from traffic after announcing her Kavanaugh decision but who knows how many of those people are North Dakota voters.
Former Kentuckian
Cal

« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2018, 05:04:01 PM »

More on Heitkamp's site crashing from traffic: https://www.rawstory.com/2018/10/contributions-spike-supporters-crash-heidi-heitkamps-website-red-state-democrat-announces-no-brett-kavanaugh/amp/
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2018, 05:10:48 PM »

This is mostly all out of state. The loud reeing by the far left twitter activists for Heitkamp and against Manchin are mostly not the voters of their states.

Jmilescoleman retweeted this

Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2018, 05:11:49 PM »

This goes for Heitkamp in converse.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2018, 05:25:48 PM »

If there were any justice left in this country, Heitkamp would win and Manchin would lose, but the Kavanaugh spectacle makes it crystal clear that there is no justice in this country.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2018, 06:57:09 PM »

Can someone explain why 538's fundamentals are 'faux fundamentals' rather than just stating it as fact? Something conflicting with your preconceived notions is not fact, and they clearly show where they're coming from with these numbers so it's not some magic number someone pulled out of their ass(unlike so many numbers on Atlas).

There is a breakdown of what goes into their "fundamentals"

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2018-midterm-election-forecast/senate/north-dakota/

Heitkamp gets +13.6 for incumbency.

In particular, this advantage that the model is giving Heitkamp is so large because North Dakota is a small state.

He had to do that after Montana and North Dakota were the only two states he called wrong in 2012, and called badly wrong.

I believe that's what we call "overcorrection." Who says he was wrong because they were small states and not just due to random chance and sparse/bad polling?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »

It's going to be tough. I'm not optimistic but I also don't want to rule out another 2012-esque squeaker.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »

The double standards here are pretty amusing. You'd all laugh at anyone who thought a Republican consistently behind by double digits in a deep blue state could still win, and for good reason.

To be fair, I didn't move IL-GOV to Safe D as soon as we had two polls showing Rauner down by double digits. And Rauner is much more unpopular than Heitkamp. Once we had several polls showing him way down, then it became pretty clear that he didn't have a prayer of a chance. Plus, Heitkamp's deficit seems to be a very sudden change, and I'm only waiting to make sure it will last before completely writing her off. As I said, though, it certainly doesn't look good for her.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies