Homophobic tweets from CNN's Kaitlan Collins' college years resurface
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:41:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Homophobic tweets from CNN's Kaitlan Collins' college years resurface
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Homophobic tweets from CNN's Kaitlan Collins' college years resurface  (Read 2284 times)
PragmaticPopulist
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2018, 08:57:22 PM »

https://deadline.com/2018/10/cnn-kaitlan-collins-twitter-gay-slurs-homophobic-1202478156/

Important to note that Kaitlan Collins used to be a reporter from the Daily Caller. There are videos of her reciting right-wing talking points from a few years back, so it's not like she's from "libruh CNN".
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 09:00:31 PM »

CNN needs to fire Collins today.

I've said it before. Progressives are hypocrites for demanding the sacking of Bill O'Reilly and others at Fox News, and not demanding the sacking of individuals at more "progressive" institutions, like the New York Times, MSNBC and CNN.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 09:42:37 PM »

I've said it before. Progressives are hypocrites for demanding the sacking of Bill O'Reilly and others at Fox News, and not demanding the sacking of individuals at more "progressive" institutions, like the New York Times, MSNBC and CNN.

O'Reilly was fired for actual sexual harassment, and harassment while on the job to boot.  He knew the rules and laws regarding this when he did it.  This woman made statements in a tweet while she was a college student, and not on the job.

If she is creating a hostile work environment for people, that's another matter.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:58:19 PM »

Her quote:

"When I was in college, I used ignorant language in a few tweets to my friends. It was immature but it doesn’t represent the way I feel at all. I regret it and apologize."

If she thinks the only problem with it was "inappropriate language" and "immature" then she hasn't learned her lesson. I'd fire her.

The comparison to Bill O'Reilly doesn't make a whole lot of sense though. And I say that as someone who has absolutely no loyalty to Collins (whom I had previously never heard of) or to CNN.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2018, 10:01:20 PM »

CNN isn't progressive media, it's obsessive centrist sensationalism bordering on tabloid at times. Other than that I agree fully.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2018, 10:01:30 PM »

O'Reilly was fired for actual sexual harassment, and harassment while on the job to boot.  He knew the rules and laws regarding this when he did it.  This woman made statements in a tweet while she was a college student, and not on the job.

If she is creating a hostile work environment for people, that's another matter.

Exactly. No one should be fired over old tweets, no matter where they work. If anything this gives a modicum of evidence not everyone who works at CNN is a left-wing hack, which would be good for the network.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2018, 10:03:55 PM »

CNN isn't progressive media, it's obsessive centrist sensationalism bordering on tabloid at times. Other than that I agree fully.

Read the quote more carefully. I didn't say CNN was progressive. I said they were more progressive than Fox News.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2018, 10:05:06 PM »

Exactly. No one should be fired over old tweets, no matter where they work. If anything this gives a modicum of evidence not everyone who works at CNN is a left-wing hack, which would be good for the network.

For me it's more the fact that her "apology" demonstrates that she either hasn't really learned anything or is really bad at communicating. A lot of people had really bad views in the past; I don't care about that.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2018, 10:08:48 PM »

O'Reilly was fired for actual sexual harassment, and harassment while on the job to boot.  He knew the rules and laws regarding this when he did it.  This woman made statements in a tweet while she was a college student, and not on the job.

For me it's more the fact that her "apology" demonstrates that she either hasn't really learned anything or is really bad at communicating. A lot of people had really bad views in the past; I don't care about that.

Exactly what lesson are you fishing for, pray tell?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 10:15:46 PM »

Speaking as someone who is LGBT, I don't like these comments obviously but I'm not sure it's worth firing her over. Lots of people say offensive and/or stupid things when they are young, and usually wise up as they age. I've known people who said anti-gay things that irked me but I got past it as I saw they matured. In HS and (less so in) college, I've seen people say and do terrible things in trying to fit in too, but many of those people tended to either be good people in general who messed up or evolved into better people, so again, I prefer a little caution when stuff like this happens.

In this case it's not really that easy to know if she has actually changed though, and that tweet doesn't really make it clear if she has or hasn't, so I dunno.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2018, 10:31:39 PM »

O'Reilly was fired for actual sexual harassment, and harassment while on the job to boot.  He knew the rules and laws regarding this when he did it.  This woman made statements in a tweet while she was a college student, and not on the job.

Exactly what lesson are you fishing for, pray tell?

That homophobia is bad.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 10:32:35 PM »

Only 3rd way homophobes like Joy Ann Reid must be allowed to work for the establishment media.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 10:34:13 PM »

This
elcorazon

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 10:43:36 PM »

who?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2018, 11:51:31 PM »

Lol it's fine, I forgive her.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2018, 12:03:43 AM »

Speaking as someone who is LGBT, I don't like these comments obviously but I'm not sure it's worth firing her over. Lots of people say offensive and/or stupid things when they are young, and usually wise up as they age. I've known people who said anti-gay things that irked me but I got past it as I saw they matured. In HS and (less so in) college, I've seen people say and do terrible things in trying to fit in too, but many of those people tended to either be good people in general who messed up or evolved into better people, so again, I prefer a little caution when stuff like this happens.

In this case it's not really that easy to know if she has actually changed though, and that tweet doesn't really make it clear if she has or hasn't, so I dunno.

I agree with the first part wholeheartedly, Virginia, but I'm not sure I see how her apology tweet is somehow insufficient. It is a short statement, but that is typical for the medium. I'm not sure what level of sackcloth and Ashes is expected to demonstrate that she has grown up.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2018, 12:06:49 AM »

I agree with the first part wholeheartedly, Virginia, but I'm not sure I see how her apology tweet is somehow insufficient. It is a short statement, but that is typical for the medium. I'm not sure what level of sackcloth and Ashes is expected to demonstrate that she has grown up.

Oh, well, I only meant it like, how can I really tell from just one short statement? The same could be said for any number of people who apologize in a similar way. I can give her the benefit of the doubt though, which is kind of what I was leaning towards in my first paragraph (sad that I have to refer to my posts by PARAGRAPH)

I'm not really bent out of shape though. People do stupid things and many of these people grow up and change. She could be one of them.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2018, 12:15:35 AM »

Oh, well, I only meant it like, how can I really tell from just one short statement? The same could be said for any number of people who apologize in a similar way. I can give her the benefit of the doubt though, which is kind of what I was leaning towards in my first paragraph (sad that I have to refer to my posts by PARAGRAPH)

I'm not really bent out of shape though. People do stupid things and many of these people grow up and change. She could be one of them.

When you have to refer to your posts by Page, or volume, then you know what you have a problem.

You can then join the support group fuzzy bear and I have formed. Grin
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2018, 04:37:57 AM »

We've all done stupid things in our past.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2018, 05:05:53 AM »

People do stupid sh*t. I wish people would be more forgiving of whatever idiotic stuff other people did in their past.
Joey1996

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2018, 06:50:55 AM »

Who even is this? I've never seen her on CNN
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2018, 07:00:02 AM »

This particular fag is not that bent out of shape over this incident. I assume that nothing this person has ever said publicly could be characterized as hostile to derogatory to the LGBTQ community.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2018, 07:05:41 AM »

A lot of people in my generation believed in and said a lot of homophobic things between the onset of puberty and then going to college. High School in the late 90s and early 00s was an interesting experience.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2018, 07:06:12 AM »

You've got anti-gay laws in Uganda promoting the murder of homosexual men and you're worried that someone said the word 'fag' in 2011.

https://www.vox.com/2018/7/11/17562412/ugandas-anti-gay-legislation-explained

Time to re-assess your short term goals and stop obsessing about CNN.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2018, 07:12:50 AM »

If Kaitlin Collins is fired Rachel Maddow, Brian Williams and Chris Matthews should be in PRISON.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies