Eastern VA steps up their Nanny State game
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:25:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Eastern VA steps up their Nanny State game
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Eastern VA steps up their Nanny State game  (Read 1572 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 09, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
« edited: October 09, 2018, 09:12:07 AM by dead0man »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
If it's only about "smashing pumpkins, vandalism and teenager shenanigans" then why have the law in the first place as those things are already illegal.  Even if they never plan on putting an 11 year old in jail for asking their neighbors for candy on the wrong day or ten minutes after 8pm or a 13 yo doing it at all, they still voted for that to be an option.  You'd have to be a real hater of fun to vote for or support this.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 09:10:20 AM »

Chesapeake is in southeast VA, not NOVA.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »

Chesapeake is in southeast VA, not NOVA.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 09:11:52 AM »

Roll Eyes
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 09:26:25 AM »

Kids still go out to trick or treat these days? I thought Halloween had been taken over by adults, particularly gay ones. Who knew?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:36:06 AM »

Kids still go out to trick or treat these days? I thought Halloween had been taken over by adults, particularly gay ones. Who knew?
and sexy ___insert random job here___, can't forget those ___insert insult towards "loose" women here___s.

But yeah, I see fewer and fewer kids every year, and they ALWAYS have a parent (or three) with them.  Even if it's a group of five 5th graders.  It's just a sign of the wussification of our children.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 09:50:44 AM »

and sexy ___insert random job here___, can't forget those ___insert insult towards "loose" women here___s.

But yeah, I see fewer and fewer kids every year, and they ALWAYS have a parent (or three) with them.  Even if it's a group of five 5th graders.  It's just a sign of the wussification of our children.

"In my day, I went out looking for handouts all by myself like any self-sufficient person would"
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 09:54:40 AM »

"In my day, I went out looking for handouts all by myself like any self-sufficient person would"
well, no, that would be weird.  I went with friends.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 09:56:51 AM »

Honestly I am glad that Halloween is dying out, in our age of obesity and rising medical costs it is for the best. Plus how incredibly consumerist it is for nestles benefit. I say this as a fat man who enjoyed swiping candy in the past.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 09:57:10 AM »

This isn't new here. The War on Halloween has been going on around here for decades.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2018, 02:28:11 PM »

This has been the rule in Chesapeake for many years.  Wasn't aware of the penalties though, that's nuts.   

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 02:37:40 PM »

Wow.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 03:16:03 PM »

This is ridiculous. I also disagree that Halloween is dying. There's just less kids now (that will change as Millennialls procreate) and it's also become an adult holiday.

It's no longer just about trick or treating. It's about parties, haunted attractions, and pumpkin spice everything.
LimoLiberal
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.71, S: -4.00

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »

Chesapeake VA voted for Trump 48-46. Sad that Trump supporters hate freedom for their children and favor restrictive nanny states.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 03:30:17 PM »

Halloween isn't dying out. People are flocking to specific streets in town that are known for their Halloween displays, and on these streets it's an absolute mob scene. I know because I used to live on one. This gives people in other parts of town the impression that Halloween is dying out.

Anyway yeah this law in Chesapeake seems really bad. Especially since there are plenty of 13-year-olds who still trick-or-treat in the unironic way. Not sure whhy the thread title is blaming an entire region though.
here2view
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.13, S: -1.74

P P P
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 03:40:54 PM »

This is ridiculous. I also disagree that Halloween is dying. There's just less kids now (that will change as Millennialls procreate) and it's also become an adult holiday.

It's no longer just about trick or treating. It's about parties, haunted attractions, and pumpkin spice everything.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2018, 06:05:45 PM »

But yeah, I see fewer and fewer kids every year, and they ALWAYS have a parent (or three) with them.  Even if it's a group of five 5th graders.  It's just a sign of the wussification of our children.

I think it's more wussification of the adults than the kids. The thing that gets me the most is that trick or treat is now done almost entirely in broad daylight. I remember when I last did it may be 35 plus years ago, only the wee toddlers obviously needed to have parental accompaniment did theirs during late afternoon or early evening. With the Sun up. The rest of the kids up to Bear early teens started around sunset.

I really admit my kids a year ago were 9 and 7 respectively, and I walk with them along with a group of other kids about their same age for trick-or-treating. It bugged me to be doing it so early, but that's what other parents and our housing plan had decided on so I really didn't have much choice for time. Accompanying them? Well, call me crazy, but kids can be in attentive, my youngest has ADHD, and dressed in dark clothing and crossing the street in a hurry without looking is something I'm willing to try to avoid even if it risks wussification.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2018, 08:13:22 PM »

In my city the age cutoff is 10, otherwise its door to door solicitation without a permit.
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »

An absurd number of adults nowadays seem to think their children are ridiculously fragile and must be shielded from any risk, no matter how slight.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2018, 10:27:28 PM »

In my city the age cutoff is 10, otherwise its door to door solicitation without a permit.

Really? How absurd. Please tell me you didn't have anything to do with that as the government attorney?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 06:18:37 AM »

Really? How absurd. Please tell me you didn't have anything to do with that as the government attorney?

Its an ordinance from the late 80s. Only the police can choose to enforce it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 07:32:05 AM »

wait wait wait....age 10 or time 10?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 07:44:55 AM »

perhaps the fearmongering press is to blame (it is to blame for most of our baseless fears, that's for sure).

Halloween is like Christmas for sex offenders
horrible lawyer, horrible journalism.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »

perhaps the fearmongering press is to blame (it is to blame for most of our baseless fears, that's for sure).

Halloween is like Christmas for sex offenders
horrible lawyer, horrible journalism.

In his defense, there are a lot of priests on the move and there have been a lot of amber alerts lately.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2018, 08:04:16 AM »

In his defense, there are a lot of priests on the move and there have been a lot of amber alerts lately.
what's that got to do with Halloween?  No child has ever been nabbed by someone on the "watch list" while trick or treating.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies