What is your Election Day routine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:05:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What is your Election Day routine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What is your Election Day routine?  (Read 1493 times)
History505
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2018, 12:49:28 PM »

Describe what you do leading up to the results coming in after the polls close, like what websites you use, (obviously Atlas being one), and if you have an watching parties.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:50:48 PM »

I eat dinner and stuff sometimes you know.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 01:02:15 PM »

I always meet up with a small group of friends in one of their living rooms. We get pizza, snacks, and other junk food. Everyone has their laptops open and there's a large TV in front displaying the results (usually NBC). I like to use NYT and politico for my live results and check on Atlas to see whose heads are exploding. I love election nights, moreso when my side wins.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 01:29:48 PM »

Usually what I've done is holed up in my room with a 12-pack of Mountain Dew and a bunch of junk food and pulled an all nighter.

This year I'm going to an election night party with a couple of friends for a candidate I've been volunteering for. Bringing laptop (duh) and staying there until the race is called (about 9ish), then I'll do whatever I need to to get out by 10 without being an ass. Then it's back to my place where one of my friends and i hobble over results in my room with a ton of junk food. Then at 4 am (when I expect the last race to be called or the night to be generally over) I'll think up the consequences of the election, build maps, run through data, and do whatever else I feel like.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 02:30:25 PM »

the only time I've ever actually watched a Presidential election until it was called for the winner was 2012 lmao

that night I was pretty much just laying in bed watching. I attempted to watch 2008 and 2016, but got bored watching 2008 (it was obvious Obama would win) and I just got tired on election night 2016 and went to sleep.

having a party would be cool tho.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 02:46:52 PM »

Do you have a free day on Election Day or the day after?
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 02:56:56 PM »

I will probably wake up around 7 in the morning and for the entire day I will be completely distracted by the thoughts of elections and get nothing done and be super unproductive and just be reading and watching the news whenever I can. Towards poll closings I may go to a watch party, but most likely the first thing when I come back home around 4:30 I’ll probably hole up in the movie room and not shower or workout or do hardly anything else and watch CNN on the big projector screen and have a laptop, ipad, iphone etc, all wired up and watching nyt, AP, CNN website etc. May be some food involved, but probably just a snack and regular dinner since it will be the elections that feed my soul for the night. Probably going to pull an all nighter too, unless the results are just too depressing on which I would eat a lot more stuff around the house and go to bed, but I doubt it gets that bad. It will probably be just me but my dad and sister and maybe a friend or two will be in there too. I probably won’t be on Atlas that much because the commentary will be unbearable and I also hear that the site crashes from too much traffic on election nights.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 03:07:45 PM »

Wake up around 8-9
Eat a croissant or two, drink caffeine
Go jogging
Get back, shower
Spend a few hours obsessing over turnout and other information/news
Eat lunch
Spend the next 3 hours working while also obsessively checking election stuff/Atlas
Do normal daily routine stuff / cleaning
Make dinner
Blow the entire rest of the night talking to people on/off Atlas and watching election results
Pig out on snackie poos while digesting election results
If it's a great night, I'll probably drink a bit
If it's a bad nite, I'll destroy my TV and go to bed

-

I'm not doing a watch party this year because I haven't really done a lot of volunteer work and I'd rather talk to friends than mostly strangers this time.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 04:52:49 PM »

Same as any other Tuesday pretty much, I'm too pessimistic to be glued to returns.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 05:08:21 PM »

I always meet up with a small group of friends in one of their living rooms. We get pizza, snacks, and other junk food. Everyone has their laptops open and there's a large TV in front displaying the results (usually NBC). I like to use NYT and politico for my live results and check on Atlas to see whose heads are exploding. I love election nights, moreso when my side wins.

This is just like me for Super Bowls or CLose NBA finals except of NYT and Atlas Im on ESPN and Realgm lol
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2018, 05:11:22 PM »

1) Everything normal
2) Go vote
3) Watch election returns while eating dinner/having a glass of wine
4) Go to bed

Pretty much, voting replaces post-work errands and election returns replace Netflix/HBOGo/Hulu/Amazon.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2018, 05:26:11 PM »

This is just like me for Super Bowls or CLose NBA finals except of NYT and Atlas Im on ESPN and Realgm lol

Haha yeah, I've said to my friends many times before that election nights are basically my super bowls.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »

In recent years? Crying into my beer mostly
The Govanah Jake
Jake Jewvinivisk

Political Matrix
E: -2.39, S: -5.30

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2018, 05:56:38 PM »

Sleep to 10. Get up and go about a regular routine of doing nothing. Then usually eat and watch election results past 5 or so. If it's competitive then I'll watch closely, solely on NYT. If its a bad result then I go to bed saying it was bound to happen and money bound candidates win as usual. Though an excellent election result is an extraordinary feeling.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »

the only correct way

namely wake up; vote; not think about it until the polls close at 10pm; then get smashed while the results come in and spend the next day hungover and either not happy or weirdly optimistic.  Although now I have political related jobs which probably require actually working the day after an election; I probably won't be able to do that anymore...

Haha yeah, I've said to my friends many times before that election nights are basically my super bowls.

treating politics like a sport isn't a good thing; and i'd suggest not doing this.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »

treating politics like a sport isn't a good thing; and i'd suggest not doing this.

What's the issue with it? Sounds fun tbh
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2018, 07:55:44 PM »

the only correct way

namely wake up; vote; not think about it until the polls close at 10pm; then get smashed while the results come in and spend the next day hungover and either not happy or weirdly optimistic.  Although now I have political related jobs which probably require actually working the day after an election; I probably won't be able to do that anymore...

I don't treat politics like a sport. I simply conduct my election day festivities in a similar fashion to how other treat sporting events.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2018, 08:20:46 PM »

For 2012 and 2014 I and my friends turned my dorm room / apartment into an election hq, complete with maps to color in the results and mark progress to the electoral goal. I also run around to polling centers as soon as they close and pull up some campaign signs (during college I had a wall covered in campaign signs from both parties.

This election night I'll probably fix up a pizza or wings type dinner with a lot of beer and just watch the results come in.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 08:21:07 PM »

Do normal stuff until the returns start to come in. Then go on discord and watch on NYTimes.

Or, at least that's what I plan to do this time.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2018, 09:41:18 PM »

I schedule the day off work in advance with my employer for generally all Presidential and Midterm elections....

Then, I put on my favorite Cable News channels that have panels of pundits for "background noise" (MSNBC & CNN).

Then, I log into Atlas....

Next step is to pull up any relevant spreadsheets I have for particular election results on my radar, to try to wrap up any specific projects that I am working on with updated numbers....

As we get closer to the first polls closing, I setup my various websites that I will be using to track "live-time" election results....

Obviously, currently on PST I naturally need to have some libations to enjoy the Party, so almost literally run across the street to the closest mini-part to grab a decent quantity of Beer (Plus whatever my Wife has requested since she tends to work on E-Day), suck down a quick smoke, race back into the apartment and rapidly refresh all screens, before the first results from the first State start to come in...

Then the waiting begins... tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock....

Now it's on and depending upon the State, we might see either a giant dump of EVs or a trickle of precincts, etc....   

Think most of y'all know the drill from then on out.   Smiley
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2018, 10:42:59 PM »

1. School
2. Work
3. Get Food
4. Get Trashed
5. Watch Results
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2018, 11:04:50 PM »

Get up, vote three times with three ids.  Drive a bus filled with with Illegal Aliens to (insert your state here) and have them vote.  Come home and post absurd claims about illegal voting on the internet.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2018, 11:27:43 PM »

Wake up after not sleeping
Check twitter
Go to school
Be distracted in school because ELECTION
Go home
Go vote at like 5
Go home again
Watch msnbc
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2018, 12:48:09 AM »

In recent years? Crying into my beer mostly

This, but harder stuff than beer.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2018, 04:53:12 AM »

U.S. election day? Due to time difference I drink tons of coffee to stay up.

Polish election day? I vote and go into a "whatever" mode in anticipation of inevitably bad results to come later.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies