Hillary Clinton: You cannot be civil with Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:48:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hillary Clinton: You cannot be civil with Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton: You cannot be civil with Republicans  (Read 5954 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2018, 12:37:25 AM »

BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2018, 12:56:20 AM »

She could have worded it better, but when she says that civility can begin when Dems take power, she is not factually wrong. The GOP has declared all out war on democrats - you can't have civility if only one side plays nice. It is unlikely that the GOP will start playing nice before they are utterly destroyed electorally. THEN we can start reaching out to them, because we are better than them. Mitch McConnell has singlehandedly destroyed both the Senate and the Supreme Court as legitimate institutions of power. Merrick Garland was a step too far and the Kavanaugh fiasco has further underlined it.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2018, 01:01:05 AM »

I think in the K affair, the Dems hurt themselves by dialing up the heat dial too far. The Pubs have done the same to themselves, time and again. Yes, I know, the base demands it. Sometimes the base, maybe more than sometimes, gets in the way of ultimate success.

I'm really not sure what else the Democrats could do. Another Clarence Thomas hearings situation reluctance wouldn't just pass nowadays.

Also, the Thomas' case contributed to what became known as "Year of the Woman" in 1993, which was greatly beneficial politically for the Democrats.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2018, 01:04:33 AM »

Also, it would be useful to distinguish between various shaded of "civil". The civility preached and practiced by Obama, who naively believed he can reason with the Republicans, work to find a common ground, yielded very little results. Instead of adopting more combative approach, he just kept repeating that mistake.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2018, 02:57:45 AM »

Absolutely Correct, and this statement is dead right. This is also completely different to the basket of deplorable statement which was incorrect.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2018, 03:32:20 AM »

Absolutely Correct, and this statement is dead right. This is also completely different to the basket of deplorable statement which was incorrect.
How was that statement incorrect? well, maybe the "half" part was an understatement, I guess.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2018, 03:39:51 AM »

How was that statement incorrect? well, maybe the "half" part was an understatement, I guess.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2018, 05:16:36 AM »

You don't call voters deplorable, that should be easy.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »

Both sides should be moral.  If Democrats have given up on that, all hope is lost - shame on them.

Being civil isn't about "will it benefit me", its just the right thing to do.

But you're totally willing to accept the Republican Party acting with wanton incivility, apparently? Or do you think Trump addressing people with demeaning nicknames and calling sexual assault victims liars and calling everyone to his left "arsonists" is civil?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2018, 08:19:42 AM »

Man she really hasn't learned anything.
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2018, 08:23:26 AM »

Man she really hasn't learned anything.

I mean, she's not running for office any more, so I don't think she really needs to learn anything at this point.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2018, 08:39:52 AM »

Comparing people to Nazis, likening opposition to every Democratic position to opposition to desegregation, and declaring that every word that comes out of a Republican's mouth is a dog-whistle is not going high.  Yes, not all Democrats do this, but the idea that the left is fighting with one hand tied behind its back is ridiculous.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2018, 09:05:49 AM »

I thought people liked politicians that "tell it like it is" and aren't "too scripted?" I guess with Hillary it's heads she loses, tails she loses. A consistent theme throughout her political career, sadly.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2018, 09:10:28 AM »

I mean, one could be civil with (trampista) Republicans. But one should not.

At the very least, for reasons of personal hygiene.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2018, 09:14:48 AM »

I thought people liked politicians that "tell it like it is" and aren't "too scripted?" I guess with Hillary it's heads she loses, tails she loses. A consistent theme throughout her political career, sadly.

Nobody likes that, every politician is scripted (even Trump).
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2018, 10:20:46 AM »

Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2018, 10:23:58 AM »

RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2018, 10:16:39 AM »

Are there a lot of studies out there showing Democrats have better hygiene than Republicans on average, ag?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »

People were literally run down with a car in Charlottesville by a right-winger. Clinton is 100% right in her comments.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2018, 10:20:48 AM »

People were literally run down with a car in Charlottesville by a right-winger. Clinton is 100% right in her comments.

If a hardcore left winger ran over someone in my family with his or her car, I wouldn't be dumb enough to extrapolate it to all Democrats.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2018, 10:21:06 AM »

A right-winger who no one important supported.  But Antifa is supported by quite a few people who are part of respectable society.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2018, 10:31:31 AM »

If a hardcore left winger ran over someone in my family with his or her car, I wouldn't be dumb enough to extrapolate it to all Democrats.

A right-winger who no one important supported.  But Antifa is supported by quite a few people who are part of respectable society.

Your President didn't even condemn the violence properly and extremists feel like he is on their side.

There are plenty of people who respect the alt-Right and far more than those who support Antifa (who most people don't even know about). Even if you set that aside, Republicans only motivation these days seems to be to do things only to anger their opposition and that's not really legitimate political strategy that helps anyone.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »

Your President didn't even condemn the violence properly and extremists feel like he is on their side.

There are plenty of people who respect the alt-Right and far more than those who support Antifa (who most people don't even know about). Even if you set that aside, Republicans only motivation these days seems to be to do things only to anger their opposition and that's not really legitimate political strategy that helps anyone.

He's "your President" as much as he is mine, your highness.  AKA, he's the President.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2018, 11:43:08 AM »

He's "your President" as much as he is mine, your highness.  AKA, he's the President.

I refuse to call anyone who behaves so poorly and unintelligent as my President. Besides, plenty of Republicans refused to call Obama their President, so it all evens out.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2018, 07:00:43 PM »

Are there a lot of studies out there showing Democrats have better hygiene than Republicans on average, ag?

I mean, if you have shaken hands with a Trumpista and did not immediately disinfect yourself from head to toes, you must still be stinking to high heavens. Disgusting! Democrats, clearly, would be less likely to find themselves in such a deplorable situation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies