Hillary Clinton: You cannot be civil with Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:12:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hillary Clinton: You cannot be civil with Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Hillary Clinton: You cannot be civil with Republicans  (Read 5908 times)
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2018, 09:31:55 PM »

People were literally run down with a car in Charlottesville by a right-winger. Clinton is 100% right in her comments.

If a hardcore left winger ran over someone in my family with his or her car, I wouldn't be dumb enough to extrapolate it to all Democrats.

People were literally run down with a car in Charlottesville by a right-winger. Clinton is 100% right in her comments.

A right-winger who no one important supported.  But Antifa is supported by quite a few people who are part of respectable society.

Your President didn't even condemn the violence properly and extremists feel like he is on their side.

A right-winger who no one important supported.  But Antifa is supported by quite a few people who are part of respectable society.
There are plenty of people who respect the alt-Right and far more than those who support Antifa (who most people don't even know about). Even if you set that aside, Republicans only motivation these days seems to be to do things only to anger their opposition and that's not really legitimate political strategy that helps anyone.

He's "your President" as much as he is mine, your highness.  AKA, he's the President.

Given that he has been in violation of his Oath of Office since the moment he took it, I think there's a very good case that Trump's entire so-called term is illegitimate.  Not that either the fascist GOP establishment nor the (understandably) frightened Democratic establishment are ever going to push it.
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2018, 09:43:34 PM »

If a hardcore left winger ran over someone in my family with his or her car, I wouldn't be dumb enough to extrapolate it to all Democrats.

Your President didn't even condemn the violence properly and extremists feel like he is on their side.

There are plenty of people who respect the alt-Right and far more than those who support Antifa (who most people don't even know about). Even if you set that aside, Republicans only motivation these days seems to be to do things only to anger their opposition and that's not really legitimate political strategy that helps anyone.

He's "your President" as much as he is mine, your highness.  AKA, he's the President.

I refuse to call anyone who behaves so poorly and unintelligent as my President. Besides, plenty of Republicans refused to call Obama their President, so it all evens out.

The person that ran Heather Heyer down ought to face the full rack of murder charges and its penalties.  That is happening.

The reality is that the Antifa Scum were Culpably Negligent.  Antifa Scum that take no responsibility for their choices.

The Antifa Scum that just HAD to crash the party at Charlottesville, knew, or should have known, that not just their mere presence, but their actions that were intended to disrupt a repulsive, but lawful, permitted assembly, were DESIGNED to promote violence, and that a violent outcome of their actions was the likeliest outcome.  That is the definition of culpable negligence.  There are people here who would sue the dog excrement out of someone who left their kids football in the yard if they tripped over it and injured their leg.  They'd do so even if they were trespassing.  But these same folks think that the Antifa folks who brought Heather Heyer along for the rally, knowing what would happen shouldn't be liable at all, even though it was THEIR plan to disrupt a lawful protest held by people who they either KNEW or HOPED that they could provoke to violence.

OF COURSE NEO-NAZIS ARE SCUM!

You have to say this on Atlas because of the surprising prevalence of Antifa Scum Apologists here.  Everyone knows this, of course.  But I know how I would think and feel if one of my granddaughters were run down as Heather Heyer was.  Not a one of the COUNTERPROTESTERS would be welcome at my home, at the funeral parlor, at the cemetery, or anywhere else, because THEIR NEGLIGENCE HELPED MAKE IT HAPPEN.  Yes, the Neo-Nazi drove the car, but he's in jail, probably for good, and he'll get his.  How much comfort would I take in the idea that the people who led her to her death in an avoidable situation were culpably negligent, but "At least they weren't racists!".  That's the ONLY thing good I can say about Antifa; "Not Being Rascists" is the ONLY virtue they seem to manifest.  

I hate needless violence and death.  I also hate Neo-Nazis and Alt-Right types.  They are as un-American as it gets.  But anyone who says that we "MUST OPPOSE" every one of these alt-right rallies with counterprotesters is just full of crap.  These nuts DON'T have lots of support, but the desire for drama on the part of many here is irresponsible beyond words.  
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2018, 10:21:01 PM »

Will the Clinton's ever just go away
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2018, 12:55:11 AM »

I mean, one could be civil with (trampista) Republicans. But one should not.

At the very least, for reasons of personal hygiene.

Are there a lot of studies out there showing Democrats have better hygiene than Republicans on average, ag?

I mean, if you have shaken hands with a Trumpista and did not immediately disinfect yourself from head to toes, you must still be stinking to high heavens. Disgusting! Democrats, clearly, would be less likely to find themselves in such a deplorable situation.

I hug my parents every time I get to see them. Without washing my hands!!
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2018, 04:56:40 PM »

For those of you who are tired of hearing about anything having to do with Hillary, don't watch her or read what she writes. It's what I have to do with Trump EVERY DAY to keep my sanity.

To add my opinion about Hillary, she is highly intelligent, married to an ex President of the U.S., articulate, worldly, and has great knowledge about politics. You don't have to like her but she has many worthy qualities that are worth paying attention to. She is an elder of society and I have respect for all the battles she has fought to get where she's at today.

Her time to be President has passed, but she is in full control of her mental faculties, unlike the current individual in office. She is a Saint compared to that one.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.83

« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2018, 02:24:17 PM »

A right-winger who no one important supported.  But Antifa is supported by quite a few people who are part of respectable society.

A right-winger who no one important supported.  But Antifa is supported by quite a few people who are part of respectable society.

I refuse to call anyone who behaves so poorly and unintelligent as my President. Besides, plenty of Republicans refused to call Obama their President, so it all evens out.

The person that ran Heather Heyer down ought to face the full rack of murder charges and its penalties.  That is happening.

The reality is that the Antifa Scum were Culpably Negligent.  Antifa Scum that take no responsibility for their choices.

The Antifa Scum that just HAD to crash the party at Charlottesville, knew, or should have known, that not just their mere presence, but their actions that were intended to disrupt a repulsive, but lawful, permitted assembly, were DESIGNED to promote violence, and that a violent outcome of their actions was the likeliest outcome.  That is the definition of culpable negligence.  There are people here who would sue the dog excrement out of someone who left their kids football in the yard if they tripped over it and injured their leg.  They'd do so even if they were trespassing.  But these same folks think that the Antifa folks who brought Heather Heyer along for the rally, knowing what would happen shouldn't be liable at all, even though it was THEIR plan to disrupt a lawful protest held by people who they either KNEW or HOPED that they could provoke to violence.

You have to say this on Atlas because of the surprising prevalence of Antifa Scum Apologists here.  Everyone knows this, of course.  But I know how I would think and feel if one of my granddaughters were run down as Heather Heyer was.  Not a one of the COUNTERPROTESTERS would be welcome at my home, at the funeral parlor, at the cemetery, or anywhere else, because THEIR NEGLIGENCE HELPED MAKE IT HAPPEN.  Yes, the Neo-Nazi drove the car, but he's in jail, probably for good, and he'll get his.  How much comfort would I take in the idea that the people who led her to her death in an avoidable situation were culpably negligent, but "At least they weren't racists!".  That's the ONLY thing good I can say about Antifa; "Not Being Rascists" is the ONLY virtue they seem to manifest.   

I hate needless violence and death.  I also hate Neo-Nazis and Alt-Right types.  They are as un-American as it gets.  But anyone who says that we "MUST OPPOSE" every one of these alt-right rallies with counterprotesters is just full of crap.  These nuts DON'T have lots of support, but the desire for drama on the part of many here is irresponsible beyond words. 

You say they don't have lots of support, but Tucker Carlson peddles white nationalist propaganda on television every day. The president of the United States said there were fine people on BOTH SIDES of that rally, where one of the sides was neo-Nazis. The sad fact is that in our current political climate, this is NOT a settled question.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2018, 02:33:48 PM »

I think she's wrong, but unfortunately, less wrong by the day. And I don't like it one bit.

Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2018, 05:03:01 PM »

I mean, one could be civil with (trampista) Republicans. But one should not.

At the very least, for reasons of personal hygiene.

Are there a lot of studies out there showing Democrats have better hygiene than Republicans on average, ag?

I mean, if you have shaken hands with a Trumpista and did not immediately disinfect yourself from head to toes, you must still be stinking to high heavens. Disgusting! Democrats, clearly, would be less likely to find themselves in such a deplorable situation.

I hug my parents every time I get to see them. Without washing my hands!!

Well, I guess, you stink.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2018, 06:51:26 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Is she talking about herself here?
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2018, 05:20:47 AM »

The person that ran Heather Heyer down ought to face the full rack of murder charges and its penalties.  That is happening.

The reality is that the Antifa Scum were Culpably Negligent.  Antifa Scum that take no responsibility for their choices.

The Antifa Scum that just HAD to crash the party at Charlottesville, knew, or should have known, that not just their mere presence, but their actions that were intended to disrupt a repulsive, but lawful, permitted assembly, were DESIGNED to promote violence, and that a violent outcome of their actions was the likeliest outcome.  That is the definition of culpable negligence.  There are people here who would sue the dog excrement out of someone who left their kids football in the yard if they tripped over it and injured their leg.  They'd do so even if they were trespassing.  But these same folks think that the Antifa folks who brought Heather Heyer along for the rally, knowing what would happen shouldn't be liable at all, even though it was THEIR plan to disrupt a lawful protest held by people who they either KNEW or HOPED that they could provoke to violence.

You have to say this on Atlas because of the surprising prevalence of Antifa Scum Apologists here.  Everyone knows this, of course.  But I know how I would think and feel if one of my granddaughters were run down as Heather Heyer was.  Not a one of the COUNTERPROTESTERS would be welcome at my home, at the funeral parlor, at the cemetery, or anywhere else, because THEIR NEGLIGENCE HELPED MAKE IT HAPPEN.  Yes, the Neo-Nazi drove the car, but he's in jail, probably for good, and he'll get his.  How much comfort would I take in the idea that the people who led her to her death in an avoidable situation were culpably negligent, but "At least they weren't racists!".  That's the ONLY thing good I can say about Antifa; "Not Being Rascists" is the ONLY virtue they seem to manifest.   

I hate needless violence and death.  I also hate Neo-Nazis and Alt-Right types.  They are as un-American as it gets.  But anyone who says that we "MUST OPPOSE" every one of these alt-right rallies with counterprotesters is just full of crap.  These nuts DON'T have lots of support, but the desire for drama on the part of many here is irresponsible beyond words. 

You say they don't have lots of support, but Tucker Carlson peddles white nationalist propaganda on television every day. The president of the United States said there were fine people on BOTH SIDES of that rally, where one of the sides was neo-Nazis. The sad fact is that in our current political climate, this is NOT a settled question.

This is something you want to believe in order to justify people that agree with you acting like idiots.

When I was a young man, I was familiar with a certain type of conservative who believed that the Bolsheviks were coming over the Brooklyn Bridge.  It wasn't true; while there were Communists in our midst, Communist infiltration of our society was nowhere as near as the fearmongers made it out to be, but they got the kind of equal time in media that allowed their position that liberals were Communists and Fellow Travelers to gain more traction than the facts deserved.  It was the kind of thinking that produced Joe McCarthy, and the kind of thinking that allowed the nation to be led around by the nose by an alcoholic/drug addict that was able to chair a Senate committee and get major TV time.  It wasn't that McCarthy didn't have a point; Alger Hiss was proof that Communists did, in fact, infiltrate our government at high levels, but McCarthy peddled the kind of fear that the Antifa sympathizers peddle today.  Oh, and every conservative is a Fascist. 

This is applying an old playbook to a new setting.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2018, 07:03:10 AM »

Hope she runs in 2020.
Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2018, 07:52:48 AM »

She's not wrong. Politics isn't some idealist fantasy about "coming together." It's about winning and beating the other side. Civility for the sake of civility doesn't get you much of anywhere if your opponents are out for blood. But I still wouldn't have said this if I were her. It ties disaffected voters who voted Republican further into the conservative camp and away from voting Democrat.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2018, 05:00:51 PM »

Florian Geyer
Chadpotkin
Rookie
United States

« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2018, 10:31:19 PM »

As if the democrats aren't also controlled by the interests of corporations.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2018, 11:59:00 PM »

Why
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2018, 12:38:33 AM »

As if the democrats aren't also controlled by the interests of corporations.

The Democrats are far from ideal for anyone who wants a government that actually serves the public. There are Democratic candidates that I would not vote for, even against Trump. (For example, Cuomo is so corrupt and so far from the left on so many issues that I don't think I could vote for him if he was somehow nominated, even against Trump.) But to blindly imply that they're both equal because they're both victims of regulatory capture is... well, laughably deceitful is the kindest way I can put it.

tldr; See my signature.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2018, 01:11:34 AM »

Because he wants Democrats to lose, obviously.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2018, 01:34:57 AM »

He supported Hillary in the 2016 General
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2018, 01:47:44 AM »

She's not wrong, obviously. Sadly, Dems have been outplayed and outsmarted by the GOP at almost every front. It's time Dems get their act together with a real strategy and message how to win accross the country.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2018, 07:23:34 AM »

This is something you want to believe in order to justify people that agree with you acting like idiots.

When I was a young man, I was familiar with a certain type of conservative who believed that the Bolsheviks were coming over the Brooklyn Bridge.  It wasn't true; while there were Communists in our midst, Communist infiltration of our society was nowhere as near as the fearmongers made it out to be, but they got the kind of equal time in media that allowed their position that liberals were Communists and Fellow Travelers to gain more traction than the facts deserved.  It was the kind of thinking that produced Joe McCarthy, and the kind of thinking that allowed the nation to be led around by the nose by an alcoholic/drug addict that was able to chair a Senate committee and get major TV time.  It wasn't that McCarthy didn't have a point; Alger Hiss was proof that Communists did, in fact, infiltrate our government at high levels, but McCarthy peddled the kind of fear that the Antifa sympathizers peddle today.  Oh, and every conservative is a Fascist. 

This is applying an old playbook to a new setting.

Literal neo-Nazis were marching in an American city and killed a woman, and after she was killed, the President expressed sympathy for both sides. That's just true. I'm not trying to blow up their numbers beyond what they are, but it's clear that an extremely ugly element in our society knows it has a friend in the White House.
SNJ1985
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2018, 08:05:07 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2018, 08:13:33 PM by Thomas from NJ »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Congressional_baseball_shooting
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ricin-suspected-least-2-envelopes-sent-pentagon-mail-center-n915891 (ricin sent to Trump and Senator Cruz)
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-man-allegedly-tried-to-stab-gop-congressional-candidate-rudy-peters-while-yelling-slurs-against-trump/
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/two-minnesota-republican-candidates-assaulted/
https://nypost.com/2018/10/15/suspicious-letter-sent-to-sen-collins-house/

We're the uncivil ones, though. Roll Eyes
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2018, 08:16:13 PM »

There are a lot of people here who are OK with all of that.

They'll be the ones that attack me for saying this.  Just watch.
Slander and/or Libel
Figs

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: October 19, 2018, 07:16:25 AM »

Do you believe this quoted list is representative of a wide range of progressives' beliefs? More, do you believe this quoted list is representative of the behavior of the left, constituted broadly, over the last several years? Do you believe it is representative of a broad spectrum of "uncivil" behavior across the country over the last several years?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies