The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:53:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 171953 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #825 on: January 02, 2019, 05:56:39 PM »

Romney says he's not running:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/02/politics/mitt-romney-cnntv/index.html

Also says he's not endorsing anyone in the primary yet, and will "see what the alternatives are".
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #826 on: January 02, 2019, 05:57:30 PM »

Romney says he's not running:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/02/politics/mitt-romney-cnntv/index.html

Also says he's not endorsing anyone in the primary yet, and will "see what the alternatives are".

And there goes the GOP's chance to redeem itself.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #827 on: January 02, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »

This doesn't involve Bernie. Bernie people made sure that Arturo Carmona didn't get elected to Congress.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #828 on: January 02, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »

I dont get where you see that, considering hes already apologized for it, and he wasnt directly causing this. I mean, I guess it works as an attack, but I dont see how this dissuades Sanders.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #829 on: January 02, 2019, 07:23:10 PM »

As a onetime hardcore Bernie supporter who became what I once hated the most in a "Pro-Choice Republican" as MAINEiac put it. Im sort of losing hope in Biden, because Im afraid he'll get #MeToo'd in either the primary or the general. Im probably going to jump on with Hickenlooper or Bullock this summer when the major candidates have all declared.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #830 on: January 02, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »

Kamala Harris is rumored to possibly announce her campaign on January 9th, at a speaking event at George Washington University about her new book.

https://www.politics-prose.com/event/book/kamala-harris-truths-we-hold-gw-lisner-auditorium
Not big enough for her announcement I think.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #831 on: January 02, 2019, 11:27:45 PM »

Such great presidents like FDR left no real legacy in minds of most Americans, because they simply forgot about him when he died and Harry Truman became his successor, and they forgot about Truman when Eisenhower take office and so on.

Um...you lost me here. The people who lived through the Depression and WWII very, very, very much remembered FDR throughout their entire lives, whether they loved him or (in smaller numbers) hated him. The memory of FDR only has somewhat faded as those people are basically all dead now.
gottsu
Poland

« Reply #832 on: January 03, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »

Such great presidents like FDR left no real legacy in minds of most Americans, because they simply forgot about him when he died and Harry Truman became his successor, and they forgot about Truman when Eisenhower take office and so on.

Um...you lost me here. The people who lived through the Depression and WWII very, very, very much remembered FDR throughout their entire lives, whether they loved him or (in smaller numbers) hated him. The memory of FDR only has somewhat faded as those people are basically all dead now.

To be frank, New Deal reforms touched relatively small to very small group of people, but there was an large impression in America that these reforms are touching nearly anyone. Does New Deal produced some kind of legacy organizations or adherents who would live way long after Roosevelt's death? Only historians and biographers are working on that in my opinion.

Does his part in WWII is remembered in today's America? You just answered that question above, those who knew that are dead now, and only historians and biographers write books about that which no one really reads (I mean, reading in my country isn't high too).

That means FDR left no real legacy to me.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #833 on: January 03, 2019, 09:18:37 AM »

I mean, when I was in HS, even some of the most aloof students had an idea of who FDR was and what he did.  Just because someone is dead and no one else is alive from that era doesn't mean their legacy dies. At the very least, the children of those people are still alive and well. That itself helps keep FDR's name and legacy alive. Yes, far more kids today won't have many thoughts on FDR and only vague understandings of his contributions to American society and government. That's a given since all of that was ~75-85 years ago. But it doesn't mean he is completely gone from the thoughts of most Americans.

Also, people don't need to be personally affected in a big way to develop a deep sense of loyalty/fondness for a president. Knowing friends and family or even just the community/country in general being helped by that president can do it as well.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #834 on: January 03, 2019, 09:36:25 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #835 on: January 03, 2019, 09:57:41 AM »

Wow, O'Malley not running is quite something, given all his early primary state visits and the like.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #836 on: January 03, 2019, 10:06:20 AM »

Wow, O'Malley not running is quite something, given all his early primary state visits and the like.

I think a lot of the minor candidates are realizing they don't have the infrastructure/staff/funds to go anywhere.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #837 on: January 03, 2019, 10:11:05 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2019, 02:22:27 PM by Mr. Morden »

I think a lot of the minor candidates are realizing they don't have the infrastructure/staff/funds to go anywhere.

Sure.  I guess I wasn't putting O'Malley in the "self aware enough to notice he can't win" category, given that he ran last time despite not having a chance to win.  There are always a bunch of candidates who run despite having no chance.  Why did Gilmore, Pataki, Chafee, etc. run last time?  It was obvious to everyone that they couldn't win, but they ran anyway.  I figured O'Malley was a strong bet to do so this time as well, but I guess not.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #838 on: January 03, 2019, 10:45:26 AM »

Sure.  I guess I wasn't putting O'Malley in the "self aware enough to notice he can't win" category, given that he ran last time despite not having a chance to win.  There are always a bunch of candidates who run despite having no chance.  Why did Gilmore, Partake, Chafee, etc. run last time?  It was obvious to everyone that they couldn't win, but they ran anyway.  I figured O'Malley was a strong bet to do so this time as well, but I guess not.

That's why I think all this talk about 20-25 people running is hyperbolic. At the end of the day many of these minor candidates will realize that an actual campaign is too demanding and costly just to stroke their own ego.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #839 on: January 03, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »

That's why I think all this talk about 20-25 people running is hyperbolic.

It depends on who counts as a candidate.  Are 4th tier candidates like Ojeda, Yang, and Williamson counted in the number?  If so, then there's a strong chance of it being over 20.
ViaActiva

« Reply #840 on: January 03, 2019, 01:39:31 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Haha. The word 'leadership' is doing a lot of work here...
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #841 on: January 03, 2019, 02:21:37 PM »

As part of her book tour, Harris will be on Colbert's show on Jan. 10th:

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/423694-kamala-harris-to-appear-on-the-late-show-amid-2020-speculation
Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #842 on: January 03, 2019, 02:26:41 PM »

O'Malley nooooooooooo
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #843 on: January 03, 2019, 03:29:59 PM »

https://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-congress-feinstein-20190103-story.html

Feinstein has ice in her veins
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #844 on: January 03, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »

Feinstein acting like she's still relevant in 2019 makes for good humor.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #845 on: January 03, 2019, 07:03:06 PM »

Something tells me she and Harris don't have the best working relationship...
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #846 on: January 03, 2019, 07:28:55 PM »

Harris works for the people, or would...if Trump's win hadn't created an opening.

Feinstein works for the interests, always has.

JG

« Reply #847 on: January 03, 2019, 09:16:38 PM »

Weird how both Feinstein and Cuomo endorsed Biden over a senator from their own state. It kind of puts into the question the common view of Gillibrand and Harris as the ''establishment'' candidates.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #848 on: January 04, 2019, 01:45:57 AM »

To be frank, New Deal reforms touched relatively small to very small group of people, but there was an large impression in America that these reforms are touching nearly anyone. Does New Deal produced some kind of legacy organizations or adherents who would live way long after Roosevelt's death? Only historians and biographers are working on that in my opinion.

Does his part in WWII is remembered in today's America? You just answered that question above, those who knew that are dead now, and only historians and biographers write books about that which no one really reads (I mean, reading in my country isn't high too).

That means FDR left no real legacy to me.

I'm sorry but I have no idea what you are talking about??

There's this agency called the Social Security Administration, you might have heard about it. It was one of FDR's New Deal programs, and currently gives money on a monthly basis to roughly 61 million Americans. Now I'm not all that great with numbers but I think 61 million people is a bit more than a "relatively small to very small group of people"

There's also the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the FDIC, which the 93% of American adults with bank accounts know is why their savings are secure no matter what. Literally 93% of people.

Also, while we're talking about money, let's not forget about the Securities and Exchange Commission, the regulatory body responsible for oversight of the $30 trillion dollars currently invested in US stock markets. (And for reference, 52% of Americans own stocks, so I think that's a sizable number of people who benefit)

Oh! Let's not forget the Federal Housing Administration which backs nearly 40% of all home-purchase loans in the United States -- the FHA has allowed tens of millions of people to become home owners; definitely not a "very small group"

While we're at it let's take a  moment to remember the Tennessee Valley Authority, an underappreciated organization that provides very cheap electricity for more than ten million people, generating 152.3 billion kilowatt-hours per year!

Also on a final note I want to mention the Federal Crop Insurance Corporation for its crucial role in providing economic security to our nation's farmers, as a partial owner of a "family farm" (inheritance from my grandfather, with ownership split evenly among me and my cousins) I can speak from a first-hand account how important the FCIC is to literally all farmers in the country.

But anyway yes I think it's fair to say virtually all Americans benefit from FDR's New Deal programs all the time in everyday life, and they continue to hugely affect our economy and society to this day
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #849 on: January 04, 2019, 08:54:17 AM »

Inslee headed to NH this month, and getting shade from the state party chair:

Several potential 2020 Dems have sought advice from Hillary Clinton:

https://www.axios.com/2020-presidential-election-hillary-clinton-endorsement-8b686c6c-d624-40eb-8d50-5effacb3e46f.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies