The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 03:31:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 174638 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: November 08, 2018, 11:14:34 PM »

This story indicates that, despite public denials, O’Rourke has in fact been talking to at least one person in his inner circle about the possibility of launching a presidential campaign:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/politics/beto-orourke-2020-democratic-presidential-race/index.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

In other news, Charlie Baker says he “absolutely” plans to serve out his new term as governor:

https://www.necn.com/news/politics/Massachusetts-Governor-Charlie-Baker-Republican-Re-Election-2nd-Term-Agenda-499941742.html
Harlow

« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2018, 12:46:35 AM »

Of course. There's no room for Charlie in the national GOP.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2018, 12:47:39 AM »

Gillibrand's on Colbert tonight, and she apparently said "I will give it a long, hard thought, consideration" about 2020:

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2018, 01:13:34 AM »
« Edited: November 09, 2018, 01:26:22 AM by Mr. Morden »

Here's the relevant quote:

That's definitely evidence in favor, but it's still just one source.  What does "plans to run" mean here?  He'll announce his candidacy in four months or something?  If so, that's plenty of time for him to change his mind.  Would still put him in the "likely, but not a done deal yet" category.

EDIT: Oh, and the story also notes that Swalwell will be in Iowa this weekend.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #229 on: November 09, 2018, 10:59:03 AM »

Gillibrand's on Colbert tonight, and she apparently said "I will give it a long, hard thought, consideration" about 2020:

Here's the video of her answer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdMyEeEJpAc&t=6m25s
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #230 on: November 09, 2018, 01:42:44 PM »

That's definitely evidence in favor, but it's still just one source.  What does "plans to run" mean here?  He'll announce his candidacy in four months or something?  If so, that's plenty of time for him to change his mind.  Would still put him in the "likely, but not a done deal yet" category.

He went on Fox and basically said he was running too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #231 on: November 09, 2018, 11:56:12 PM »

Howard Schultz hires PR team, including Steve Schmidt:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/09/ex-starbucks-ceo-howard-schultz-builds-elite-pr-team-as-he-mulls-white-house-run.html

de Blasio on 2020:

https://www.silive.com/news/2018/11/de-blasio-for-president-in-2020-he-isnt-ruling-it-out.html

Flake on 2020:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/09/flake-2020-trump-980914

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #232 on: November 10, 2018, 11:33:26 AM »

Of course. There's no room for Charlie in the national GOP.

yeah hogan can probably go somewhere as he is an actual moderate republican while Baker is literally a democrat in all but name.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #233 on: November 10, 2018, 12:51:48 PM »

The NYT has a new story about the Democratic field, with several new tidbits:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/10/us/politics/democrats-2020-president.html

Some bullet points:

-Bullock was in New York this week, post-election, meeting with big $ donors.

-On the phone with one of the victorious candidates this week, Biden was asked about his own plans re: 2020, and “did not sound overly enthused, responding that he was in no rush to have that discussion”.

-Harris is seen by allies as likely to announce “early in next year”, though after her book tour in January (the book comes out on Jan. 8th).

-Warren may conceivably launch before the end of December(!).

tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #234 on: November 10, 2018, 02:03:29 PM »

saw that too-- sounds like a candidate to me. we'll see.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #235 on: November 10, 2018, 02:08:47 PM »

Is this what you're referring to?:

https://video.foxnews.com/v/5859522422001/?#sp=show-clips

Because what he said there is "I'm looking at it", which isn't really new.  Plenty of the other potential candidates say the same thing all the time.  Again, I'd say he's likely, but I wouldn't take this as the last word.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #236 on: November 10, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »

Btw, while that NYT story says that Warren may very well launch her campaign very early, publicly she says that she has no timeline in mind:

http://www.lowellsun.com/todaysheadlines/ci_32261368/warren-no-timeline-presidential-run-decision

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #237 on: November 10, 2018, 07:31:33 PM »

Deval Patrick will do an event in South Carolina next week:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/midterm-elections-return-democrats-to-a-debate-over-their-2020-presidential-choice-passion-or-pragmatism/2018/11/10/b1312dce-e44d-11e8-b759-3d88a5ce9e19_story.html?utm_term=.a8a8bba2519a
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #238 on: November 11, 2018, 04:09:36 PM »

Al Sharpton’s group, the National Action Network, is holidng a Legislative and Policy Conference in DC on Tuesday and Wednesday:

https://nationalactionnetwork.net/newnews/schedule-for-nan-and-activists-to-convene-post-midterms/

Among those participating are Klobuchar, Warren, Harris, Swalwell, Sanders, Gillibrand, Booker, and Brown.

In other news, Cuomo gives a non-denial on 2020:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/416144-ny-governor-non-committal-on-2020-presidential-run-im-focused-on-the

Inslee on 2020:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/mixed-midterm-results-for-gov-jay-inslee-as-he-weighs-2020-plans/

Former Crackhead Mike Lindell
Randall
« Reply #239 on: November 11, 2018, 05:38:54 PM »

Maybe I'm just following this too closely now and not seeing it, or maybe it's still too early, but I'm wondering... where are all the nobodies? Give or take a Deval Patrick, most potential candidates in this thread are currently holding office (or have done so until very recently). Look at previous primaries, there's always nobodies at the bottom of the heap. People who've been out of office for a while, with very little name recognition. They don't do well. They'll withdraw before votes are cast, or after receiving a dozen votes. Mike Gravel, Lincoln Chafee, George Pataki, Jim Gilmore... and so on. Who's going to fill that spot in 2020? You'd think maybe we'd have more people like that seizing their chance and going for it. Again - maybe I'm following it too closely and just not recognizing it. But I'm not seeing it. Where are the 0.1%ers?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #240 on: November 11, 2018, 06:33:26 PM »

Maybe I'm just following this too closely now and not seeing it, or maybe it's still too early, but I'm wondering... where are all the nobodies? Give or take a Deval Patrick, most potential candidates in this thread are currently holding office (or have done so until very recently). Look at previous primaries, there's always nobodies at the bottom of the heap. People who've been out of office for a while, with very little name recognition. They don't do well. They'll withdraw before votes are cast, or after receiving a dozen votes. Mike Gravel, Lincoln Chafee, George Pataki, Jim Gilmore... and so on. Who's going to fill that spot in 2020? You'd think maybe we'd have more people like that seizing their chance and going for it. Again - maybe I'm following it too closely and just not recognizing it. But I'm not seeing it. Where are the 0.1%ers?
John Delaney comes to mind.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #241 on: November 11, 2018, 08:20:33 PM »

John Delaney.

Andrew Yang, if you count his brief experience with the Obama admin. as experience.

Who knows, maybe Lincoln Chafee.

Martin O'Malley.

I'm thinking a random Southern State DINO from the House may run too.
CherokeeDem
UnbakedCake
Rookie

« Reply #242 on: November 11, 2018, 11:11:47 PM »

Well Ojeda just announced he's running so there's your answer.

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/11/richard-ojeda-2020-president/
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #243 on: November 12, 2018, 09:51:04 AM »

Gabbard on 2020:

https://www.theweek.in/wire-updates/international/2018/11/12/fgn25-us-gabbard-ld%20presidency.html

Spiffy
United States

« Reply #244 on: November 12, 2018, 11:00:07 AM »

Sherrod Brown’s wife

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #245 on: November 12, 2018, 11:12:43 AM »

Sherrod Brown’s wife

From the article that links to:

In other news, Politico says Booker, Harris, Hickenlooper, Sanders, and Warren are all looking for staff to man their potential presidential campaigns:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/12/2020-democrats-campaign-staff-983467

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #246 on: November 12, 2018, 02:00:40 PM »

Haven't seen this in the 2020 board:

Last Friday, Steve Bullock was on Morning Joe and talked about the bad influence of money in politics and about showing up in rural areas to make up ground for Democrats. Still declined to answer whether he'll run: Video

The guy comes over as likeable, has definitely a message and a strategy how to win.
Pheurton Skeurto
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #247 on: November 12, 2018, 03:05:22 PM »

Last Friday, Steve Bullock was on Morning Joe and talked about the bad influence of money in politics and about showing up in rural areas to make up ground for Democrats. Still declined to answer whether he'll run: Video

The guy comes over as likeable, has definitely a message and a strategy how to win.

I'm a big Steve Bullock guy. 20% of Trump voters in Montana also voted for him. He's pro-gun, but pro-common sense, pro-net neutrality, runs on a platform of unity across all ideological leanings, comes across as Bernie-esque in terms of potential appeal minus the whole s-word thing.

Because of all that, though, he won't win. It's a shame that the Democrats will end up nominating another candidate who plays the I'm Not Trump/identity politics card, only to get crushed in the states that are more willing to support a candidate like Bullock.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #248 on: November 12, 2018, 03:13:56 PM »

I'm a big Steve Bullock guy. 20% of Trump voters in Montana also voted for him. He's pro-gun, but pro-common sense, pro-net neutrality, runs on a platform of unity across all ideological leanings, comes across as Bernie-esque in terms of potential appeal minus the whole s-word thing.

Because of all that, though, he won't win. It's a shame that the Democrats will end up nominating another candidate who plays the I'm Not Trump/identity politics card, only to get crushed in the states that are more willing to support a candidate like Bullock.

Couldn't agree more. Steve Bullock with a female and possibly minority running mate like Kamala Harris would be pretty tough for Trump. I still hope the Democrats are smart enough.
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #249 on: November 12, 2018, 03:25:18 PM »

Tell us who is playing that card.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies