The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:28:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 80
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 171720 times)
Spiffy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: January 12, 2019, 09:48:03 AM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #976 on: January 12, 2019, 01:14:03 PM »

The Washington Examiner says don’t expect any GOP challengers to declare before June:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/republicans-plotting-to-oppose-trump-in-2020-waiting-for-mueller-and-june-before-pulling-trigger

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Weirdly, it sounds like Team Kasich is leaning more towards an Indy bid than a GOP primary bid because they don’t want to play spoiler???  Don’t they have that backwards?

Looks like McAuliffe said about a week ago that there’s a 50% chance that he’s going to run:

https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-ari-melber/watch/clinton-buddy-mcauliffe-50-chance-i-ll-challenge-trump-in-2020-1420321347679

And while I’m talking McAuliffe, looks like he’s non-committal on whether he would self-fund:

https://freebeacon.com/politics/mcauliffe-wont-say-whether-he-would-self-fund-potential-2020-campaign-accept-corporate-pac-money/

Bloomberg on the other hand, does say that he’ll self-fund:

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-container/Politics/wireStory/bloomberg-hed-fund-2020-white-house-bid-60315610

And finally, Andrew Cuomo still not running:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/cuomo-insists-he-will-not-join-presidential-race/article_5392ddd7-e56d-537c-971f-a2534adced0c.html

beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #977 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:49 PM »

Maybe Kasich wants to throw the election?  I think even just being in the race gives him a pretty good chance of that.  And there’s some sense in not getting involved in a messy primary and just jumping in as an independent.

I wonder who he’d pick as his running-mate?  I sort of think it’d be some Democrat, though obviously someone out of office and probably not a Governor.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #978 on: January 12, 2019, 02:58:28 PM »

« Biden has told some that he’s running » and could even announce on January 15.

https://politicalwire.com/2019/01/12/biden-has-told-some-hes-running/

So that is official but he will just officially announce later in January or in early February.
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

« Reply #979 on: January 12, 2019, 03:29:48 PM »

Maybe Kasich wants to throw the election?  I think even just being in the race gives him a pretty good chance of that.  And there’s some sense in not getting involved in a messy primary and just jumping in as an independent.

I wonder who he’d pick as his running-mate?  I sort of think it’d be some Democrat, though obviously someone out of office and probably not a Governor.

Mattis and Lieberman would both be interesting and make sense.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #980 on: January 12, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »

Mattis and Lieberman would both be interesting and make sense.

Mattis would bring a ton of credibility to the ticket, but I doubt he'd run against his former boss. Lieberman seems more likely, considering that he even endorsed McCain in '08.
JG

« Reply #981 on: January 12, 2019, 03:46:17 PM »

« Biden has told some that he’s running » and could even announce on January 15.

So that is official but he will just officially announce later in January or in early February.

Ugh.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #982 on: January 12, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »

Ugh.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #983 on: January 12, 2019, 04:28:15 PM »

Ugh.
Big Boy Beto
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.31, S: -0.83

« Reply #984 on: January 12, 2019, 05:29:11 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2019, 05:34:35 PM by Certified Tea Drinker »

I doubt he’d win the primaries but Biden is right in saying that he’s the Democrats’ best hope in 2020. Appeals to the blue collar workers in ways that other candidates cannot, and that is the key to winning back the Rust Belt and therefore the White House.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #985 on: January 12, 2019, 06:05:10 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #986 on: January 12, 2019, 06:10:30 PM »

Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #987 on: January 12, 2019, 06:16:15 PM »

I doubt he’d win the primaries but Biden is right in saying that he’s the Democrats’ best hope in 2020. Appeals to the blue collar workers in ways that other candidates cannot, and that is the key to winning back the Rust Belt and therefore the White House.

Brown appeals to blue collar workers just as much as Biden, and he has a lot less baggage. Only thing is that he would give up his Senate seat and it may be tough for Democrats to get it back after DeWine appoints a replacement.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #988 on: January 12, 2019, 06:40:34 PM »

Here's a recap of Inslee's Nevada appearance today, with a quote from him about his 2020 decision:

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/01/12/national-politics/democratic-governors-mayors-could-crowd-2020-presidential-primaries/

Historically, sitting governors are often among the last of the presidential candidates to formally declare their candidacy (just look at the 2016 election cycle timeline).  FHQ's timeline of state legislative sessions:

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2019/01/invisibleprimary-visible-primary.html

shows that Washington's legislative session this year ends on April 28th, while Montana's ends on May 1st.  You might expect Inslee and Bullock to then wait until May to start their presidential campaigns, but it looks like Inslee at least isn't going to wait that long.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #989 on: January 12, 2019, 06:46:35 PM »

When has Biden won in an election in a state with blue collar workers? Being Obama’s second banana doesn’t count and is irrelevant. Most people couldn’t pick the VP out in a lineup. Biden is a perpetual loser in presidential politics. And white blue collar workers are not the only key to win back the White House. Some of you continuously act like other demographics don’t live in these states.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #990 on: January 12, 2019, 06:46:37 PM »

This is a misleading recap if you read the Axios story that this is based on:

https://www.axios.com/1-election-thing-joe-biden-is-running-most-days-1547307957-62bbf645-69e3-4df5-bad3-1f8da28670f2.html

That story starts out by saying that Biden has told some people he's running, but then ends with:

So it sounds like more of a muddle, with no clear conclusion as to whether he's really decided or not.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #991 on: January 12, 2019, 08:06:55 PM »

Brown:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/11/sherrod-brown-trump-slayer-heres-his-big-idea/?utm_term=.d927aea83e3e

nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #992 on: January 12, 2019, 08:42:54 PM »

Gillibrand is in (not that anyone expected different)

"In A Private Meeting, Kirsten Gillibrand Signals She Will Run For President"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/darrensands/gillibrand-private-meeting-women-2020-president
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #993 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:12 PM »

Oh, I think he can win the primaries, especially if his more progressive opposition is split between so many other candidates.

Though I wonder during the general election campaign if he can end up like Hillary Clinton in 2016 when certain key constituencies didn't show up in the required numbers in key states, despite winning the overall popular vote.  He could make up WWC support in some states, but fall short with other constituencies (like young people and women) in others.  
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #994 on: January 12, 2019, 09:16:15 PM »

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/darrensands/gillibrand-private-meeting-women-2020-president

ew
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #995 on: January 12, 2019, 11:50:13 PM »

Oh, I think he can win the primaries, especially if his more progressive opposition is split between so many other candidates.

Though I wonder during the general election campaign if he can end up like Hillary Clinton in 2016 when certain key constituencies didn't show up in the required numbers in key states, despite winning the overall popular vote.  He could make up WWC support in some states, but fall short with other constituencies (like young people and women) in others.  

Yep. His more progressive opposition will be divided between Sanders and Warren, which makes me believe that he may win the New Hampshire primary. So he would win more easily.

That’s how moderate Republicans like John McCain and Mitt Romney won the Republican nomination, respectively in 2008 and 2012 because their more conservative opposition was divided between Romney and Huckabee in 2008 and between Gingrich and Santorum in 2012.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #996 on: January 13, 2019, 12:51:43 AM »

Quote from that story:

"Possibly in January."  My guess is she announces it much earlier than the end of January.  Probably within the next week, IMHO, based on the news coming out of Team Gillibrand these last few days.  I mean, she's apparently made these hires for her proto-presidential campaign, and even rented office space.  Plus according to this story, she's (privately) telling groups of people outsider her immediate orbit that she's decided to run.

This looks like someone who's going to announce something in just a few days.  It would make sense for her to announce her exploratory committee before she goes on that trip to Iowa (which she's reportedly going to make next weekend.)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #997 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:14 AM »

Gillibrand looks to me like someone who will try to play the long game, who will be a constant but reduced presence there until everyone else collapses. Something like Kasich. Might not be a good plan anyways. That or she'll be another Scott Walker.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #998 on: January 13, 2019, 12:31:55 PM »

Gillibrand looks to me like someone who will try to play the long game, who will be a constant but reduced presence there until everyone else collapses. Something like Kasich. Might not be a good plan anyways. That or she'll be another Scott Walker.

The whole point of a primary is to win big early on and gain "momentum" (at least in theory). The fact that most of the recent presidential primaries have dragged on has made people forget that they're often decided by Super Tuesday or earlier.
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #999 on: January 13, 2019, 12:53:23 PM »

Supporters of Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) held over 400 house parties in all 50 states and Puerto Rico on Saturday afternoon calling on Sanders to run for president again in 2020. Saturday’s show of force, arranged by Organizing for Bernie ― an upstart group founded by Sanders campaign alumni and grassroots activists ― demonstrated one of the senator’s biggest advantages if he decides to return to the ring: a network of supporters already familiar with his message and skilled in do-it-yourself internet organizing.

Although Sanders and his campaign team were not directly involved in Saturday’s events, the house parties were co-sponsored by People for Bernie and Our Revolution, the latter group created to carry on the mission of Sanders’ 2016 campaign. The livestream, which was broadcast by progressive media upstart Act.tv, had attracted over 100,000 views as of Saturday evening.

Source -  Huffington Post
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies