Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2019, 10:59:23 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Election 2018 predictions for US Senate are now open!.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
| |-+  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, TJ in Oregon, Virginiá)
| | |-+  The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 Print
Author Topic: The “Who is running in 2020?” tea leaves thread, Part 3  (Read 47655 times)
MycroftCZ
YaBB God

View Profile Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #975 on: January 11, 2019, 09:24:23 pm »

I like how it's not red, white, and blue. A nice change of pace. There should be a campaign logo thread Tongue

MAGugh
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #976 on: January 11, 2019, 09:26:37 pm »

I like how it's not red, white, and blue. A nice change of pace. There should be a campaign logo thread Tongue

lemme just go ahead and steal this idea

Sentor MAINEiac4434 of Lincoln
MAINEiac4434
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

P P
« Reply #977 on: January 11, 2019, 11:59:01 pm »

Please no DINOs.
*looks at sig*

*becomes confused*

Fmr. Deputy Speaker Spark
Spark498
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.29, S: 2.17

P P

« Reply #978 on: January 12, 2019, 01:28:57 am »

Kamala Harris is announcing next week!

Endorsements:

2020: POTUS- Donald Trump (R)
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #979 on: January 12, 2019, 09:48:03 am »

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #980 on: January 12, 2019, 01:14:03 pm »

The Washington Examiner says don’t expect any GOP challengers to declare before June:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/campaigns/republicans-plotting-to-oppose-trump-in-2020-waiting-for-mueller-and-june-before-pulling-trigger

Political operatives and potential candidates that inhabit the loose-knit community of Republicans who oppose Trump’s re-election are eyeing June as the approximate moment for deciding on a primary challenge or independent bid. It’s a strategic delay. Some Republicans think the weight of multiple investigations could motivate the president to exit the White House after one term — especially if special counsel Robert Mueller issues a politically damaging report.

"The scenario I think we could be heading toward is Trump hitting a Mueller-induced problem where there would suddenly be several people looking at running because of the odds increasing that he won’t run again," said Rob Stutzman, a veteran GOP consultant in Sacramento, Calif., who has had discussions with like-minded Republicans about how Trump 2020 might be derailed.

Weirdly, it sounds like Team Kasich is leaning more towards an Indy bid than a GOP primary bid because they don’t want to play spoiler???  Don’t they have that backwards?

But Kasich isn’t interested in waging a primary campaign that might hobble the president against the Democrats in the general election but falls short of the White House. That’s why he’s considering running as an independent. Any Kasich bid, independent or GOP, would likely rely quite a bit on New Hampshire. The governor finished second there in the 2016 primary, and his supporters in the state say he retains considerable backing for another run.

"We would not run to be a Pat Buchanan-like spoiler. That's not anything that the governor or we are interested in," said John Weaver, a senior Kasich adviser. "We have an organization in place in New Hampshire that's grown since we finished second in 2016. We have consolidated, to some degree, the anti-Trump or disparate groups around the country who are opposed to the president within the party."

Looks like McAuliffe said about a week ago that there’s a 50% chance that he’s going to run:

https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-ari-melber/watch/clinton-buddy-mcauliffe-50-chance-i-ll-challenge-trump-in-2020-1420321347679

And while I’m talking McAuliffe, looks like he’s non-committal on whether he would self-fund:

https://freebeacon.com/politics/mcauliffe-wont-say-whether-he-would-self-fund-potential-2020-campaign-accept-corporate-pac-money/

Bloomberg on the other hand, does say that he’ll self-fund:

https://abcnews.go.com/beta-story-container/Politics/wireStory/bloomberg-hed-fund-2020-white-house-bid-60315610

And finally, Andrew Cuomo still not running:

https://www.niagara-gazette.com/news/local_news/cuomo-insists-he-will-not-join-presidential-race/article_5392ddd7-e56d-537c-971f-a2534adced0c.html

As Andrew Cuomo tells it now, it’s important that there not be any public “ambiguity” about his political plans. In a public radio interview, he said if he were to be thought of as a candidate for the White House, state legislators might accuse him of taking actions based on his political ambition. He also said, “I don’t want to waste time on dialogue with reporters, (asking) ‘Well are you running or are you not running?”

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

What is your opinion of this thread?

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

P P
« Reply #981 on: January 12, 2019, 02:44:49 pm »

Maybe Kasich wants to throw the election?  I think even just being in the race gives him a pretty good chance of that.  And there’s some sense in not getting involved in a messy primary and just jumping in as an independent.

I wonder who he’d pick as his running-mate?  I sort of think it’d be some Democrat, though obviously someone out of office and probably not a Governor.

UWS
YaBB God

« Reply #982 on: January 12, 2019, 02:58:28 pm »

« Biden has told some that he’s running » and could even announce on January 15.

https://politicalwire.com/2019/01/12/biden-has-told-some-hes-running/

So that is official but he will just officially announce later in January or in early February.

My timeline - Iowa is Rubio Country : https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=259588
aaroncd107

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.00

P P
« Reply #983 on: January 12, 2019, 03:29:48 pm »

Maybe Kasich wants to throw the election?  I think even just being in the race gives him a pretty good chance of that.  And there’s some sense in not getting involved in a messy primary and just jumping in as an independent.

I wonder who he’d pick as his running-mate?  I sort of think it’d be some Democrat, though obviously someone out of office and probably not a Governor.

Mattis and Lieberman would both be interesting and make sense.

White Americans
What, nothin' better to do?
Why don't you kick yourself out?
You're an immigrant too

Sherrod Brown for President 2020
Beto O'Rourke for something 20XX
Roll Roons
United States

« Reply #984 on: January 12, 2019, 03:40:38 pm »

Mattis and Lieberman would both be interesting and make sense.

Mattis would bring a ton of credibility to the ticket, but I doubt he'd run against his former boss. Lieberman seems more likely, considering that he even endorsed McCain in '08.
JG
YaBB God

P
« Reply #985 on: January 12, 2019, 03:46:17 pm »

« Biden has told some that he’s running » and could even announce on January 15.

So that is official but he will just officially announce later in January or in early February.

Ugh.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -2.61

« Reply #986 on: January 12, 2019, 04:26:41 pm »

Ugh.
Sinema-Hobbs-Hoffman-Trump Voter
OntarioProgressive
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

P P
« Reply #987 on: January 12, 2019, 04:28:15 pm »

Ugh.

We exist, and it is why Arizona is Safe R in 2020! Smiley
Certified Tea Drinker
Big Boy Beto
United Kingdom

« Reply #988 on: January 12, 2019, 05:29:11 pm »

I doubt he’d win the primaries but Biden is right in saying that he’s the Democrats’ best hope in 2020. Appeals to the blue collar workers in ways that other candidates cannot, and that is the key to winning back the Rust Belt and therefore the White House.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:34:35 pm by Certified Tea Drinker »Logged

———————————————————————
Endorsement for president: Gov. Kasich

Compass coordinates: Economic 1.23, Social 0.97
Lognog
United States

« Reply #989 on: January 12, 2019, 06:05:10 pm »

Ugh.

Solidarity Forever
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #990 on: January 12, 2019, 06:10:30 pm »

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

19:08   oakvale   keep your furry horror out of here please

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Roll Roons
United States

« Reply #991 on: January 12, 2019, 06:16:15 pm »

I doubt he’d win the primaries but Biden is right in saying that he’s the Democrats’ best hope in 2020. Appeals to the blue collar workers in ways that other candidates cannot, and that is the key to winning back the Rust Belt and therefore the White House.

Brown appeals to blue collar workers just as much as Biden, and he has a lot less baggage. Only thing is that he would give up his Senate seat and it may be tough for Democrats to get it back after DeWine appoints a replacement.
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #992 on: January 12, 2019, 06:40:34 pm »

Here's a recap of Inslee's Nevada appearance today, with a quote from him about his 2020 decision:

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/01/12/national-politics/democratic-governors-mayors-could-crowd-2020-presidential-primaries/

The 67-year-old governor and former congressman told The Associated Press in an interview after that he hasn’t made a decision about whether to run for president but “it won’t be months away.” Inslee said he’s talking to potential staff and traveling to talk with Democrats around the country, but there’s “no litmus test or pivot point” that his decision hinges on.

Historically, sitting governors are often among the last of the presidential candidates to formally declare their candidacy (just look at the 2016 election cycle timeline).  FHQ's timeline of state legislative sessions:

http://frontloading.blogspot.com/2019/01/invisibleprimary-visible-primary.html

shows that Washington's legislative session this year ends on April 28th, while Montana's ends on May 1st.  You might expect Inslee and Bullock to then wait until May to start their presidential campaigns, but it looks like Inslee at least isn't going to wait that long.

My magnum opus is now complete.  Read the complete "The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy & Blondie" (now in paperback).

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
RFKFan68
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #993 on: January 12, 2019, 06:46:35 pm »

When has Biden won in an election in a state with blue collar workers? Being Obama’s second banana doesn’t count and is irrelevant. Most people couldn’t pick the VP out in a lineup. Biden is a perpetual loser in presidential politics. And white blue collar workers are not the only key to win back the White House. Some of you continuously act like other demographics don’t live in these states.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #994 on: January 12, 2019, 06:46:37 pm »

This is a misleading recap if you read the Axios story that this is based on:

https://www.axios.com/1-election-thing-joe-biden-is-running-most-days-1547307957-62bbf645-69e3-4df5-bad3-1f8da28670f2.html

That story starts out by saying that Biden has told some people he's running, but then ends with:

We're told authoritatively that Biden hasn't decided. So who knows where his head winds up.

So it sounds like more of a muddle, with no clear conclusion as to whether he's really decided or not.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #995 on: January 12, 2019, 08:06:55 pm »

Brown:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/01/11/sherrod-brown-trump-slayer-heres-his-big-idea/?utm_term=.d927aea83e3e

Sen. Sherrod Brown will travel to the early presidential primary states in coming weeks, he confirmed to me in an interview.
“Connie and I are going to go into the primary states fairly soon,” Brown told me. “We’ll assess and decide within a couple of months.”

nolesfan2011
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

P
View Profile WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #996 on: January 12, 2019, 08:42:54 pm »

Gillibrand is in (not that anyone expected different)

"In A Private Meeting, Kirsten Gillibrand Signals She Will Run For President"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/darrensands/gillibrand-private-meeting-women-2020-president

"we won't always use the same words. But we will always fight the same fight."-John Edwards

"We have the opportunity to move not only toward the rich society and the powerful society, but upward to the Great Society"-LBJ

"if you're not turned on to politics, politics will turn on you"- Ralph Nader

"A liberal knows that the only certainty in this life is change but believes that the change can be directed toward a constructive end."-Henry Wallace
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #997 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:12 pm »

Oh, I think he can win the primaries, especially if his more progressive opposition is split between so many other candidates.

Though I wonder during the general election campaign if he can end up like Hillary Clinton in 2016 when certain key constituencies didn't show up in the required numbers in key states, despite winning the overall popular vote.  He could make up WWC support in some states, but fall short with other constituencies (like young people and women) in others.  

Grassr00ts
YaBB God
United States

P
« Reply #998 on: January 12, 2019, 09:16:15 pm »

Gillibrand is in (not that anyone expected different)

"In A Private Meeting, Kirsten Gillibrand Signals She Will Run For President"

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/darrensands/gillibrand-private-meeting-women-2020-president

ew

John Kasich for President 2020!

Cartoon of the week:

Ok, so basically, i'm a Midwestern Realist Conservative Republican Populist™.
UWS
YaBB God

« Reply #999 on: January 12, 2019, 11:50:13 pm »

Oh, I think he can win the primaries, especially if his more progressive opposition is split between so many other candidates.

Though I wonder during the general election campaign if he can end up like Hillary Clinton in 2016 when certain key constituencies didn't show up in the required numbers in key states, despite winning the overall popular vote.  He could make up WWC support in some states, but fall short with other constituencies (like young people and women) in others.  

Yep. His more progressive opposition will be divided between Sanders and Warren, which makes me believe that he may win the New Hampshire primary. So he would win more easily.

That’s how moderate Republicans like John McCain and Mitt Romney won the Republican nomination, respectively in 2008 and 2012 because their more conservative opposition was divided between Romney and Huckabee in 2008 and between Gingrich and Santorum in 2012.

My timeline - Iowa is Rubio Country : https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=259588
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout