Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 02:02:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 99
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 147417 times)
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: June 05, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »

Go Blackcaps.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #876 on: June 05, 2019, 05:03:16 PM »

Watch 'Years and Years' when it comes on in the US; I beg you.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #877 on: June 06, 2019, 12:13:42 AM »

I'm almost certain that I want to return to school and further my education. Although my Sociology degree has proven invaluable in terms of benefitting me personally (it really helped to open my eyes, challenged my previous ignorant worldview, and made me a good enough person to meet and fall in love with my fiancee), it has done practically nothing for my career prospects and I have no interest in Marketing or Social Work.

So, I want to return to school, study the necessary prerequisites, and pursue a Masters degree in some quantitative/STEM field like Statistics. I don't know which degree in particular quite yet, but I do know that I want to work in a field that aligns with my "Incestigative" personality type and focuses on numbers and analysis.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #878 on: June 06, 2019, 06:07:16 AM »

I was on tv last night! Featuring as "disappointed Switzerland fan" as we got beaten 3-1 by Portugal Cristiano Ronaldo.

Now need to spend today avoiding being murdered by England fans
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #879 on: June 06, 2019, 11:15:12 AM »

Did some business with a Chechen today. What a psycho.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #880 on: June 06, 2019, 03:15:07 PM »

Me six weeks ago: Hmm [woman I'm interested in] is cute but I worry she might be tradfash
Her today: I identify as an intersectional feminist and my favorite world literature is Nigerian

Most pleasantly surprised I've been with someone I'm just getting to know in years.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #881 on: June 06, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »

Gave my notice today. Cool

They took it incredibly well, so I am thankful for that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #882 on: June 06, 2019, 05:15:49 PM »

Tailpipe fell off my car on the way home from work. Stopped by the neighborhood shop and test drive a $2K 2002 Jeep Liberty. Good enough, but the smoke smell is suffocating. Gonna stop by dealerships tomorrow. It’d be nice to have a car by my Friday shift. Tongue
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #883 on: June 06, 2019, 05:30:20 PM »

Tailpipe fell off my car on the way home from work. Stopped by the neighborhood shop and test drive a $2K 2002 Jeep Liberty. Good enough, but the smoke smell is suffocating. Gonna stop by dealerships tomorrow. It’d be nice to have a car by my Friday shift. Tongue

I'm in the market for a used car too. Currently leaning towards a 2010 Chevy Impala that I test drove on Tuesday, but there's also a 2005 Subaru Impreza that's a possibility.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #884 on: June 06, 2019, 05:35:38 PM »

I'm in the market for a used car too. Currently leaning towards a 2010 Chevy Impala that I test drove on Tuesday, but there's also a 2005 Subaru Impreza that's a possibility.

My vehicle’s been on borrowed time for years, and since I finally got a decent paying job I’ve been casually looking, but this has been a kick in the pants. Shopping ain’t as easy as it could be, since these days I’m asleep when the dealerships open. Been looking at Ford Rangers and a few Jeep types, preferably late 2000’s or newer (tho the Ranger is capped at 2011 of course).
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #885 on: June 06, 2019, 07:39:02 PM »

Speaking Urdu in London is amazing. Free meals at any Pakistani place. Reminds me of Islamabad.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #886 on: June 06, 2019, 11:44:14 PM »

Personally, I'd avoid a Jeep as they are one of the least reliable makes these days. I just got a new used car myself. Got an excellent rate of 2.69% on the 72 month loan I took out so I could keep my money invested.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #887 on: June 07, 2019, 11:59:47 AM »

I have recently become fascinated with the ethnic and genetic diversity of the human race, and it has specifically led me to doing a lot of research about ethnolinguistic families.  This has actually led me in a bit more of a "conservative" direction on the issues of the nation state and cultural identity; obviously, I have a huge issue with nationalism as a guiding political philosophy, but I certainly see where these people are coming from.  Their views cannot - and definitely should not - be boiled down to "ew, racists."

I find the general idea that you can't be fascinated with tracing certain people's origins (i.e., finding it interesting that someone of mainly Scottish stock is loosely descended from the Celts and Proto-Indo Europeans before them) without treading too close to racism is just laughable and oh-so-stupid.
 Isn't that the point of *Diversity*?  That we look at how cool the different stories of different people groups are?  Anyway, the reason I am yapping is to suggest this YouTube channel to anyone who also is interested in this type of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1vVNQN-TCy8d3Mb_Owr2Kw/playlists
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #888 on: June 07, 2019, 01:03:17 PM »

Welcome to the alt-right Tom!
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #889 on: June 07, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »

[i know i left, this is just me poppin in real quick cuz i want to say this]

Okay, so today is my last day. In my final class of the year, I have to write a letter to the teacher about how I've changed over the school year. Soooooooooo...I came out. I did it. In a school assignment.

I have changed a lot as a student from the beginning of the school year to the end. I believe that the time that this school year was in, especially the second semester, changed my outlook on life. Not necessarily academically, but more so generally, my life is now very different than it once was. 2019 in general has personally been one of the most important and revealing years of my life, if not the most. At the beginning of the semester, I was lonely, confused, afraid, and worried. But granted, while I still feel a little bit that way to an extent that way as of now, I can definitely say I am at least a little bit better. I have met some fantastic people, both inside and outside of West, who are amazing to talk to, and have been really kind in helping me find myself and all that. I owe all of them a large amount of respect for how they have expressed love, kindness, friendliness, and even a little humour now and then. I have also made a recent discovery in my life. I am still keeping it secret, and it’s hard to come out about it, but I’ve come to the conclusion that I am in fact transgender. To be honest, it’s hard to say, but I am comfortable saying that since I probably won’t see you again, and I trust you enough to not tell anyone. It’s been hard for me to accept, and it’s still hard to wrap my head around the concept of it all, plus a fear that I might not be accepted, but with the help of some really close friends, and amazing therapist named Autumn, as well as an attempt I am in the process of improving my mental health and self-esteem. Deep down, I’ve honestly come to accept that while I still have many, many fears of life, most of which I refuse to talk about to anyone, but I have started to accept that it’s all gonna be okay.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #890 on: June 07, 2019, 08:48:11 PM »

I think I just got my a&& kicked today with a big exam I had to take.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #891 on: June 08, 2019, 04:08:30 AM »
« Edited: June 08, 2019, 06:38:32 AM by Santander »

Back in Switzerland. Much better weather than earlier in the week.
FairBol
United States

« Reply #892 on: June 08, 2019, 09:29:58 AM »

OK, philosophical thought...."on the road of life, there are passengers and there are drivers.  Drivers wanted" -- 90s Volkswagen Ad  Smiley
FairBol
United States

« Reply #893 on: June 08, 2019, 09:31:43 AM »

BTW, I post a lot of random thoughts here
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #894 on: June 08, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »

My vehicle’s been on borrowed time for years, and since I finally got a decent paying job I’ve been casually looking, but this has been a kick in the pants. Shopping ain’t as easy as it could be, since these days I’m asleep when the dealerships open. Been looking at Ford Rangers and a few Jeep types, preferably late 2000’s or newer (tho the Ranger is capped at 2011 of course).

Personally, I'd avoid a Jeep as they are one of the least reliable makes these days. I just got a new used car myself. Got an excellent rate of 2.69% on the 72 month loan I took out so I could keep my money invested.

My folks got a new ‘89 Cherokee and had it for almost 10 years. It was pretty good, though it did have some radiator issues. They replaced it with a ‘98 Grand Cherokee. That one blew its engine at 53,000 miles and was never the same even after it got a new engine.

They replaced the Grand Cherokee with an ‘01 Toyota Highlander. They gave me the Highlander about 6 years ago and I hit 300,000 miles on Monday. Mine’s AWD and only a 4 speed, but if you don’t need AWD and you can get one from 2003-2007 (5 speed automatic on the V6), I’d get that over the Liberty. I’d stay away from a 4 cylinder Highlander because they’re really underpowered.

I’m in the new car market myself. Looking at hatchbacks and leaning towards the Subaru Impreza.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #895 on: June 09, 2019, 01:02:45 AM »

Saw my first in-person no-hitter tonight, courtesy of Kumar Rocker!
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #896 on: June 09, 2019, 10:12:24 PM »

Very severe weather in Dallas. It seemed to come out of nowhere and leave just as fast. 200k people without power including me. Luckily I got a generator which powers a good chunk if things in the house. Massive tree branches came crashing down and were blocking some roads, heck this is second major headline on CNN right now

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/09/us/dallas-strong-winds-damage/index.html

Pretty awful. I was caught outside during the storm, and got some fast moving dusty debris in my eyes, winds were like 70 mph. Spent most of the day cleaning up the yard which looks like a warzone. Tree branch also wrecked part of the gutter system. Pretty scary stuff, some of the most intense weather I have ever experienced.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #897 on: June 10, 2019, 07:47:34 AM »

My new lover and I are enjoying our last day in NC. We’re driving down to GA for the final leg of our trip. She’s the most lovely person, and she’s been through more than anyone I’ve ever known. It really put aspects of my own life into perspective.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #898 on: June 11, 2019, 01:51:55 AM »

LCY is a zoo during peak am business travel hours, not helped by the construction outside. Missed my flight. ☹️
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #899 on: June 11, 2019, 04:08:40 PM »

A teenager I mentored has turned alt-right.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41 ... 99  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies