Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2019, 07:14:55 pm
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

Atlas Forum
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: NYGurl, Cath, TJ in Oregon)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 46 Print
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 37799 times)
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: June 07, 2019, 11:59:47 am »

I have recently become fascinated with the ethnic and genetic diversity of the human race, and it has specifically led me to doing a lot of research about ethnolinguistic families.  This has actually led me in a bit more of a "conservative" direction on the issues of the nation state and cultural identity; obviously, I have a huge issue with nationalism as a guiding political philosophy, but I certainly see where these people are coming from.  Their views cannot - and definitely should not - be boiled down to "ew, racists."

I find the general idea that you can't be fascinated with tracing certain people's origins (i.e., finding it interesting that someone of mainly Scottish stock is loosely descended from the Celts and Proto-Indo Europeans before them) without treading too close to racism is just laughable and oh-so-stupid.
 Isn't that the point of *Diversity*?  That we look at how cool the different stories of different people groups are?  Anyway, the reason I am yapping is to suggest this YouTube channel to anyone who also is interested in this type of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1vVNQN-TCy8d3Mb_Owr2Kw/playlists
Santander
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 3.54, S: 4.78

« Reply #901 on: June 07, 2019, 01:03:17 pm »

Welcome to the alt-right Tom!
KoopaDaQuick
YaBB God
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: -5.13

« Reply #902 on: June 07, 2019, 01:42:25 pm »

[i know i left, this is just me poppin in real quick cuz i want to say this]

Okay, so today is my last day. In my final class of the year, I have to write a letter to the teacher about how I've changed over the school year. Soooooooooo...I came out. I did it. In a school assignment.

I have changed a lot as a student from the beginning of the school year to the end. I believe that the time that this school year was in, especially the second semester, changed my outlook on life. Not necessarily academically, but more so generally, my life is now very different than it once was. 2019 in general has personally been one of the most important and revealing years of my life, if not the most. At the beginning of the semester, I was lonely, confused, afraid, and worried. But granted, while I still feel a little bit that way to an extent that way as of now, I can definitely say I am at least a little bit better. I have met some fantastic people, both inside and outside of West, who are amazing to talk to, and have been really kind in helping me find myself and all that. I owe all of them a large amount of respect for how they have expressed love, kindness, friendliness, and even a little humour now and then. I have also made a recent discovery in my life. I am still keeping it secret, and itís hard to come out about it, but Iíve come to the conclusion that I am in fact transgender. To be honest, itís hard to say, but I am comfortable saying that since I probably wonít see you again, and I trust you enough to not tell anyone. Itís been hard for me to accept, and itís still hard to wrap my head around the concept of it all, plus a fear that I might not be accepted, but with the help of some really close friends, and amazing therapist named Autumn, as well as an attempt I am in the process of improving my mental health and self-esteem. Deep down, Iíve honestly come to accept that while I still have many, many fears of life, most of which I refuse to talk about to anyone, but I have started to accept that itís all gonna be okay.
Let Dogs Survive
MormDem
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #903 on: June 07, 2019, 08:48:11 pm »

I think I just got my a&& kicked today with a big exam I had to take.
Santander
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix

« Reply #904 on: June 08, 2019, 04:08:30 am »
« Edited: June 08, 2019, 06:38:32 am by Santander »

Back in Switzerland. Much better weather than earlier in the week.
FairBol
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #905 on: June 08, 2019, 09:29:58 am »

OK, philosophical thought...."on the road of life, there are passengers and there are drivers.  Drivers wanted" -- 90s Volkswagen Ad  Smiley
FairBol
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #906 on: June 08, 2019, 09:31:43 am »

BTW, I post a lot of random thoughts here
Fubart Solman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #907 on: June 08, 2019, 11:52:33 am »

Tailpipe fell off my car on the way home from work. Stopped by the neighborhood shop and test drive a $2K 2002 Jeep Liberty. Good enough, but the smoke smell is suffocating. Gonna stop by dealerships tomorrow. Itíd be nice to have a car by my Friday shift. Tongue

I'm in the market for a used car too. Currently leaning towards a 2010 Chevy Impala that I test drove on Tuesday, but there's also a 2005 Subaru Impreza that's a possibility.

My vehicleís been on borrowed time for years, and since I finally got a decent paying job Iíve been casually looking, but this has been a kick in the pants. Shopping ainít as easy as it could be, since these days Iím asleep when the dealerships open. Been looking at Ford Rangers and a few Jeep types, preferably late 2000ís or newer (tho the Ranger is capped at 2011 of course).

Personally, I'd avoid a Jeep as they are one of the least reliable makes these days. I just got a new used car myself. Got an excellent rate of 2.69% on the 72 month loan I took out so I could keep my money invested.

My folks got a new Ď89 Cherokee and had it for almost 10 years. It was pretty good, though it did have some radiator issues. They replaced it with a Ď98 Grand Cherokee. That one blew its engine at 53,000 miles and was never the same even after it got a new engine.

They replaced the Grand Cherokee with an Ď01 Toyota Highlander. They gave me the Highlander about 6 years ago and I hit 300,000 miles on Monday. Mineís AWD and only a 4 speed, but if you donít need AWD and you can get one from 2003-2007 (5 speed automatic on the V6), Iíd get that over the Liberty. Iíd stay away from a 4 cylinder Highlander because theyíre really underpowered.

Iím in the new car market myself. Looking at hatchbacks and leaning towards the Subaru Impreza.
Pro-Life Single Issue Voter
ExtremeRepublican
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: 7.83

« Reply #908 on: June 09, 2019, 01:02:45 am »

Saw my first in-person no-hitter tonight, courtesy of Kumar Rocker!
Bagel23
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

P P
« Reply #909 on: June 09, 2019, 10:12:24 pm »

Very severe weather in Dallas. It seemed to come out of nowhere and leave just as fast. 200k people without power including me. Luckily I got a generator which powers a good chunk if things in the house. Massive tree branches came crashing down and were blocking some roads, heck this is second major headline on CNN right now

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/09/us/dallas-strong-winds-damage/index.html

Pretty awful. I was caught outside during the storm, and got some fast moving dusty debris in my eyes, winds were like 70 mph. Spent most of the day cleaning up the yard which looks like a warzone. Tree branch also wrecked part of the gutter system. Pretty scary stuff, some of the most intense weather I have ever experienced.
Fredo Cuomo
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P

« Reply #910 on: June 10, 2019, 07:47:34 am »

My new lover and I are enjoying our last day in NC. Weíre driving down to GA for the final leg of our trip. Sheís the most lovely person, and sheís been through more than anyone Iíve ever known. It really put aspects of my own life into perspective.
Santander
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix

« Reply #911 on: June 11, 2019, 01:51:55 am »

LCY is a zoo during peak am business travel hours, not helped by the construction outside. Missed my flight. ☹️
Santander
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix

« Reply #912 on: June 11, 2019, 04:08:40 pm »

A teenager I mentored has turned alt-right.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #913 on: June 11, 2019, 04:24:05 pm »

A teenager I mentored has turned alt-right.

Better watch out before they make you drink hemlock for corrupting the youth. Wink
Santander
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix

« Reply #914 on: June 12, 2019, 07:53:29 pm »

Between miles flown YTD and flights booked over the coming weeks, I should requalify for 1K on United. Now the question is if I should push for Global Services or spread the love in the second half of the year and get BA Gold or Singapore PPS.
sawx
SawxDem
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #915 on: June 13, 2019, 01:18:04 am »

It really do be like that sometimes.
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #916 on: June 13, 2019, 03:11:29 pm »

Officially got our apartment today, so we'll be real Illinoisans August 2nd.  My avatar won't be 100% true yet, though, as I think you have to vote in the primary first in Illinois?  Haha, I'll miss closed registration a little bit, not gonna lie, but caucuses ... ick, peace out.
Illiniwek
Governor Illiniwek
YaBB God

« Reply #917 on: June 13, 2019, 03:20:54 pm »

Officially got our apartment today, so we'll be real Illinoisans August 2nd.  My avatar won't be 100% true yet, though, as I think you have to vote in the primary first in Illinois?  Haha, I'll miss closed registration a little bit, not gonna lie, but caucuses ... ick, peace out.

Yaaaas good news! What city will you be living in?
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #918 on: June 13, 2019, 03:46:09 pm »

Officially got our apartment today, so we'll be real Illinoisans August 2nd.  My avatar won't be 100% true yet, though, as I think you have to vote in the primary first in Illinois?  Haha, I'll miss closed registration a little bit, not gonna lie, but caucuses ... ick, peace out.

Chicago!  On North Dearborn ... don't want to get too specific on the open Internet. Tongue
Santander
YaBB God
Taiwan

Political Matrix

« Reply #919 on: June 13, 2019, 03:51:52 pm »

Officially got our apartment today, so we'll be real Illinoisans August 2nd.  My avatar won't be 100% true yet, though, as I think you have to vote in the primary first in Illinois?  Haha, I'll miss closed registration a little bit, not gonna lie, but caucuses ... ick, peace out.

Chicago!  On North Dearborn ... don't want to get too specific on the open Internet. Tongue

You open yourself up to so much ridicule...
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #920 on: June 14, 2019, 10:58:59 am »

You open yourself up to so much ridicule...

Smiley
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #921 on: June 14, 2019, 11:09:20 am »

Congrats to Mr. RINO and Chairman Sanchez for appearing to break the Atlas barrier.
RINO Tom
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #922 on: June 14, 2019, 11:48:16 am »

Congrats to Mr. RINO and Chairman Sanchez for appearing to break the Atlas barrier.

You're a good dude, Cath.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #923 on: June 14, 2019, 12:07:31 pm »

You're a good dude, Cath.

Haha, thank you, Comrade. Just glad to see Atlas peeps doing well.
Cath
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #924 on: June 14, 2019, 01:08:09 pm »

Second wedding of the season today (not mine). Thank Gosh itís over after this until September.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 46 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length
Logout

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies