Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 10:00:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 149749 times)
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: October 26, 2018, 10:24:08 PM »

I managed to get absolutely nothing accomplished at work today and it was horrible. I hate trying to write code in R.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2018, 05:20:18 PM »

I will be tantalizingly close to visiting Kalawao County, but sadly the logistics won’t work out. An excuse to visit again, I suppose.

Dang! My dad was talking about going to Molokai to get that county when he and my mom went to Hawaii. They didn’t have the time either.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 03:57:40 AM »

Tried to see Gavin Newsom’s inauguration. Couldn’t get in without a ticket. Skulked around the capitol for an hour, saw Jerry Brown and shook hands with Nancy Pelosi. Saw the swearing in ceremony and part of Newsom’s speech on a TV in the capitol cafeteria. Free hot dogs outside thanks to one of the big labor unions!
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 04:33:11 AM »

Guess who's going to be inside Parliament during the biggest vote since 1940...

How was it?
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 12:17:00 PM »

Going to Kamala’s launch rally with some friends
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 06:08:42 PM »

Going to Kamala’s launch rally with some friends

Don't elites like you prefer "luncheon"?

TIL I’m an elite
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:29:47 PM »

Saw Beto in San Francisco today. Very, very animated haha
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2019, 01:30:18 PM »

My cousin-in-law passed away yesterday. I usually only saw him a few times a year around the holidays, but I always enjoyed talking to him, especially about politics. Going to my cousin’s house tomorrow to help him sort through some things.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 01:07:14 AM »

Had a pretty good week. Got Reddit silver for a silly joke, the Lib Dems led in a poll, had some good dinners (including my birthday dinner), and I found a silver dime (1948-S for the fellow collectors out there).

Going to look at cars again tomorrow. This time, the Honda Civic Hatch. Looked at the Honda Fit last week, but I don’t fit in its back seat (ironically), so it was off the list. The Kia Rio Hatch seemed kinda cheap, so it’s off the list too. The Toyota Corolla Hatch felt a bit cramped, but it gets good mileage and I might not be had the seat all the way down when I sat in one. The current front runner is the Subaru Impreza Hatch. Nice cargo room, didn’t feel cramped, and it’s AWD.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2019, 01:07:57 AM »

I’m moving to Lake Tahoe next month.

Nice! South or North shore? I haven’t been to Tahoe in years even though it’s only an hour and a half away.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2019, 11:52:33 AM »

Tailpipe fell off my car on the way home from work. Stopped by the neighborhood shop and test drive a $2K 2002 Jeep Liberty. Good enough, but the smoke smell is suffocating. Gonna stop by dealerships tomorrow. It’d be nice to have a car by my Friday shift. Tongue

I'm in the market for a used car too. Currently leaning towards a 2010 Chevy Impala that I test drove on Tuesday, but there's also a 2005 Subaru Impreza that's a possibility.

My vehicle’s been on borrowed time for years, and since I finally got a decent paying job I’ve been casually looking, but this has been a kick in the pants. Shopping ain’t as easy as it could be, since these days I’m asleep when the dealerships open. Been looking at Ford Rangers and a few Jeep types, preferably late 2000’s or newer (tho the Ranger is capped at 2011 of course).

Personally, I'd avoid a Jeep as they are one of the least reliable makes these days. I just got a new used car myself. Got an excellent rate of 2.69% on the 72 month loan I took out so I could keep my money invested.

My folks got a new ‘89 Cherokee and had it for almost 10 years. It was pretty good, though it did have some radiator issues. They replaced it with a ‘98 Grand Cherokee. That one blew its engine at 53,000 miles and was never the same even after it got a new engine.

They replaced the Grand Cherokee with an ‘01 Toyota Highlander. They gave me the Highlander about 6 years ago and I hit 300,000 miles on Monday. Mine’s AWD and only a 4 speed, but if you don’t need AWD and you can get one from 2003-2007 (5 speed automatic on the V6), I’d get that over the Liberty. I’d stay away from a 4 cylinder Highlander because they’re really underpowered.

I’m in the new car market myself. Looking at hatchbacks and leaning towards the Subaru Impreza.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2019, 03:17:59 PM »

Car crapped out yesterday. It’s misfiring on one of the cylinders. The folks at the car parts store who read the code said it could be any number of things. They mentioned it could be a clogged injector; might see about getting some cleaner. I don’t want to spend anymore than like $20 on it (other than gas) at this point. It hit 300,000 miles at the beginning of the month. I really only needed it to last a few more weeks; I’ve already been looking at cars, but it would’ve been nice to have a bit more time and not have to maybe get a rental car or something in the mean time.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 12:03:43 AM »

Car crapped out yesterday. It’s misfiring on one of the cylinders. The folks at the car parts store who read the code said it could be any number of things. They mentioned it could be a clogged injector; might see about getting some cleaner. I don’t want to spend anymore than like $20 on it (other than gas) at this point. It hit 300,000 miles at the beginning of the month. I really only needed it to last a few more weeks; I’ve already been looking at cars, but it would’ve been nice to have a bit more time and not have to maybe get a rental car or something in the mean time.
Took it in to fail smog. Now it’s misfiring on two of the six cylinders. Looking at retiring it through a CA state program.

And in better news, I got a new car today! It’s a Subaru Impreza Hatchback!
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2019, 01:17:01 PM »

Took it in to fail smog. Now it’s misfiring on two of the six cylinders. Looking at retiring it through a CA state program.

And in better news, I got a new car today! It’s a Subaru Impreza Hatchback!

My sister has that same car. Y'all can be lesbians together.

Well, we both do like women...
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2019, 06:02:35 AM »

CO alarm decided to let my family know it’s time to replace it. AT 3:50 IN THE MORNING
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2019, 10:17:50 PM »

Mom’s cousin from Crescent City is passing through on her way to see family near Fresno. Very fascinating to hear how they live. Lots of logging and fishing.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 02:21:10 PM »

Should I go to a Bernie rally on Sunday?

If you’ve never been to one, sure. Otherwise they’re basically the same speech. Might be some good people-watching opportunities though.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 12:09:09 PM »

Going to work on some election modeling this week/weekend. I have working example code, now I just need to figure out how to modify it for my own purposes. I’ll be using a Bayesian framework in JAGS. I have a bit of experience with that. The first real application will be a prediction of the Dem Primary in Nevada, by county/candidate.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 09:46:51 PM »

Got my t-shirt from the Kirsten Gillibrand campaign. Donated $1 for it. Only took almost a month and a half to get here.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 11:47:29 PM »

Watching Knives Out with my folks. Paused while my dad is getting ice cream for him and my mom. It’s good so far, though I’m not super fond of Daniel Craig with a southern accent.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 02:15:40 AM »

Watching Knives Out with my folks. Paused while my dad is getting ice cream for him and my mom. It’s good so far, though I’m not super fond of Daniel Craig with a southern accent.

Very solid movie. Great music. Still a bit iffy on Craig’s accent though. Probably a 91/100 (not that I’ve given other movies a score like that). To give it a better rating, it’s one that I would consider buying on disc.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2020, 12:17:59 PM »

I decided it was time to go back to my favorite user name: The Hunt for the Red October Surprise
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 03:32:56 PM »

I got a text link to a poll from PPP. I’ll be doing it this evening!
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 10:28:39 PM »

I got a text link to a poll from PPP. I’ll be doing it this evening!

Turned out to be a very local thing. I haven’t heard much (anything?) from the folks running for city council. I know that one of the people I voted for in 2018 is running again, but that’s about it. I’ll probably vote for him, just have to figure out who my second will be.
RFK Jr.’s Brain Worm
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2020, 05:13:39 PM »

I’m finding it very difficult to get anything done at work today. I’m the only one left in the office and I still have a few hours left. Big news day.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies