Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 08:45:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Author Topic: Update for Everyone VII: Insert Something Philosophical Sounding Here  (Read 147684 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 12, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »

Sorry to hear that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 08:19:09 PM »

I discovered a little less than a year ago that every birthday after 21 was simply part of a long, dismal, undistinguished march toward the grave. Indeed, I hadn't really felt I accomplished anything since March 2017.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 12:56:47 PM »

I’m glad to hear you’re starting this new chapter, Clarko! I’m sorry to hear you’re involved in politics though—hope you feel better soon! Sad
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »

Interesting weekend. On Saturday I ran into a former classmate of mine I always had a thing for at a coffee shop and she said we should “catch up”; may be worth my attention. This morning I went hiking with a friend at a state park and we found ourselves sharing the trail with a 5/10K. We made sure to grab pizza and coffee from the table after we crossed the finish line. Mass tonight focused on the canonization of Oscar Romero; though Romero was a Dominican(?), the Jesuits at my school are very involved in Latin American issues and pretty activist, so they have a great appreciation for him.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »

Interesting weekend. On Saturday I ran into a former classmate of mine I always had a thing for at a coffee shop and she said we should “catch up”; may be worth my attention. This morning I went hiking with a friend at a state park and we found ourselves sharing the trail with a 5/10K. We made sure to grab pizza and coffee from the table after we crossed the finish line. Mass tonight focused on the canonization of Oscar Romero; though Romero was a Dominican(?), the Jesuits at my school are very involved in Latin American issues and pretty activist, so they have a great appreciation for him.
Romero was diocesan, however, funnily enough he was a member of Opus Dei.

Ah. I vaguely remember the name of his order beginning with a "d", but couldn't remember what had been said; "Dominican" is the one I happen to hear more. 

You should ask her out for coffee.  You know both of you like it.  It’s a day time date so if she’s with a guy already it’s not awkward and it’s laid back and open ended.

Was considering coffee or a drink.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 05:19:20 PM »

Coffee first, then graduate to a drink

My only trepidation there is that I try to stick to depressants in the evening (though I try to avoid both depressants and stimulants during the week in general; a proto-date would be an acceptable exception), limiting me to the weekends, which is when I try to get things done. But fair enough point, I suppose.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 02:08:04 PM »

Just signed on to support the existence of a SFL (Students for Liberty) Student Group in our univeristy. They're a very small group and needed 30 people to sign so that the group can keep its official status. Though I certainly disagree with their very libertarian views, I decided to sign because of a pluralistic worldviews- I find it important to keep their voices in the conversation.

PG’s move to the right begins.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 03:22:39 PM »

Just signed on to support the existence of a SFL (Students for Liberty) Student Group in our univeristy. They're a very small group and needed 30 people to sign so that the group can keep its official status. Though I certainly disagree with their very libertarian views, I decided to sign because of a pluralistic worldviews- I find it important to keep their voices in the conversation.

PG’s move to the right begins.

Oh don't worry, one of them is a casual friend of mine and he already tried to indoctorinate me a year ago. I still have the "government, leave us alone!" with a pride flag sticker he gave me to try and woo me into supporting his cause Tongue

Good, good.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 07:38:31 PM »

Trick-or-treaters in my ‘hood are lame. This is what I get for living around a bunch of yuppies.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 08:49:21 AM »

Drinking away a mild case of feels that didn't work out

Yuge mistake.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 01:06:54 PM »

I screwed up an ArcGIS installation and since this type of thing requires an authorization number (which now has been used), I've a feeling my copy might now be completely useless.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 07:15:53 AM »

You aspiring left-wing radicals will be happy to know that turnout is insanely high in my heavily-Democratic neighborhood.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2018, 05:52:14 PM »

For the midterms, I am really glad that Michigan and Missouri legalized weed tho. Libertarianism is winning. Next stop will be legalizing every drug, and forcing those old ass people in the government the hell out of any legislating "moral" issues and preventing the government from making us taxpayers pay to keep useless drug addicts alive in prison, or using our tax dollars to help other irresponsible and weak people who don't deserve saving, as well as finally ending the Ponzi scheme that is Social Security.

Eventually, some big picture businessman will come to the conclusion that having a workforce saturated by drug abuse and addiction is--wait for it--bad for business and push for a "reform" movement to rid society of what he deems a menace. The drug issue will become especially acute when it even takes over bourgeois professions including engineers and analysts where some level of mental competence is required.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2018, 05:56:32 PM »

For the midterms, I am really glad that Michigan and Missouri legalized weed tho. Libertarianism is winning. Next stop will be legalizing every drug, and forcing those old ass people in the government the hell out of any legislating "moral" issues and preventing the government from making us taxpayers pay to keep useless drug addicts alive in prison, or using our tax dollars to help other irresponsible and weak people who don't deserve saving, as well as finally ending the Ponzi scheme that is Social Security.

Eventually, some big picture businessman will come to the conclusion that having a workforce saturated by drug abuse and addiction is--wait for it--bad for business and push for a "reform" movement to rid society of what he deems a menace. The drug issue will become especially acute when it even takes over bourgeois professions including engineers and analysts where some level of mental competence is required.

It won't though, because responsible people won't do that sh**t. I've never done hard drugs. The losers I was raised around did though. Why? Because they were weak and wanted to "escape" from the problems they themselves created and didn't want to dig themselves out of, and wanted to blame everyone else while for it.

I don't have sympathy for addicts.

Who cares about sympathy when you don't even have a workforce?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2018, 06:01:07 PM »

It won't though, because responsible people won't do that sh**t. I've never done hard drugs. The losers I was raised around did though. Why? Because they were weak and wanted to "escape" from the problems they themselves created and didn't want to dig themselves out of, and wanted to blame everyone else while for it.

I don't have sympathy for addicts.

Who cares about sympathy when you don't even have a workforce?

Would you do hard drugs just because they are legal? The reason I want to legalize them is because smart, reasonable, responsible people won't do them. Making them illegal just means we have to pay from our own money to keep the people who do them or sell them in prison instead of letting them die alone on the street like they would have anyway.

And how many of these folks do you think exist? Under the economic regime you aspire to, of course laborers and perhaps even the lower white collar professions would flee to substance abuse. You could get away with sky-high alcoholism in 1890's slums prior to the knowledge economy, but not now.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 06:42:16 PM »

What do you mean "economic regime" because I just think everyone should have to figure out how to make money in a free market capitalist society. I did it, it's not hard.

And if that results in lower wages, lower standards of living, less recreational or family time, more strained relationships, greater stress, etc., that will translate into higher levels of "harmless" deviance such as drug abuse and addiction.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I will agree that, at the personal level, everyone should be willing to take responsibility for themselves. I learned this firsthand as regards fitness, health, etc. That said, people need to be in a situation to take stock of their lives, which they are not always able to do. That doesn't change the fact that there are broad social forces that have some effect on most humans. Suicide, crime, abortion, addiction all have their correlates in the social and economic spheres. Now, why should you care about this if you don't care about another living soul? Crime affects your ability to protect your property, sell your house, walk the streets. Drug addiction affects your ability to field a workforce to design, make, and sell your products. While we can always beef up the police to build a wall between the productive and the unproductive, a cycle of over-enforcement helps to create a permanent class of the unsociable--the very group of people that, in most cases, will never be able to turn their lives around. Legalize most drugs, sure, but if you plan to use it as some Darwinian social engineering scheme, it will backfire; the legalization of truly heinous narcotics will require the reinforcement of our mental health and addiction infrastructures in a way you would never be willing to fund. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Hate is a drug too. I quit smoking. What of it?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 11:24:10 PM »

Looks like I got a date. Now to figure out a way to flub it.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2018, 02:43:52 PM »

Looks like I got a date. Now to figure out a way to flub it.

Talk about bigfoot, that oughta do it.
Or tell her that your voting for Trump because your brother’s on heroin. That did the trick for me once - Jesus what the hell was I thinking? Tongue

Well, until further communication, this is all academic—despite prior agreement. Tongue The twenty-first century really is the worst.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 09:25:35 AM »

Because that’s my MO given the last two.

Ghosted anyway at this point, do doesn’t matter.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 01:07:08 PM »

I'm working from home due to a snow storm... in November. Sometimes I hate Canada Tongue

We’ve gotten regular snow since Monday in Michigan.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 07:20:11 AM »

Where you going to, Sunrise?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 10:18:27 PM »

So yesterday I went out for dessert and got two pies, come home, see my mom was already making a pie to which I wasn't aware, and we were having people over, whom I told previously we had dessert covered, and they brought more pie. I now have 4 pies.

Here stands before you a woman who never thought she'd find herself saying this, but for once in my life, I have too much pie.

I’m fittingly enough in a similar boat. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 10:25:17 PM »

So yesterday I went out for dessert and got two pies, come home, see my mom was already making a pie to which I wasn't aware, and we were having people over, whom I told previously we had dessert covered, and they brought more pie. I now have 4 pies.

Here stands before you a woman who never thought she'd find herself saying this, but for once in my life, I have too much pie.

I’m fittingly enough in a similar boat. Tongue

Oh pish-posh, if it's pumpkin, you got breakfast for a week or two!

Thing is moisture accumulates on that stuff easily. I’m not well positioned to keep it. Love pumpkin, though. I’m at the age where I buy it for myself during the fall.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2018, 07:42:28 PM »

Getting more hours at my job, starting next week!

Sorry to hear that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2018, 03:15:03 PM »

So, had a pretty decent first date last Sunday with a girl who’s getting her degree in bass performance. Overall pretty positive experience. Supposed to meet up this coming weekend. Trying not to spend this entire week freaking out. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies