Opinion of banned posters: twenty42
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:24:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of banned posters: twenty42
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Opinion of banned posters: twenty42
Freedom Fighter

Horrible Person

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Opinion of banned posters: twenty42  (Read 2341 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2018, 04:59:59 PM »

Incredibly dull hack.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 05:09:29 PM »

Anti-Bothsidesism
Somenamelessfool
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 06:59:14 PM »

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:23:34 PM »

He's banned? Hurray! I say hurray because he was an
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 08:43:02 PM »

How is it that someone such as twenty42 could be banned but not equally objectionable posters such as ProudModerate2? There definitely seems to be a strong left-leaning bias in terms of who is cast out here.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »

I'm surprised, but I shed no tears over this.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »

How is it that someone such as twenty42 could be banned but not equally objectionable posters such as ProudModerate2? There definitely seems to be a strong left-leaning bias in terms of who is cast out here.

No, this was a cut-and-dry case of breaking a major rule. twenty42 made a sock to troll, and this was on top of a history of very hostile outbursts that include highly offensive PMs and threads made to harass other users. Note that those previous outbursts led to various punishments (iirc) but not temp bans. PM2's situation is subjective and imo, not really as serious. We've actually reached out to Dave to please come and help us clarify some things regarding personal attacks, given that it's his forums and he has not given us free reign, but he continues to be hard to reach. You're free to contact him as well to have him weigh in Smile

It's disappointing that you didn't even really try to understand the situation first, and also annoying that you seem to be obsessed with PM2 that his potential rule infractions weight above all else. That seems like pretty obvious bias if you ask me.

Also, I'd say if there was some bias against conservatives here, users like publicunofficial, TexArkana and evergreen would not have been banned. I think what's going on here is that you just can't wrap your ahead around why this one user isn't getting banned, that you're drawing completely baseless conclusions without even really thinking about it. And I say this regularly when this comes up, but I'll say it again, the top Modadmin who has final say on bans is a Republican.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 09:07:37 PM »

Was a terrible quality poster
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 09:09:50 PM »

No, this was a cut-and-dry case of breaking a major rule. twenty42 made a sock to troll, and this was on top of a history of very hostile outbursts that include highly offensive PMs and threads made to harass other users. Note that those previous outbursts led to various punishments (iirc) but not temp bans. PM2's situation is subjective and imo, not really as serious. We've actually reached out to Dave to please come and help us clarify some things regarding personal attacks, given that it's his forums and he has not given us free reign, but he continues to be hard to reach. You're free to contact him as well to have him weigh in Smile

It's disappointing that you didn't even really try to understand the situation first, and also annoying that you seem to be obsessed with PM2 that his potential rule infractions weight above all else. That seems like pretty obvious bias if you ask me.

Also, I'd say if there was some bias against conservatives here, users like publicunofficial, TexArkana and evergreen would not have been banned. I think what's going on here is that you just can't wrap your ahead around why this one user isn't getting banned, that you're drawing completely baseless conclusions without even really thinking about it. And I say this regularly when this comes up, but I'll say it again, the top Modadmin who has final say on bans is a Republican.

What was the sock?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 09:21:13 PM »

FolesGirl99999

Not sure what all the posts he made were though, as all but 1 have since been deleted.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »

He should have been permabanned the night he went on his offensive diatribe about TexasGurl, but I'm guessing TG and the mods were too gracious and gave him another chance.  Of course,  being who he was he was gong to torch it one way or the other.  Good riddance.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 10:27:52 PM »

Couldn’t have been good since they were on my ignore list.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 10:32:18 PM »

He should have been permabanned the night he went on his offensive diatribe about TexasGurl, but I'm guessing TG and the mods were too gracious and gave him another chance.  Of course,  being who he was he was gong to torch it one way or the other.  Good riddance.
Ya I let it pass the first time, I may be ugly and old, but calling me unf%$*able was petty.  Cheesy
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 10:55:17 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2018, 12:27:21 PM by Calthrina950 »

I understand the reasons for why twenty42 was banned, and I do agree that he was unduly harsh with other users here. At the same time, however, it doesn't seem that his attitude didn't come from anywhere, given the way in which he was treated by other users on this forum, primarily on account of his political views.

ProudModerate2 and several other users who have been permitted to remain on here have engaged in as bad, and I would argue worse, behaviors than twenty42. There is an uneven approach to moderation on this board. While I would not want this website to go to the level of AlternateHistory.com, which bans or punishes anyone who slightly deviates from the ideological majority there (i.e. liberalism), I also think that allowing flame wars and personal attacks to escalate, as they have many times, isn't the best way to go.

SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 11:27:55 PM »

literally who?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 08:45:50 AM »

At times a bit tedious, but overall a FF.
Atlas Force
mlee117379
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 11:52:52 AM »

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 12:18:22 PM »

I understand the reasons for why twenty42 was banned, and I do agree that he was unduly harsh with other users here. At the same time, however, it doesn't seen that his attitude didn't come from anywhere, given the way in which he was treated by other users on this forum, primarily on account of his political views.

ProudModerate2 and several other users who have been permitted to remain on here have engaged in as bad, and I would argue worse, behaviors than twenty42. There is an uneven approach to moderation on this board. While I would not want this website to go to the level of AlternateHistory.com, which bans or punishes anyone who slightly deviates from the ideological majority there (i.e. liberalism), I also think that allowing flame wars and personal attacks to escalate, as they have many times, isn't the best way to go.

You just described why moderation must appear uneven at times. There are multiple mods and all are seeking the balance you describe. It's a balance to avoid ideological conformity, yet to limit the disruptive impact of flame wars. There's no bright line much of the time, and that fuzzy boundary can appear capricious. In my experience it rarely is.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 12:34:31 PM »

I understand the reasons for why twenty42 was banned, and I do agree that he was unduly harsh with other users here. At the same time, however, it doesn't seen that his attitude didn't come from anywhere, given the way in which he was treated by other users on this forum, primarily on account of his political views.

You just described why moderation must appear uneven at times. There are multiple mods and all are seeking the balance you describe. It's a balance to avoid ideological conformity, yet to limit the disruptive impact of flame wars. There's no bright line much of the time, and that fuzzy boundary can appear capricious. In my experience it rarely is.

It is probably a good thing overall that we are having this discussion, for this indicates that there are people here who think seriously about these issues and wish to address them. Given that this is a forum with people of many diverse backgrounds and ideological viewpoints, it can be difficult to try to address the problems that are created in a relatively even-handed manner.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 04:14:32 PM »

Bye Felicia!
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2018, 04:51:08 PM »

Annoying hack with a victim complex. A lot like Trump, actually.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2018, 05:06:25 PM »

This is TEA

I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 09:41:40 AM »

EXTREME FF. A  true hero who defied the echo chamber, and a role model who every right-winger on this board should aspire to be. I'm sad to see him go.

RIP
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »

EXTREME FF. A  true hero who defied the echo chamber, and a role model who every right-winger on this board should aspire to be. I'm sad to see him go.

RIP
The Atlas of Evil (fhgtagn, Mr. R, Santander, and myself) are still here at least Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies