Poll: If Beto loses Senate race- does he enter the Pres Primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:12:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Poll: If Beto loses Senate race- does he enter the Pres Primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: If Beto doesn't win his Senate race, does he enter the 2020 Pres Primary?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Poll: If Beto loses Senate race- does he enter the Pres Primary?  (Read 3607 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2018, 07:19:49 AM »
« edited: October 26, 2018, 10:07:12 PM by SCNCmod »

Beto is clearly the Democrat with the most Buzz & the biggest fundraising ability in the Country right now.  So if he loses the Senate election... does he turn that popularity and financial warchest towards the Presidential race?  

(also- in addition to his fund-raising ability- his net worth is around $10 Million... so its not like he urgently needs to get back to the private sector to make money).  And his prospects for public office in Texas would be limited to waiting for 2 years to run for his old house seat... which is unlikely appealing to him at this point.

Ordinarily such a jump would seem rather crazy- but considering he has far more political experience than Trump did... maybe not so crazy.  And even if he didn't get the nomination (which I actually think he would have a good shot at)- a number 2 finish would set him up as a VP favorite).

(EDIT...ADD-ON..QUESTION 2) If you were Beto, would you enter the 2020 Presidential Primary if you lost the Senate race?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 08:49:55 AM »

Beto is clearly the Democrat with the most Buzz & the biggest fundraising ability in the Country right now.  So if he loses the Senate election... does he turn that popularity and financial warchest towards the Presidential race? 

(also- in addition to his fund-raising ability- his net worth is around $10 Million... so its not like he urgently needs to get back to the private sector to make money).  And his prospects for public office in Texas would be limited to waiting for 2 years to run for his old house seat... which is unlikely appealing to him at this point.

Ordinarily such a jump would seem rather crazy- but considering he has far more political experience than Trump did... maybe not so crazy.  And even if he didn't get the nomination (which I actually think he would have a good shot at)- a number 2 finish would set him up as a VP favorite).
Doubt it. A loss in a senate race isn't really a great platform to run on. "Oh, the guy who ran up record contributions and STILL lost...".
SCNCmod

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 09:24:25 AM »

Beto is clearly the Democrat with the most Buzz & the biggest fundraising ability in the Country right now.  So if he loses the Senate election... does he turn that popularity and financial warchest towards the Presidential race? 

(also- in addition to his fund-raising ability- his net worth is around $10 Million... so its not like he urgently needs to get back to the private sector to make money).  And his prospects for public office in Texas would be limited to waiting for 2 years to run for his old house seat... which is unlikely appealing to him at this point.

Ordinarily such a jump would seem rather crazy- but considering he has far more political experience than Trump did... maybe not so crazy.  And even if he didn't get the nomination (which I actually think he would have a good shot at)- a number 2 finish would set him up as a VP favorite).
Doubt it. A loss in a senate race isn't really a great platform to run on. "Oh, the guy who ran up record contributions and STILL lost...".

But if he makes the race closer than anyone even thought possible & he's the one candidate in 2018 with the biggest national buzz & is getting presidential level financial contributions... Then the fact that a Progressive Dem barely lost in a solid Red state- would not be looked at as disqualifying.
Spiffy
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:20:28 AM »

Might make for a good VP candidate if Sherrod Brown is unavailable.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2018, 10:48:55 AM »

But if he makes the race closer than anyone even thought possible & he's the one candidate in 2018 with the biggest national buzz & is getting presidential level financial contributions... Then the fact that a Progressive Dem barely lost in a solid Red state- would not be looked at as disqualifying.
But Trump only won Texas by 9 points and Dems are about 8 points ahead in generic polling, so even a super close loss wouldn't necessarily be THAT impressive.
Jburns
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.77, S: -7.13

P P P
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 01:54:04 PM »

It's entirely possible
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 03:14:20 PM »

Someone begs to differ.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 07:43:32 PM »

No. Poor Beto will be relegated to obscurity.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 07:44:14 PM »

Him and Kander, right guys?
SCNCmod

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:28:27 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2018, 10:36:25 PM by SCNCmod »

I have never once understood the Kander hype... noone would be able to find 1 post of mine that said anything remotely upbeat about Kander.. In fact he usually pops up in my comments to "most overrated" threads. (The only thing Kander had... is the 1 thing Beto lacks... a good TV Ad!)

Beto is clearly in a different category than Kander, both in political talent, fundraising ability, and political buzz.  
SCNCmod

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 10:30:47 PM »

Beto would sort of fit the trend of Trudeau & Macron (both of them were relatively newcomers ... didn't have long big-time resumes of publicly elected positions)...  and they've turned out to be 2 of the more influential world leaders currently.
Grassroots
Grassr00ts
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 2.09

P P P
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 11:23:23 PM »

Nah, he should wait for a dem win in 2020 and get a cabinet appointment.
SCNCmod

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 02:42:12 AM »

Cabinet Appointment doesn't seem to get texans very far... ie Castro.
yakutia
boatfullogoats
Rookie
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 1.16, S: -2.78

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 02:20:48 PM »

*When he loses the senate election
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 03:42:16 PM »

Cabinet Appointment doesn't seem to get texans very far... ie Castro.

HHS isn’t a big deal relatively speaking and if I recall, mayor of San Antonio is mostly a figurehead position. Joaquin is more of a heavyweight than Julian, I think.

John Delaney is a three term representative. I think Beto would have a shot. He has name recognition that Delaney doesn’t have. Assuming Beto loses in 2018, I think it would be silly for him not to try for 2020.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 04:17:32 PM »

Sure, he can pretend he's the Democratic Lincoln.
Pandaguineapig
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 07:06:04 PM »

I doubt it, he'll probably go the Wendy Davis route and cash in on media deals, if he wants to run for office again he may run for his old seat or carpetbag to another state for a Senate run
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 09:32:16 PM »

Having money left over from a losing Senate campaign is not a great look. It raises the question of whether he would have won if he spent everything, even if the answer is probably not.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 11:31:31 PM »

No, but he could and should use it run against Cornyn in 2020.
SCNCmod

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 06:12:19 AM »

Beto is a good example of being able to deliver liberal policy points... but in a moderate tone that doesn't immediately turn off moderate Republicans and independents. (video clip from last night's Texas debate)
foxh8er
Rookie
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 08:26:26 AM »

I think he should do it. The problem is he's got a Y chromosome.

He would be a fantastic VP candidate though.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 10:17:46 AM »

I think he should. “He lost the senate race” is an argument, not a disqualifier. He’s got a charisma that would excite people and bring young voters out. He’s got a way of garnering media attention that would put him in top tier. He generally defies being pegged as in one Dem wing or the other better than Sanders or Warren, he comes across as way more populist than Harris or Booker. I think I’d prefer him over 3 of them, still listening to Harris.

What’s the worst that could happen? I’d think losing the Dem Primary would be less political-career ending than losing a second Senate bid (against Cornyn).
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 10:27:23 AM »

No.  And I don't think he'll win either.  2020 is always an opportunity.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »

I’ll add, if Beto can peel off younger voters from the Sanders “coalition” and keep him from getting the nomination or enough delegates to call shots over the ticket/convention, it would be worth it. Still pissed we’re giving so much attention to a man who can’t be bothered to call himself a Democrat except when it benefits him personally.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 11:26:46 AM »

What’s the worst that could happen? I’d think losing the Dem Primary would be less political-career ending than losing a second Senate bid (against Cornyn).

Yeah, losing against Cornyn would look bad. The environment might be more favorable, but Cornyn isn’t hated like Lyin’ Ted is.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies