Should there be a special election if both the President & VP can not serve?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:10:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Should there be a special election if both the President & VP can not serve?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Should there be a special election if both the President & VP can not serve?  (Read 915 times)
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2018, 02:22:33 PM »

I've always thought this - there should be a special election if both the President and Vice President can't fulfill their duties due to death, incapacitation, or impeachment.

Obviously a line of succession should occur, with the Secretary of State becoming President, and working down from there in the cabinet like now, but I think a special election for President ASAP would be important given how all directly elected leaders aren't available.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 04:17:44 PM »

This scenario is rather unlikely to happen without rather serious foul play.

So, I would say that the current line of succession, modified to include the rest of Congress, before including the cabinet, would be appropriate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 05:28:30 PM »

While not current law, that was at one time part of the procedure if a double vacancy were to happen. For example, if as planned Hamlin been assassinated as well Lincoln, there would have been an election held in the Fall of 1865 to select electors to elect a President and Vice President to a full four year term beginning March 4, 1866 and Presidential elections would have then gotten out of sync with the Congressional ones.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2018, 10:50:59 PM »

While not current law, that was at one time part of the procedure if a double vacancy were to happen. For example, if as planned Hamlin been assassinated as well Lincoln, there would have been an election held in the Fall of 1865 to select electors to elect a President and Vice President to a full four year term beginning March 4, 1866 and Presidential elections would have then gotten out of sync with the Congressional ones.

I assume you mean Johnson.

Nah. I'm a Southerner. Let a Maine boy get killed instead of a Tennessee one. 😸
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 05:17:29 PM »

I assume you mean Johnson.

Nah. I'm a Southerner. Let a Maine boy get killed instead of a Tennessee one. 😸
Sad
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies