A Different Republican Icon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:43:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 67910 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2019, 01:52:14 AM »

Hope we see a good trade agreement here. Also glad to see that the Vietcong are beaten back. Maybe Goldwater can get a two state solution here similar to Korea? If so, I'd give him him credit despite opposing his domestic agenda.

You probably also would be a fan of his Foreign Policy Team:

Sec of State Nixon
Sec of Def Connally
National Security Advisor Laird
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2019, 02:29:00 AM »

Potential Presidential Candidate George Wallace slams Goldwater Adminstration in interview as adminstration for Western Rich Elitists

Wallace: People have talked about for many years especially the past 2 , of the trend of the South towards the Republican party and credit that to the President and in my opinion of that is that is completely false. The fact is there is no functional difference between the Goldwater Administration than a Rockefeller Administration other than the fact that Goldwater is for the Western Elites instead of the Eastern one and Goldwater pretends to be for the average guy despite being an even bigger suckup for the elites.

The trend in the South has more to do with the Democratic party deciding to be the party of Big Government Liberal Elitists instead of the party of the working man in the south. If I run I can guarantee you we will sweep the entire south including Texas, Florida and Virginia. Goldwater and his elitist cronies will be proven to be nothing but frauds and he will be afraid of me .

California Governor Reagan slams Wallace, and calls him nothing but an irrelevant divisive phony

Reagan: The President over the past two years has delivered on his central promise of reducing the power of the Federal Government and returning it to the states and the people. The fact is Alabama Governor George Wallace calls himself the true man of the people and the fact of the matter is the facts do not support that claim. Wallace in his career has been nothing but an irrelevant divisive phony who is actually in support of big government but he just wants to use it to exploit racial tensions just so he can increase his own power. The fact is the true man of the people is President Goldwater who returned the people's money back to the people who worked so hard to earn that money , and now can spend the money the way they like it instead of letting politicians take that money and spend it the way they like. Goldwater has also actually stood up for the 10th amendment by giving the States more control over government programs and lets them how they want to spend the money to help their people , and reduce the burden of regulation.

Facts are stubborn things Mr.Wallace and the facts are the true man of the people is President Goldwater

President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2019, 09:39:19 AM »

Sanford '72!
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2019, 11:42:00 AM »

Goldwater '72, Nixon '76, Nixon '80, Ford '84, Ford '88, Gore '92, Gore '96, Liz Dole 2000, Liz Dole 2004, Warner 2008, Warner 2012, Paul 2016

Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »

For once I agree with the Gipper.

Hope we see a good trade agreement here. Also glad to see that the Vietcong are beaten back. Maybe Goldwater can get a two state solution here similar to Korea? If so, I'd give him him credit despite opposing his domestic agenda.

You probably also would be a fan of his Foreign Policy Team:

Sec of State Nixon
Sec of Def Connally
National Security Advisor Laird

Yes, especially Dick. That's why he is in that position in my TL as well Tongue
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2019, 07:07:38 PM »

Why Sanford over McCarthy

Goldwater '72, Nixon '76, Nixon '80, Ford '84, Ford '88, Gore '92, Gore '96, Liz Dole 2000, Liz Dole 2004, Warner 2008, Warner 2012, Paul 2016

Tongue

In this TL the Reagan never teamed up with Rockefeller in an attempt to derail Nixon. Would that make you more inclined to support him or not that much
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2019, 07:17:28 PM »

NC represent + electability. I like McCarthy too, but Sanford won't have as hard a time winning.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #132 on: January 08, 2019, 07:40:49 PM »
« Edited: April 02, 2019, 08:05:54 PM by Old School Republican »

Breaking News: US Air Force launches largest bombing campaign of war against North Vietnamese

Connally: Thank You for coming here at such short notice. As you may know that for many years now the war seemingly has had no end in sight but now I believe we have finally reached a moment where we can bring a end to this war.  Over the past few weeks the President told the North Vietnamese that the US would be willing to negotiate with them to end the war, with the exception of the demands the President listed out but unfortunately the North Vietnamese decided to continue this war.

So for that reason we decided today to launch Operation Linebacker, an operation which will be a "maximum effort" bombing to destroy major targets and complexes in Hanoi and Haiphong and in other areas. Before I open it up to you for a couple of questions, I want to offer my prayers to the members of the Air Force who will take part of this operation .

Media Member 1: Wouldnt launching such an operation only antagonize the North Vietnamese even more which could lengthen the war.

Connally: I dont believe it would lengthen the war , as the fact is this war was initiated by the North and the fact is they will only agree to end it when they realize they have no hope of winning the war. While we have significantly slowed down their ability to resupply the Vietcong, totally hampered their ability to launch another offensive they still believe they can hold out and regroup. We cant let that happen so we are launching this operation to cripple their ability to do that as well. If this operation succeeds I believe this war could be brought to an end within a few months.

Media Member 2: Many Hawks believe US forces should have invaded the North , why didnt you

Connally: The generals on the ground did not believe that was the right course to take and why they decided that is something I am not at liberty to mention.One more question

Media Member 3: If the North Vietnamese said they were willing to negotiate would you stopping this operation

Connally: It is not something I can answer right now but what I can say is we wouldnt stop this operation until we were certain that they are genuine.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #133 on: January 08, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »

Tongue

In this TL the Reagan never teamed up with Rockefeller in an attempt to derail Nixon. Would that make you more inclined to support him or not that much

No, he's still a person who went to far right and pretended to use the narrative of the party left him to win over Democrats. I prefer Moderates to former Democrats who went too far to the right.

EDIT : and yes, that means that I would rather vote for a communist than him, even if I know both are bad
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #134 on: January 08, 2019, 07:50:46 PM »

Tongue

No, he's still a person who went to far right and pretended to use the narrative of the party left him to win over Democrats. I prefer Moderates to former Democrats who went too far to the right.

EDIT : and yes, that means that I would rather vote for a communist than him, even if I know both are bad

I would say Reagan's change to become a Conservative was genuine though. While he officially switched in 1962, he had basically become a Republican by 1952 and supported IKE twice and Nixon in 1960. He also was more pragmatic when he actually governed than when he campaigned .

YaBB God
United States

« Reply #135 on: January 08, 2019, 07:59:38 PM »

Tongue

I would say Reagan's change to become a Conservative was genuine though. While he officially switched in 1962, he had basically become a Republican by 1952 and supported IKE twice and Nixon in 1960. He also was more pragmatic when he actually governed than when he campaigned .

I still don't care. Being pragmatic will not earn my support. Being a Hard Core Conservative will not earn my support. Iran-Contra is just one of the many things I dislike Reagan over, but it's a big reason, not to mention calling Dukakis an invalid in 1988 (I don't like Dukakis, but that was too harsh and borderline slander. In order to earn my support, you have to prove you're a moderate through governance (like Ford) or be incredibly humble and Libertarian in your approaches (like Goldwater) which is why I support Goldwater and Ford over Reagan any day of the week.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #136 on: January 08, 2019, 08:27:52 PM »

Tongue

I still don't care. Being pragmatic will not earn my support. Being a Hard Core Conservative will not earn my support. Iran-Contra is just one of the many things I dislike Reagan over, but it's a big reason, not to mention calling Dukakis an invalid in 1988 (I don't like Dukakis, but that was too harsh and borderline slander. In order to earn my support, you have to prove you're a moderate through governance (like Ford) or be incredibly humble and Libertarian in your approaches (like Goldwater) which is why I support Goldwater and Ford over Reagan any day of the week.

Thats fair enough, and I hope you enjoy the rest of this TL
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2019, 02:12:03 AM »

Anti War Liberal Firebrand Eugene McCarthy Declares Presidential Bid:

McCarthy: Thank You , Thank You.  For many years we have heard the Goldwater and Johnson administrations justify escalating the war in Vietnam by saying that's what we need to do to end it. The fact is they have been proven wrong because all it has done is made the situation worse for 7 years and the fact is it is time to actaully have a policy that ends the war and thats why I have decided to run for President(Applause). I pledge to you that if you elect me President I will end this war by withdrawing all our troops from Vietnam in exchange for the release of our POW's(Applause). Then I will use the money we spend on this war to expand the war on poverty by ending hunger and passing universal healthcare coverage(Applause).

Now the Establishment say that I am unelectable and have no chance of winning. Funny they say that when the party nominated an establishment candidate last time and lost to a candidate who was considered a fringe far right candidate. The reason they lost is they failed to energize the anti war base of the party and because of that our nation has moved hard to the right over the past 3 years and unless we nominate a real anti war candidate we will continue to move to the right for the foreseeable future. So this fight wont be an easy but I know we can win , end this war and reverse the right wing trend of the Goldwater Years(Applause). Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Liberal Wing of Republican Party scrambling to look for potential primary challengers after Rockefeller, Scranton and Javits rule out Bids

Brinkley: Earlier today 3 of the most prominent liberal Republicans : Governor Rockefeller, Governor Scranton and Senator Javits all ruled out Presidential Bids which has left the liberal wing of party in disarray as they are now scrambling to find potential primary challengers to the President. One of the reasons we believe they didnt run is Rockefeller, people say that he plans to run in 1976 and running this year would only ruin those chance. Javits is planning on running for reelection in 1974 and a presidential run this year could result in Conservatives gathering the momentum to primary him in 1974 and Scranton we are told is just no interested in running for President Period.

Now we believe Liberals are still trying to run a primary challenge to President Rockefeller and we believe that the top 3 contenders to make that challenge will be Senator Charles Mathias , Congressman Pete McCloskey and Congressman John Anderson. Now even though one of those 3 individuals is expected to run , the President is expected to easily sweep through the primaries with 85% plus of the vote.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:48 PM »

Breaking News: US-Canadian Free Trade Agreement becomes Law after Both Houses of Congress Approves it

Goldwater: Thank You, Thank You. Today is the great day for the people of our Nation and the people of Canada(Applause). This trade agreement will help both our nations economically because more trade means more competition and more competition leads to either quality of products increasing or price of product decreasing and both things would result in an increase of demand which will help our economy. It will also help improve the relations between our nations as better economic ties lead to better ties in general. Now I will go sign this agreement into law

Goldwater signs agreement

House Vote: 313-125
Senate Vote: 77-23

Polls show majority support Agreement but skeptical about doing similar one with other nations:

Do you support the US-Canadian Free Trade Agreement:

Yes: 56%
No: 29%
Undecided: 15%

Would you support a similar trade agreement with other Nations:

Yes: 39%
No: 39%
Dont Know: 22%

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #139 on: January 11, 2019, 02:43:53 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2019, 02:49:01 AM by Old School Republican »

Congress Passes Constitutional Amendment Lowering Voting Age to 18.

Brinkley: Earlier today, Congress passed a constitutional amendment which will lower the voting age from 21 to 18. If 38 states ratify this proposed amendment, this proposed amendment will officially become the 26th amendment of the constitution.

Fourth Consecutive Strong Jobs Report suggest the economy has bounced back from recession

Chancellor: Today morning the February Jobs was released and showed great news as over 230,000 jobs were created in the month, and overall is the fourth consecutive job report showing over 175,000 jobs created during a month. Economists are now concluding that the recession ended in either September or October of Last year.

Treasury Secretary Friedman released a statement saying these numbers show that the economic policies we have put in place are working.

Goldwater signs Budget which cuts spending by 7 billion dollars over the upcoming year:

Brinkley: The President today signed a budget which cuts the overall budget from 199 billion dollars down to 192 billion dollars this year. The President originally wanted a cut far larger than this but was able to get this compromise passed by striking a deal with Moderate House Democrats that the cuts would be across the board and the overall cut would be reduced. It is still a victory for the President as this cut amounts to a 3.52% cut in the Budget and while the President wanted a larger cut its clear this is the best anyone could hope for with the Democrats controlling the House.

Chancellor: I agree and while Conservative Republicans may be disappointed at the size of the cut , remember the budget neither originates with the President or even the Senate, but in the House which the Democrats control. Now while overall Republicans can put together a working majority in the house with Conservative Democrats, they have to make some compromises to do so .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2019, 08:37:11 PM »
« Edited: April 06, 2019, 01:52:14 AM by Old School Republican »

House Overwhelmingly  Passes Two Pieces of Major Enviormental Legislation

Brinkley: President Goldwater has nominated Oregon Secretary of State Bob Packwood to head the EPA. This pick has gotten praise across the board as he is liked by both Conservatives and Liberals .
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2019, 09:43:03 PM »

Note: Packwood later did get revealed to be a huge HP, but without hindsight we dont know that and he was considered to be one of the Pro Environment Conservatives in the Senate as well and that makes him someone Goldwater would select
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »

Senate overwhelmingly confirms Oregon Secretary of State Bob Packwood to become the 1st Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency.

Senate Vote: 93-2

Portland will Host 1972 Republican National Convention 

Brinkley:  It's official now, the 1972 Republican Convention will take place in the beautiful Portland, Oregon and will take place from August 21st to August 24th of that year. The venue in which the convention will take place in the Memorial Coliseum which is the home of Portland's Pro Basketball team, the Portland Trail Blazers. 

Pittsburgh will Host 1972 Democratic National Convention:

Brinkley: The Democrats have also chosen where their convention will be hosted and it will be hosted in the Steel City Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The date of the convention will be July 10th- July 13th of that year and will take place in Civic Arena which is the home of Pittsburgh's Pro Hockey team the Pittsburgh Penguins.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #143 on: January 13, 2019, 04:09:27 AM »
« Edited: January 13, 2019, 04:21:32 AM by Old School Republican »

Peace Delegations from the US , South Vietnam and North Vietnam meet for first time in 2 and a half years in Paris to discuss a potential treaty to end the war

[/td][td][/td][/tr][/table]

Chancellor: New Senator Jack Kemp met with President Goldwater to discuss regulatory reform. The two main area of disagreements for both of them is how they should pass reform, as the President believes it should be by creating a committee of people which would represent the executive branch, legislative branch, and states approve or deny the implementation of a proposed regulation while Senator's Kemp belief is a cost-benefit analysis based system

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #144 on: January 15, 2019, 03:54:14 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2019, 02:46:32 AM by Old School Republican »

Senator Jack Kemp and California Senator George Deukmejian introduces Regulatory Reform Bill which would require any regulation proposed by the executive branch to do prove the benefits are greater than the cost before it is implemented  

Chancellor: New York Senator Jack Kemp and California Senator George Deukmejian have introduced a bill which would require any regulation proposed by the executive branch to do prove the benefits are greater than the cost before it is implemented. They both claim this would create a better checks and balances system and would make sure that unnecessary regulations could be stopped from being implemented. The President announced today that he would be endorsing their bill.

New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller comes out against Regulatory Reform Bill:

Brinkley: Former Republican Presidential Nominee and New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller came out today against the regulatory reform bill. He claimed it would limit the ability of the executive branch of taking the necessary actions nedded to adress issues facing the nation. The Governor said he believed the solution to the problem was to appoint competent people to head the regulatory agencies, not to reduce their ability to take necessary steps.

President Goldwater heads to Paris for Peace Talks :

Brinkley: With a deal to end the war seemingly coming closer and closer to reality the President has officially left Washington and is headed to Paris in what seems to be the final steps of negotiations
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2019, 08:00:59 PM »
« Edited: April 09, 2019, 03:53:46 PM by Old School Republican »

Breaking News:  Agreement to end war in Vietnam Reached

Reynolds: It is my pleasure to have the chance to interview Mr.President

Goldwater: Pleasure is all mine Frank

Reynolds: So how does it feel to know that the war is finally over

Goldwater: Feels great Frank, the fact is we can finally bring our soldiers home from Vietnam after nearly 7 years is great.

Reynolds: The first question people may ask is what provisions in the agreement where put so the peace is long lasting

Goldwater: The provision we put in the agreement to make sure the peace agreement is long lasting is making sure all the offensive divisions in the North Vietnamese Military were permanently disbanded . This makes sure the North Vietnamese dont have the ability to invade the South again and due to that I believe this peace will be long lasting

Reynolds: Of Couse, there will still be some issues between the nations , how will they get resolved

Goldwater: I dont know how they will get resolved yet, but what I do know is they will be solved through diplomatic means instead of war.

Reynolds: Does US forces still have work to do in Vietnam until 1973

Goldwater: We will work on directly training the South Vietnamese troops with our combat troops until then as well as clearing out the last pockets of the Viet Cong. Now that they dont have north Vietnamese support , this becomes more of an law and order issue but it is critical that Law and Order is maintained in the South for them to be more and more successful in the future.

Reynolds: Final Question and I know you dont want to be asked this right now but do you think the Regulatory Reform Bill will pass

Goldwater(Laughs): Yah I dont want to discuss that right now but I am confident it will pass.

Renyolds: Thank You for coming on

Goldwater: Pleasures mine

Goldwater's Approvals Skyrocket

President Goldwater Approval's:
Approve: 73%(+17%)
Disapprove: 25%(-16%)
Undecided: 2%(-1%)

Do You Approve of Goldwater's handling of Domestic Affairs:

Approve: 54%
Disspprove: 44%
Undecided: 2%

Do You Approve of Goldwater's handling  of Foreign Affairs:

Approve: 90%(+32%)
Disapprove: 9%(-31%)
Undecided: 1%(-1%)

Chancellor: These numbers are the Highest of Goldwater's Presidency by far and it is obvious its related to the news of the War in Vietnam Ending. I also dont believe he will maintain these approvals as once the rally around the flag affect fades his approval will also drop.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »

A 49 state Goldwater sweep?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2019, 05:18:52 PM »

Depends on who the Democrats nominate and the state of the nation in the Fall of 1972.
His approvals right now are more due to a rally around the flag affect and likely will be lower by Election Day .

Who would you support for the nomination : Sanford , Humphrey , or someone else
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #148 on: January 17, 2019, 02:10:17 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2019, 02:37:05 AM by Old School Republican »

Breaking News: Proposed Amendment to lower voting age to 18 officially becomes the 26th amendment to the constitution

Brinkley: The proposed 26th amendment to the constitution which lowers the voting age to 18 has been officially ratified as the state of North Carolina became the 38th state to vote to ratify it. This means beginning in the 1972 election millions Americans between the age 18-21 will be able to vote and depending on what the overall result is, that could make a big difference.

Washington Senator Henry Jackson announces Presidential Run:

Jackson: Thank You, Thank You. For the past 7 years our nation faced many struggles and setbacks when fighting the war in Vietnam but like I always we knew no matter how tough the challenge was we would be successful and we were(Applause). We must also remember though this war while important was only one battle in the Cold War and to win this struggle we must continue to stop the growth of communism no matter where it may arise(Applause). To be able to do successfully stop the growth of communism we must continue to spend an adequate amount on defense and to do that we must have strong economic growth here at home and not only to the people at the top(Applause).

For the past two and a half years the Goldwater administration has declared a war on Unions, Regulations that protect the workers of our nation from being exploited and our economy being destroyed like it was in 1929 and the New Deal in general(Boos). Remember FDR not only brought our nation brought our nation back from the brink of the depression but created the strongest middle class and economy known to man , and later turned our nation into a military superpower which  defeated the Nazis in World War 2(Applause).

If we want to win in 1972 we must stand firmly for economic policies that put the working class first and stands for a strong military and strong nationals security, just like FDR was and our party is the Party of FDR and that is why I am running for President(Standing OVation) . Thank You May God Bless YOu and May God Bless America

Segregationist Governor George Wallace enters Democratic Primaries as well

Wallace: Thank You , Thank You. For the past 2 and a half years President Goldwater and the Republicans have launched the largest assault on the working men that this country has seen in a very long time. Despite all of that  the Republican party are making inroads here in dixie and all across the nation , why because the democratic party has forgotten its actual base. They believe their base is liberals, pointy-headed bureaucrats and ivory tower intellectuals. It is time to take the party back from the liberal elitists and that is why I am running for President(Applause).

The Democratic Party for many years now has told us that forced busing, forced integration is what is needed to make our nation better but all it has done is devastate communities, increase crime, and harm the working men of our nation(Applause) The fact is theres isnt a dime of difference between the Republican Party and Democratic party , they both are there to serve elitists: its just that the Republicans serve Rich People while Democrats serve Bureaucrats and I along with all of you are tired of it(Applause). I can pledge to you that if you elect me I will work my hardest to give power back to you, end forced busing and bring law and order back to this nation(Applause). Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless this Nation.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #149 on: January 17, 2019, 06:27:43 AM »

Jackson '72!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length