A Different Republican Icon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:28:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 67927 times)
Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -0.87

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 26, 2019, 02:32:42 PM »

Here comes a Republican slobberfest
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #201 on: February 26, 2019, 07:42:56 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2019, 01:16:44 AM by Old School Republican »

NBC News: Election Night 1972(Part 4)

10:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ8dPRhuE1s&t=145s

Brinkley: Its 10 in the East and NBC News is now able to project that The President will win the states of Nevada, Utah, Idaho and Montana. We are unable to make a projection at this moment in the state of Iowa

Goldwater 337
McCarthy 37

Chancellor: In the Senate, we are able to project that the Democratic Candidate Richard Clark will unseat the Republican in Iowa and in Deleware, a little known city councilman named Joe Biden will upset Senator J. Caleb Boggs to become the next senator of the state. In Kentucky we are able to project a Republican Hold as Governor . Nunn has won . Those two victories though are important as that means we go from the Republicans have a net gain of two , to it being even so far tonight.

Brinkley: Now Lets go to Lawrence Spivak who will be interviewing House Minority Leader Gerald Ford for his thoughts on the election

Spivak: Congressman Ford what is your reaction to these results so far

Ford: My reaction to this is it is a clear indication that the American people like the direction this nation has gone in and wants us to continue down that path for another 4 years and I look forward to working with the President over the next 4 years to help him in that goal.

Spivak: Congressman Ford as you know we have projected the Republicans will get 217 Seats and at this moment we believe its extremely likely they will have a majority. What do you make of it. Actaully before you answer that Congressman Ford , we have to head back to David Brinkley as we have an important call to make and from what I can tell you will like it

Ford : Laughter

Breaking News : Republicans Win Control of House of Representatives for First Time in 18 Years

Brinkley: NBC News is now able to project that the Republicans will win control of the House of Representatives for the first time in 18 years as we can accurately say when this night is over the Republicans will have no less than 218 seats. Due to this we can officially say Gerald R Ford will be the next Speaker of the House

Ford: Well you were right I certainly did like that projection

Spivak: Well we can now call you Speaker-Elect Ford

Ford: Well not yet since I still have to go through one more election

Spivak: Congressman Ford will the Republicans still keep the coalition with Conservative Democrats assumng you hold the Senate as well

Ford: Yes we will, I believe that it is important for a bill to have bipartisan support rather than just ramming you agenda through.

Spivak: What will be some changes to the budget process

Ford: Well one we will severly limit Pork Barrell and Earmark Spending, two we will ask this question : does this particular spending item affect all of us or just a particular state or city because if its the latter I believe that type of item should be left to the states unless of course there is an emergency which affects the state in which case obviously we will allocate funds to deal with the emergency. Third is taxpayer money used efficiently , because I believe that since it is tax payer money it becomes more critical that every dollar spent is being spent effiently

Spivak: Thanks for coming on

Ford: No Problem

10:15

Brinkley: Interesting Conversation with the soon to be Speaker Ford . Senator McCarthy is just entered the builidng to give his concession speach but before we take you over to his location we have some more projections to make . We can now project the state of Maryland and its 10 Electoral Votes will go to the President.

Goldwater 347
McCarthy 37

Chancellor: Yes and that is in the Montana Senate Seat - We can Project that Senator Tim Boback will be reelected

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: February 27, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »

Wow a Republian House, big night for the GOP. Looking forward to more!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #203 on: February 27, 2019, 03:02:03 PM »

Wow a Republian House, big night for the GOP. Looking forward to more!

Thanks
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2019, 03:53:57 PM »

Senator Eugene McCarthy's Concession Speech:

McCarthy: Thank You , Thank You. A short while ago I spoke with President Goldwater and congratulated him on winning the election, and wished him well over the next 4 years. While tonight was a tough night for all of us , I know this is only the beginning and not the end of the movement you started this year(Applause). It is you the people who are the agents of change not members of Congress and not the President and while there may be bumps like this one I am sure change will come (Applause). For that to happen though we must continue to fight not only in election years but continuously to bring change  (Applause) and I am confident in your ability to do so(Applause).

I want to thank all my supporters for the effort they put in this campaign and I know we would not have been able to make it this far without you. I also want to thank my family because without them there is no way I would have been able to wage this long campaign that I have been waging and they motivated me every day to come out and campaign harder than I have ever before. Thank You , May God Bless You and May God Bless America.

President Goldwater's Victory Speech:

Goldwater: A Short While Ago , I spoke with Senator McCarthy and congratulated him on a well-fought campaign and told him I look forward to working with him to help make this nation a better place(Applause).
(Crowd Yells 4 more years)

While tonight was a great night not only for the party or I but for the principles we have fought for so many years and decades our work does not stop now as now we must use this opportunity to bring upon the change we have taking about bringing for so long(Applause). Bringing change wont be easy, just like bringing all the changes we did over the past 4 years werent easy I am confident if we dont get complacent we will bring change so we can live in a nation with a fair tax code, with taxpayer money being spent efficiently, and a government that is limited in size and scope so the people can control their destiny once again(Applause).

I want to end tonight by thank my family for all the support they have given to me, Vice President Rhodes for being an excellent Vice President over the past 4 years and let him know that tonight wouldnt be possible without his hard work over the past 4 years, all of you for the hard work you have put into not only this campaign but in fighting for our principles(Applause), and the American people (Applause) . Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2019, 02:09:09 AM »

NBC News: Election Night 1972(Part 5)

11:09

Brinkley: As President Goldwater was giving his victory speech the polls just closed on the West Coast and we can project that the states of Washington, Oregon and the biggest of them all California will be one by President Goldwater along with the state of Wisconsin which will also be won by the President. These batch of poll closing will push the President's Electoral Vote Count to well past 400 and we can officially call this a landslide win We are unable to make a projection at this moment in Hawaii

Goldwater 418
McCarthy 37

John Chancellor: None of these calls are surprising , all states were expected to go to Goldwater but Goldwater win in California will be the largest Republican victory in the state since 1928 and the reason for that is his dominance in Southern California along with making inroads in rural counties up North.

Well what did you think of the concession and victory speeches . While I thought they were good I dont think either will go down as memorable

Brinkley: I agree with that assessment

Spivak: We have one more Senate call to make and that is in the state of Colorado - Senator Gordon  Allot will hold on to his seat meaning the Senate Balance for the night will be 49 Democrats to 48 Republicans and with Alaska almost guaranteed to stay Republican the balance of the Senate will be determined by too razor-close races up in Upper New England , New Hampshire and Maine.

In the House NBC is now projecting the Republicans will have anywhere between 227 seats - 232 seats when the night is over. While we dont know if that majority is going to be durable it will give the President a two-year window where he will have an easier time in getting his agenda through congress .

Chancellor: I dont think that majority is durable because one even if you give the Republicans 232 seats the Democrats will only need 15 seats and not only will 1974 be a midterm election it will be a 6 year itch where parties tend to lose a lot of seat. Second if you give the Democrats a win in all the races they loss of less than 5.4 points which was the amount they lost the House National Vote by , the Democrats would have 223 seats in the House and thus a majority.

Brinkley: I agree the assessment that the house majority likely wont last past 1974 but the fact is two years is a long time for major bills to pass .

11:42:

Brinkley: NBC News is now able to major a projection in Hawaii where we can project that President Goldwater will win the state and its 4 electoral votes. This win in Hawaii will make him the first Republican to win this state

Goldwater 422
McCarthy 37

Chancellor: Yup he will be the first Republican to win the state but the reason for that may come down to these things: 1. It was a Republican landslide so states what usually wouldnt vote Republican do and 2. Hawaii has large military presence and McCarthy being the leader of the anti war movement really probably hurt him signfinatly in Hawaii.

Spivak: We have two critical Governor races to call and that is in Illionis the Democrat Dan Walker will be the next governor the state and in Deleware, the Democrat Sherman Tribbutt will be the next Governor. So the Governor races will be a bright spot for the Democrats tonight as they will finish the night by actually making gains.

12:00:

Brinkley: The Polls have closed in Alaska and we can call that state for President Goldwater and we can also call Iowa for the President.

Goldwater 433
McCarthy 37

12:45:

Brinkley: We have a major major call to make and that is New York and its 41 Electoral Votes will be won by President Goldwater. The reason we are able to make this call is that we can confidnetly say that Goldwater will get over 44% of the vote in Queens and is performing about where he needs to upstate meaning that state will be won by the President.

Goldwater 474
McCarthy 37

Chancellor: Make matters worse for Senator McCarthy is the fact that Goldwater made is career out of attacking the New York Establishment and tonight they voted for the very person who made his career out of going after them . David how are things going in Pennsylvania

Brinkley: Well I was just told that both candidates are performing about where they need to in the areas they need to do well in so we wont be able to decide this until probably till early next morning.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2019, 02:27:18 AM »

Very brutal results for McCarthy, probably worse than I expected. Seems like Goldwater will get over 500 electoral votes in the end given McGovern lost Pennsylvania by 20 points. It does seem that McCarthy may be a better fit for the Northeast while McGovern was a better fit for the West, is this accurate? Still I'm betting on 501 electoral votes for Goldwater given the landslide is so immense, a Republican trifecta is an interesting dynamic too.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2019, 02:49:28 AM »

Very brutal results for McCarthy, probably worse than I expected. Seems like Goldwater will get over 500 electoral votes in the end given McGovern lost Pennsylvania by 20 points. It does seem that McCarthy may be a better fit for the Northeast while McGovern was a better fit for the West, is this accurate? Still I'm betting on 501 electoral votes for Goldwater given the landslide is so immense, a Republican trifecta is an interesting dynamic too.

McCarthy has done much better in the North East than McGovern did. He will lose New York by around 2-2.5 points (McGovern lost it by 17%) and Pennsylvania is gonna be decided by a reason thin margin. In the case of Pennsylvania its these reasons: Goldwater being a worse fit for the North East than Nixon , McCarthy being a much better fit for the North East than McGovern and Goldwater just being an absolutely terrible fit for Appalachia like Reagan was but Goldwater is even worse due to a history of supporting Privatizing the TVA but Reagan was able to win PA handily due to the fact that the suburbs had a much larger share of the vote in the 1980s and were more right wing as well.

Goldwater though is better for down-ballot candidates then Nixon though due to the fact that candidates like Goldwater who came up through the Grassroots usually do a better job at having a coattail effect than people like Nixon do but can also risk causing the party to lose more as well. In ways its a Hige Risk High Reward type of candidate for the party.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2019, 09:01:13 PM »

NBC News: Election Night 1972(Part 6)

1:05

Brinkley: NBC News is able to make make a projection in the Maine Senate Race and that is the Democratic candidate William Hathaway has unseated Senator Margaret Chase Smith and that will give Democrats a total of 50 seats which means at the very least they will not lose any seats in the chamber tonight .

Chancellor: In New Hampshire Governor Walter Peterson is leading so far by slightly less than 3000 votes and if he holds on while the GOP will hold the Senate they will only have a majority due to Vice President Rhodes tiebreaker vote but wont have an outright majority.

3:07

Breaking News: Republicans to Hold Control of the Senate

Brinkley: NBC News is now able to confirm that Governor Walter Peterson will be the next senator from New Hampshire. That means the Republicans will hold control of the Senate due to the fact that Vice President Rhodes will have the tiebreaking vote.

Spivak: In the House we are saying the Republicans will get 230 seats in the House while the Democrats will get 205.

Brinkley: We are also getting information that we will be unable to call Pennsylvania tonight due to the fact that only 1750 votes Separate the President and Senator McCarthy so there will be a recount what takes place in the state. So that will mark the end of NBC News Coverage of the 1972 Election, and we give more analysis of the results of the election on a one hour special of NBC Nightly News so we hope to see you there.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #209 on: March 02, 2019, 02:25:15 AM »
« Edited: March 05, 2019, 01:10:52 AM by Old School Republican »

Results of the 1972 Presidential Election:

Presidential Race:

President Barry Goldwater(R-AZ)/Vice President James Rhodes(R-OH) 474 59.2%
Senator Eugene McCarthy(D-MN)/Former Senator Birch Bayh(D-IN) 37 40.6%
Undecided: 27

States Decided By under 5 points:

Pennsylvania: Goldwater 49.6%, McCarthy 49.6%
New York : Goldwater 50.6%  McCarthy 48.4%
Maryland: Goldwater 51% , McCarthy 47.9%
Wisconsin: Goldwater 51.5% , McCarthy 47.3%
Iowa: Goldwater: 51.4% , McCarthy 47.1%
Senate Elections:

Republicans: 50
Democrats: 50

House of Representatives:

Republicans: 230(+29) 51.9%
Democrats: 205(-29)  46.6%

Gubernatorial Races:

Democrats Gain One Seat

Why Did Goldwater win by Such a Large Margin:

Brinkley: Well If you look at history this century, Presidents who won reelection have almost always won it in a landslide with the exception on Wilson in 1916 and Truman in 1948. In the case of Truman it was cause the Democrats were going for Term number 5 and people were beginning to look for an alternative, and other than that 1916 was the only close one. So this year wasnt really a surprise though the extent of it is because nobody thought at the beginning of the year that Goldwater would win the biggest Republican Electoral landslide since 1864 and maybe in history.

Chancellor: While I agree its not a surprise I disagree on biggest Republican landslide. In My opinion, the 1920 and 1924 elections were far bigger Republican wins it was just that the Democrats could count on the South to vote as a Bloc election after election which inflated their numbers

Brinkley: I agree thats why I said electoral. I do think though McCarthy lost larger than say Scoop Jackson or Terry Sanford would have lost by

How did Republicans take over the House:

Brinkley: Well simple by making huge inroads in the traditionally Democratic Solid South. They gained 5 seats in Texas , 2 in Georgia, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi and 15 overall from the South. The Dems still hold a mjoairty in all those places but it has been reduced .

Chancellor: It will be interesting to see what happens in 1974 there

Banner Night for the GOP in Texas:

Brinkley: The GOP gained 5 House Seats in Texas and now hold 9 out of the 24 seats in Texas a new record, they also held on the Governor Race by a 13 point margin and the Senate one by 16 points margin.

Chancellor: Texas you can now say is a Republican state now when it comes to statewide races, but when it comes to local races Democrats still Dominate. I mean in the House they still hold 62.5% seats which is still a very large majority and they still hold super majorities in the state legislature .

Overall Summary:

Brinkley: Well I think this presidential election year in many ways was very predictable it was just the margin of victory that wasnt . The House wasnt predictable but the gains made in the south were a long time coming but still many Democrats are wondering if they could have saved the House if they nominated Governor Sanford or Senator Jackson.

Chancellor: I agree and I also think this marks the end of the so called "New Left" control of the Democratic Party and I think beginning next year they will begin to drift back to what they were before the take over by the "New Left" even though they may never replicate the dominance they had over the political field from the 1930s-1960s.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #210 on: March 03, 2019, 02:55:19 AM »
« Edited: June 02, 2019, 06:15:15 AM by Both Sides™ »

Reports: New Cabinet to have a mix of retentions, reshuffling and fresh faces according to inside sources:

Brinkley: Now that the President has been reelected the most immediate priority for the president will be in deciding what his cabinet for his 2nd administration will be . We are told by inside sources that the cabinet will have some people retained in their roles, some reshuffling going on along with some fresh faces brought in. Chief of Staff Miller and HEW Secretary Knowland have both long announced they would be stepping down so the search for those two picks will be on.

Some potential names we are hearing that may get the job as Chief of Staff are: UN Ambassador Barber Conable, OMB Director John Jacob Rhodes, or Former Congressman George HW Bush

OMB Director John Jacob Rhodes to be new White House Chief of staff in Goldwater's 2nd term:

Chief of Staff: OMB Director John Jacob Rhodes

Goldwater announces Cabinet Members who will be retained in current position:

Secretary of State: Secretary of State Richard Nixon

Secretary of the Treasury: Treasury Secretary Milton Friedman

Attorney General: Attorney General Robert Bork

Secretary of Commerce: Commerce Secretary William E. Simon

Secretary of Transportation: Transportation Secretary Rogers Morton

EPA Head: EPA Head Bob Packwood

Brinkley: Now these names dont mean these will be the only ones to remain a part of the cabinet will mean they will leave adminstration overall, it could just mean they have been reshuffled some roles.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #211 on: March 05, 2019, 07:11:35 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2019, 06:16:08 AM by Both Sides™ »

Recount Shows McCarthy wins Pennsylvania by a narrow 42 votes , making final electoral tally 474-64 in favor of President Goldwater

President Barry Goldwater(R-AZ)/Vice President James Rhodes(R-OH) 474 59.2%
Senator Eugene McCarthy(D-MN)/Former Senator Birch Bayh(D-IN) 64 40.6%

Brinkley: A automatic recount in the state of Pennsylvania shows that Senator McCarthy will win the state by an extremely narrow 42 votes. While the Goldwater campaign can request another recount be done, they will not . So the final electoral count will be President Goldwater 474, Senator McCarthy 64 which will still be the largest electoral victory since 1964 and largest Republican electoral victory since 1864.

Defense Secretary Connally and HUD Secretary Romney announce they will leave the administration at the end of this term

Chancellor: We have just gotten word that Secretary Connally and Romney have decided to not only step down from their current posts but leave the administration as well. Secretary Connally has decided to go to the private sector while Secretary Romney has decided to leave the administration to become a CEO of a non profit called the National Center for Voluntary Action.

It is widely expected that National Security Advisor Laird will take over for Connally and either Former Representative George Bush or UN Ambassador Barber Conable will take over for Laird as Goldwater's new national security advisor  

Goldwater names his picks for Defense, Interior, and OMB

Secretary of Defense: National Security Advisor Melvin Laird

Secretary of Interior: California Secretary of State John L Harmer

Director of The Office of Management and Budget: Secretary of Labor George Shultz

Goldwater and European Leaders agree to reduce trade barriers between nations even though they cant come to an agreement on official multi-lateral agreement :

Brinkley: The President and European Leaders have agreed to reduce trade barriers between the nations . We will take you over to London to hear the President statement on this agreement

Goldwater: While we may not have gotten the multilateral deal like we wanted we still made a huge stpe in improving economic ties between our nations. We have all agreed to reduce trade barriers that currently exisit between our nations to incentive more trade between our nations. Not only will this help improve ties between our nations but help the people of our nations as well. More trade means more competition which means companies from all our nations will have more of an incentive to improve the quality of their product or reduce prices which then will lead to more demand and economic growth.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2019, 07:45:55 PM »
« Edited: March 07, 2019, 03:48:08 AM by Old School Republican »

Goldwater names who will be his National Security Advisor and UN Ambassdor in his 2nd term

National Security Advisor: Former Congressman George Bush

UN Ambassador: Deputy CIA Director Vernon Walters

Chancellor: We are told that Ambassador Conable was offered the job of National Security Advisor but we are told that he was interested in a domestic policy position so we are told he will be named either the HEW Secretary or Labor Secretary soon. Due to this the President named Congressman George Bush who was going to be his choice for the UN Ambassadorship originally as national security advisor . Then for the UN Ambassadorship, he decided to name the Deputy CIA Director
Vernon Walters for the job.

UN Ambassador Barber Conable to head HEW Department in Goldwater's 2nd term

Gerald Ford Officially becomes First Republican Speaker in 18 Years:

Brinkley: After a record 18 consecutive years of Democratic Speakers, there will be a Republican Speaker as Gerald Ford was sworn in as the new Speaker of the House today. While most people have a dream of becoming President, Gerald Ford's Dream was to become the Speaker of the House and today he will finally achieve that goal.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #213 on: March 07, 2019, 04:58:23 PM »

Goldwater makes Final Picks for 2nd term Cabinet:

Secretary of Agriculture: Iowa Lieutenant Governor Roger Jepsen

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Former Los Angles Mayor Norris Poulson

Secretary of Labor: Buisnessman Raymond Donovan

Goldwater's Approval Rating and other Polls:

President Goldwater's Approval Rating:

Approve: 63%
Disapprove: 35%

Vice President Rhodes's Approval Rating:

Approve: 65%
Disapprove: 30%

Opinion of Congress:

Approve: 43%
Disapprove: 42%

Brinkley: It seems like people are in an optimistic mood as people many times are during inauguration day .

UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #214 on: March 07, 2019, 10:37:10 PM »

Awesome landslide by Goldwater!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #215 on: March 09, 2019, 10:37:41 PM »

The Second Inauguration of Barry Morris Goldwater:

Barry Goldwater Jr Interviewed by NBC Prior to the Inauguration:

Chancellor: Congressman Goldwater,what are your thoughts on your father being inaugurated the 2nd time

Goldwater Jr: Well as a son I am very proud of my father and in my opinion this is an even prouder moment than the first inauguration because in the first inauguration people had elected him to bring upon change while for this inauguration people had reelected him because he did a good job as President.

Chancellor: What are the things that you look forward to in your father's 2nd term

Goldwater Jr: Well I believe that with a Republican majority we can fundamentally reduce the size of the government by cutting taxes, taking power away from unelected bureaucrats in the regulatory agencies , and change the nature of many programs from being run by the federal government to being run by the states and the people  . These are not only things I look forward too but I will hold the President and the Republican party feet to the fire too because these next two years might greatest opportunity we might get in the next decade to accomplish these things .

Chancellor: Do you actually mean that

Goldwater Jr: Yes I will, because while the President may be my father, I was elected to Congress on these promises as well and it is my job to fight for those promises no matter who is the President. I though dont believe I have to fight the President on this though because being the President's son I know that he strongly believes in all these ideas as well and he will not let this historic opportunity go to waste.

Chancellor: What is your future , California Governor in 1974, Senator in 1976 or maybe President in the future

Goldwater Jr: Right now I am only worried about fighting for conservative policies in the house not thinking too much about the future. When that time comes I will think about it then

Chancellor: Thanks for coming on

Goldwater Jr: Pleasure's mine

Barry Goldwater takes the oath of office , and gives inaugural address:

Rhodes Sworn in by Justice Laxalt:

Rhodes: I, James Allen Rhodes , do solemnly swear
that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I take this obligation freely,
without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;
and that I will well and faithfully discharge
the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.
So help me God.

Goldwater Sworn in by Chief Justice Burger:

Goldwater: I, Barry Morris Goldwater, do solemnly swear
that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
and will to the best of my Ability,
preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
So help me God.

President Goldwater's Second Inaugural Address:

Goldwater: Mr.Chief Justice, Mr.Vice President, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans, each time we gather here to inaugurate a President, we are not only witnessing the inauguration of the President but also a celebration of our constitution(Applause) and the strength of our democracy(Applause). In March of 1861 our nation was on brink of civil war but despite that President Lincoln was able to stand here and give his inaugural address. Our nation as survived multiple wars, and multiple economic crises each one which could have torn a nation apart but instead each time we emerged stronger(Applause).

The reason we emerged stronger is because of the fact that we learned from the mistakes that led us into crises in the first place and made sure that such mistakes weren't made again(Applause). For many decades it was believed that Washington was the solution to many of our problems, but as we saw in Vietnam, and throughout the past decade that many times it is the problem. In Vietnam, it was believed that people in Washington could run a war better than the Generals on the ground it self, and for many years we ran the war like that to no avail, but once Washington decided to let the Generals run the war, our nation was able to win the war(Applause).

It is not only a lesson we must take to heed abroad but at home as well. For decades we have believed that the best way to solve problems at home was to put more and more power into the federal government but by the mid to late 1960s our economy no longer was growing how it used and inflation was getting worse and worse because of taxes and tariffs being way too high, regulatory state growing too big and programs being spent inefficiently.

The reason our nation became so great was because of the fact that in our nation we allowed the individual to have more political, civil and economic liberty than in any nation every on earth and it has been my mission in the last 4 years, and will be over the next 4 years to return our nation to those principles(Applause). I am more confident than ever our nations best days our still ahead of us, becauase we as Americans have always made life better for our next generation and we will do so again(Applause).

Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2019, 10:37:49 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2019, 11:55:13 PM by Old School Republican »

Goldwater Signs First Executive Order , one of which will end project-labor agreements on federally funded construction projects. Unions leaders respond by vowing to fight President in Court

Brinkley: The President today signed the first executive orders of his 2nd term , which takes aim at many regulations and more controversially ends project-labor agreements on federally funded construction projects. Union Leaders have responded by saying they will fight the order in court as they argue this executive order violates the National Labor Relations Act of 1935. The Goldwater Administration has prepared for such a fight that the Solicter general is already preparing for such a court case.

All of Goldwater's New Cabinet Appointees Approved :

Secretary of Defense: Melvin Laird Approved with a vote of 93 Ayes to 7 Nays

Secretary of Interior: John L Harmer Approved with a vote of 80 Ayes to 20 Nays

Secretary of Health Education and Welfare: Barber Conable Approves with a vote of 72 Ayes to 28 Nays

Secretary of Agriculture: Roger Jepsen Approved with a vote of 88 Ayes to 12 Nays

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Norris Poulson Approved with a vote of 63 Ayes to 37 Nays

Secretary of Labor: Raymond Donovan approved with a Vote of 58 Ayes to 42 Nays

Director of The Office of Management and Budget: George Shultz approved with a vote of 89 Ayes to 11 Nays

UN Ambassador: Vernon Walters approved with a vote of 96 Ayes to 4 Nays

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2019, 06:31:29 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2019, 07:39:37 PM by Old School Republican »

President's Goldwater's 1973 State of the Union Address:

Speaker Ford: Ladies and Gentlemen, members of Congress: It is my high privilege and distinguished honor to present to you the President of the United States(Standing Ovation)

Goldwater: Mr. Speaker, Mr. President, distinguished Members of the Congress, honored guests, and fellow citizens: I want to start of by congratulating the newly elected members of Congress and let them know that I look forward to working with them over the next few years(Applause) to improve our nation. Over the past 4 years, we have made lots of progress: from reforming our tax code, to returning power back to the states, to opening up trade with our allies and much more all of which have made the state of our union strong but our work is not done yet(Applause).

Our tax code is still too complicated and littered with unnecessary loopholes that harm working families and small businesses while enriching special interests. I have currently asked Treasury Secretary Friedman to develop a tax code which makes it possible for anyone to file their taxes and do it on only one piece of paper(Applause). This would help our economy know because Americans will be able to accurately estimate the amount of taxes they owe each year and because of that they will be able to confidently make spending decisions which will then help our economy grow even further.

Those are not the things we must do to help our economy grow , we must reform our regulatory state to make sure unnecessary regulations do not get implemented and  that unelected bureaucrats do not undermine the authority of the elected American Representatives (Applauses). We also must continue to return power and authority back to the states and local municipalities by using block grants which will allow each state and city to deal with unique problems they face which then will help our nation at solving the issue in a more efficient matter(Applause). Lastly, we must deal with our projected budget deficit of 15 billion dollars and I believe this Congress should cut at least 15 billion in spending across the board so we can balance our budget(Applause). It is irresponsible to keep running budget deficits and it is high time that we cut spending to deal with these issues instead of continuing to pass the buck on to our kids.

Now another issue we must continue to deal with is the issue of foreign policy. Just because the war in Vietnam is over does not mean we can isolate ourselves from the world. We must make it clear to the Soviet Union that we will not tolerate communist aggression under any circumstance and the only way to do that is to keep our defenses strong(Applause). We also must also continue to negotiate with the Soviets to pass an arms control treaty so we can end the chances of nuclear annihilation forever. That does not mean we will be willing to unilaterally disarm our weapons though and any arms control treaty will require the Soviets to disarm well and prove that they have disarmed and on this issue our nation will not compromise (Applause).

We also must work with our allies around the world to stop Communist Aggression because communism where ever it has taken root has destroyed the freedoms of that nation and destroyed their economy as well. One way to do that is by promoting free trade because closer economic relations will mean closer relations in general(Applause) and will help the economies in all the nations involved in the Free Trade Agreement. This will make sure that the free world can have a strong enough economy to oppose and resist the communist bloc in the world(Applause). Over the next 4 years it is the goal of my administration to send a signal to the world that the long era of protectionism is over (Applause) and we will finally begin to do what is both economically and diplomatically the smart thing to do and that is to improve economic ties with each other. Thank You May God Bless You and May God Bless America

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2019, 11:41:32 PM »
« Edited: March 12, 2019, 11:50:01 PM by Old School Republican »

Im putting a hold on this TL as it looks like much of the work I did has been deleted in the Atlas update.The update not only deleted the photos they deleted all the writing as well so much of my TL has been basically been deleted as well.

I am pretty upset by this because writing all that took a lot of work and now much of it is gone.

As for this TL i have no idea if it is possible to continue it at this point with so much of it gone, I mean the only way to salvage it is for me to go back and redo all that work so I may decide to scrap this TL and start another entirely

Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #219 on: March 13, 2019, 06:21:30 AM »

I can see all the writing, so I’m confused
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #220 on: March 13, 2019, 10:51:49 AM »

I can see all the writing, so I’m confused

Posts like this
Summary of the 1972 DNC:

Breaking News:Senator Eugene McCarthy nominated after an attempt to change California Allocation Rules Changes, Former Indiana Senator Birch Bayn named his running mate.

Dark Color = Lead of Greater than 12 point
Light Color = Lead between 6-12 points
No Color = Within 6 Points

Goldwater/Rhodes 362 54%
McCarthy/Bayh 78  41%
Tossup 98

It deleted almost everything from this post and it happens many times throughout the TL

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #221 on: March 14, 2019, 12:44:26 AM »
« Edited: March 14, 2019, 01:33:32 AM by Old School Republican »

So Far I have been able to retrieve and restore pages 5,8,9 and I should have Page 2 restored by the latest by tomorrow evening cause not much was deleted from it. Page 1 looks fine so thats good as well.

Pages 3,4,6,7 will take time to restore but if you guys are ok with me just writing up a summary for those State of the Union speeches instead of rewriting the entire speeches, along with some of the other speeches and press conferences I could have the restoration completed much faster.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #222 on: May 12, 2019, 01:52:55 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2019, 02:01:18 AM by Old School Republican »

Son of Former California Governor Pat Brown grabs lead in 3 way Los Angeles Mayoral Race

Brinkley: Jerry Brown, The Son of Former California Governor Pat Brown, has grabbed the lead in the race for LA Mayor over Incumbent Mayor Sam Yorty and the runner up in the previous election Tom Bradly. A recent poll shows Mr.Brown leading 34-%-30%-27% in the pols right now, and also shows Mr.Brown leading Mayor Yorty by 4 points in a two way race and leading Bradley 47%-44% as well.

Goldwater Adminstration Proposes Scrapping Current Tax Code for a Flat Tax:

Details of Plan:

- All Income Above $3,000 for Single Filers and $6,000 for people who filed jointly  will be taxed at a flat rate of 19%

- All Corporate Income above $15,000 will be Taxed at Flat Rate of 20%

- Capital Gains will be taxed at Flat Rate of 18%

- All other deductions for both Individuals and Businesses other than the stated standard deductions will be eliminated

Brinkley: Democrats from all across the spectrum reacted by saying they will not even consider voting for this proposal, and even many Republicans said they would oppose a flat tax. So while the White House may have proposed it , currently the chances of this even passing the House committee does not look so good.

Breaking News: Supreme Court rules that laws that ban abortion before Fetal Viability are unconstitutional:

Brinkley: In a 5-4 Ruling today the Supreme Court ruled that laws that ban abortion before fetal viability are unconstitutional. The 4 dissenting judges were Justices Alexander Bickel, Paul Laxalt, Malcolm Lucas and surprisingly Byron White. Justice Bickel wrote a separate dissenting opinion where he believed it was not the Federal Court's job to rule on matters such as this one and the matters should be left to the states, while the other 3 dissenting justices made arguments defending the bans.

The President responded that while he believes this issue should be left to the states, now that the Supreme Court ruled on this we must respect that.

Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #223 on: May 12, 2019, 02:46:12 AM »

Interesting update-I hope the flat tax doesn’t pass and will be interested in seeing how the abortion rights battle progresses in this TL.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #224 on: May 12, 2019, 09:52:41 AM »

Great to see this one resuming.

Go Jerry Brown! Did he move to Los Angeles? The Browns are actually from San Francisco.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies