A Different Republican Icon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:46:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 67736 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: August 14, 2019, 01:11:08 AM »

Lol Florida still has to act like rl Florida.

And Palm Beach being the county in dispute lol
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #276 on: August 15, 2019, 05:09:03 PM »

President Goldwater reacts to Midterm Election Results:

Goldwater: Yesterday millions of Americans went to the polls to decide who the makeup of Congress, state legislatures and countless local and statewide officials and I would like to take this moment to congratulate each and every one of the winner. While many of us during the campaign may have have opposed the candidate who won, now that the election its over , at the end of the day we are not Republicans or Democrats but Americans and as Americans we must respect the choice the people made.

As the President of this nation, I look forward to working with the people chose to Send to Congress regardless of the party over the next two years . For that reason I have decided to invite all the newly elected representatives, senators and Governors to the White House, two weeks from now to talk about how we can work together to make the nation a better place.

Media Member 1: Do you take yesterday's defeat as a rejection

Goldwater: No I dont, as you can remember almost every president in the past 60 years has seen their party lose a tremendous amount of seats during the midterm of the 6th year of that president's presidency. Even President Eisenhower during his 6th year in office saw the other party make huge gains as well.

Media Member 2: Do you think you can get anything worthwhile accomplished over the next two years

Goldwater: I believe we can , even it wont be easy. It is our jobs regardless of party to work with each other and I intend to do so. Now that doesnt mean I will let the work we have accomplished over the past 6 years be reversed even one inch, if thats what it takes for a compromise but I think we can work together on issues we still pan to address.

Senate Election in Florida still not resolved Despite fact Recount shows Democrat Richard Stone up 35 votes , as Republican Jack Eckerd files suit over claims of undervotes, and recount procedures.

Chancellor: The Florida Senate Race still remains in dispute even after the recount is completed due to the fact that the Eckerd campaign announcing they would file a suit over claims of undervotes, and recount procedures. According to experts in Florida State law they believe this dispute will go up to at least the Florida Supreme Court , so this senate race likely wont be over for at least a few more weeks.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #277 on: August 23, 2019, 03:21:56 AM »
« Edited: August 23, 2019, 03:38:17 AM by Old School Republican »

Top Liberal Republican Leaders meet to map out plan for 1976

Source: https://www.wnyc.org/story/72051-jacob-javits/
Source: https://www.npr.org/2013/02/14/171822608/the-drug-laws-that-changed-how-we-punish

Brinkley: Earlier today , a group of Liberal Republicans such as Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, Former Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton, New York Senator Jacob Javits, Massachusetts Senators Ed Brooke, Maryland Senator Charles Mathias, Congressman John Anderson met to talk about a potential plan for 1976. After being the Dominant Faction in the Republican Party from 1948-1964 the Liberal Wing of the Party has fallen into a tailspin during the past 10 years while the Conservative Wing of the Party has become the dominant wing.

Most evident of that is former Liberal Allies such as George Romney, and Gerald Ford not attending the meeting and neither now call themselves as Rockefeller  Republicans anymore.

Chancellor: Its not surprising in my opinion, much of the Republican Party has been conservative even during that 16 year time period, its just that being liberal was the only way they can win. Now that Conservatism has proven it can win again, I think it will be a major challange for the Liberal Wing to reestablish control.

Goldwater signs bill which reduces the time it takes for Cuban Immigrants  to become Permanent Residents

Brinkley: Earlier today President Goldwater signed a bill which will reduce the time it takes for Cubans in the United States to become Permanent Residents. The original time period according to the 1966 Cuban Adjustment Act it took for Cubans to become Permanent Residents was two years and this new bill will reduce that time to one year. The President signed this bill in Miami, Florida and called this bill a sign that Americans will help out people fleeing communist dictatorships and said that Cuba being our neighbor makes that even more urgent we continue this policy.

Florida Senate Seat to remain Vacant on January 3rd as Senate Race still remains in Dispute as the outcome of Senate Race now heads to United States Supreme Court :

Source: https://www.wpr.org/vacant-senate-seat-sparks-concern-over-lack-representation

Chancellor: While January 3rd is supposed to be the day where this class of Senators who won their races in November get sworn in, the Florida Senate Race will remain vacant due to it still be in dispute. The Florida Supreme Court ruled a week ago against the  Eckerd campaign but the Eckerd campaign has appealed to the United States Supreme Court which this morning ruled that it would take up the case . Due to that a winner cant be certified and wont until the Supreme Court makes a ruling.

Brinkley: So at earliest the senate seat wont be filled for 3 more weeks and if the Court does rule in favor of the Eckerd campaign it could be much longer as the recounts what would result due to that may be challenged by the Stone campaign. I am told that Florida Governor Askew is meeting with legal experts to see if he can appoint an interim senator until the election dispute gets resolved as he believes it would be detrimental for the state of Florida to potentially have a vacant senate seat for months on end.

Chancellor: What I am wondering of is what would have happened if this was a Presidential Race instead and the state that would decide the election gets disputed as this Senate Race.

Brinkley: In that case, I would assume the legal process would be even more accelerated then it already has been to meet the deadlines. What I assume would happen is each successive court would immediately decide to hear the case and we probably would have the Supreme Court decide sometime in early December.

Very Early Polls Released for 1976 Primaries:

Republican:

California Governor Ronald Reagan 41%
Secretary of State Richard Nixon 28%
Vice President James Rhodes 23%
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 8%
Others 1%

Chancellor: For people interested, Speaker and soon to be House Minority Leader  Ford wasnt included due to the fact he has already made it clear he wont run in 1976. From the looks of the poll though this looks bad for the Vice President Rhodes as he will have to surpass Secretary Nixon first before he can become the main challenger to Governor Ronald Reagan.

Democrats:

Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford 24%
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 20%
Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy 17%
Alabama Governor George Wallace 11%
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 10%
Pennsylvania Governor Milton Shapp 7 %
South Carolina Senator Ernest Hollings 6%
Congressman Mo Udall 2%
Others 3%

Chancellor: The Democratic Field Likely will be huge and currently we have no idea how things will go at all

Brinkley: I agree

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2019, 01:37:04 AM »

Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy Rules out Presidential Bid :

Brinkley: Despite polls showing that Massachusetts Senator Ted Kennedy would be a strong contender for the Democratic Nomination , he has announced today that he will not run for President. In Senator Kennedy's statement, he claimed while he considered running, he believes at this moment he can be more effective as a senator for this nation then a candidate. He also said he will still work hard to make sure whoever the Democratic Nominee is be elected next November.

Goldwater announces that " The US will not sign any treaty which would make us give up control of the Panama Canal while I am President"

Chancellor: The President made it clear today he will refuse under any and all circumstances sign any treaty which gave up American control of the Panama Canal.

Goldwater: The US will not sign any treaty which would make us give up control of the Panama Canal while I am President. Our built the Panama Canal and I will make sure it stays under US control.

Democrat Richard Stone wins Florida Senate Race as US Supreme Court dismisses Republican candidate Jack Eckerd lawsuit:

Brinkley: After two and a half month of dispute , a winner has been declared in the Florida Senate Race and that is the Democrat Richard Stone . The reason is the Supreme Court in a 6-3 ruling , ruled to dismiss the Eckerd campaign lawsuit and since the lawsuit was the only thing keeping Mr.Stone from being certified as the winner, the race is officially over. The Secretary of State says he will officially certify Mr.Stone the winner tomorrow, so he can take the Senate Oath two days from now.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2019, 02:35:47 PM »

President's Goldwater's 1975 State of the Union Address:

Speaker Albert: Ladies and Gentlemen, members of Congress: It is my high privilege and distinguished honor to present to you the President of the United States(Standing Ovation)

Goldwater: Mr. Speaker, Mr. President, distinguished Members of the Congress, honored guests, and fellow citizens: Like I have done every couple years, I want to start  this addressing by congratulating the newly elected members of Congress and let them know that I look forward to working with them(Applause). Even though there may be a lot of issues we disagree on , I believe there is still much we can do together over the next two years and it is our duty to the American people to work together on making this nation a better place.

One area where we can work together is in removing the barriers in international trade. If you remember Democrats such as President Roosevelt and President Truman were supportive of removing barriers of trade and understood that our economy does better when we expand free trade(Some Applause). It also helps us improve our relations not only with our allies but nations who arent our allies as well(Applause). My Administration is currently in talks with the Mexican Government in hopes os striking a trade deal with both of our nations. Due to the fact that both the United States and Mexico are neighbors it is essential we continue to improve our relations with one another and one of the best ways to do that is by increasing economic ties our two nations have(Applause).  

Another issue we can work on together is in reforming our education system. With more and more high school graduates attending the many universities around our nation, and more and more of our jobs requiring kids to have attended at least some college, it is time we reform our education system to meet those demands. The first proposal I have is in creating a bipartisan commission that evaluates our current system as a whole and recommends reforms we can make to better our education system in the future(Proposal). Now as we know much of the problems cannot be solved at the federal level, and must be solved at the local level which is why I believe this report should recommend reforms we can make at the federal level, then reforms the states should make as well(Applause). The solution to the issue will not be solved by simply increasing funding for education but by making actual tangible reforms at all levels because that is what solves the problems not just throwing money at a solution(Mild Applause). Solving this issue not only will help us make our education system better but the economy as well.

To continue to make our economy better in the future we must continue to empower entrepreneurs all over this nation because they are the ones who make our economy strong(Mild Applause). This means we must continue to remove the regulations that hamper growth in our nation and just because this issue is considered a Republican issue currently doesnt mean it has to be. Remember it was a Democratic President named Grover Cleveland who opposed giving the federal government too much power as well and now is well regarded by members of both parties. Also for a long time, it was considered liberal to oppose big government as it was understood that a nation succeeds when the power belongs to the people, not the government and it is my intention to make that be true once again and I hope we can all work together to get there.

Thank You May God Bless You, And may God Bless America
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #280 on: September 06, 2019, 09:49:03 AM »

I really love this timeline!

Have you thought of doing a collaborative timeline with someone like Parrotguy?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #281 on: September 06, 2019, 11:11:43 AM »

I really love this timeline!

Have you thought of doing a collaborative timeline with someone like Parrotguy?

Thanks I am glad you are enjoying  it

I have thought of doing a collaborative TL with Parrotguy and with some other posters but things didn’t work out for various reasons so it never got started
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #282 on: September 06, 2019, 11:15:28 AM »

What didn’t work?  Just curious?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #283 on: September 06, 2019, 11:32:42 AM »

TL’s we were interested in doing were not matching up and while theoretically we could do one main solo TL and another collaborative one , that would be too time consuming so that idea didn’t work either  . Maybe though in the future we could write a collaborative TL though
Tron1993
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #284 on: September 06, 2019, 12:00:19 PM »

TL’s we were interested in doing were not matching up and while theoretically we could do one main solo TL and another collaborative one , that would be too time consuming so that idea didn’t work either  . Maybe though in the future we could write a collaborative TL though

Maybe do one set in 2020 where you do the GOP and he does the Dems and you update in real time. You can use polls to decide the outcome of elections
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #285 on: September 06, 2019, 01:24:23 PM »

Maybe do one set in 2020 where you do the GOP and he does the Dems and you update in real time. You can use polls to decide the outcome of elections

Maybe but it won’t happen for some time since both Parrotguy and I currently are still working on our current TL’s and I don’t know about him , but I won’t have the time to work on a TL simultaneously with this so it won’t happen at the moment .

Maybe in a few months after I’m done with this TL I might do a collaborative TL though
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #286 on: September 06, 2019, 09:43:30 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2019, 09:53:35 PM by Old School Republican »

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings announces Presidential Bid:

Source: https://www.sc.edu/uofsc/posts/2019/04/hollings_legacy.php#.XXHw8ShKg2w

Hollings: Thank You , Thank You . For the past 6 years we have had an administration which constantly puts the needs of the wealthy over workers, had the ideological rule over practical policies and it is time we change course and that is why I have decided to run for President. Our nation faces many problems: inflation continues to grow which eats away at the salary our workers worked so hard to get , an education system which needs to be modernized for the changing world, an energy crises that can potentially cause us to have the worst economy since the Great Depression, healthcare costs going up and we need new solutions to solve those problems.

First we must put money back into the pockets of workers by stopping the decline of unions in this nation, and yes we must ask the wealthy to pay more so we can solve problems such as Healthcare, Education and Energy. As someone who has served as both a Governor and Senator I have experiance in both getting bills passed through the legislator and using the power of the executive to solve problems as well and that is something I believe I can bring to the White House. Thank You , May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Goldwater vetoes bill that would have overturned his executive order which ended project-labor agreements on federally funded construction projects

Source: https://govtrackinsider.com/three-times-presidents-vetoed-bills-that-passed-congress-almost-unanimously-f5424c6d2e23?gi=95eba1f8984d

Brinkley: The President earlier today vetoed a bill passed by a Democratically controlled congress, that would have overturned his executive order which ended project-labor agreements on federally funded construction projects. Since the bill didnt pass with anywhere near the numbers needed to override the President's veto, its safe to say his executive order will stand at least until he leaves office.

Chancellor: Yup and what is more striking is if you look at our poll about this issue it shows that 45% of the nation supports the President in vetoing this bill, while only 43% oppose meaning for the first time in decades the polls have shown the public have taken a side against the unions. 6 years of President Goldwater have really shifted the nation to the right on the issues and that is a much bigger problem for unions than this executive order.

Justice Douglas tells Chief Justice Burger he has no intention to resign

Brinkley: Justice Douglas we are told Chief Justice Burger that he has no intention to resign and said that he is confident he can still fully function as a Justice on the Court . House Minority Leader Ford who tried to impeach Justice Douglas in 1970 said that he hopes what Justice Douglas said is actually true and if asked about if he refuses to resign if his health further gets worse, Minority leader Ford announced then this body should take action .

When the President was asked about Minority Leader Ford’s comment , he responded by saying : this is an issue between the Congress and Supreme Court and doesn’t involve me so I won’t get involved.

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #287 on: September 06, 2019, 10:05:23 PM »

Senator Floyd Spencer when?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #288 on: September 09, 2019, 02:41:27 AM »

Liberal Firebrand Senator George McGovern announced Presidential Bid:

McGovern: Thank You, Thank You. For the 6 years our nation as moved in the opposite direction of what we need and not only do I believe we need to reverse that but move significantly forward from where we were before President Goldwater took the oath of office and that is why I am going to run for President. It is high time we pass a healthcare bill that covers all Americans under Medicare, guaranteeing jobs to all Americans, provide equal opportunity to every American child under the age of 18 , guarantee that no American because of Race, Sex, or Age has been discriminated against and finally end the cold war by signing a peace treaty with the Soviets .

Doubters might say we cant win but I am certian we can, and if you remember people said the same about Harry Truman back in 1948 and guess what he won and did great things for our nation and it is time our party brings America moves our nation ahead in the next generation as well. Yes to do so will require us to stand up up against the powerful interests but thats why we are Democrats. Thank You, may God Bless You and may God Bless America.

Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford announces Presidential Bid:

Sanford: Thank You, Thank You. Our nation today stands at a crossroads, a place where we must decide which direction we will take our nation in the next generation. For 6 year the current administration as made it clear what direction it believes our nation it needs to go and its clear that that direction would be the wrong one. Instead of ensuring all of our kids get an equal opportunity in education, the current President has refused to give education the funding it needs and instead decided to give that money to wealthy people in the form of tax cuts. In my opinion the tax bills especially the 2nd one was a mistake and as President I will roll back the tax cuts given to the wealthy among us so we can finally guarantee that every child in America has an equal opportunity in education, does not go to bed hungry and can visit a Doctor when sick.

No of course spending money is not the only solution we need , and that is why I as President I will create a cabinet-level position called the Department of Education so in every cabinet meeting I have our educational concers are given a voice.  Remember the kids we are teaching today are our future Doctors, Engineers, Entrepreneurs, Politicians  and more and that makes it more critical we make sure they succeed Thank You, May God Bless you and May God Bless America

Secretary of State Richard announces that he will step down from position at the end of May:

Brinkley: Earlier today Secretary of State Richard Nixon announced that he will be stepping down from the position at the end of May and in his statement said that he was very proud of the work he and the rest of the team at the state department has done over the past 6 years and says he looks forward  to continuing to work with the President for the next two months.

Man believe the reason he is stepping down from Secretary of State is so he can launch a Presidential Bid in July or August, and when asked that he admitted he is considering a run for the Presidency but hasnt made a decision yet and wont start even formally exploring a potential bid until he leaves his position at the end of May

Current frontrunners to replace Secretary Nixon are Deputy Secretary of State Henry Kissinger,  UN Ambassador  Vernon Walters, and National Security Advisor George Bush.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #289 on: September 10, 2019, 07:04:44 PM »

Senator Henry Jackson announces Presidential Bid:

Source: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/how-will-jay-inslees-presidential-run-stack-up-to-scoop-jacksons/

Jackson: Thank You, Thank You. While we enter the last quarter of the 20th century our nation  faces many challenges: From the Cold War , to a changing economic landscape and to changing our education system to meet the demands of a new generation and we must face each of these problems head on and that is why I have decided to run for President. To meet the economic challenges facing using in the last quarter of the 20th century we must create a coherent energy policy, stop the decline in union membership and by making sure our educational system can prepare our kids for a college education. To do this we not only need policy changes, but a competent and reasoned approach to implement these changes which is what I pledge to you to bring on a daily basis to the White House.

We also must make sure to keep our nation prepared to stop the expansion of communism around the world. While we must always be ready to negotiate we must not surrender as surrendering would leave more people around the world under the misery of a tyrant communist leader. To keep our nation prepared to defend the cause of freedom around the world, we must continue to meet all the needs the military needs to make sure of that  while at the same time working with the Soviet Union to reduce both our nation's nuclear weapons. Remember the best way to achieve peace is by making the enemy realize that is their best and only option as well.

Thank You, May God You and may God Bless America

Goldwater signs multiple pieces of environmental legislation into Law:

Brinkley: With massive amount of bipartisan support , the President signed 4 major pieces of environmental legislation into law: the Safe Drinking Water Act, The Endangered Species Act , The Hazardous Materials Transportation Act, and the Resource Conservation Act. All 4 bills received more than 80% support in both houses, and the President then also signed it into law as well.  

Leaders from both Parties called today a great day of both parties working together to improve our nation and hoped more work could be done in this fashion on other issues as well.

Shortlist of Potential National Convention Sites for both parties released

Republicans:

Dallas, Texas - Dallas Convention Center
Kansas City, Missouri- Kemper Arena
Richmond, Virginia - Richmond Coliseum

Democrats:
Milwaukee, Wisconsin - Milwaukee Arena
Atlanta, Georgia  - Omni Coliseum
Seattle, Washington - Seattle Center Coliseum

Former New York Governor and 1964 Republican Nominee Nelson Rockefeller announces Presidential Bid:

Rockefeller: Thank You, Thank You. As our nation moves into the last quarter of this century, it is time that we put aside the ideological style of governing that has dominated our politics for the past 10 years and return to the pragmatic leadership that helped our nation make so much progress in the 20 years after the War and that is why I have decided to run for President. While I voted for President Goldwater in 1972 , the direction he has decided to take over the past since then has been very disappointing. From the President's Flat Tax Proposal, to proposing to privatize the TVA, to decimating important regulatory agencies and cutting many important programs and it clear that the direction he has taken our party has to change.

We must once again become the party of pragmatic leadership to addressing issues such as providing universal healthcare to all Americans, making sure our infrastructure remains number one in the world, eliminating poverty and all sorts of other problems. As Governor of New York , I worked with Democrats, Republicans, Liberals and Conservatives to solve the many issues facing our state and I will once again as President.

Thank You, May God Bless You and may God Bless America

Brinkley: Before we send it back to your normal programming, I would just like to point out that this race will be very different for Rockefeller than 1964. This time he will the the heavy underdog, and outsider who has to rely on grassroots support because the Republican Establishment over the past 10 years has taken a huge lunge in the conservative direction and many of them are likely gonna be Reagan supporters and the more moderate ones supporter of either Nixon and Rhodes. So other than probably from Republican politicians in the North East who will likely support Rockefeller, this time he will have to be the grassroots candidate
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #290 on: September 13, 2019, 03:47:29 PM »

Budget Standoff between Goldwater and Congress cause Government Shutdown:

Source: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/06/17/barry-goldwater-would-be-appalled-by-trump-raising-money-in-his-home-his-widow-says/?noredirect=on

Brinkley: With the President vetoing the last minute budget bill passed by Congress , the Government has been partially shutdown and will remain until a budget bill can be signed into law. The standoff between Congress and the President was created over the fact that Democratic Leaders are trying to reverse the President's block grant agenda over the past 6 years , and also not only reverse the President's spending cuts but increase it from there as well while the President wants to block grant even more program and cut spending by a further 5% .

Chancellor: Both sides are so far apart right now this standoff could last for quite some time and  if it does say last more than a month could very well hamper the economic recovery which just began a few months ago.

Brinkley: Currently all we can do is wait and see but a poll released today shows that a round a third of Americans blame the President, a third blame congress and a third say both are equally to blame.
As a result of this the President's approvals have dropped to 42% but the Democratic Generic ballot lead has also dropped to a 44%- 42% lead meaning that currently both parties are indeed being blamed for this.

Pennsylvania Governor Milton Shapp announces Presidential Bid:

Source: http://www.phmc.state.pa.us/portal/communities/governors/1951-2015/milton-shapp.html

Shapp: Thank You, Thank You. Our nation faces many problems today: from the energy crises, to increase of ideological rule, and to our problems abroad with the Soviet Union and we need someone who has the experience to make the reforms our nation needs to make to solve the problems in a pragmatic way and that is why I am running for President. As Governor of Pennsylvania , I have worked with both parties to pass consumer rights legislation, anti corruption legislation, and improved the state's welfare system. I can guarantee you things like this government shutdown will never happen if I am President because a shutdown is unacceptable and I will make sure that never happens if I am elected President.

I will also work to closen our ties to our European Allies, Israel, Iran,  Japan, South Korea and South Vietnam because if we want to stop the growth of communism we must bring the world closer together in the effort to stop it. We must also improve our relations with nations in Latin America and Africa as if we wanna stop them from turning communist in the future we must show how we can help improve their lives as well. All this work wont be easy, but I am sure we can achieve it.

Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Democrats announce they will hold their 1976 Convention in Atlanta, While Republicans announce they will hold their 1976 Convention in Dallas.

Brinkley:  Former Vice President Hubert Humphrey and Current DNC Chair announced in the press conference earlier today that the Democratic Party has decided to hold their 1976 Convention in Atlanta, Georgia. Here are the details of the Democratic Convention

Date: July 12th-July 15th
City: Atlanta, Georgia
Venue: Omni Coliseum

The Head of the RNC Congressman Guy Vander Jagt announced that the Republicans have also decided where they will hold their convention and it will be in Dallas,Texas. Here are the details of the Republican Convention

Date: August 2nd-August 5th
City: Dallas, Texas
Venue: Dallas Convention Center

Chancellor: Democrats are trying really hard to keep the South from slipping, so I think this is a smart decision. Democrats parthaway to winning Georgia and much of the south will be to create a coalition of big cities along with traditionally Democratic rural areas while Republican pathway will be to run up the margins in the Suburbs and then win a fair amount of rural counties. So Democrats to counter the Republican suburbs will need the Urban Areas.

The Republicans choice is a clear sign the Republican party has become a very much South Western party.

Breaking News: Government Shutdown ends, as President and Congress agree to pass 2 year budget deal which neither has new spending increases or new spending cuts:

Source: http://theconversation.com/secret-memo-shows-bipartisanship-during-watergate-succession-crisis-90211

Brinkley: The 23 day Government Shutdown has finally ended, as both the President and Congress have agreed to pass a 2 year budget deal which will neither have new spending increases like the Democrats wanted or spending cuts like the President and the Republicans wanted. After the President vetoed 3 different bills that featured new spending increases, some moderate Democrats in swing districts told the President they would support dropping new spending increases, if he dropped his ask for new spending cuts and he agreed.

California Governor Ronald Reagan called this a win for the President as status quo means the President's Agenda from the last 6 years will stay in place.

Chancellor: It is definitely a win for the President as this budget deal means the Democrats wont have an opportunity for the rest of his presidency to reverse his block grant program or the  spending cuts that have already happened over the past 6 years. It also means the President can cement his agenda over the next two years and even if a Democrat takes control of the White House in January of 1977, it would make it harder to reverse his agenda.

Goldwater's Approval Rises after end of shutdown

Goldwater's Approval:
Approve: 46%(+6)
Disapprove: 50%(-7%)

House Generic Ballot:

Democrats: 46%(+1%)
Republicans: 44%(+5%)

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #291 on: September 14, 2019, 11:28:12 PM »

Acting Secretary of State Henry Kissinger nominated by President Goldwater to become full time Secretary of State:

Source: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Henry_Kissinger

Brinkley: Just one day after the departure of Secretary of State Richard Nixon, President Goldwater has nominated Acting Secretary of State Henry Kissinger to take over that cabinet position full time. We are told that Mr.Nixon lobbied heavily for Mr.Kissinger to be his successor and it looks like his efforts succeeded.

Vice President Rhodes Announces Presidential Bid:

Source: https://ohiohistorycentral.org/w/James_A._Rhodes

Rhodes: Thank You, Thank You. When the President and I took office 6 and a half years ago our nation was mired in a conflict in Vietnam, Law and Order was breaking down all across the nation, we had a tax code that punished hard work of the people while rewarding DC Insiders, and program after program was not run efficiently. Now Six and a Half years later: our nation is at peace again , law and order has been restored, racial tension has been reduced, we have a far fairer tax and regulatory code, and we are running the government in a more efficient manner. Our work yes is still not complete and likely still wont in a year and a half and that is why I am running for President.

We must elect someone who fights to make the President's dream of regulatory reform a reality, we must continue to make our tax code more fair and we must continue to return power to the states and I believe with my experience as Governor of Ohio and Vice President , I can make those dreams reality. Thank You, May God Bless You and May God bless America

Senate Confirms appointment of Henry Kissinger in overwhelming fashion

Brinkley: The Senate earlier today by a 7 to 1 margin to Confirm Henry Kissinger's appointment which means  Acting Secretary of State Kissinger will be the official Secretary of State.

Goldwater, Democratic Congressional Leaders meet to discuss infrastructure package:

Chancellor: Earlier today Democratic Congressional Leaders met with the President to discuss a possible infrastructure package. Lets go to our White House Correspondent , Tom Brokaw, for more.

Brokaw: The President clearly stated at the meeting that he believes the funding for any infrastructure improvement package should be block granted to the states as he believes they can best assess ways to best improve their state's infrastructure, while Democrats believe any package should be directly managed by the federal government.

Chancellor: What did the President say he would do if Democrats passed an infrastructure package without block grants

Brokaw: He point blank said he would veto it , and the Democrats said they wouldnt vote for a block grant deal. What will happen is unknown

Chancellor: I think thought the President is in a better position on this. The thing is vast most Americans dont list infrastructure as an issue they consider when voting for President , House or Senate so Democrats really cant use public support as leverage against the President on this. So that essentially makes them have two options: Support a Block Grant Package, or there is no infrastructure improvement package passed at all .

Idaho Senator Frank Church announces Presidential bid:

Source: https://foreignpolicy.com/2013/09/25/secret-cold-war-documents-reveal-nsa-spied-on-senators/

Church: Thank You, Thank You. We stand here at a critical moment in our history today, and future generations will look back to this moment and judge us if we made the right choice our not. They will look back us and ask us did we do everything we could to protect our environment, improve the lives of all Americans both economically and socially, and did we do everything we can to bring peace to the world. For us to meet that criteria we need someone as President who has a long history for fighting for each and every one of those causes and that is why I have decided to run for President.

As President of this great nation I will fight to bring home as many of our troops we can from overseas, make sure to fight to make sure every American can afford housing and healthcare, and keep toxic substances out of our environment. For the past six and a half years we have tried a hands off approach to government and it is clear that it has not worked, so we must not only reverse much of the policies of this administration but move ahead of where we were from 1969. It wont be easy but the job of the President is not supposed to be easy .

Thank You, May God Bless You, and May God Bless America

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #292 on: September 16, 2019, 02:33:01 AM »

Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon announced Presidential Bid:

Nixon: Thank You , Thank You. For six and a half years it has been an honor to serve beside one of the great Presidents in American History: Barry Goldwater as Secretary of State and over the past six and a half year our nation has made lots of progress abroad. We have ended the Vietnam War with honor, passed multiple trade agreements, began process to open up relations with a former Soviet Ally China, and most importantly finally come to an agreement with the Soviet Union that limit arms that can destroy mankind.  While though we have had many accomplishments over the past six and a half years and im sure we will have more in the next year and a half we still will have a lot of work to do and that is why I am running for President.

It is imperative that we continue to open trade relations with nations around the world especially our allies as not only do freer trade help our economy grow it helps improve relations between nations as well which is key when you are trying to stop the expansion of a evil like communism throughout the world. As President I will continue the President's policy in opening up relations with China, as bringing the Chinese fully to our side will make it clear even to the Soviet Union that their dreams of making the entire world be like the Soviet Union are just dreams. To take on this task its imperative our President be someone with years of experience and I believe my experience of being Vice President for 8 years, and Secretary of State for another 6 and a half can provide the nation with that type of leadership on day one.

Thank You , May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Judge rules that Executive Order 10450 which Banned Gay and Lesbians working for any agency of the federal government is unconstitutional. While Ruling doesnt apply to Military Ban, activists hail ruling as huge step forward:

Brinkley: We have some breaking news to report to you today and that is a Federal Judge has ruled that Executive Order 10450 signed by President Eisenhower back in 1953 which which Banned Gay and Lesbians working for any agency of the federal government is unconstitutional. In response to this ruling the US Civil Service Commission announced they will immediately start to consider applications submitted by gays and lesbians to work for the US Civil Service Commission . Many Senators especially from the South such as Herman Talmadge and Jesse Helms denounced the ruling , calling it a disgrace while many in regions such as the North East Praised this decision saying that the only thing that should matter in a job application is someone's merit and nothing else.

This ruling though does not apply to the military but activist leaders still said this ruling was huge step forward and they believe that one day the military ban will be lifted as well.

Current House Minority Leader and Former Speaker Gerald Ford declines Presidential Bid:

Chancellor: House Minority Leader Gerald Ford announced today that he would forgo a Presidential Bid saying that he believes he can better serve the nation here in the House . He said that the Republicans have many great candidates for 1976, and he believes with the type of role he has in the House , he can better advance Republican policies as the Republican Leader in the House . When asked he would endorse he said its too early to make that decision and he probably wont make one at least till the beginning of next year.

UMWA announces that they will strike in 30 days if new CBA is not signed by then:

Brinkley: The Leader of the UMWA announced today that they would strike in 30 days if a new CBA has not been agreed to by then. Since the agreement the UMWA makes is not with any one company but rather the Bituminous Coal Operators Association , if the UMWA goes on strike it will be a nationwide strike and not a strike against one particular company.

President Goldwater said he hoped both sides sit down and come to an agreement as a strike would be a disaster for the nation.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #293 on: September 17, 2019, 01:25:43 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2019, 05:49:21 PM by Old School Republican »

Alabama Governor George Wallace announces Presidential bid:

Wallace: Thank You, Thank You. For the past 6 and a half years President Goldwater and the Republicans have attacked the working men of this nation time and time again just so their rich and elitist buddies can become even more rich and powerful and will likely continue for not only the next year and a half , but many years after that unless we Democrats return to our roots. It is time we stop coddling the so called elitists who support our party and instead return to being a party of the working man and that is why I am running for President.

The Federal Government under both Republican and Democratic rule has trampled on the rights of all our citizens and I can pledge to you that If I am elected that will stop from day one. We will stop forced busing on day 1 because as much as Liberal Elitists claim they are doing that to help minorities the fact is it hasnt helped anyone. If you join this campaign , it will be a fight against two separate types of elites but I can tell you we will defeat both. Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America.

Goldwater and Democrats come to compromise on infrastructure package, with 3/4 of money going in block grants while 1/4 being directly spent by federal government

Brinkley: The President and Democratic Leaders in Congress came to a compromise agreement on a 50 million infrastructure project deal with 37.5 million in funding going directly to states in block grants and the remainder 12.5 million being directly spent by Federal Government. While Goldwater originally wanted only a 40 million dollar project being all block granted and Democrats a 75 million dollar project all directly spent by the Federal Government they came to this agreement.

Chancellor: And the 12.5 million being spent we are heard will be spent on interstate highways, and mainly in maintenance and repairs. Democrats such as George McGovern called this deal a total cave in by Democratic Leaders and due to that voted against it . On the other hand conservatives such as Ronald Reagan called this deal a common sense agreement as he said states can better fix their own infrastructure than the Federal Government can.

Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden Announces Presidential Bid:

https://westernkentuckyuniversity.pastperfectonline.com/photo/CFFE9ECB-B765-4D0C-ACD8-725397674480

Peden: Thank You, Thank You, It is such a great pleasure for me to be here today. Today our nation is mired in one of the worst economic times we have known since the end of World War Two due to a terrible energy crises and solving such a problem will require us to have bold transformative leaders and that is why I am running for President. With my experience both in the private sector and here in the Senate I believe I can provide the leadership we need to get our nation out of this crises from the moment I would take the oath of office.

Some things we need to do is invest in Alternative Energy Sources so we can create more options for Americans which then will help reduce the price of energy in more traditional sources overall, make sure we can create an environment of entrepreneurship without resulting in the workers being left behind and we need to pass the equal rights amendment so every American regardless if they are a man or a women is treated equally. Thank You May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Breaking News: Coal Miners Nation Wide Go on Strike as UMWA and BCOA fail to reach an agreement:

Source: https://www.abqjournal.com/640161/no-union-mines-left-in-ky-where-labor-wars-raged.html

Brinkley: Due to the fact that the UMWA and BCOA could come to terms to an agreement for a new CBA, miners nation wide have officially gone on strike. How long they will go on strike nobody knows, but an inside source tells us that it could be a while as neither side are even close to making a deal.

The President once again called this very unfortunately and announced that he will be sending the Commerce and Labor Secretaries to try to help resolve this situation.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #294 on: September 19, 2019, 06:38:29 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2019, 06:45:07 PM by Old School Republican »

Congressman Mo Udall enters race as well:

Source: https://alchetron.com/Mo-Udall

Udall: Thank You, Thank You. While our nation has made lots of progress over the decades , we as American must know that we have to keep getting better but over the past 6 and a half years our nation has not taken the steps needed to make that next step. Our first step is we must work with both our allies and adversaries around the world in diplomatic means to promote peace around the world. To do that yes we must work with the Russians to reduce both our nations nuclear arsenal so the prospect of nuclear war never ever happens .  

At home we must work to reach a goal that can guarantee that every American can receive access to healthcare no matter their financial condition, strengthen the environment , and end corruption. Having healthcare, clean air and water, and making sure Americans and not the special interests control politics is a necessity not a choice and if you elect me President I intend to fight for all these causes. Thank You , May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Despite Efforts by Commerce Secretary William Simon and Labor Secretary Raymond Donovan to help mediate situation, very little progress made in negotiations between UMWA and BCOA

Brinkley: Despite efforts by Commerce Secretary William Simon and Labor Secretary Raymond Donovan to help mediate situation we are told little to no progress has been made in negotiations between the UMWA and BCOA. Barbara Walters who spoke with leaders of both sides has more

Walter: David I am told that both Secretary Simon and Secretary Donovan attenened 3 meeting over the past two weeks and talked to individual leaders multiple times but despite that little to no progress has been made. The President of BCOA told me that the demands of the UMWA are completely unreasonable and that he wont compromise on a single point until the UMWA is willing to back off completely on many of these demands while the UMWA President told me that that the involvement of the 2 cabinet secretaries made things worse as it seemed like they were negotiating on behalf of BCOA. So from what we are hard it could be months before an agreement is reached

Brinkley: Well lets hope an agreement is reached and both sides do make compromises .

California Governor and Republican Frontrunner Ronald Reagan enters Presidential Race:

Reagan: Thank You, Thank You. Over the past six and a half years our nation has made lots of progress: We have ended the War in Vietnam, we have opened up trade with nations all around the world, we have finally moved to a fairer tax code and are finally giving back the power to the people. We still though have much more to do, as unelected bureaucrats still have the power to essientely make laws through regulatory power and while under President Goldwater's leadership he has greatly limited their power , I will make this issue front and center of my campaign so if we win in November next year their will be no doubt in anyone's mind that the people of this nation want to take away that power away from unelected bureaucrats.

The founders fought the American Revolution so the people have power over their own lives rather than having their lives decided for them by a group of elites in a far distant capital and we must not let that principle be abandoned  under any circumstance. The reason our nation was able to become so great as it has is because here in this nation we unleashed the power of the people than in any nation did in world history . Over the past six and a half years we are finally beginning to return to that principle what made our nation so great but if we want to continue to be great we must keep fighting for those very principles and not just during the time I would be in office but long after that to.

If we truly want to win the cold war , we must first fight for the principles that made our nation great first. Then once we do that we can unite the world behind a moral cause to defeat the communists. It is a battle where we cannot afford to lose , and I promise you as President I will not tolerate the communists getting even one inch more in the world. Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America.

California Lieutenant Governor Barry Goldwater makes controversial comments by saying that Taft Hartley should be invoked immediately to stop the strike

Chancellor: The Son of President Goldwater, California Lieutenant Governor Barry Goldwater caused a firestorm today when he states that he thinks the President should invoke Taft Hartley to stop the coal miners strike immediately . He said that he thinks it would be a massive mistake for his father not to do so as he says letting the strike continue will harm our nation.

Brinkley: He said it in an interview to the local press , and the President responded when asked if he really was considering it he said not at the moment, but when asked if he would rule it out then , he responded by saying no nothing will be ruled off the table.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #295 on: September 21, 2019, 03:52:36 AM »

UAW President Leonard Woodcock Announces he will run for President in interview with CBS's Walter Cronkite:

Cronkite: As I have been told you have an announcement to make

Woodcock : After much consideration I have decided to run for Presidency. While I originally was going to decide to not run, the coal miner strike has changed my mind especially the way the President of the United States has responded to it by basically saying he would not rule out breaking up the strike.

Cronkite: What are some of the major issues you will run on

Woodcock: It will be to rebuild the American Labor Movement which has been destroyed by this administration over the past 6 and a half years . If i win not only will i repeal every anti union executive order the President passed on day 1, I will push to make those repeals laws so no President in the future can use the power of the presidency to weaken labor like that again. If I win I will also make it my first priority to get Taft-Hartley repealed and then I will use the bully pulpit of the office to join the fellow workers who go on strike as well.

In a strike my administration will make it clear to management that we will side with the workers and we will put public pressure on you to make you have to make compromises necessary.

Cronkite:  What about on issues such as the Minimum Wage, and other benefits

Woodcock: We will raise the minimum wage to a living wage , and expand programs like social security and medicaid.

Cronkite: Last question what will you do now with your current position

Woodcock: I will be stepping down so I can focus all my attention on this run and I am confident my successor will do a great job as well

Cronkite: Thanks for coming on

Woodcock: Thanks for interviewing me as well

Goldwater announces that he will not grant the city of New York a bailout and will veto any legislation doing so :

Brinkley: With New York City on the verge on bankruptcy , the mayor has asked for a bailout by the federal government and while Democratic Leaders announced they would support saving New York City, President Goldwater said that he would veto any legislation which would do so. House Minority Leader Gerald Ford also made it clear that he also opposes granting a bailout and he would work to make sure the President's veto would fail to be overridden in the House.

The Municipal Assistance Corporation has made many recommendations to the city such as : freezing wages, laying off public employees and increasing fees and cut spending in general. The State of New York also recommended similar measures and also essentially took control of the city's budget but even then there remains a shortfall. While  bankruptcy likely will be avoided on the 17th as the teachers unions have said they likely will invest $150 million from pension funding to city securities but likely unless unless some type of bailout is granted in the next month or two , its likely that the city may go bankrupt.

Chancellor: the Former Governor of New York Nelson Rockefeller and current Presidential candidate responded to the news by slamming the administration and saying that this is exactly why governing in ideological terms has hurt our nation. He said while giving a bailout is not ideal , it is needed and allowing a major and truly great American city like New York to go bankrupt would be disastrous for the people of New York City, New York State and the country as a whole. He said that he is disappointed House Minority Leader Ford has gone along with the President on this and hopes he backs of so Congress can go around the President on this.

The President responded by saying that it is not the federal government responsibility to bailout the city and maybe the state of New York should provide the funds needed for the bailouts.

1975 Off Year Election Preview:

Kentucky: Governor Wendell Ford(D) vs Businessman Bob Gable(R)- Safe Dem Hold

Louisiana : Governor Edwin Edwards(D) vs Mr.Robert Ross(R) - Likely Dem Hold

Mississippi: Former District Attorney Cliff Finch(D) vs Representative Trent Lott(R) - Tossup

Chancellor: President Goldwater campaigned with Representative Lott in Gulfport, Mississippi in an attempt to boost the Republican chances of winning a governor race in the state for the first time since Reconstruction.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #296 on: September 23, 2019, 11:59:05 PM »
« Edited: September 24, 2019, 12:20:25 AM by Old School Republican »

Representative Trent Lott becomes first Republican to win a Gubernatorial Race in Mississippi since Reconstruction. Democratic Governors Reelected in Kentucky and Louisiana

Brinkley: Last night political earthquake hit the state of Mississippi as Representative Trent Lott defeated the Democratic candidate Cliff Finch by a 50.1%-48.9% margin to become the first Republican to win a Gubernatorial Race in the state of Mississippi since Reconstruction. Too add on that voters in the state approved a ballot measure which allows sitting governors to run for a 2nd term , and in a state which is so dominated by one party as this one the minority party controlling the governor mansion for 8 years could be what the Republicans need to break the Democrats dominance of that state.

Chancellor: I agree  , and the fact is the South has trended hard Republican since the 1966 midterms which many credit to the President, and it seems like the President decision to hold two rallies in the state of Mississippi helped Mr.Lott eke out a victory.

Brinkley: In the states of Kentucky and Louisiana Governors Wendell Ford and Edwin Edwards have been reelected by comfortable margin,

Breaking News: Supreme Court Justice William Douglas retires

Brinkley: After a medical report two weeks ago showing that Justice Douglas would be paralyzed for the rest of his life, Justice Douglas has decided to retire despite earlier proclamations that he wouldnt retire. We are told Chief Justice Burger, Former Justice Fortas and a bipartisan group of Senators had asked him to retire and it seems like after pressure he has decided to do so.

The President responded by thanking Justice Douglas for all his years of service and when asked about his replacement he said he will make one as quick as possible

Chancellor: We are also told that its very possible if Justice Douglas didnt retire, impeachment proceedings could have begun. Thankfully that didnt happen

New York City Bailout Passes as Congress Overrides Goldwater's Veto:

Source: https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/NBC_News_Special_Report?file=NBC_News_Special_Report_%281972%29.jpg

Brinkley: Despite the fact that it everyone believed that there was no chance the Federal Government would come to rescue New York City after the President vetoed a bailout package, congress in a surprise move was able to procure the votes needed to override the veto as House Minority Leader Ford dropped opposition to the bailout along with even many conservatives. In the Senate Majority Whip Robert Byrd was able to get many of the Southern Democrats on board as he was able to get a rule change passed which gets rid of the rule passed by the previous senate which limited Pork-Barrel Spending.

Chancellor: What I believe led House Minority Leader Ford to drop opposition to the bill was the latest polling numbers which show the President's approvals to have dropped to 36% and Republicans falling further behind in the generic ballot polling.

The President responded to this in disappointment but said history will prove his veto as the right thing to do.

Goldwater Nominates District Court Judge James L Buckley to fill Supreme Court Vacancy. Senate Democratic leaders call choice political and vow to grill Buckley at hearing and reject his nomination unless Buckley can prove he has changed

Goldwater: Thank You, Thank You. As you know appointing a Supreme Court justice is one of the most important decisions any President can make as a Supreme Court is the final arbitrator of the law . For that reason I have decided to nominate Judge James L Buckley to the Supreme Court as I am confident he will uphold the constitution to the best of his ability and will not legislate his personal beliefs from the bench

Buckley: I want to thank the President for nominating me to the Supreme Court, because I am sure there were many other well qualified judges on his list as well. The Supreme Court is one of the most important institutions our founders set up because they are the ones who protect our nation from widely unconstitutional laws congress has passed over our history but with that power also comes a sense of responsibility to remain restrained . An abusive judicial branch can also override the people's will and take away their freedoms as well with their rulings, and I will be determined to make sure that does not happen to our highest court , because in the end of the day it is our job  to protect the freedoms guaranteed in the constitution to the people. Thank You May God Bless You and May God bless America

Brinkley: Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield and Senate Majority Whip Robert Byrd in a joint press conference today called the appointment outrageous and massively political. Both Mansfield and Byrd said while they will give Judge Buckley a chance to prove why he is qualified during the senate hearings, they will grill him due to how ideological his career has been to this point and if he hasnt proven he hasnt changed and left that part of him behind him, that they will do all they can to make sure he is rejected by the Senate.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #297 on: September 25, 2019, 07:10:32 PM »

Goldwater officially invokes National Security Provision of Taft-Hartley against coal miner strikers. District Court Judge officially orders strikers to return to work and Justice Department announces they will use all tools necessary to enforce order

Source: https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4528210/barry-goldwater-1964
Brinkley: The President last night invoked the national security provision of Taft Hartley to end a Coal Miner Strike which now will enter its third month. In response to that order a District court judge just a an hour, ruled in favor of the President and issued an  injunction which orders the miners back to work within 3 days . Attorney General Bork just a few minutes ago announced that the Justice Department will use all the tools necessary to enforce this injunction if miners dont return to work within three days as the injunction orders.

Chancellor: The President to let our viewers know, justified invoking the national security provision of Taft Hartley by showing how the strike has made the energy crises worse and said a lack of electricity could be life threatening for many Americans especially during the winter.

Brinkley: We are also told that the UMWA has appealed this ruling and a appeals court judge said he would hear this case immediately.

Appeals Court puts a temporary stay on District Court Ruling which means strike will remain ongoing. Crises divides politicians on party lines with very few exceptions

Brinkley: While originally these striking miners were supposed to go back to work today, an appeals court judge has officially put a temporary stay on that district court ruling which will last until the appeals court makes an official ruling as well. Over the past few days many prominent politicians have reacted to this news and here are their reactions, first from West Virginia's very own Robert Byrd

Senate Majority Whip Robert Byrd: The President issuing Taft-Hartley to break up this strike is disgusting and shows how much the President is willing to sell out the workers in this country for his rich and powerful friends. The fact that he also was willing to arrest the strikers to force them back to work against their will shows that he is willing to use authoritarian measures as well and I am glad the appeals court shot that order down.

Every Democrat running for President echoed the statement and Mr.Woodcock said this is why repealing Taft-Hartley must be the first priority in any Dem administrations so this type of situation could not happen again . On the other hand Republicans such as Reagan, Nixon, Rhodes and even Ford all came out for it with statements like this

California Governor Ronald Reagan: The fact is the strikers are breaking the law by going on strike which threatens the security of our nation so their is nothing more that should be discussed. They should be ordered back to work immediately and should be held to be contempt of court if they refuse to go back.

Other Presidential Candidates such as Nixon and Rhodes echoed Governor Reagan's statement and even house Minority Ford did though in a different way. He said that he supports temporarily ending the strike and getting both sides back to the bargaining table . On the other hand Nelson Rockefeller condemned this decision.

Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller: While Taft-Hartley does have some uses , using it in the way the President used it is wrong. The fact is the national security clause wasn't meant for situations like this but situations where national security is actually threatened. The President should withdraw this order and fairly mediate the negotiations without favoring one side or the other. Its not our job to take a side but be 100% neutral and the President hasnt done that and from day 1 has been on the side of the owners.

Chancellor: State parties like the West Virginia GOP also denounced this decision. They really have no choice though but to denounce it as the GOP all over Appalachia has collapsed over the Goldwater Presidency and this order could kill them off totally for at least a generation. A poll which we recently conducted shows the Democrats beating Reagan, Rhodes, and Nixon there by over 40 points each and a hypothetical poll against Goldwater shows them beating him by over 50 points. On the other hand Governor Rockefeller trails the Democrats there by less than a 15 point margin and now leads all the Republican candidates combined in West Virginia by a stunning 5:3 margin.

Brinkley: Pretty stunning how a North Eastern Republican who many people consider an elitist polls the best by far in a state which is almost the reverse of New York in every way.

Senate Rejects Buckley's Nomination by a 55-45 margin after grilling Judge Buckley at the hearing

Source: https://images.c-span.org/Files/271/1513621534.jpg/Thumbs/height.318.no_border.preferPromo.width.480.jpg

Brinkley: The Senate earlier today rejected the nomination of Judge James Buckley to the Supreme Court with 55 senators voting Nay on the nomination. Here are the votes that went against party lines

Summary of: Vote
Republicans who voted No: Jacob Javits, Lowell Weicker, Charles Mathias, Charles Percy, Clay Myers Mark Hatfield

Democrats who voted Yes:  James Allen, James Eastland , Harry Byrd , and Herman Talmadge.

Brinkley: So even many Conservative Democrats decided to vote against Judge Buckley's nomination and the reason we believe is due to the fact that when Judge Buckley was asked about the Coal Miners strike and what he thinks should be done, he said that he would have ruled the same way the district court judge did if that case went to his court. While he was very reluctant to say that , after much grilling Democrats were finally able to get an answer out of him and we believe that killed his nomination.

The President responded by the news saying that he is very disappointed with the Senate but he will appoint another judge as quickly as possible

Chancellor: I think the President deciding to invoke Taft-Hartley to break up the coal miner strike might have destroyed not only Judge Buckley's chance but the chance of any conservative judge as well because that question will be asked to any nominee now which in turn will ruin a conservative nominee's chance of getting on the court as conservative judges definitely will be in favor of the President's invocation of Taft-Hartley.

Fate of UMWA Strike to be decided by the Supreme Court of the United States as Administration Appeals ruling handed down by an Appeals Court judge which overturned the District Court's decision.

Source: https://logos.fandom.com/wiki/NBC_News_Special_Report?file=NBC_News_Special_Report_%281972%29.jpg

Brinkley: The Fate of the UMWA Strike will be decided by the Supreme Court after the Administration appealed a ruling by an Appeals Court Judge which overturned a district courts decision which had ordered the strikers to end their strike. As a result of this appeal, the Supreme Court has said they will indeed hear the case and expedite the case to the front of the line as well. The case likely will be Called United States vs UMWA with the United States being the Goldwater Administration and the UMWA being the Striking Miners. Here is how we believe the vote should go and remember since there are only 8 justices a 4-4 decision would mean that the Appeals court decision will stand.

Justices likely to vote in favor of the United States: Laxalt, Lucas, Hays
Justices likelt to vote in favor of the UMWA: Brennan, Marshall
"Swing" Justices: Stewart, White, Burger

New Polls Released about Goldwater's Approval Rating and state of primary:

Goldwater's Approval:

Approve: 39%(+3%)
Disapprove: 59%(-3%)

House Generic Ballot:

Democrats: 48%(-2%)
Republicans: 40%(+2%)

Republican Primary Poll:

California Governor Ronald Reagan 40%(-)
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 25%(-3%)
Vice President James Rhodes 22%(-1%)
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 13%(+4)

Democratic Primary:
Senator Henry Jackson 20%(-)
Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford 17%(-4%)
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 16%(+4)
Idaho Senator Frank Church 13%(+2%)
North Dakota Senator George McGovern 10%(-)
Alabama Governor George Wallace 9%(-3%)
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 5%(+2%)
Congressman Mo Udall 4%(-1%)
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 3%(+2%)
Pennsylvania Milton Shapp 3%(-2%)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #298 on: September 26, 2019, 12:48:22 PM »

Frank Church for president!

In this case, I'd support Goldwaters actions to end the strike, but negotations with labor should continue.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #299 on: September 28, 2019, 01:32:07 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2019, 01:38:18 AM by Old School Republican »

Supreme Court in 5-3 ruling that usage of Taft-Hartley against striking coal miners was lawful. As a result of ruling 133 day coal miner strike will come to an end.

Brinkley: Earlier today the Supreme Court ruled that the President's usage of Taft-Hartley against the striking coal miners was indeed lawful, which means the 133 day coal mining strike will come to an end tomorrow. The Supreme Court justices who ruled in favor of the President were Justices Stewart, Burger , Laxalt, Lucas, and Hays while the justices who dissented were Justices Brennan, White and Marshall.

Chancellor: Some people are speculating how such an order could be enforced

Brinkley: Many ways John, one is any miner who refuses to go back to work could be held contempt of court and second is that miners who remain on strike could be fired immediately and not be protected by striker protection laws as officially by tomorrow , the strike will no longer be considered a strike due to the court's ruling.

Chancellor: A poll by NBC show that 56% of Americans support the decision though the vast majority of Democrats oppose it and a large number would support primarying Democrats who are viewed to be directly or indirectly supportive of this decision.

Brinkley: Well that poll isnt a surprise especially the poll on Democrats.

President Goldwater Nominates Massachusetts Senator Ed Brooke for vacant Supreme Court Pick:

Source: https://www.mvtimes.com/2015/01/03/edward-w-brooke-former-u-s-senator-oak-bluffs-resident-dies-95/

Goldwater: After many weeks of speculation I have decided to nominate Senator Edward Brooke to fill the vacancy on the Supreme Court. As someone who has come to know Senator Brooke over the pat 10 years, I know that he is an honorable, principled, hard-working person and that is exactly the qualities a justice on our highest court should have. It is my honor now to introduce to you Senator Ed Brooke

Brooke: I want to start of by thanking the President for giving me the honor of having the chance to serve this nation as a Justice on the highest court in the land. As we all know the Supreme Court is one of the top safe guards our founders put in place for the constitution and over the years they have stopped many unconstitutional  laws from being implemented . As a justice of the highest court , we also must understand that is not our job to be legislators but instead just to interpret our laws Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Brinkley: To many this was a surprising pick, with the President picking a very prominent Liberal Republican

Chancellor: Well I dont think the President had much of the choice, as one of the result of the fall out over how the coal miner strike was ended, the Democratically Controlled Senate is probably not interested in approving any conservative nominee to the highest court in the land. Also, the President understood that while Senator Brooke is pretty liberal for a Republican, his appointment will still move the court to the right as he still will be to the right of Justice Willia Douglas

Nixon wins an upset victory in Iowa despite while Reagan romps to easy win in New Hampshire. On Democratic Side, Hollings shocks the political world with wins in Iowa and New Hampshire. Sanford, Udall and Shapp drop out of the race due to results of primary

Brinkley: The two first primary contests are now behind us and to remind you of the results on the Republican side it started with Mr.Nixon upseting the polls in Iowa and winning the contest and then in New Hampshire Mr.Reagan romped to an easy win but Mr.Rockfeller did have a strong showing which could make his camapign viable at least in that region. On the Democratic Side South Carolina Fritz Hollings shocked the political world by upsetting Senator Church in Iowa and Senator Jackson in New Hamsphire and many now believe he very well could be the new frontrunner in the race.

Now lets put up the exact results so all of you at home can see

Iowa Caucus:

Republicans:
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 34% 13 Delegates
California Governor Ronald Reagan 31% 11 Delegates
Vice President James Rhodes 29% 10 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 6% 2 Delegates

Democrats:
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 24% 11 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 22% 10 Delegates
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 15% 7 Delegates
Former North Carolina Governor Tery Sanford 12% 5 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 11% 5 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 8% 4 Delegates
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 5% 2 Delegates
Alabama Governor George Wallace 2% 1 Delegate
Congressman Mo Udall <1% 0 Delegates
Pennsylvania Governor Milton Shapp < 1% 0 Delegates

New Hampshire Primary:

Republicans:
California Governor Ronald Reagan 53% 11 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 20% 4 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 14% 3 Delegates
Vice President James Rhodes 13% 3 Delegates

Democrats:
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 25% 6 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 24% 5 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 20% 4 Delegates
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 17% 4 Delegates
Former North Carolina Governor Terry Sanford 7% 2 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 4% 1 Delegate
Pennsylvania Governor Milton Shapp 2%
Alabama Governor George Wallace <1%
Former UAW President Leonard Wood <1%

Brinkley: As a result of these primaries Governor Sanford, Congressman Udall and Governor Shapp have all dropped out and Governor Sanford has already announced he will be endorsing the candaicy of Senator Fritz Hollings. So John what do you think about the results

Chancellor: Well I think on the Republican side is that Secretary Nixon now has firmly established his self as the main non-Reagan candidate in the race especially after the fact that he beat Vice President Rhodes in Iowa despite the fact that the Vice President is from the Midwest. After Iowa people were speculating that maybe Secretary Nixon beating Governor Reagan there would make him the new frontrunner, but as New Hampshire proved that is not the case as Governor Reagan won that primary in a landslide and lastly that Governor Rockefeller still may have a strong base in parts of the nation which could have ramifications in the general election.

On the Democratic Side , I believe while it shot Senator Hollings up to frontrunner status due to this surprise wins , his frontrunner status is still very narrow.The map till Super Tuesday should be pretty favorable to him now but it wont be until then where we can say that the race has a solid frontrunner. Also I think the race has officially been divided into 2 ideolgical camps now with two candidates each, the center-left camp having Senator Hollings and Senator Jackson with the more Progressive Camp having Senator Church and Senator McGovern

Brinkley: So you dont think the others have a chance now

Chancellor: Unless something major happens no, take Governor Wallace for example who usually is extremely strong in the South but this time a Southern Candidate actually has a chance of the nomination and his name his Senator Hollings and the support what used to go to Wallace will likely go to him except a few fringe. Senator Peden while she has had a strong showing so far espically among Women under the age of 35 you have to remember neither Iowa or New Hampshire are very big and she didnt even come close to winning there, the challange in the bigger states will be far more harder. Lastly we come to Mr.Wood who is pretty much running a one issue campaign and while it may do well in states like Michigan, Ohio , Pennsyvania and maybe in Appalchia it hasnt gotten traction anywhere elese and the fact is you need a national campaign to win not a regional one issue based campagin.

Brinkley: Thank You John for you anaylsis

Breaking News: Senator Edward Brooke will now be officially be called Associate Justice Edward Brooke after Senator Overhwhelmingly approves his nomiantion with a vote of 79-10

Brinkley: The Senate today overwhelmingly today voted to confirm Senator Edward Brooke to the Supreme Court with a margin of 79-10 with Senator Brooke getting the votes from many Conservatives in the party that many thought may not vote to confirm him and even a few southerners as well.

Chancellor: Yup even Senator Majoirty Whip Robert Byrd voted to confirm him despite him not to long ago of filibustering the civil rights act, and opposing the nomination of Justice Marshall.

Senators who voted no: Hill, Sparkman, Talmadge, Ellender, Long, Eastland , Helms , Thurmond, Harry Byrd, Stennis

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies