A Different Republican Icon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:23:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 67918 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 28, 2019, 01:50:30 PM »

Frank Church for president!

In this case, I'd support Goldwaters actions to end the strike, but negotations with labor should continue.

Why Church instead of Hollings or Jackson
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #301 on: September 29, 2019, 12:38:12 AM »

Nixon Now!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #302 on: September 30, 2019, 06:14:57 PM »
« Edited: October 26, 2019, 06:59:29 AM by Admiral Lord Horatio D'Ascoyne »

President's Goldwater's 1976 State of the Union Address:

Speaker Albert: Ladies and Gentlemen, members of Congress: It is my high privilege and distinguished honor to present to you the President of the United States(Standing Ovation)

President Goldwater: Mr. Speaker, Mr. President, distinguished Members of the Congress, honored guests, and fellow Americans: tonight will be the 8th and final time I will be giving the state of the union address in this chamber and while the Presidential campaign may no be in full swing there are still many things I believe we can work on together (Applause). Over the past 7 years, I have had the honor of working with Congress in creating a fairer tax code, giving back power to the people, passing many free trade agreements and much more and I look forward to working with you in my last year to accomplish much more.

The first thing we can do is continue to implement policies that increase the energy supply in this nation(Applause). To do so we need to continue to get rid of unnecessary regulations that harm prevent the growth of our energy supply, and work with states to convince them to do the same as well(applause). While our nation has finally gotten out of the terrible recession that has affected our nation over the past two years, we still havent recovered yet and one of the key to recovery is coming up with a coherent energy policy. More supply of energy means lower prices which is the key to lowering inflation and as we all know when one sector of the economy starts to boom it will start to affect other sectors in a positive way as well which will lift our entire economy up(Applause).

One way to get our nation on track to having a coherent energy policy is by improving our relations with our allies. Over the past 7 years our nation has gotten rid of protectionist measures, signed new trade deals and what we have seen from those trade policies is not only that they improve our economic ties with other nations but improve relations in general . These improved relations are a key, a key to making sure we prevail over the Soviet Union in the cold war, and stopping the Communists from expanding in the future. Communists gain power when our nation withdraws from the rest of the world, and we must not let up because in the end Freedom will prevail but it will only prevail if we have the guts to continue on .

Our brave men and women in uniform fought bravely in Korea and Vietnam to stop either nation from falling in the communist hands completely but we must not forget that those wars are just battled in the larger fight against communism. While we are always ready to negotiate more arms reduction treaties like the SALT treaty, we will not capitulate under any circumstance because Freedom is at stake in this conflict and we will not let it slip away from us. Thank You May God Bless You and May God Bless America

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #303 on: October 02, 2019, 02:37:35 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2019, 02:40:43 AM by Old School Republican »

Congress passes a bipartisan bill that expands Standard Deduction, Personal and Dependent Exemption and President Goldwater signs it

Brinkley: In an attempt to help speed up the economic recovery, Congress past a bipartisan bill that increases the standard deduction for single filers from $2000 to $2300 and joint filers from $2500 to $3000 . They have also increased the Personal and Dependent Exemptions from $750 to $850. The President signed the bill into law. One opponent of the bill was Senator George McGovern who said that the money would be better spent in expanding programs for poor and middle-class families.

Mini Tuesday Results: Reagan wins South Carolina, Nevada and Mississippi, Nixon wins Michigan while Rockefeller wins West Virginia. On the Democratic side Hollings wins South Carolina , Mississippi , and Michigan,  and Church wins Nevada and West Virginia. Rhodes , McGovern,  Wallace ,  Leonard Wood all drop out due to result of primaries .

Source: https://research.reading.ac.uk/american-history-politics/spies-civil-liberties-and-the-senate-the-1975-church-enquiry/

Brinkley: To recap the first major primary night  , we will first go over the rules of allocation for the Republican side , then show you their result then do the same thing for the Democrats. In South Carolina the winner gets every single delegate , in Mississippi ,West Virginia, Michigan you have a hybrid system of some delegates being awarded per house district and some statewide, and in Nevada its proportional. Ok now lets look at the results
Republican Primary Results:

Mississippi:

California Governor Ronald Reagan 44% 20 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 40% 10 Delegates
Vice President James Rhodes 13%
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 1%

South Carolina:

California Governor Ronald Reagan 53% 36 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 32%
Vice President James Rhodes 23%
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 2%

West Virginia:

Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 57% 28 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 21%
California Governor Ronald Reagan 13%
Vice President James Rhodes 9%

Michigan:

Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 39% 53 Delegates
California Governor Ronald Reagan 30% 28 Delegates
Vice President James Rhodes 21% 4 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 10%

Nevada:

Former California Governor Ronald Reagan 61% 11 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 22% 4 Delegates
Vice President James Rhodes 10% 2 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 5% 1 Delegate

California Governor Ronald Reagan 117 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 83 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 35 Delegates
Vice President James Rhodes 19 Delegates

Chancellor: From the looks of things it still looks like not much has changed as remember California and the West  in general is pretty is looking like solid Reagan territory and with the results of Nevada  , it looks like the west will be Reagan country and if you add Texas than the West could provide a firewall for Reagan that could be hard for anyone to beat.

Brinkley: Though a win in Michigan in Nixon might give his campaign the momentum to make Reagan's firewall weaker . Now lets look at the Dems and remember all Their delegates are proportionally allocated unless a candidate gets over 3/4 of the vote in which case it becomes winner take all

Democratic Primary Results:

Mississippi:
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 38% 16 Delegates
Alabama Governor George Wallace 36% 14 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 14% 5 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 6% 2 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 3% 1 Delegate
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 2% 1 delegate
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 1%

South Carolina:
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 78% 45 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 11%
Alabama Governor George Wallace 7%
Idaho Senator Frank Church 2%
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 1%
South Dakota Senator George McGovern <1%
Former UAW President Leonard Wood <1%

West Virginia:

Idaho Senator Frank Church 28% 10 Delegates
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 25% 8 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 20% 7 Delegates
Alabama Governor George Wallace 14% 5 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 8% 3 Delegates
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 4% 1 Delegate
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 1%

Michigan:
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 30% 35 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 26% 31 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 17% 20 Delegates
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 9% 11 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 9% 11 Delegates
Alabama Governor George Wallace 7% 8 Delegates
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 2% 1 Deleagte

Nevada:

Idaho Senator Frank Church 33% 6 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 32% 5 Delegates
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 18% 3 Delegates
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 9% 2 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katerine Peden 4% 1 Delegate
Alabama Governor George Wallace 3%
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 1%

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 124 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 63  Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 43 Delegates
Alabama Governor George Wallace 28 Delegate
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 25  Delegates
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 14 Delegates  Delegates
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 13  Delegates
Former North Carolina Governor Tery Sanford 7 Delegates
Congressman Mo Udall 0 Delegates
Pennsylvania Governor Milton Shapp 0 Delegates

Chancellor: The biggest surprise of the night for the Dem primary for me was Senator Peden winning 20% in West Virginia though polls did show her getting 15% even a week ago

Brinkley: I disagree John, West Virginia borders her home state of Kentucky so she did very well, I think the biggest surprise was Senator Hollings defeating Governor Wallace in Mississippi a state long considered Governor Wallace's 2nd home. I think the most consequential was Nevada as I think now the Dem race will be between Senator Hollings and Senator Church.

Chancellor: Last but not least Vice President Rhodes, Senator McGovern, Governor Wallace and Mr.Wood all dropped out as a result of today's primaries
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #304 on: October 04, 2019, 01:41:57 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2019, 11:38:56 AM by Old School Republican »

Summary of the Republican Primary Debate:

Source: https://s.abcnews.com/images/Politics/empty-debate-stage-gty-jef-190627_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

Brinkley: As we all know in 3 days , people in 14 states from all around the nation will be voting for whom they think should be their party's nominee. The states that will be voting will be Vermont, New Jersey and Deleware in the North East; Illinois , Wisconsin and Minnesota in the Midwest; Texas, Georgia , Kentucky and Arkansas in the South; the Dakotas in the Plains, ; Montana, Arizona in the West. To help voters make a decision, all 3 of the networks have decided to hold a Republican Primary debate which we just saw tonight, and a Democratic one tommorow night.

Now lets look back at some of the key moments in tonight's debate

Key Moment 1:

Walters: Governor Reagan and Secretary Nixon, a poll shows most Americans think both of you are running on similar platforms, so why should they choose one of you over the other. Governor Rockefeller, you have criticized many Republican policies over the past 7 years many of which are popular among Republican voters so why should you be the nominee of their party. Governor Reagan you first

Reagan: Well Barbara, while I respect Secretary Nixon a lot that statement is not true. I have been an advocate for conservative causes ever since I officially joined politics in 1964 , including many which were more unpopular back in those days then they are today. In 1964 I supported President Goldwater's candidacy for President, while Secretary Nixon did not support him and as Governor of the largest state in the union: I implemented  welfare reform , froze government spending and returned power from Sacramento back to the people of California so not only have I been an advocate for conservative policies but I have a record of getting conservative policies implemented again.

Nixon: The main reason is I am the most experienced candidate in the race as I have served in both the House and Senate, as Vice President and Secretary of State . Not only do I have the most experience out of anyone in the race , I have the widest set of experience of anyone in the race which will be very important when it comes in passing and implementing policies. My experience as Vice President and a member of both the House and Senate will help make it easier for more conservative policy ideas of passing Congress and my experience as Secretary of State gives me critical foreign policy experience as well . As for Governor's Reagan assertion that he has been a longer Conservative than me, remember he wasn't always a Republican so his views just like mine evolved over the years and I have also been a strong advocate for conservativism over the past decade as well. In 1966 I supported Governor Reagan in the primary over George Christopher and in 1970 I supported the Conservative Jack Kemp over the incumbent Charles Goodell in the primary as well. So I have a strong record of supporting conservative values as well

Reagan: Well while its true that Secretary Nixon might have more experience on paper than I do , I believe my experience as Governor of California gives me more relevant experience.  A Governor is the head of their state's executive branch and deals with many of the same departments a President deals with just at the state level, and California is the largest state in the union and if it were its own nation would be the 7th largest economy in the world. So while Secretary Nixon has an impressive resume, I think mine directly relates to the job of President more than his does.

Walters: Ok now lets let Governor Rockefeller answer his question

Rockefeller: The answer is simple Barbara and that is one I am not running for the President of the Republican Party but the President of the United States of America which means I will be the President of people across the political spectrum. Also second, is my views are where this great party was from the mid 1940s till the mid 1960s and I am trying to help the party return to its roots. I have been criticized heavily for my opposition to the President's use of Taft-Hartley but remember both Presidents Teddy Roosevelt and President Eisenhower were pro-union as well, two presidents well regarded by history today. Lastly is that most polls show that Liberals likely will hold a majority in Congress this year and if you want things to get done you have to govern from a pragmatic and not ideological way.

Reagan: Governor Rockefeller, on your last point I have dealt with a liberal legislature before during my first term as Governor and much of the conservative policy goals we passed were passed through that legislature so it is very possible for conservatives to win policy-wise even if the liberals hold a majority you just need to have a strong grassroots support ready to back you up during those fights and the only way to do that is by showing them that you are willing to fight for these reforms as well.

Rockefeller: California in general is more Conservative than the nation as a whole, so its easier to use bully pulpit there then it will be nationally.  

Key Moment 2:

Rather: As we all know, inflation remains at a high level of 5.8% and unemployment at 6.6% so if any of you are elected President, what would be some of the actions you would take to help the economy return to the levels it was pre-recession.

Nixon: Dan, I believe right now we are on the right track and if you look at a graph it shows a clear trend of both inflation and unemployment are going down so I believe it would be foolish for us to change course. That doesnt mean we cant do anything though, and some actions I would take is one , I believe we need to improve relations with our friends in the middle east to increase the supply of energy and lower prices .

Reagan: I agree with Secretary Nixon, the first thing we need to do is make sure to stay the course because we are moving in the right direction and the economic numbers shows that but I think we need to do more than that. I would push hard to pass regulatory reform, as while our regulatory state is less stifling than it was 7 years ago , it is still stifling and that needs to change. Right now we have a system where bureaucrats are essentially able to pass defacto laws through their regulatory power, and the fact is unlike Congress who if they pass bad laws can be punished by the voters for it these bureaucrats cant be so for that reason their power must be reduced. We also need to reform our welfare system to make it more efficient and expand free trade but regulatory reform would be my first priority.

Rockefeller: While the data does show that the economy has improved over the past year, to say that things dont need to change is inaccurate and out of touch  as we just had one of the largest Coal Miner strikes in US history , and the largest city in America was ont he verge of bankruptcy. My answer though is first I would end the era of ideological rule and return to a more pragmatic style of governing where we want to keep government out of our lives as much as possible but at the same time recognize there are areas where the government must get involved in. So to help people throughout this nation the government will have to increase funding on programs such as Medicaid to ensure more Americans can have access to healthcare, and increase funding to education as education is an investment in our next generation.

As for the coal miner strike , I believe the government should not have taken sides but be a neutral arbitrator in negotiations.

Reagan: Governor Rockefeller, the law states clearly that strikes that threaten the national security of this threat are illegal, so invoking Taft-Hartley to break up the strike was not siding with business owners over labor, it was just simply the President enforcing the law

Key Moment 3:

Brokaw: Governor Rockefeller, you have criticized both Governor Reagan's and Secretary Nixon's rethroic on social issues so the question people want to know is why

Rockefeller: Well in Governor Reagan's case its simple, his record on social issues don't match his rhetoric. He has attacked me for being pro Choice on the Abortion issue, but the fact is as Governor of California he signed into law which legalized abortion to a far greater extent than even I support and while he claims he regrets it now, the fact is he did nothing about that issue in the 4 years the Republicans held both houses of the California legislature even though there are actions he could have taken which would been considered legal even after Roe vs Wade . So the main reason I have criticized the governor is that the issue was never a priority for him at any time in the 9 years he has been Governor but he still is attacking me over it.

Reagan: Listen I regret signing that bill into law, and the fact is I have tried to reverse it but we never had the numbers in the legislature to do so. I have made it clear that I am pro-life and believe abortion should be made illegal, but the fact is right now there is nothing any of us on stage can do anything about it because the Supreme Court has made a decision. Now the fact is Governor Rockefeller appointed more liberal judges on the court in New York and over the years when asked his opinion on who should be nominated to the US Supreme Court , named mostly liberal judges .

Rockefeller: Most of the people I nominated were moderates and that's what I would continue to do as the President of the United States. As for Governor Reagan's answer, the fact is if he cared so deeply about the issue as he now claims, it would have been on the top of his agenda during his 2nd term as Governor but it wasnt . Now you also asked me the problem with Secretary Nixon's rhetoric and the fact is he deflects these questions by saying he supports letting the states decide .

Nixon: The 10th amendment has made it clear, that powers the constitution does not grant to the federal government or prohibit the states is reserved to the states and the people and the constitution has never said anything about abortion so that power should be reserved to the states .

Rockefeller: The people who opposed the civil rights act said the same exact thing

Nixon: With the difference being, that Jim Crow clearly violated the 14th amendment of the constitution so civil rights enforcement is clearly the job of the federal government while the abortion issue is not.

Andrew Yang 2024
Captain Thunder
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -1.39

« Reply #305 on: October 07, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »

What would Goldwater's legacy look like?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #306 on: October 08, 2019, 12:29:42 AM »

What would Goldwater's legacy look like?

Long Term will take time to say as a President's long term legacy cant be determined until years after they leave office .

I cant reveal what it will be because that would spoil the TL .

Short Term though is he changed the tax structure , and the way money of programs are spent from direct to more block grants. Foreign policy he ended Vietnam, and signed the SALT treaty and the China visit.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #307 on: October 08, 2019, 02:11:05 AM »

Summary of the Democratic Primary Debate:

Source:https://s.abcnews.com/images/Politics/empty-debate-stage-gty-jef-190627_hpMain_4x3_992.jpg

Brinkley : Lets look at some key moments in this Democratic debate

Key Moment 1:

Walters: If any of you are elected next November what are some actions you would take to help with the economic recovery. You first Senator Hollings

Hollings: There are three major things we need to do immediately, one is reversing his cuts to many programs many working-class families rely on, we can restore power to the unions in our nation that have been gutted over the past 7 years and also expand medicaid to help poor Americans get access to helathcare, and this would help our economy as a whole because then they can use more of the money they earn on the economy. To pay for this I beleive we should repeal some of the tax cuts the President passed on the top 10% of earners in this nation.

Peden: I think we all here agree with Senator Hollings that expanding programs such as Medicaid and making unions strong again is the right thing to do but we need to more. It is just not enough in my mind to return to where we were in 1968 but build upon the great society as well and I propose that we expand the Medicare program to include more Americans as well. Also we must under all circumstances repeal Taft-Hartley because that is the piece of legisaltion that allowed the President to break up the Coal Miner strike and attack unions all across the nation in general and unless we repeal that law there will be a President in the future who uses it for similar purposes. Unions are what built the middle class and as President I will fight every day to make sure that they remain a powerful in this country despite all the efforts the President and the Republican Party has made to destroy them.

Jackson: Well I agree we do reverse much of the President Goldwater's actions when it comes to unions as they have made the middle class of our nation weaker. Second is I would propose a bill that would cut taxes for poor and working class families while temporarily raising them for wealthy Americans to increase the amount of disposable income of more Americans and ask people who are already doing well to temporarily pay more until our economy can become strong again as a strong economy helps everyone in this nation. I also would work with our allies to increase the amount of energy imports into our nation so we can lower the price of energy as well which will help improve our economy as well

Church: I definitely agree with Senator Peden that we must repeal Taft-Hartley because that is the bill that has allowed the President to do what he has to our unions. When it comes to energy I think it is a mix of things, yes we will have to increase energy imports in the short term but in the long term that is not the solution because there is a finite amount of energy resources. So in the long run we need to research Alternative Energy and if research shows it to viable we need to invest in it because the fact to increase the amount of energy resources we have which then will result in lower prices in the long run. We also will need to find ways to maintain a high standard of living while using less energy which will lower aggregate demand which then will make for example buying gas easier for people who need to use their car a lot.

Now some other areas where I believe is I think we need to go to a universal healthcare system as lowering the costs of healthcare for people will mean that people  have more to spend on other things which will help our economy grow.

Key Moment 2:

Rather: The issue of busing hasnt been brought up much in this campaign, but if any of you are elected what would you do to reduce the racial gap in our schools

Jackson: Well the first thing we need to recognize is that court-mandated busing has been a failed policy and we need to come up with new ways to reduce the racial gap. What needs to happen in my mind is that we need to come up with a more efficient way to set concrete school boundaries,  as busing kids to much further schools is not fair for our kids.

Peden: Listen I also agree that busing hasn't been implemented correctly but we need to still do it to integrate our schools

Jackson: Listen I agree with that 100% and as President if any school district implements a policy that designates schools as Whites-Only or Blacks-Only , my administration will crack down on that school district swiftly to stop them from implementing our policies. That is not the issue, the issue is that we are busing kids miles to schools which are much further than their most nearest school and that is wrong.

Rather: How would you respond to Critics of your plan who say it would create de facto segregation because while a city itslef may be diverse the different areas in the city itself may not be

Jackson:It is not the job of the government to tell people where or where not they can live and its not our job to punish or reward them either for it. What can be done though to reduce to the racial gap in our schools is to increase teacher pay across the board so we can attract the best and brightest to the job and then once we do that we can evenly distribute these teachers across the district to make sure no one school has a lower quality of teachers than another school

Hollings: I agree with what Senate Jackson just said about busing but I would add to the solution that we need to provide more college readiness resources to all our schools because more and more jobs now require a college education and that trend will continue. I believe the main issue facing our education system going into the future is how to reform it to prepare the next generation for a changing world and that will affect people of all races equally.

Church: I disagree with Senator Hollings and Senator Jackson about busing because busing is one of the best way we can achieve integration. Now busing hasn't been implemented correctly, and if I am president the practice of sending kids far away from home to school as that has been counterproductive but busing must be done to integrate our schools. Now Senator Jackson and Senator Hollings are correct in that we have to increase teacher pay to attract the best and brightest to the field and give better preparation for a college education but that doesn't change the fact that opportunities have to remain the same, not result of course but opportunity yes.

Peden: I agree with Senator Church that although busing hasn't been handled correctly, the purpose behind is good and we should reform it rather than get rid of it. The first thing I would do as President is I would propose a law that would create a cabinet-level department for education so we can better help improve our education system all across the nation. To help reduce the racial gap , I would do more research into ways we can reduce the racial gap in our education system and implement solutions immediately as well

Key Moment 3:

Brokaw: Foreign Policy is one area where there has been pretty significant disagreement between the 4 of so you so if any of you are elected what would be your basic approach when it comes to the Cold War.

Church: I believe we need to negotiate with the Soviet Union not only when it comes to Arms Control treaties which are very important but also to reduce both our nation's involvement and their involvement with internal disputes in other nations. After decades of trying  war or coop d'etat its time for us to at least try a more diplomatic route because we know the current foreign policy hasnt mad us any safer

Jackson: I totally disagree with Senator Church here, remember without the US , both South Korea and South Vietnam would be under communist dictator rule today but it was thanks to our troops that both nations are free. It is a shame that we were not able to stop Fidel Castro from taking over in Cuba and the misery he has caused in that nation shows exactly why the US must stay vigilant against the thread of communism.

Church: Castro came to power due to our backing of another terrible leader Batista

Jackson: Batista was bad but Castro is far far worse

Church: Well I dont subscribe to the notion that we have to choose between being hawkish or being pacifist, the fact is  we need something in the middle. We do need to negotiate with the Soviets in terms of arms control and possibly reducing tensions between our nations but at the same time we obviously must stay vigilant against the threat of communism and not trust everything the Soviets say at face value.

Peden: I think the most important thing we can do is get not only the Soviets to agree with US to ban nuclear weapons but the entire world as well, as the fact is the prospect of nuclear war is the biggest threat to humanity and it would be great for humanity if the entire world got rid of them. While war is a terrible thing, sadly it likely cant be eliminated entirely but we can eliminate a nations ability to cause massive massive destruction with it. That should be by far the highest priority of any President

Brokaw: What are all of your thoughts on these two issues that have really divided Americans: Pardoning the Draft Dodgers and Panama. Please give quick answers

Jackson: I oppose pardoning the draft dodgers and I would not sign any treaty which would require us to give up Panama

Peden: I would support pardoning Draft Dodgers because while what they did was wrong its time to move on from Vietnam. On the issue of Panama , I think we have to come an see how negotiations go

Hollings: While I would not grant amnesty to the draft dodgers, I would ask my attorney general to look at each case individually and we would decide whether to pardon a draft dodger or not pardon on a case to case basis. On Panama, I believe it would be foolish for us to say anyhting without seeing how the talks go first.

Church: I would support granting amnesty to the draft dodgers because what we did in Vietnam was wrong especially the draft . On Panama, I could support a treaty which would give Panama control over the canal but I would have to see the treaty first before I would decide whether to support or oppose it

Key Moment 4:

Rather: This question will go to all 4 candidates, and my question is why would you be the most electable candidate the Democrats can nominate for a general election

Peden: I think I can perform really well in swing states like Ohio, Missouri and my home state of  Kentucky three states we need if we wanna win in November. I also think my candidacy will get a higher share of the female vote than past Democratic nominees got and since they are 50% of the electorate that would benefit us in a major way.

Church: I think My candidacy would lead to increased enthusiasm among the Democratic base, young voters and would win over anti-war independents and even some anti-war Republicans. Electorally I think our campaign would win the North West and pick up many electoral votes there which will be critical espically against Governor Reagan.

Jackson: I think my candidacy would perform really well among moderate voters turned of by the far right economic agenda of this President. Most of this nation wants pragmatists and I believe I will be the best candidate the Democrat can nominate to utilize that coalition in the best way possible. Electorally I think we would win the Northwest which would make a Republican's path to 270 harder

Hollings: I believe I can win back many Southern Voters who have left the party over the years which can help us rebuild the Solid South. The South and North East along with a huge part of the Midwest would make our coalition almost unbeatable and that is why I believe I would be the most electable candidate

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #308 on: October 08, 2019, 08:54:17 PM »

Primary Allocation Rules:

Chancellor: In the General Election when we project someone wins a state , the winner takes all the states electoral votes with the lone exception of Maine but in the primaries the way allocation done is different. For the Democrats its simple, every state uses a proportional system while Republicans have 3 different ways of allocating Delegates: Winner Take All, Hybrid System where some delegates are awared to state wide winner while some are awared to winner of each district and some states use a proportional. So we will put up on screen which state uses which method for tommorow's primary

Winner Take All: Delaware, Wisconsin, Montana, Arizona,
Hybrid: New Jersey, Texas, Georgia, Illinois
Proportional: Vermont, Kentucky, Arkansas, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota

Reagan comes out the winner on Super Tuesday winning 9 of 14 contests while results on Democratic Side are much more divided.

Brinkley: Tonight , people in 14 states voted for whom they thought their party nominee should be and here are the results. First for the Republicans

Republicans:

Vermont :Rockefeller 61% 12 Delegates, Nixon 27% 6 Delegates, Reagan 12% 0 Delegates
New Jersey: Nixon 35% 40 Delegates, Rockefeller 33% 15 Delegates, Reagan 32% 12 Delegates
Delaware: Rockefeller 43% 17 Delegates, Nixon 36% , Reagan 21%
Kentucky: Nixon 42% 16 Delegates, Reagan 36% 13 Delegates, Rockefeller 22% 8 Delegates
Georgia: Reagan: 58% 40 Delegates , Nixon: 30% 8 Delegates, Rockefeller: 12%
Arkansas: Reagan 37% 10 Delegates, Rockefeller 32% 9 Delegates, Nixon 31% 8 Delegates
Texas: Reagan 63% 92 Delegates, Nixon: 25% 8 Delegates, Rockefeller 12%
Wisconsin: Reagan 40% 41 Delegates, Nixon 36%, Rockefeller 24%
Illinois: Reagan 43% 61 Delegates, Nixon 38% 40 Delegates, Rockefeller 19%
Minnesota: Nixon 41% 17 Delegates , Reagan 32% 13 Delegates, Rockefeller 27% 12 Delegates
North Dakota: Reagan: 66% 12 Delegates , Nixon 30% 5 Delegates, Rockefeller 4% 1 Delegate
South Dakota: Reagan 65% 13 Delegates, Nixon 31% 6 Delegates, Rockefeller 4% 1 Delegate
Montana: Reagan 60% 20 Delegates , Nixon : 29%, Rockefeller 21%
Arizona: Reagan 70% 29 Delegates, Nixon 24%, Rockefeller 21%

Chancellor: With the exception of Kentucky and Minnesota , Governor Reagan dominated the night outside the North East even winning the tossup states of  Illinois and Wisconsin .

Brinkley: Reagan margins in the Collar Counties and the WOW Counties pretty much were what drived his victory tonight in those two states and with the vote in Cook County divided by Nixon and Rockefeller and the same with Milwaukee County in Wisconsin it meant that Reagan was able to ride to victory with his strength in the suburbs. The biggest win for Reagan tonight was not surprisingly in Texas where he won 22 out of the 24 districts in that state which netted him 92 delegates out of 100 in that state.

Chancellor: Yup and now many people in the Nixon camp are basically saying that Rockefeller should drop out and are saying at this point he doesnt have a shot of winning the nomination but could act as the spolier in many states. Here is the overall map for the GOP primary now

California Governor Ronald Reagan 473 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 237 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 110 Delegates

Brinkley: Now lets look at the democrats

Democrats:

Vermont: Church 62% 11 Delegates, Jackson 19% 3 Delegates, Peden 15% 2 Delegates, Hollings 4% 1 Delegates
New Jersey: Jackson 45% 43 Delegates, Hollings 24% 23 Delegates, Church 20% 19 Delegates, Peden 11% 10 Delegates
Deleware: Jackson 52% 9 Delegates, Hollings 23% 4 Delegates, Church 17% 3 Delegates, Peden 8% 1 Delegate
Kentucky: Peden 50% 25 Delegates, Hollings 37 % 19 Delegates, Church 8% 4 Delegates, Jackson 5% 2 Delegates
Georgia: Hollings: 59% 40 Delegates, Jackson 13% 13 Delegates, Church 14% 9 Delegates, Peden 8% 5 Delegates
Arkansas: Hollings 66% 22 Delegates, Church 17% 6 Delegates, Jackson 11% 4 Delegates, Peden 6% 1 Delegate
Texas: Hollings 48% 70 Delegates, Jackson 40% 58 Delegates , Church 7% 10 Delegates , Peden 5% 7 Delegates
Wisconsin Jackson 31% 19 Delegates, Church 29% 18 Delegates, Hollings: 27% 17 Delegates, Peden 13% 8 Delegates
Illionis: Hollings 37% 54 Delegates, Jackson 32% 46 Delegates , Church 19% 28 Delegates, Peden 12% 17 Delegates
Minnesota: Church: 44% 25 Delegates , Jackson 30% 17 Delegates, Hollings 22% 12 Delegates, Peden 14% 8 Delegates
North Dakota: Church 53% 9 Delegates, Hollings 40% 7 Delegates, Jackson 4% 1 Delegate, Peden 3%
South Dakota: Church 54% 12 Delegates, Hollings 36% 8 Delegates, Jackson 6% 1 Delegate, Peden 4% 1 Delegate
Montana: Church: 49% 11 Delegates, Jackson 37% 8 Delegates, Hollings 11% 2 Delegate, Peden 3% 1 Delegate
Arizona: Jackson 53% 17 Delegates, Hollings 38% 13 Delegates, Church 8% 2 Delegates, Peden 1%

Chancellor: Right now I would say the Democratic nomination is completely up in the air

Brinkley: I agree we probably wont know until at least till June, maybe it might not be decided till the convention either. Ok now lets show you the map as well

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 422 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 284 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 230 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 111  Delegates

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2019, 01:56:59 AM »

Senate Races in 4 largest states all shaping up to be tightly contested in the Fall

Brinkley: In this year's November election not only will you be deciding the next President but the makeup of Congress as well and this year in all 4 of the largest states: California, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas are all expected to have close and tightly contested races which means we could see one of the most expensive senate seasons yet.

In California Senator George Murphy leaving the seat open and right now the frontrunners on the Republican side are Professor S.I Hayakawa , San Diego Mayor Pete Wilson and the Former Interior Secretary Edwin Reinecke. On the Democratic Side the frontrunners are Former San Francisco Mayor Joseph Alioto , Congressman George Brown Jr and Congressman Glenn Anderson.

In New York a state largely considered liberal currently is represented by Conservative Jack Kemp which is why many Democrats are optimistic about winning that seat. Currently the frontrunners for the senate seat is Representative Ed Koch, and Former New York City Mayor John Lindsay.

In Pennsylvania, a state Senator Hugh Scott is retiring and the current frontrunners to replace his seat are Phildephphia DA Arlen Specter  , Congressman Bud Shuster and on the Democratic Side are Governor Milton Shapp is running unopposed.

In Texas a state that has trended Republican over the past 10 years is currently represented by Senator Lloyd Bentsen and currently his potential Republican challangers are former Governor Paul Eggers anf Former Congressman Bob Price.

Chancellor: Given how expensive running in one of these states are I wonder if that will hurt the parties in more of the smaller states.

Reagan and Hollings take firm control of respective primary races with sweeps on Super Tuesday II. Peden drops out of race as a result of primary:

Source: https://katehon.com/agenda/super-tuesday-2-last-chance-trumps-competitors

Brinkley: The Frontrunners in both the Republican and Democratic field, Governor Reagan and Senator Hollings had great nights today with a sweep of today's primaries. Here are the results

Republicans:

Missouri: Reagan 51% 33 Delegates, Nixon 38% 16 Delegates, Rockefeller 11%
Indiana: Reagan 62% 54 Delegates , Nixon 31%, Rockefeller 7%
Ohio: Reagan 43% 61 Delegates, Nixon 42% 33 Delegates, Rockefeller 15% 3 Delegates
Virginia: Reagan 56% 29 Delegates, Nixon 29% 15 Delegates, Rockefeller 15% 7 Delegates
Florida: Reagan 62% 58 Delegates, Nixon 30% 8 Delegates, Rockefeller 8%

Chancellor: In my opinion this race  barring a miracle is pretty much over, and Reagan is going to be the Republican nominee . Yes the fact that there were 28 Winner Take all Delegates in Ohio pretty big delegate win in Ohio despite a very slim popular vote victory but the rules are rules. If you look a the map you still have 4 southern states and nearly the entire West still to come in and if you give Reagan say 137 Delegates in California which assumes he loses 10 districts in the primary and then he needs 285 Delegates left , then give him 60% in the remaining 4 Southern states then all he needs is 180 Delegates and then if he gets 60% out in the rest of the West(Not counting Hawaii) and that nets him another 166 Delegates meaning he will only need 14 Delegates left. Then you have states like Hawaii, Massachusetts which total 62 Delegates which both use proportional allocation in which case he only needs 23% of the vote in both those states to get those 14 Delegates.

This by the way is giving a close to best case scenario for the Non-Reagan candidates, as right now polls in California show Reagan winning 2/3 of the vote which experts say he would win all by 2-3 districts which then would give him at the very least 158 Delegates which means he would get the nomination without winning a single more Delegate in the North East and its likely he wins more than 60% in the South and West too so the math becomes even more harder for Nixon or Rockefeller at this point.

Brinkley: The numbers are hard to dispute but polling can change and like people say its not over till its over so if you're in the Nixon or Rockefeller camp you dont have to give up and if you're in the Reagan camp you cant get to overconfident right now.

California Governor Ronald Reagan 708 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 309 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 120 Delegates

Brinkley: Now lets look at the results for the Democrats

Democrats:

Missouri: Hollings 56% 38 Delegates, Church 19% 13 Delegates, Jackson 18% 12 Delegates, Peden 7% 4 Delegates
Indiana: Hollings 37% 27 Delegates, Church 35% 26 Delegates, Jackson 24% 17 Delegates, Peden 4 % 3 Delegates
Ohio: Hollings: 43% 60 Delegates, Jackson 25% 35 Delegates, Church 20% 28 Delegates, Peden 12% 17 Delegates
Virginia: Hollings 62% 41 Delegates, Jackson 27% 18 Delegates, Church 7% 5 Delegates, Peden 4% 2 Delegates
Florida: Hollings 60% 57 Delegates, Jackson 31% 29 Delegates, Church 6% 6 Delegates, Peden 5% 5 Delegates

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 645 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 395 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 308 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 142  Delegates

Brinkley: Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden dropped out of the race after today's results calling it an extraordinary campaign, saying she will forever be grateful at the level of support she got in the campaign. She also said when asked she wouldnt endorse anyone till the convention and if there isnt a winner by done she will endorse the candidate with the most delegates

Chancellor: Well that very likely will be Senator Hollings who currently is favored in New York and Pennslyvania in the polls which should add to his lead along with the South. Now the West may be trouble for him but with Jackson and Church dividing the vote there it likely wont be enough to overtake him and its still very possible Hollings wins the nomination on the first ballor

Brinkley: Add in the fact that Hollings is closer to Senator Jackson and Bayh  on the issues then they are to each other that means its more likely in a contested convention he gets their ballots which propels him to the nomination
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #310 on: October 14, 2019, 12:30:15 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2019, 01:18:28 PM by Old School Republican »

Unemployment rate drops to 6%

Source: https://i.investopedia.com/content/video/unemployment_rate_/unemploymentrate.png
Brinkley: The Unemployment rate has dropped to 6% at the end of March which is the lowest it has been in 18 months. During the recession, the unemployment rate topped out at 8% but over the past year has steadily dropped but even then polls show 54% of Americans still consider the economy to be in not good or poor shape.

Reagan sweeps primaries between Super Tuesday 2 and Super Tuesday 3 while Hollings wins a majority. Nixon drops out and endorses Reagan

Source: https://miro.medium.com/max/1940/1*2QpYiWA1T2PZq78Vc4t4sA.jpeg

Brinkley: As you know tomorrow will be a huge day with the rest of the North East holding their primary but before we get to that let us first recap the primaries from this past month.

Republicans:

North Carolina: Reagan 62% 34 Delegates , Nixon 30% 16 Delegates, Rockefeller 8% 4 Delegates
Tennessee: Reagan 51% 22 Delegates, Nixon 38% 16 Delegates, Rockefeller 11% 5 Delegates
Alabama: Reagan 67% 37 Delegates, Nixon 29%, Rockefeller 4%
Louisiana: Reagan 61% 37 Delegates, Nixon 32% 4 Delegates, Rockefeller 7%
Colorado: Reagan 63% 31 Delegates, Nixon 25%, Rockefeller 12%
Utah: Reagan 78% 20 Delegates, Nixon 16%, Rockefeller 6%

California Governor Ronald Reagan 889 Delegates
Former Secretary of State Richard Nixon 345 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 129 Delegates

Brinkley: As a result of these primaries , Secretary Nixon dropped out he will be endorsing Governor Reagan. Now people may ask does that mean Governor Reagan will be the presumptive nominee and the answer is no because on the first ballot , Nixon's delegates will be still pledged to vote for Secretary Nixon and not Reagan.

Democrats:

North Carolina: Hollings 68% 50 Delegates, Jackson 20% 15 Delegates, Church 12% 8 Delegates
Tennessee: Holllings 66% 37 Delegates, Church 18% 10 Delegates, Jackson 16% 9 Delegates
Alabama: Hollings 74% 37 Delegates, Jackson 19% 9 Delegates, Church 7% 4 Delegates
Louisiana: Hollings 71% 40 Delegates, Jackson 17% 9 Delegates, Church: 12% 7 Delegates

Colorado: Church 38% 15 Delegates, Jackson 35% 13 Delegates, Hollings 27% 10 Delegates
Utah: Jackson 49% 11 Delegates, Hollings 26% 6 Delegates , Church 25% 5 Delegates

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 825 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 461 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 357 Delegates

Chancellor: In my opinion, tommorow's primary will be critical here because if Hollings does well tomorrow for all sense and purposes it very much well could be over because unlike the Republican primary the Democrats have this type of ballot rules. On the first ballot its the same but there is also something called first ballot with switches where the dropped out candidates delegates go to whomever they endorse and with Senator Peden saying she will endorse the delegate leader , if you then add her delegates to Senator Hollings, Hollings should have enough to win the nomination.

morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #311 on: October 14, 2019, 07:58:20 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2019, 08:02:24 PM by morgankingsley »

If you are willing to, I would like to know some details about Wallace in his Dixie run in 64 specifically.

First: I understand him getting his irl states, and while I understand his SC victory is due to a civil rights Johnson and Goldwater not running, I do have to wonder how he broke the sixty percent mark there without Thurmond as his running mate? Wouldn't making SC fifty and Arkansas sixty make more sense with Orval as the running mate?

Second: Was he not on the ballot in the non southern states like at all? Because despite his firey speech, Wallace was a rather popular figure to a large portion of America, as indicated with him getting nearly fifteen percent of the vote in sixty eight. I get why he would only have seven percent if he only ran in the south, but if he was more nation wide, I would still imagine him getting perhaps ten percent of the vote.

Third: Why did Wallace get so close in VA, TN, and NC, moderately close in FL, and absolutely crushed in TX? I get that Johnson was the incumbent, but I would imagine Wallace still winning ten to twelve percent in TX even with that in mind.

Fourth and final: If you do not mind, although I would understand if you say no to this, due to the time it would take, but would you be willing to break down the eleven Solid South states by exact percentage of the three candidates? Again, I would get it if you say no, but if I wanted to do a timeline on a relatively similiar POD, it could be a good starting zone to know what I am doing.

Also, not a question, but an observation: But I think this makes Wallace the only third party candidate in history to win every single state that he won by an absolute majority of the vote, and not just a pularity in this timeline. Which is a nice little piece of trivia.

Thank you for your time, if you answer any or all of these questions, and even more thank you for your time for your hard work on making one of the moset detailed timelines in recent Atlas memory

Edit: I just saw that he actually got seven percent of the vote, not six.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #312 on: October 14, 2019, 11:44:20 PM »

If you are willing to, I would like to know some details about Wallace in his Dixie run in 64 specifically.

First: I understand him getting his irl states, and while I understand his SC victory is due to a civil rights Johnson and Goldwater not running, I do have to wonder how he broke the sixty percent mark there without Thurmond as his running mate? Wouldn't making SC fifty and Arkansas sixty make more sense with Orval as the running mate?

Second: Was he not on the ballot in the non southern states like at all? Because despite his firey speech, Wallace was a rather popular figure to a large portion of America, as indicated with him getting nearly fifteen percent of the vote in sixty eight. I get why he would only have seven percent if he only ran in the south, but if he was more nation wide, I would still imagine him getting perhaps ten percent of the vote.

Third: Why did Wallace get so close in VA, TN, and NC, moderately close in FL, and absolutely crushed in TX? I get that Johnson was the incumbent, but I would imagine Wallace still winning ten to twelve percent in TX even with that in mind.

Fourth and final: If you do not mind, although I would understand if you say no to this, due to the time it would take, but would you be willing to break down the eleven Solid South states by exact percentage of the three candidates? Again, I would get it if you say no, but if I wanted to do a timeline on a relatively similiar POD, it could be a good starting zone to know what I am doing.

Also, not a question, but an observation: But I think this makes Wallace the only third party candidate in history to win every single state that he won by an absolute majority of the vote, and not just a pularity in this timeline. Which is a nice little piece of trivia.

Thank you for your time, if you answer any or all of these questions, and even more thank you for your time for your hard work on making one of the moset detailed timelines in recent Atlas memory

1. I made an error with Arkansas and South Carolina. Make it that Wallace wins 50% in SC and 60% in AR .

2. 1968 and 1972 America though was much different than 1964 America. The economy was far better in general in 1964 than either 1968 and 1972, Vietnam hadnt become unpopular yet, and counter culture was just beginning to take off. Due to this Wallace runs a much more Southern Oriented Campaign than he did in OTL.

3. Wallace did get around 10-12% in TX its just that Rockefeller did horrible there getting less than 30% in that state due to LBJ popularity in that state . Remember Goldwater only got 36.5% that year in TX and Rocky is an even worse fit for TX than Goldwater and much of Goldwater's vote in this case goes to Wallace as does some of LBJ's. So LBJ wins a little more than 60% in TX, Rocky gets around 28-29%% and Wallace gets around 10-12%

4. Sorry I dont have the time to do that right now, but if you wait till the weekend , I may have the time to do so. No guarantees though as I am getting more and more and busy studying due to College.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #313 on: October 14, 2019, 11:48:52 PM »

1. I made an error with Arkansas and South Carolina. Make it that Wallace wins 50% in SC and 60% in AR .

2. 1968 and 1972 America though was much different than 1964 America. The economy was far better in general in 1964 than either 1968 and 1972, Vietnam hadnt become unpopular yet, and counter culture was just beginning to take off. Due to this Wallace runs a much more Southern Oriented Campaign than he did in OTL.

3. Wallace did get around 10-12% in TX its just that Rockefeller did horrible there getting less than 30% in that state due to LBJ popularity in that state . Remember Goldwater only got 36.5% that year in TX and Rocky is an even worse fit for TX than Goldwater and much of Goldwater's vote in this case goes to Wallace as does some of LBJ's. So LBJ wins a little more than 60% in TX, Rocky gets around 28-29%% and Wallace gets around 10-12%

4. Sorry I dont have the time to do that right now, but if you wait till the weekend , I may have the time to do so. No guarantees though as I am getting more and more and busy studying due to College.

Thank you very much for the responses! Very much appreciated and clears many things up
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #314 on: October 14, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »

Thank you very much for the responses! Very much appreciated and clears many things up

You're Welcome
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #315 on: October 14, 2019, 11:56:10 PM »

And now that I think about it, I can probably get an approximation for the states that I brought up in number four. I might not get the exact percentages correct, but I think that I will get close enough to the correct numbers that I can be relatively confident in my guesses. I will wait a couple of weeks though before I do that, since I do understand how hard college can be, especially since I am in my penultimate term myself
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #316 on: October 15, 2019, 02:40:44 AM »

Of course, in real life, Reagan's brand of conservatism was strengthened thanks to Barry Goldwater's 1964 campaign. But it would be even further reinforced if Goldwater is President.

Anyway, Reagan '76!
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #317 on: October 15, 2019, 12:41:50 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2019, 12:46:15 PM by Old School Republican »

Of course, in real life, Reagan's brand of conservatism was strengthened thanks to Barry Goldwater's 1964 campaign. But it would be even further reinforced if Goldwater is President.

Anyway, Reagan '76!

Yup and after 8 years of Goldwater , the Republican establishment would be very supportive of the conservative wing as well(which in OTL they didnt do until Reagan won). This is why Nixon basically ran as a Goldwater style conservative in his 1976 run and Ford has been pushing Goldwater's agenda as much as he possibly can through congress(Though with Liberal Democrats controlling both houses that job has become much harder).

It still benefits Reagan though because of the fact that he supported Goldwater in 1964 over Rocky , ran as a Conservative in 1966 and due to the fact he is the Governor of California makes him the 2nd most prominent conservative in the nation behind Goldwater

Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #318 on: October 15, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »

I'll vote Hollings. Sorry, but I'll always, always, despise Fake Conservative Ronnie Raygun and his idiotic VP choice George "voodoo" Bush Sr.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #319 on: October 16, 2019, 12:58:28 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2020, 01:20:23 PM by Old School Republican »

Reagan wins Pennsylvania and Maryland on Super Tuesday III while Rockefeller wins New York and rest of North East States on Board. On Democratic Side Hollings wins Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland while Jackson wins Massachusetts, DC and Church wins Maine, Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Brinkley: Now lets recap the night for all of you guys, first with the Republicans

Republicans

Washington DC: Rockefeller 73% 14 Delegates, Reagan 27%
Maryland: Reagan 58% 35 Delegates, Rockefeller 42% 8 Delegates
Pennsylvania: Reagan 53% 55 Delegates , Rockefeller 47% 48 Delegates

New York: Rockefeller 65% 133 Delegates, Reagan 35% 21 Delegates
Connecticut: Rockefeller 56% 25 Delegates , Reagan 44% 10 Delegates
Rhode Island: Rockefeller 63% 19 Delegates , Reagan 37%
Massachusetts : Rockefeller 55% 31 Delegates , Reagan 45% 12 Delegates
Maine: Rockefeller 61% 12 Delegates, Reagan 39% 8 Delegates

California Governor Ronald Reagan 1030 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 419 Delegates

Chancellor: I think Reagan's win in Pennsylvania sealed the deal, as now California let alone the rest of the west will put him over the magic number. The reason we are told he won in Pennsylvania we can in this poll when we asked voters how they would have voted if Secretary Nixon remained and we got that around 37% would go to Governor Rockefeller, 33% to Governor Reagan and 30% to Secretary Nixon and polls show that 2/3 of Nixon's supporters voted for Reagan tonight and more than half of them said that Mr.Nixon's endorsement made the difference

Brinkley: Yup and we are told Reagan won primary on strength in rural areas in Pennsylvania and a strong showing in the Philli suburbs while Nelson Rockefeller was strong in the two main urban areas of Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh along with SW PA and while that is usually enough if this was a general election the Republican base is more suburban and rural than the state as a whole thus more conservative

Chancellor: lets now look at the results of the Democratic Primary:

Democrats:

Washington DC: Jackson 57% 10 Delegates, Hollings 29% 5 Delegates, Church 14% 2 Delegates
Maryland: Hollings 56% 31 Delegates , Jackson 31% 17 Delegates, Church 12% 8 Delegates
Pennsylvania: Hollings 44% 66 Delegates, Jackson 34% 51 Delegates, Church 22% 33 Delegates
New York: Hollings 43% 98 Delegates, Jackson 38% 87 Delegates, Church 19% 44 Delegates

Connecticut: Church 41% 18 Delegates , Jackson 30% 14 Delegates, Hollings 29% 13 Delegates
Rhode Island: Church 54% 12 Delegates, Jackson 28% 6 Delegates , Hollings 18% 4 Delegates

Massachusetts : Jackson 51% 40 Delegates, Church 28% 22 Delegates, Hollings 21% 16 Delegates
Maine: Church: 53% 12 Delegates, Jackson 30% 7 Delegates, Hollings 17% 3 Delegates

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 1061 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 693 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 508 Delegates

Chancellor: While numbers wise it may look like it will go to a contested convention what is sure now is Senator Hollings will be the leader entering the convention and with Senator Peden announcing she will support whomever has the delegate lead entering the convention, and Governor Wallace and Governor Sanford already announced that they would support Hollings the accurate number of delegates that Senator Hollings has , will be at 1238 Delegates meaning he currently is 267 delegates short of the nomination.

Brinkley: I think California will be key , California will decide whether the convention will be contested or not

Congressman John Anderson announces third party bid for White House

Source: https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/la-me-john-anderson-2050-story.html

Anderson : Thank You , Thank You. For the past 12 years our nation has seen our post war economic boom come to an end and our economy stagnant, our nation get more and more divided , and politicians from both sides who care more about ideology then governing this nation in a pragmatic manner. While over the past 12 years I tried to work within the Republican party by supporting Governor Romney in 68 and Governor Rockefeller this time, its clear that is not the direction the party wants to go in, and while they have all the rights in the world to choose that path it doenst mean everyone who used to support the party before these changes has to endorse that path either.

For that reason I have decided to run for President because our nation needs a pragmatic leader outside both parties . Thank You May God Bless you , may god Bless America

Brinkley: Our current polling shows Congressman Anderson getting around 5% of the vote with Governor Reagan getting 43% and Senator Hollings getting 45%. In a two way race both Reagan and Hollings are tied at 46% a piece
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #320 on: October 16, 2019, 02:50:25 PM »

Guessing Anderson will do better than real life but no states
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #321 on: October 17, 2019, 04:40:21 PM »

Ronald Reagan wins Republican Nomination after dominating performance in the 6 Western Primaries which puts him over the top in the delegate count. Rockefeller drops out after result of primary, and President Goldwater endorses Reagan . On Democratic Side , all 3 candidates win 2 states a piece .

Source: https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/nov/17/excerpts-from-the-speech-delivered-by-ronald-reaga/

Brinkley: After dominating the 6 western primaries held this month, Governor Reagan crossed the 1130 delegate threshold required for a candidate to win the Republican Nomination so NBC News can officially project that Ronald Wilson Reagan will be the presumptive Republican nominee. As a result of these primaries , Governor Rockefeller dropped out of the race, and President Goldwater endorsed Reagan

Republicans:

Oklahoma: Reagan 81% 36 Delegates , Rockefeller 19%
Kansas: Reagan 77% 27 Delegates, Rockefeller 23% 7 Delegates
Idaho: Reagan 84% 19 Delegates , Rockefeller 16%
Washington: Reagan 61% 24 Delegates , Rockefeller 39% 14 Delegates
Oregon: Reagan 59% 18 Delegates, Rockefeller 41% 12 Delegates
Alaska: Reagan 74% 13 Delegates, Rockefeller 26% 4 Delegates

California Governor Ronald Reagan 1167 Delegates
Former New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller 456 Delegates

Brinkley: On the other hand for the Democrats , the results in this month primary was this

Democrats:
Oklahoma : Hollings 57% 26 Delegates, Church 31% 14 Delegates, Jackson 12% 5 Delegates
Kansas: Hollings 61% 24 Delegates, Jackson 26% 10 Delegates, Church 13% 5 Delegates

Idaho:  Church 73% 16 Delegates, Jackson 16% 4 Delegates, Hollings 11% 2 Delegates
Washington: Jackson 67% 34 Delegates, Church 24% 12 Delegates, Hollings 9% 4 Delegates
Oregon: Jackson 51% 17 Delegates, Church 36% 12 Delegates, Hollings 13% 5 Delegates

Alaska: Church 38% 7 Delegates, Hollings 36% 6 Delegates , Jackson 26% 4 Delegates

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 1128 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 767 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 574 Delegates
Kentucky Senator Katherine Peden 142  Delegates
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 14 Delegates 
South Dakota Senator George McGovern 13  Delegates

NBC's 1976 Election Special- Reagan's Vice President Selection

Brinkley: Now that Reagan has won the nomination here is a list of the possible names we believe that Governor Reagan will select as his running mate .

The Favorites:

Gerald Ford:

Strength: Brings legislative experience to the ticket and would help ticket in the Midwest

Weakness: Hasn't run for a statewide election, wouldnt help increase turnout among base voters

Pete Domenici:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/13/us/politics/pete-domenici-dead.html

Strengths: Would help energize conservative Western Base and guarantee Texas goes Republican

Weakness: Would not help ticket in critical areas such as South East and Midwest

Howard Baker:

Strengths: Is popular among all wings of party, would help ticket in South East and border states

Weaknesses: Would not help ticket in North East

Richard Schweiker:

Strengths: Would keep liberals in the party in the Republican camp, would make Pennsylvania competetive

Weaknesses: Could depress turnout among Conservatives, potentially hurt ticket in the South

John Tower:

Strengths: Would help ticket in the South, and help add foreign policy experience to ticket

Weaknesses: Could hurt ticket in Midwest and North East

Wildcards:

George HW Bush:

Strengths: Helps add foreign policy experience in ticket

Weaknesses: Has never won a state wide race before so could add very little to ticket geographically

Meldrim Thomson:

Strengths: Would help energize the conservative base, and help ticket in North East

Weaknesses: Lack of Experience could hurt ticket  and make him too much of a wildcard

Bob Dole:

Strengths: Could help ticket in Rural parts of Midwest

Weaknesses: Would not add anything to ticket when it comes to large battleground states
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #322 on: October 18, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »

Pete Domenici provides megacoattails, I see.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #323 on: October 18, 2019, 10:21:38 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2019, 10:25:43 AM by Old School Republican »

He would really only help the ticket in Texas and the South West , not in the Midwest or South East and downballot is hard to know.

If you are talking about the energize part , don’t the media say that every time about the vp candidate who’s most conservative or most liberal .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #324 on: October 18, 2019, 06:58:08 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2019, 02:33:58 AM by Old School Republican »

Hollings wins California and two other states on Super Tuesday 4 while Jackson wins Hawaii and Church wins Wyoming. Despite win in California and endorsements from Peden, Wallace, Wood , Hollings still over 50 delegates shy of nomination

Brinkley: Today was the final night in the Democratic Primary and here were the results

Nebraska: Hollings: 61% 17 Delegates, Church: 31% 9 Delegates, Jackson 8% 2 Delegates
Wyoming: Church: 60% 10 Delegates, Hollings 21% 4 Delegates, Jackson 19% 3 Delegates
New Mexico: Hollings: 40% 9 Delegates, Jackson 37% 8 Delegates, Church 23% 5 Delegates
California: Hollings 44% 111 Delegates, Church 30% 76 Delegates, Jackson 26% 65 Delegates
Hawaii: Jackson 52% 11 Delegates, Church: 40% 9 Delegates, Hollings 8% 2 Delegates

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 1271 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 856 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 683 Delegates
Former UAW President Leonard Wood 14 Delegates  

Chancellor: While Senator Hollings had a strong showing tonight, NBC news can project that even with the endorsements of Senator Peden, Governor Wallace, and Governor Sanford, Senator Hollings still will be over 50 delegates short of the nomination. So the Democratic Convention will be contested

Brinkley: Not yet, as the convention isnt tommorow, there is still 5 weeks left till the convention so if either Senator Church or Senator Jackson drops out before then, Senator Hollings will be the nominee

Projected Delegate Count at End of First Ballot with Switches:

South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 1462 Delegates
Washington Senator Henry Jackson 856 Delegates
Idaho Senator Frank Church 696 Delegates

Breaking News: Idaho Senator Frank Church drops out of race and endorses Senator Fritz Hollings which means that Fritz Hollings will be the presumptive Democratic nominee:

Brinkley: We are told that that Senator Frank Church has dropped out of the race and has endorsed Senator Hollings, meaning NBC News can now project that Ernest Frederick Hollings of South Carolina will be the presumptive Democratic nominee. Senator Church in an interview said he has ruled himself out of being Hollings running mate, but we are told that he did move the Democratic platform to adopt a few planks in the platform such as supporting cuts in military spending, agreeing to negotiate with Panama , arms controls with the Soviets etc.

Chancellor: Since Senator Hollings took a moderate stance on these issues during the primary unlike say, Senator Jackson , that makes this platform much easier for him to adopt.

NBC's 1976 Election Special- Hollings's Vice President Selection

Brinkley: Now that Senator Hollings has won the Democratic Nomination, lets look at some possible names that Senator Hollings can select to be his running mate:

The Favorites:

Adlai Stevenson III:

Strengths: Would help ticket in critical battleground states like Illinois , and Midwest in general

Weakness: Too Bland and not that exciting

Edmund Muskie:

Strengths: Popular among all wings of party, could help ticket make inroads in Republican states in New England

Weaknesses: Would not help ticket in any of the big battleground states like Ohio, Illionis , Texas etc

Katherine Peden:

Source: https://westernkentuckyuniversity.pastperfectonline.com/photo/CFFE9ECB-B765-4D0C-ACD8-725397674480

Strengths: Would help ticket among women voters

Weaknesses: Doesnt add much to ticket Geographically

Lloyd Bentsen:

Strengths: Would help ticket in a major battleground state like Texas, would be popular among moderate voters

Weaknesses: Could alienate progressives in party

Ted Kennedy:

Strengths: Energize Liberal Base and help ticket make potential inroads in Republican states in the North East

Weaknesses: Would greatly hurt ticket in the South, and could be viewed as too far left by independent voters  

Wildcards:

Jerry Brown:

Strengths: Help ticket in the West especially in California and among young voters

Weaknesses: Not that experienced and could be viewed as a Hail Mary

John Glenn:

Strengths: Help ticket in Ohio, and among young voters

Weaknesses: Doesnt fit in any wing of party, too inexperienced

Albert Brewer:

Strengths: Could lockdown deep south for Hollings and much of upper south as well without alienating liberals in party

Weakness: Out of politics too long

NBC News Pre-Convention Battleground Map :

Dark Shaded = Solid GOP/Dem
Light Shaded= Lean GOP/Dem
Green= Battleground

California Governor Ronald Reagan 161
South Carolina Senator Fritz Hollings 146
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies