A Different Republican Icon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:32:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 67758 times)
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: May 12, 2019, 10:49:24 AM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #226 on: May 12, 2019, 11:32:34 AM »

Great to see this one resuming.

Go Jerry Brown! Did he move to Los Angeles? The Browns are actually from San Francisco.

Jerry Brown was living in LA at the time

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/25/us/25sfpolitics.html
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #227 on: May 15, 2019, 03:11:39 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2019, 05:30:40 PM by Both Sides™ »

Federal Court Rules that Goldwater's Executive Order ending project-labor agreements violates NLRB Act of 1935. Ruling to be Appealed by Administration

Brinkley: A Federal Court ruled today that President Goldwater's Executive Order which ends project-labor agreements violated the NLRB Act of 1935 thus any implementation of the President's order will be stopped immediately. The Goldwater Administration responded to this by saying they will appeal the ruling.

Chancellor: In my opinion this is a case which will probably be decided by the Supreme Court

Goldwater handed first major defeat of 2nd term as Flat Tax Plan Fails to get out of committee

Brinkley: The President was handed the first major defeat of his 2nd term as his Flat Tax Plan failed to get out of the House Committee. Every Democrat on the committee voted against it and so did  many Republicans including some who are a staunch supporter of Tax Reform and in general Conservative Economic Policies.

NBC Congressional Correspondent: Yah I think the President and Treasury Secretary Milton Friedman really underestimated how much opposition there is to a flat tax plan. Polls show that most Americans opposed the plan by a large margin , which I think is why this bill didnt even get out of committee.

Brinkley: Thanks for the information

Goldwater's Approvals fall after a month filled of setbacks

Goldwater's Approval:

Approve: 53%(-7%)
Disapprove: 45%(+8%)

House Generic Ballot Poll:

Democrats: 46%
Republicans: 45%
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2019, 01:52:23 AM »

I wonder which modifications to the legislation could be brought in order to get the flat tax passed.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2019, 06:08:05 PM »

Breaking News: Goldwater to visit Moscow Next Month for Historic Arms Limitations Talks

Brinkley: We have some breaking news to report to you and that President Goldwater has announced he will visit Moscow next month and meat with Brezhnev for Historic Arms Limitations talks . Now to discuss more of this matter is Secretary of State Richard Nixon. Secretary Nixon does that mean we are on a verge of an agreement

Nixon: Well I wouldnt say that David, because the President has made it clear unless we can get solid enforcement provisions in any agreement , there will be no deal. I would call this more of a next step in negotiations but if things go well we could see an agreement. 

Brinkley: What are some provisions the President wont be willing to negotiate on 

Nixon: Well one is any limitation we make in arms must be limited by the Soviets as well, and number two like I said earlier is enforcement provisions. I can't disclose any other information at this time relating to these talks

Brinkley: Thanks for coming on

Nixon: Anytime David

President Goldwater proposes privitizing the TVA

Brinkley: The President announced today that he will propose to Congress the idea that the TVA should be privatized. This proposal drew immediate controversy with Democrats in Congress immediately calling the proposal a non starter and a clear give away to wealthy Americans. Even many Republicans from the states most affected by the TVA have come out against it.

Chancellor: Yah I dont think this proposal really will go anywhere in Congress, and just like the flat tax bill probably will die in committee. What I think is this along with the flat tax bill is showing is the President fresh of his landslide victory and Republicans winning control of the House is trying to see how far he can push the boundaries and while I believe the boundaries will once again be pushed to the right over the next four years it wont be pushed this much.

Senator Fritz Hollings and Robert Byrd speak to protesters at Pro TVA rally

Byrd: The TVA has helped transform many of our communities lives for decades. It has provided electricity to millions of Americans who  wouldnt have had it without the TVA . The idea that we should threaten the livelihood of so many Americans just so some rich people can get even richer is ludicrous.

Hollings: The President with his proposal has made it clear he believes that ideology matters more to him than working class Americans. The fact is what Senator Byrd said is right, the TVA has provided millions of people with electricity and the idea that we should turn it over to someone who is looking to make a buck of it is ludicrous.  The fact is the President has made it clear, now that he no longer has any elections to run he will try to ram down his radical agenda down our throats and we must fight to not let him do that . It is clear that the President , much of the Republican Party and their rich friends want to take this nation back to the 1920s and if we dont stop this they will not only privatize the TVA but eliminate the entire Nee Deal as well. So my fellow Americans it is time to make your voices clear and let the President know that we will not stand for this
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #230 on: May 30, 2019, 03:23:10 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2019, 06:13:44 AM by Both Sides™ »

Breaking News: President Goldwater meets with the Leader of the Soviet Union Leonid Brezhnev in Moscow in a summit which is called historic as Goldwater is first President since FDR to visit Russia.

Brinkley: President Goldwater, Secretary Nixon, and Ambassador Stoessel arrived in Moscow today for historic arms limitations talks. This visit is also the first time since the end of World War 2 that any US President has visited Russia. We are told that the President met with the Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev for a one on one meeting today as well, and later today will tour the city with Brezhnev as well. We are told that if there is a deal signed , both President Goldwater and Soviet Leader Brezhev will hold a joint press conference. If there isnt a Press Conference the President will just release a statement about the progress of the talks

Goldwater holds a Press Conference about progress in Arms Limitations Talks

Goldwater: Over the past few deys, I had met with General Secretary Leonid Brezhnev for arms control talks and while we did not come to a formal agreement yet , we did make significant progress. I do believe that we should be able to come to an agreement within the next few months if the progress we made continues over the next few months

Media Member 1: Mr.President What types of Arms limitations did you discuss with the Soviet leader on

Goldwater: We discussed potentially agreeing to an anti-ballistic missile treaty and that is one area I believe we can get a treaty agreed to on soon

Media Member 2: Did you discuss with the Soviet Leader about limiting nuclear weapons in general

Goldwater: Yes I did because I believe it is important that we eliminate any potential chances of nuclear war now and in the future. Do I think we will be able to get an agreement on that, I am not sure as both us and the Soviets on that issue are still far out but I am optimistic. That shall be enough for now

Goldwater campaigns for Los Angles Mayor Sam Yorty reelection bid:

Chancellor: Earlier today Los Angles Mayor Sam Yorty was joined on the campaign trail by President Goldwater, Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr, and California Governor Ronald Reagan all trying to help mobalize conservative voters in an effort to push the mayor over the line in his extremely tight reelection bid  . Even though Mayor Yorty is a Democrat he has received the endorsement of the California Republican party due to in part of his support of Republicans such as Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater in their election bids. His opponent is Jerry Brown, the son of former Governor Pat Brown and Mr.Brown so far has received the endorsement of the California Democratic Party and the vast majority of Democrats in the state. Polls currently show both Mayor Yorty and Mr.Brown tied at 47% in the polls with election day just a few days away

Moderator note: No watermarked images, please.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #231 on: June 01, 2019, 09:51:19 PM »

Jerry Brown narrowly defeats Mayor Sam Yorty to become next mayor of Los Angeles :

Brinkley: In last night's mayoral race in Los Angeles, Jerry Brown , the son of former California Governor Pat Brown defeated the current incumbent mayor Sam Yorty and will become the next mayor of the city. While both Mayor-Elect Brown and Mayor Yorty are Democrats , most voters in Los Angeles considered Mayor Yorty to be the defacto Republican candidate . The result overall was Mayor-Elect Brown recieved 51.4% of the vote to Mayor Yorty's 48.6% to win.

Chancellor: Many people are wondering how come President Goldwater and Governor Reagan's campaigning for Mayor Yorty didnt help as both Goldwater and Reagan won Los Angeles County in both their races. Well the reason is the county does not only include the city of Los Angeles and also includes conservative suburbs like Long Beach and infact if you just look at the city of Los Angeles neither Goldwater or Reagan won them. Due to that the endorsements may not have helped as much as people believed they would.

Breaking News: Final batch of US Combat troops in Vietnam come home

Brinkley: We have some breaking news to report to you and that is that the last batch of US combat troops in Vietnam have arrived back in the US and as you can see happily greeted by their family and friends. The President released a statement saying that we should never forget the bravery all our troops showed and talked about their heroism throughout the war as well. The President also  told the story of one solider's named John McCain's heroism throughout the war. He mentioned how the McCain was given the opportunity to be released early but refused due to the fact that soldiers captured before him were not released.

Chancellor: It was indeed a heroic action and so was the actions of many of our troops during the war.

Treasury Secretary Milton Friedman announces administration will not impose wage and price controls despite increased political pressure to do so

Friedman: Over the past few weeks there has been speculation of whether or not the  Administration will impose wage and price controls or not and my answer to that is no we will not be imposing them. In fact we want to make it clear that not only will we not impose it but if any bill comes to the President desk that does so, the President will veto it.

Media Member: With rising inflation rates, more and more American are demanding that this administration take action immediately

Friedman: And we will take action just not wage and price controls. The reason is pretty simple, price ceilings set below the equilibrium price you will create a shortage in supply while increasing demand which will make our problem worse not better. If we want to reduce inflation we will have to do one of two things: either increase the aggregate supply to or decrease aggregate demand and the latter will result in high unemployment so the solution we will look to implement is increasing the aggregate supply. The way we plan to do that is by reforming our tax code which incentives increasing supply , get rid of regulations that hamper the growth of supply and signing more trade agreements. That is all for now 

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2019, 07:00:11 PM »

In a surprise move, President Goldwater comes out in support of a proposed bill that would take the US of the Gold Standard

Brinkley: In a move which was considered to be surprising , President Goldwater came out in support of a proposed bill in Congress that would take the US of the Gold Standard. The President, while he was senator, made contradictory statements on this issue.

Chancellor: Well I wouldnt say it that surprising, given the fact that his Treasury Secretary is probably the most prominet Monetarist in the nation, Milton Friedman. So its quite possible that Mr.Friedman changed the President's mind on this issue.

Brinkley: And with the President's endorsement of this bill, I think know its inevitable that it will become law.

Democrats Release  Post-Election Autopsy

Spivak: The Democrats released their post-election autopsy where they talk about where things went wrong and how they can make sure it doenst happen again. Lets remind viewers this is needed, here is a map and in it Republicans start with the entire West with the exception of the North West, the South with the exception of Arkansas , Indiana and Upper New England. These are the states that most people believe are states Democrats will have a very hard time winning and as you can see the Republicans start of with 258 EV .

That means the Democrats have to almost totally run the table every where else to win. The problem with that is say Ronald Reagan is the nominee , if that happens Oregon and Washington probably go to him which would give him the election even without winning any of the other gray states, and with Vice President Rhodes all he would need is his home state of Ohio and its over.

Summary of Autopsy:

What went wrong:

- Nominated a candidate far outside the mainstream
- Dem Coalition has become too divided
- Inability to be competitive in California or the South

Summary on how they plan to fix it:

- California : try to sweep lower level state wide offices in 1974 to rebuild party organization there.  From there use the momentum of those election victories in California in 1974 to make the state competitive in 1976

- Deep South: Nominate a Culturally Moderate, Labor-friendly Democrat to build a class based multi racial coalition down south.

- Party Unity: Focus on issues that unite the party base such as Healthcare,and a  Strong Education System instead of discussing issues that divide the party such as taxes,  and cultural issues.

How to reach out to Independent Voters and Liberal Republicans: Advocate for an assertive foreign instead of advocating for a pacifist foreign policy, distancing the party from hippies.

Congress Overwhelmingly Passes Bill that would take US off Gold Standard and President Goldwater signs it.

Brinkley: Congress earlier today by more than 2-1 margins passed a bill that would take the US off the Gold Standard and just a few moments ago it was signed by the President. This effort was mostly pushed by Treasury Secretary Friedman who very likely changed the President's mind on this issue as well as many conservatives in Congress.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #233 on: June 06, 2019, 04:41:50 AM »

Great to see this continue. So far, I'd support some of Goldwater's policies. Or maybe he just looks so moderate and reasonable compared to today's Republican Party.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2019, 12:03:30 PM »

Guessing Goldwater maintains segregation in this TL ? Because I don't see any women or minorities in a Goldwater Cabinet.

I'm assuming he & United States Senator Edward Brooke (R-MA) despise each other.

On TX: I'm guessing Briscoe runs for the Governorship in 1974 to defeat Eggers because you know there's going to be a backlash against the Goldwater White House sooner or later.

- No he doesn’t , not even close . Look at Nixon cabinet , it wasn’t more diverse than TL Goldwater

- Brooke supported Goldwater over McCarthy , though that’s not saying much . Brooke though has opposed much of the Goldwater proposals such as Regulatory Reform , Flat Tax , privatizing the TVA though 
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »

Great to see this continue. So far, I'd support some of Goldwater's policies. Or maybe he just looks so moderate and reasonable compared to today's Republican Party.

Well that may be cause his most right wing proposals such as the flat tax and privatizing the TVA died in the house committee . Also yes it’s also that much of the modern gop is to the right of maybe even 1964 Goldwater as well

I’m taking the US of the Gold standard , much of that is due to his treasury sec Milton Friedman being one of the most influential monetarists ever . So Friedman convinced Goldwater to support that bill
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2019, 12:11:52 PM »

I'm going to assume Goldwater still continues diplomatic ties with Taiwan, who is a staunch US Ally in this TL ?

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #237 on: June 13, 2019, 02:35:10 AM »

Goldwater signs an executive order which gives the Justice Department more power to crack down on drugs

Brinkley: Earlier today the President signed an executive order which will give the Justice Department more power to crack down on drugs. For example, it specifically gives the Justice Department the tools it needs to crack down on illegal drug trade which crosses state lines, citing the commerce clause. He also announced that users of these drugs will be barred from enlisting in the military and soldiers caught using them will be dishonorably discharged from the military instantly and barred from reenlisting.

What this executive order does not apply to drug trade which stays within one state. The President said that the Federal Government does not have the power to regulate that and it is up to each individual state to regulate that.

New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller and California Governor Ronald Reagan hold joint press conference endorsing Goldwater Admin action which crack down on interstate drug trade:

Brinkley: The Governors of the two largest states in the Union: California and New York came out and endorsed the Goldwater Admin approach to cracking down on drugs. They  also both announced that they would be proposing bills to their respective state legislature which would increase penalties for drug crimes and believed the Federal Government decision to crack down on the interstate drug trade may make it easier for states to crack down overall on drug dealers as a whole.

Chancellor: We should also note Reagan and Rockefeller are on opposite wings of the GOP and both may very well be Presidential Candidates next time. Its no secret that the Liberal Wing of the Republican Party has spent the past 9 years falling further and further into the political wilderness with now much of the political establishment backing the Conservative Wing Now: the biggest recent example being them backing Jack Kemp over Charles Goodell in 1970. Many believe due to that Governor Rockefeller may try another bid at the Presidency in 1976 in hopes of reviving the liberal wing even though this time if he runs he will be the Complete underdog while the Conservative Reagan is considered the favorite with only Vice President James Rhodes considered another strong contender.

Brinkley: That is true, but that may show that issues like this cross-ideology .

Breaking News: Chilean Armed forces overthrow Chilean President Salvador Allende. Secretary of State Richard Nixon strongly denies potential US involvement  

Brinkley: We have some breaking news to report to you out of Chile and that is that Chilean Armed forced have overthrown Chilean President Salvador Allende, and installed General Augusto Pinochet as the new leader of the nation. The rationale behind the Coup d'etat was that Allende was working with the Soviet Union to turn Chile into a Communist satellite state of the Soviets.

Also Rumors immediately after the Coup d'etat was that the US was involved but Secretary of State Richard Nixon strongly denied the rumors calling them false .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #238 on: June 21, 2019, 02:56:20 AM »

House Ways and Means passes new Tax Reform Bill After Much Debate and talks with the administration and Congressional Leadership

Details of Bill:

- New Income Tax Rates: 3 brackets which have marginal rates go from a low of 10% to a high of 30%

- New Corporate Tax Rates: Two Rates of 14% and 28% . 14% tax bracket will be taxed on the first $55,000 of corporate income, and the 28% will apply to income above $55,000

- Expands standard deduction

- Eliminates the deduction for passive losses

- Removed all deduction for personal interest with the exception of home mortgage

- Curtails deductions for depreciation

- Expands AMT

- Implementation will be phased in over 2 years

Brinkley: It passed the House Committee and now it is expected to go to the floor of the Senate where the bill is expected to pass. Now the Senate is expected to be much harder but it is also expected to pass though likely with some changes that both houses will likely have to reconcile .

The White House endorsed this plan calling it a major step in the right direction and hopes it will come to the President's desk soon.

President and Republicans end September with another slip in polls, with potentially a larger slip ahead as the economy seems to be on brink of recession.

Goldwater Approval:

Approve: 46%(-3%)
Disapprove: 53%(+4%)

House Generic Ballot:

Democrats: 49%(+2%)
Republicans: 43%(-2%)

Brinkley: After spending the summer, with the polls seemingly not budging one bit, the polls in the month of September did budge and the news is not good for the President and the Republicans. The Democrats no have gotten by our calculations a strong enough lead in the polls that if this margin is replicated next November that they would take back both houses  of Congress.

Chancellor: And with the economy on the brink of recession, the polls could get even worse for the President and the Republicans. The fact is one Democratic insider said at this point he believes that if the trend continues that not only will the Democrats take back both houses of Congress, but there could be a clear liberal majority in both houses as well which is something that has not happened since at least 1968 and probably 1966 as well.

Breaking News: Egyptian and Syrian Forces launch attack on Israeli territory:

Brinkley: We have some breaking news to report to you and that is Egyptian and Syrian Forces along with their allies have launched a surprise attack against Israel by crossing ceasefire lines to enter the Sinai Peninsula as well as the Golan Heights. Despite conflict between the two sides increasing over this past year , the attack surprised the Israelis who werent expecting an invasion at this time.

President Goldwater in a statement harshly condemned the attack and called on the Arab Forces to back off immediately. The President said that the US was prepared to send ground troops to the region to defend Israel if necessary and announced that if it came to ground troops being used not only would they be used to defend Israel but make sure the governments of the Arab Forces face severe consequences for these actions. He ended by saying that he has ordered the Pentagon to immediately start supplying Israel with the weapons it needs to fight off the invasion.

House Passes Tax Reform Bill, setting it up for a showdown in Senate

Chancellor: Earlier today the House After 3 weeks of debate passed the Tax Reform Bill , keeping all the main components of the bill passed in committee. Now it heads to the Senate where passage of the bill seems to be more uncertain though House Speaker Ford said he is confident that the vast majority of bill will stay in the Senate version as well.

Breaking News: Cease Fire Reached between Israeli and Arab forces

Brinkley: We have some breaking news to report to you and that is a cease fire has been reached between Israeli and Arab forces to end the war. The war will end with an Israeli victory as not only will the Egyptian, Syrian and their allies plans failed but the Israelis will now hold almost all of Sinai at the end of this war.

1973 Off Year Election Preview:

Chancellor: As you know two gubernatorial races will be up this year: Virginia and New Jersey along with a mayoral race in the largest city in the US New York City. Here is what NBC News believes the states of these races stand at this moment

Virginia: Former Governor Mills Goodwin(R) vs State Senator Henry Howell(D) - Tossup

New Jersey: Congressman Charles Sandman(R) vs Attorney Brendan Byrne(D)- Likely Democratic Pickup

New York City: City Comptroller Abraham Beame(D) vs State Senator John Marchi(R) vs Attorney Albert Blumenthal(Lib) vs Congressman Mario Biaggi(Cons)- Likely Democratic Pickup(Hold if Lindsay is considered a Dem mayor due to party switch in 1971)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #239 on: June 21, 2019, 04:37:25 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2019, 04:41:21 AM by Cath »

Hello OSR. I believe you may have messaged me some time ago about this TL. I don't do much TL reading these days, so I regret I was unable to get back to you with much. I decided to pop in here, and I'm afraid my first comment is somewhat of a critique. You have above Jerry Brown win a Los Angeles mayoral primary. I find this very confusing, as, to my knowledge, Brown was very active in Oakland, CA politics, which is in the Bay Area, far north of LA.

EDIT: My bad, it appears you've answered this question, and that, in 1969, he actually ran for and won office in LA.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2019, 04:38:10 AM »

I don't think I like the Goldwater administration's recent moves, the tax plan is concerning for me ideologically. It would be interesting to how things go differently if it passes (is it going to put a hole in the budget?).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2019, 10:26:30 AM »

Hello OSR. I believe you may have messaged me some time ago about this TL. I don't do much TL reading these days, so I regret I was unable to get back to you with much. I decided to pop in here, and I'm afraid my first comment is somewhat of a critique. You have above Jerry Brown win a Los Angeles mayoral primary. I find this very confusing, as, to my knowledge, Brown was very active in Oakland, CA politics, which is in the Bay Area, far north of LA.

EDIT: My bad, it appears you've answered this question, and that, in 1969, he actually ran for and won office in LA.

I hope you enjoy this TL

I don't think I like the Goldwater administration's recent moves, the tax plan is concerning for me ideologically. It would be interesting to how things go differently if it passes (is it going to put a hole in the budget?).

It’s not fully revenue neutral but after it goes through the Senate it very well might be . The 1986 Bill was also revenue neutral as well , it was Reagan’s 1981 tax cut that wasn’t and that was more of an economic bill while the 1986 reform one was fully a tax reform one .

This also is a much more moderate plan than the original Goldwater Admin proposal
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #242 on: July 01, 2019, 07:29:15 AM »

Goldwater ❤️
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »

Democrats win big in New Jersey and New York City while Republicans narrowly hold on to Gubernatorial Seat in Virginia

Brinkley: In last night off year election the Democratic candidate in the New Jersey Gubernatorial race Brendan Byrne was elected in a stunning landslide , defeating the Republican candidate Charles Sandman by at least a 2-1 margin, and the victories for New Jersey Democrats did not end there. In the state legislature , the Democrats not only won control of both houses for the first time in 6 years but won super majorities in both chambers : now holding 65 of the 80 state house seats and 29 of the 40 state senate seats. The Landslide Democratic Win in New Jersey  was due to voters wanting to move on from a very scandal plagued Gubernatorial Tenure by the Republican William Cahill.

In New York City the Democratic Candidate Abraham Beame was not only able to win but win an outright majority as well, which will give him the mandate he was looking for as well. Finally in Virginia a race which has been close all campaign long , Mills Goodwin the former Governor prevailed , although this time as a Republican thanks to a strong performance in Central and Northern Virginia.
The Democrats still hold supermajorities in both houses of the Virginia Assembly like they have for a century.

Chancellor : Many people believe  the results of this year election was the voters sending a message to the President but according to an White House Insider we talked to he said the President does not believe that. He said these were local and state elections and the voters deciding who to vote for based on those issues. He said in New Jersey the Republicans lost due to them being tied to a scandal-plagued Gubernatorial Administration.

Breaking News: Supreme Court rules that Goldwater's Executive Order ending project-labor agreements does not violate the NLRB Act of 1935:

Brinkley: We have some breaking news to report to you and that is the Supreme Court has ruled in a 6-3 decision that President Goldwater's Executive Order ending project-labor agreements is lawful. The 3 justices who dissented were William Douglas , William Brennan and Thurgood Marshall.

Many Labor Leaders called the courts decision a disaster but promised that the fight isnt over and that they now will take the fight to the political arena and will lobby legislatures to pass a law that amends the NLRB Act of 1935 to reverse Goldwater's executive order. Senate Minority Whip Robert Byrd and House Minority Whip Tip O'Neill announced that they will make this issue one of the top issues in the 1974 campaign and promise that if the voters give controll of Congress back to Congress they will pass a law that will make it impossible for Presidents to end project-labor agreements.

Goldwater's Approvals fall to new low due to a faltering economy and belief that the economy is in recession

Chancellor: After the President's approval stayed stagnant in October it plummeted to a new low this month and inside sources in the Republican party are very worried about a potential Democratic Wave in 1974.

Goldwater's Approval:

Approve: 40%(-6%)
Disapprove: 58%(-5%)

House Generic Ballot:

Democrats: 51%(+2%)
Republicans: 41%(-2%)
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2019, 07:14:01 PM »

Will an alternate roe v wade happen ittl?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #245 on: July 05, 2019, 07:29:10 PM »

Roe vs wade already happened and the decision was the same , although it was much more narrower than OTL
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2019, 01:49:30 AM »

Goldwater speaks to California Governor Ronald Reagan about running for a third term as Governor of California:

Private Conversation:

Goldwater: Governor Reagan, one request I have for you is to run for a third term as Governor of California. Polls show you with a double-digit lead against every potential Democrat , while Mr.Finch is in a dead heat in the polls and even if he wins, the largest state of the union will move in a more liberal direction .

Reagan: One problem with that is that currently, I am heavily considering running for President in 1976 , and campaigns usually last a year as well . What about your son Congressman Goldwater Jr , he would make a fabulous governor and arguably represents the conservative movement better than anyone other than you Mr.President.

Goldwater: I have talked to my son, and he has told me he will not run for Governor in 1974 and rather run for the Lieutenant position. We both agree that he would do a much better job as Governor if he gets more experience first.

Reagan: Ok I will heavily consider running for Governor again, and make an announcement sometime next month

Long Time New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller resigns to head Bipartisan Commission on Critical Choices:

Brinkley: Earlier today Long Time New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller resigned as Governor to head the newly formed Bipartisan Commission on Critical Choices. While the President was at first very reluctant to support the creation of the commission , we are told Secretary Richard Nixon convinced him to support it due to the fact the suggestions made by the report would not be binding.

The New Governor of New York will be Malcolm Wilson, a friend of the Governor and many in the liberal wing of the New York Republican Party hope a fresh face will help the state party avoid the same fate as the national party of being taken over by the Conservative Wing of the party.

Senate Passes Amended version of Tax Reform:

Major Changes from House Bill:

- New Income Tax Rates: 4 brackets which have marginal rates go from a low of 10% to a high of 40%

- New Corporate Tax Rates: Three Rates of 15%, 24%, 33% . 15% tax bracket will be taxed on the first $45,000 of corporate income, and the 24% will apply to income above $45,000 but below $120,000 while the 33% tax bracket will apply to income above $120,000

- Raises Top Capital Gains Rate to 30%

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #247 on: July 07, 2019, 03:25:16 AM »

Rockefeller 76!
erſatz-york
SlippingJimmy

« Reply #248 on: July 07, 2019, 05:42:43 AM »

Wonder what Nixon’s fate will be — will he run in 76? Could he continue as SoS in the next Republican administration?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2019, 03:05:03 AM »

President Goldwater's son, Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr, to run for California Lieutenant Governor while Governor Ronald Reagan will run for 3rd term as Governor

Brinkley: Earlier today Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr announced that he would be running for Lieutenant Governor in the state of California. As for the gubernatorial seat we are told that Governor Ronald Reagan will be running for reelection , and polls already show he is up by double digits.

Spivak: I have heard that California Democrats after the humiliating defeat in 1970 where they failed to win a single statewide seat have this time decided to focus on all the lower level statewide offices and take back the legislature first. I view this is as smart because right now I dont think a single Democrat holds a chance against either Governor Reagan or Senator Deukmejian but they very well could win races like the Secretary of State which by the way is a pretty important role as well.

House and Senate pass ompromise Tax Reform Bill, and President Goldwater signs it:

Details of New Bill:

- New Income Tax Rates: 4 brackets which have marginal rates go from a low of 10% to a high of 37%

- New Corporate Tax Rates: Two Rates of 15% and 30% . 15% tax bracket will be taxed on the first $55,000 of corporate income, and the 28% will apply to income above $55,000

- Raises Top Capital Gains Rate to 27%

- Expands standard deduction

- Eliminates the deduction for passive losses

- Removed all deduction for personal interest with the exception of home mortgage

- Curtails deductions for depreciation

- Expands AMT

- Implementation will be phased in over 2 years

Goldwater's Approvals Reach New Low in Pre State of Union Poll, and early congressional polls show Democrats way ahead and on track to make huge gains

Goldwater's Approval rate

Approve: 37%
Disapprove: 61%

House Generic Ballot:

Democrats 53%
Republicans 39%

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies