A Different Republican Icon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:41:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 67208 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: November 16, 2019, 03:42:26 AM »

Surprised the Anderson voters preferred Reagan given in 1980 they split like 49% to Carter and 39% to Reagan (not entirely sure if these are the exact numbers just off the top of my head). Interesting that Hollings won and that there is a PV-EC split.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #376 on: November 16, 2019, 04:04:37 AM »

Surprised the Anderson voters preferred Reagan given in 1980 they split like 49% to Carter and 39% to Reagan (not entirely sure if these are the exact numbers just off the top of my head). Interesting that Hollings won and that there is a PV-EC split.

Well in 1980 , many liberal voters inside the Democratic party had become very dissatisfied with Carter and thus voted Anderson to voice their frustration while on the other hand while liberal Republicans weren't that satisfied with Reagan, many voted for him anyway due to the fact they wanted to get rid of Carter.

In this TL after 8 years of Republican control of the White House, it is liberal Republicans not liberal Democrats who are more likely to voice their frustration while liberal Democrats are more likely to support the nominee .
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #377 on: November 16, 2019, 04:07:29 AM »

Well in 1980 , many liberal voters inside the Democratic party had become very dissatisfied with Carter and thus voted Anderson to voice their frustration while on the other hand while liberal Republicans weren't that satisfied with Reagan, many voted for him anyway due to the fact they wanted to get rid of Carter.

In this TL after 8 years of Republican control of the White House, it is liberal Republicans not liberal Democrats who are more likely to voice their frustration while liberal Democrats are more likely to support the nominee .

Ok that makes sense.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #378 on: November 16, 2019, 06:25:28 PM »

Hollings selects Foreign Policy Team:

Secretary of State: Former Arkansas Senator William Fulbright

Secretary of Defense: Former Deputy Secretary of Defense Cyrus Vance

National Security Advisor: General David C. Jones

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_C._Jones

UN Ambassador : Professor Patrick Moynihan

What these appointments mean:

Brinkley: Well in my opinion this means we likely will increase diplomatic talks with the Soviet Union, and be more willing to talk to Panama about transferring the canal . It also shows that there will likely be more cooperation with international organizations rather than a foreign policy in which the US dragged the rest of the western world to its position that has dominated the last 8 years.

Chancellor: The pick of the former Senator Fulbright has already caused controversy with Senator Henry Jackson saying he will vote against his nomination due to his history of being weak against communism with his history of being one of the most prominent senator opposing the Vietnam War.

Former Secretary of State Nixon called for the nomination to be rejected by the senate calling Fulbright calling his foreign policy ideas a disgrace and would send a message to the communists that the US is ready to surrender.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #379 on: November 16, 2019, 09:37:31 PM »

President-Elect Hollings selects Economic Policy Team:

Secretary of Treasury: Economist Paul Samuelson

Source: https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/1970/samuelson/biographical/

Secretary of Commerce: Former IBM CEO Thomas Watson Jr.

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:ThomasJWatsonJr.jpg

Secretary of Labor: Former UAW President Leonard Wood

Head of OMB: Representative George Mahon

What These Picks Mean Will be for Economic Policy:

Chancellor: Well I think this signals that the Chicago School of Economic Thought that has dominated economic policy over the past 8 years will not have much influence in President-Elect Hollings Adminstration. His pick as Economist Paul Samuelson who by the way was current treasury secretary Milton Friedman sparring partner when they both wrote for Newsweek shows that in a pretty significant way as during both their tenure at Newsweek Friedman represented the Chicago School while Samuelson represented the Keynesian School .

Add in the fact that Mr.Leonard Wood will be taking over Secretary Donovan position will be another major change with the head of the Labor Department going from a Businessman to the leader of one of the largest unions in this country .

Brinkley: On the other hand him selecting Mr.Watson for Commerce and Representative Mahon for OMB shows that while their will be a swing back to Keynesian Economics , it wont be full throttle and will be more pragmatic side which I think is important because while Democrats control both houses of Congress it is not large enough for the Democrats to take it back to how things were before Goldwater took office, so having pragmatic leadership will be important if President-Elect Hollings wants to have his agenda passed.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #380 on: November 17, 2019, 08:49:34 PM »

President-Elect Hollings proposes reorganizing the cabinet by splitting the Department of Health, Education and Welfare into two separate departments and creating a new cabinet-level position called Department of Energy.  

Brinkley: President-Elect Hollings earlier today proposed reorganizing the cabinet by splitting the current Department of Health, Education and Welfare into two departments called the Department Health and Human Services and Department of Education and also announced that he would support a bill that would create a new cabinet-level position called the Department of Energy. This proposal was widely expected as while President-Elect Hollings was skeptical to supporting such a reorganization at first he agreed to support that plank on the Democratic Platform to appease the more progressive wing of the party in an attempt to avoid a contested convention then strongly defended it during the campaign.  He has already announced who he plans to nomination to head each department as well

Secretary of Health and Human Services: Former Maine Senator Margaret Chase Smith

Secretary of Education: Former South Carolina Governor Robert McNair

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Evander_McNair

Secretary of Energy: West Virginia Senator Jennings Randolph

Chancellor: If the reorganization bill is not approved in Congress like its widely expected to then the President-Elect announced he would nominate Senator Smith for the Secretary of Health, Education and Welfare position , Governor McNair would be hired as an advisor and Senator Randolph will stay in the senate.

Brinkley: To explain these picks, Senator Smith was a long time liberal Republican in the Senate so its no surprise she was selected for the role in which she was, and Governor McNair was known as one of the most pro education governors and was from South Carolina so again its no surprise he was selected for that position. As for Senator Randolph people dont know this but he, when he was a member of the house back in the 1940s, was responsible for the passage of the synthetic liquid fuels act which funded trasformation of coal and its products into important forms of energy so.

President-Elect Hollings names head of HUD and Transportation :

Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: New Orleans Mayor Moon Landrieu

Secretary of Transportation: Former California Governor Pat Brown

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Brown

Chancellor: Pretty well qualified picks who should be easily confirmed , with Governor Brown as people know presiding over the state of California when they built much of their modern free way system and much of their infrastructure and Mayor Landrieu being known for revitalizing the city . These might be close to unanimous as well
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #381 on: November 19, 2019, 07:58:27 PM »
« Edited: November 19, 2019, 08:03:08 PM by Old School Republican »

Congressman Anderson decides not to join either party's caucus in the House:

Chancellor: Representative John Anderson has just announced he will not caucus with either party in the House, and will serve fully as an independent. He said he will work with both parties on the varius commitees he will be on to help make positive change for Americans.

Brinkley: Secretary Nixon put a lot of pressure on the House GOP not to allow Anderson back into the caucus and it looks like it has worked . As for why he didnt join the Democrats, well the fact is that district is very Republican and if he became a Democrat, he almost certianly woud lose in 1978.

Now winning reelection as an independent will still be very difficult as this time around he was nominated by the Republicans before he switched his registration to an independent so the race last year didnt feature a Republican on the ballot but will in 1978.

President-Elect Fritz Hollings offically resigns after Electoral College offically makes him the next President of the United States. Former General William Westmoreland appointed as interim senator by Governor Edwards

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Westmoreland

Brinkley: The Electoral College met today and offically made Senator Hollings, President-Elect of the United States. After the meeting was over President-Elect Hollings resigned from the Senate and Governor Edwards appointed former General William Westmoreland to be the interim senator . As with accordance to state law he also announced that he scheduled a special election date on June 14th of next year for that seat and the winner of that special election will serve out the rest of the term.

President-Elect Hollings fills out rest of cabinet:

Attoreny General: Former Alabama Governor Albert Brewer

Source: https://www.wtvy.com/wrgx/content/news/Former-Alabama-Governor-Albert-Brewer-dies--409410445.html

Secretary of Agriculture: Former Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter

Secretary of Interior: Utah Senator Frank Moss

Adminstrator of Environmental Protection Agency: Former Oregon Governor Tom McCall

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_McCall

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #382 on: November 24, 2019, 02:36:21 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2019, 03:03:59 AM by Old School Republican »

Summary of President-Elect Hollings's first post-election Press Conference

Source: https://abcnews4.com/news/local/south-carolina-senator-fritz-hollings-in-repose-at-statehouse

Reporter 1 : Many people consider your nomination of Senator Fulbright, Mr.Samuleson and Mr. Wood to not be pragmatic picks . What is your reaction to that.

Hollings: Well Senator Fulbright was the chair of the Foreign Relations Committee for 12 years and was a major reason why organization like the UN was created in the first place and while yes I have had my disagreements with him in the past and still do on foreign policy, he is still very qualified for the job. Second is that people say oh he is anti-war and I want people to remember it is the state departments job to help prevent war in the first place, the department which is supposed to prepare us for war is the defense department not the state department.

As for Mr.Samuleson again he won a nobel prize in economics so to say he isn't qualified for this role would be a false statement in every possible. As for Mr.Wood people forget that it is the labor deparment job to represent American Labor while its the commerce department's job to represent American Business and who better to head the department then the person who led one of the largest labor unions in this nation.

Reporter 1: President-Hollings , a Democrat Senator Henry Jackson though is the one leading the charge against Senator Fulbright not the Republicans. I know you have expained his anti-war views  but how you explain this quote:
"I don't understand why the East Germans don't just close their border, because I think they have the right to close it."
. How do you explain that quote Mr.Presdident-Elect

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._William_Fulbright

Hollings: Senator Fulbright has said he regrets making those comments and made it clear he will work with the Soviet Union to help one day hopefully open up East Berlin once again .

Reporter 2: Presdient-Elect Hollings, it seems like you have met with leaders of congress discuss a comprehensive energy plan. What are some of the different things you have discusses so far

Hollings: Well number 1 is creating a federal department of energy like I proposed a few weeks back and currently it seems like a bill to create one is likely to pass. Second is that we must invest in the infrastructure  of this nation  as without proper and modern infrastructure we just cant increase energy production and lastly is increasing research in alternative forms of energy so we can have more ways to produce energy which in turn will increase energy production overall.

Reporter 3: On the campaign trail you said you sign a new executive order which would repeal President Goldwater's executive order which invoked Taft-Hartley against the Miners on day 1. Do you still intend to do that and if you do wouldn't it cause a different strike

Hollings: Yes I plan on signing that executive order , and no it wont cause an immediate strike because it would create a 90 day transition period as well in which time period the negotiations between the UMWA and BCAO will resume and we will work to get a fair agreement signed between both sides to avoid a strike.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #383 on: November 24, 2019, 03:30:58 AM »

Summary of President Goldwater's Final Press Conference:

Source: https://www.c-span.org/person/?barrygoldwater

Reporter 1: President Goldwater, when history decades in the future looks back in the 8 years you were in the oval office what would they say was your administration's  biggest successes and biggest failures.

Goldwater: Well I dont know who historians would say but if you want me to answer what I think my biggest successes were well one I would say domestically is that we were able to accomplish a large part of what we wanted to do in reducing the power of the federal government by passing tax reform, block granting programs to return that power back to the states and to cities and in getting rid of many unnecessary regulations. Foreign policy-wise that's easy, I would say ending the war in Vietnam with honor because as commander in chief you get no better feeling that knowing our troops no longer are in harms way.

Biggest failure that again is easy and that is failing to pass regulatory reform because I strongly believe that allowing unelected bureaucrats to basically write de facto laws is unconstitutional because the constitution makes it very clear that only Congress has the power to write laws and that makes perfect sense because members of the house and senate have to face the wrath of the voters if they pass bad laws while these bureaucrats do not.

Reporter 2: What do you say to critics who say your administration was an ideological right administration for wealthy people

Goldwater: Well that is not true at all, I mean just look at our tax policy before and you would see special interest groups would get all the rewards from it while average Americans would be paying a huge number in taxes, and thanks to tax reform that era is over. As for being an ideologue, well again that isnt true and if you look at the bills we passed they had bipartisan support

Reporter 3: How much of the policies you worked on to pass you think will still be here in the long term

Goldwater: Well I think they all will be in the long run and while some say for example of taxes may be rolled back a little, most of the reforms we passed will still be there. Also take block grants for example, the fact is now evidence is showing that policy is working like intend, so trying to remove them would be a mistake for anyone.

Reporter 4: Did you give any advice to the Presidnet-Elect and are you willing to sign the two cabinet reorganizing bills
\
Goldwater: No I am not and while the President-Elect will sign that bill into law it is not something I support so I wont be signing it . As for advice well I told him that the main thing to succeed is having a strong, competent team around him.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #384 on: November 24, 2019, 05:20:07 AM »

This is really solid work. Reading the Goldwater presidency was really good and he turned out better than expected in the beginning.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #385 on: November 24, 2019, 03:14:53 PM »

This is really solid work. Reading the Goldwater presidency was really good and he turned out better than expected in the beginning.

Thanks,

Although I think one of the reasons he turned out better than you probably expected was the fact that many of his policies such as the Flat Tax, Privatizing programs such as TVA etc , regulatory reform(something I favor though), and massive spending cuts failed to pass in Congress so he was forced to make compromises on those issues.

As for foreign policy, I don't think he was ever as hawkish as he was portrayed by LBJ in 1964, he just ran a terrible campaign whcih made ads like the Daisy Ad very effective.

I have a question though, say the modern GOP instead of the GOP in this TL was the one who controlled congress for the first two years of his second term do you think policies such as the flat tax would have been approved.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #386 on: November 24, 2019, 03:37:28 PM »

Thanks,

Although I think one of the reasons he turned out better than you probably expected was the fact that many of his policies such as the Flat Tax, Privatizing programs such as TVA etc , regulatory reform(something I favor though), and massive spending cuts failed to pass in Congress so he was forced to make compromises on those issues.

As for foreign policy, I don't think he was ever as hawkish as he was portrayed by LBJ in 1964, he just ran a terrible campaign whcih made ads like the Daisy Ad very effective.

I have a question though, say the modern GOP instead of the GOP in this TL was the one who controlled congress for the first two years of his second term do you think policies such as the flat tax would have been approved.

I honestly don't know. Did Ronald Reagan ever support a flat tax?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #387 on: November 24, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »

Thanks,

I honestly don't know. Did Ronald Reagan ever support a flat tax?

Not that I am aware of but Milton Friedman most certainly did .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #388 on: November 25, 2019, 04:41:06 AM »

President Goldwater's Farewell Address:

Source: https://repository.wlu.edu/handle/11021/31214

Goldwater: My fellow Americans, tonight will be the final time I will be addressing you as your President and I want to start out by saying Thank You for giving me the opportunity to represent you as your President for these past 8 years. 16 years ago when my book The Conscience of a Conservative was first published many people didnt believe it was  possible to turn those policy dreams into a reality,and at the time they seemed right because the previous for decades we were moving in a direction of larger goverment with both parties accepting the premise of a more taxing, more regulating and more government ageda but I along with many other conservative leaders at the time felt the direction our nation was going in was the wrong one and that why we decided that the time to sit on the sidelines and it was time to fight back to help put our nation back on the right direction what made our nation so great in the first place

Our nation became so great in the first place because it unlike all nations on earth gave power to the people instead of the government and wrote a constitution to restrain the government instead of the other way around but by the 1960s it was clear that we had moved away from those principles which inflicted on our nation many problems we could have avoided . For the past 8 years, our administration has done all we could have done to restore those basic principles that made our nation so great, and I can promise that even after I leave the White House two days from now , I will never stop fighting for these principles, only this time I will be doing it as an ordinary citizen rather than a politician.

Before I end my speech tonight I also want to thank every armed men and women in uniform how proud I was to be their commander in chief for the past 8 years and will remain proud for the rest of my life. I also want to give my best wishes to President-Elect Hollings as two days from now he will take on one of the most difficult jobs in the world and soon his successes will be all our successes.

Thank You, May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Opinion of Goldwater's farewell address:

Approve: 61%
Disapprove: 39%

President Goldwater's Final Approval Rating:

Approve: 53%
Disapprove: 47%
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #389 on: November 26, 2019, 06:54:05 PM »

The Inaugration of Edmund Frederick Hollings

Tip O'Neil, Robert Byrd and Dale Bumpers give their thoughts about Fritz Holling's Inaguration

Source: https://wvhistoryonview.org/catalog/027302

Brokaw: Speaker O'Neil in just a few hours Mr.Fritz Hollings will become the 38th President of the United States, what are your thoughts on this day

O'Neil: First of all is a sense of relief because after 8 long years of pro wealthy right wing ideological, we can finally once again address the issues facing our nation such as Education, Childhood Poverty, and many others that have been ignored for the prior 8 years. The cabinet that President-Elect Hollings has chosen also makes me very optimistic that we will go full in to address our issues in a smart and pragmatic way as well.

Brokaw: Senator Byrd as someone who has served with President-Elect Hollings what is your thoughts

Byrd: Like Speaker O'Neil I am very optimistic about our future and the fact that we finally will get to address all these problems that have gone unaddressed for the past 8 years. As someone who knows President-Elect Hollings, I can tell you that he will work very hard to solve the problems our nation faces and he is very smart and capable as well so he will be successful in that endeavor too.

Brokaw: Senator Byrd the confirmations of Mr.Hood, Senator Fulbright are considered to be in doubt what are your thoughts

Byrd: Well I think Mr. Hood will get confirmed comfortably as even some Republicans have come out and said they woudl vote to confirm him and I believe every Democrat will. Senator Fulbright will be a much harder confirmation process but I believe he will be confirmed as well because I believe the quotes many critics using of his are taken out of context and the hearings will show that.

Brokaw: Senator Bumpers what are your thoughts that a Southerner will be president for the first time since the civil war without it being through succession.

Bumpers: Tom it makes me very excited and I believe he will show to the country we in the south are not like how we are stereotyped as and I am very proud that one of our own made it to the White House especially someone as smart, and competent as President-Elect Hollings.

Brokaw: Ok David sending it back to you

Brinkley: Ok thanks , this just in and that is that Vice-President Elect Ed Muskie will be sworn in by the first African American Supreme Court Justice: Thurgood Marshall.

Fritz Hollings takes oath of office and delivers inaugural address:

Muskie Sworn in by Justice Marshall:

Marshall: Senator, put up your right hand and repeat after me

Muske: I, Edmund Sixtus Muskie, do solemnly swear
that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I take this obligation freely,
without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;
and that I will well and faithfully discharge
the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.
So help me God.

Marshall: Congratulations, Mr.Vice President

Hollings sworn in by Chief Justice Burger:

Burger: Marshall: Senator, put up your right hand and repeat after me

Hollings: I, Edmund Frederick Hollings,  do solemnly swear
that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
and will to the best of my Ability,
preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
So help me God.

Burger: Congratulations, Mr. President

President Hollings's inauguration address:

Cannon: Ladies and Gentleman, the President of the United States(Applause)

Hollings: Mr.Chief Justice, President Goldwater,  Vice President Muskie, Vice President Rhodes, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans : every four years we gather here to celebrate not only the inauguration of a President but the wisdom of our founders as well, because they helped create a system that not only accepts but celebrates the passing of power from one President to another(Applause). I want to thank President Goldwater for making this transition process has smooth as he possibly could and wish him well for his future(Applause).

Two centuries ago on this very day our founders were in the fight to win our nation's independence and help create a country that all men a created equal , that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights and it is our job in this generation to protect those rights they fought so hard to win 200 years ago(Applause). While our nation is indeed the greatest nation in the history of man , we arent without faults which is why we should take it on ourselves to do all we can in helping keep making our nation a better place(Applause) and as President I pledge to you that I will never stop fighting to do so.

If we want to keep the American Dream alive and well we must work together to help create an education system that gives every kid regardless or race or gender the opportunity to succeed, get rid of childhood poverty so no kid has to go to bed hungry, and help make our economy grow(Applause) . Throughout history, we have stood up and faced the many challanged we faced: Our founders helped create the first successful democracy in thousands of years(Applause) and create a constitution which protects the rights of the people(Applause), Abraham Lincoln abolished
the great evil of slavery and saved our union(Applause) , Teddy Roosevelt and Woodrow Wilson helped fight for basic worker and consumer rights(Applause), Franklin Roosevelt helped us through of our darkest moments during the Depression and World War II and helped create the greatest middle class in the history of mankind(Applause) and Presidents Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson fought for civil rights for all Americans and succeeded. We know face problems today such as a changing economy, poverty and I am sure that if we all work together we can overcome these problems as well(Applause).

While we face many challenges at home , we as Americans have a new responsibility to the safety of the world as well(Applause) . We as Americans have stood up for Freedom throughout history as it was through our example many nations around the world stood up and established Democracies as well and we have to continue to be that beacon of inspiration(Applause) and I intend to make sure we continue being that beacon(Applause). We will not surrender to totalitarianism under any circumstance and we will show them that no a nation that values freedom and liberty always will win out in the end(Applause).

Thank You May God Bless You and May God Bless America

Opinion of President Hollings's Inaugural Address

Approve: 87%
Disapprove: 13%

President Hollings signs first bills in office and makes cabinet appointments official:

Source: https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-200-days-congress-regulations-laws-signed-repeal-obama-2017-8 ( Modified)

Brinkley: So President Hollings has officially signed the cabinet reorganization act that splitting the current Department of Health, Education, and Welfare into two departments called the Department Health and Human Services and the Department of Energy Act which will be headed by a cabinet-level position called the Scretary of Energy. He also made his cabinet picks offical by signing offical appointment documents
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #390 on: November 27, 2019, 07:00:41 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2019, 07:09:10 PM by Old School Republican »

President Hollings signs first executive order of Presidency which repeals Goldwater's executive order which invoked Taft-Hartley and other "anti union" executive order

Source: https://digital.library.sc.edu/blogs/scpc/page/2/

Brinkley: As promised, President Hollings signed an executive order that will repeal President Goldwater's executive order which invoked Taft-Hartley in the miners strike and as promised it will create a 90 day transition period in between the signing of this executive order and the time the miners are permitted to call a strike again to increase pressure on both sides to come to an agreement before then.

The executive order also repealed President Goldwater's executive order which ended project-labor agreements along with many other executive orders that he viewed were anti-union.

Maine Governor James Longley appoints former political opponent George Mitchell to fill Vice President Muskie's vacant senate seat  

Brinkley: Since Vice President Muskie gave up his senate seat to become vice President, his old senate seat had become Vacant and to fill that vacancy the Governor Maine James Longley has appointed is former opponent George Mitchell to fill that Senate seat. A special election for that seat will take place during the 1978 midterms

Fulbright's nomination in doubt after tenacious hearing

Chancellor: While on paper it would seem like Former Arkansas Senator William Fulbright would easily be confirmed as Secretary of State , right now his nomination looks in doubt after a very tenacious hearing with the harshest words coming not from the Republicans but Democrats like Henry Jackson and Herman Talmadge both who called his foreign policy weak on communism and Talmadge calling it unamerican. Right now 7 Democrats have come out against the nomination of Fulbright and 4 Republicans coming out in favor of his nomination with one senator J Bennet Johnston being undecided and will be the deciding vote .

Here is the list of Democrats opposed to the nomination of Senator Fulbright: Henry Jackson, Milton Shapp, Herman Talmadge, James Eastland, John Stennis, James Allen , Harry Byrd

Here is the list of Republicans supporting the nomination of Senator Fulbright: Charles Percy, Charles Mathias,  Mark Hatfield and Jacob Javits

All Cabinet Appointees confirmed including Fulbright after Vice President Muskie breaks tie:

Source:https://blog.qualitybath.com/design-inspiration/inside-the-white-house/

Secretary of State: William Fulbright confirmed with a vote of 50 Ayes to 50 Nays(VP Broke tie)
Secretary of Treausry: Paul Samuelson confirmed with a vote of 62 Ayes to 38 Nays
Secretary of Defense: Cyrus Vance confirmed unanimously
Attoreny General: Albert Brewer confirmed with a vote of 98 Ayes to 2 Nays
Secretary of Interior: Frank Moss confirmed unanimously
Secretary of Agriculture: Jimmy Carter confirmed unanimously
Secretary of Commerce: Thomas Watson Jr confirmed unanimously
Secretary of Labor: Leonard Wood confirmed with a vote of 55 Ayes to 45 Nays
Secretary of Health and Human Services: Margaret Chase Smith confirmed with a vote of 96 Ayes to 4 Nays
Secretary of Education: Robert McNair confirmed unanimously
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: Moon Landrieu confirmed unanimosuly
Secretary of Transportation: Pat Brown confirmed with a vote of 81 Ayes to19 Nays
Secretary of Energy: Jennings Randolph confirmed unanimously
OMB Director: George Mahon confirmed with a vote of 90 Ayes to 10 Nays
UN Ambassdor:  Patrick Moynihan confirmed with a vote of 98 Ayes to 2 Nays
Adminstrator of EPA: Tom McCall confirmed unanimously
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #391 on: December 01, 2019, 03:08:42 AM »

Jay Rockefeller nominates Representative Harley Staggers to fill Randolph's senate seat and calls a special election on June 14th to fill Staggers's seat. Texas Governor also calls a special election on same date to fill Mahon's seat.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley_Orrin_Staggers

Brinkley: West Virginia Governor Jay Rockefeller announced that he was appointing longtime Congressman Harley Staggers to fill Secretary Randolph's seat in the senate and scheduled a special election to fill Congressman's Staggers now vacant seat on June 14th. As for a special election for the senate seat, there wont be one due to the fact that there is less than 2 years left in Secretary Randolph term .

The Governor of Texas John Hill announced that he also will schedule a June 14th Special Election date to fill Director Mahon's seat.

Chancellor: So June 14th will be a special election day as two congressional elections and the South Carolina Senate race will be held on that day. Democrats shouldnt have a problem winning the two congressional races as both seats are solidly Democratic but the senate race will be difficult as Senator Westmorland has high favorables .

Hollings announces pause on all current trade negotiations pending review

Source: https://grains.org/government-shutdown-impacts-include-progress-on-trade-negotiations/

Brinkley: Earlier today, the Hollings administration announced all current trade negotiations will be put on pause on current trade negotiations pending review.As for trade deals that were agreed to President Goldwater but not ratified by Congress, he has announced they will remain in place but he review them to see if they need to be renegotiated but he wont withdraws from them.

Secretary of State Fulbright though in a statement said as for current trade negotiations the administration may decide to totally restart the negotiation process.

President Hollings signs bill that will raise the minimum wage from $1.60 to $3.00 by 1980.

Chancellor: The President today signed a bill that will raise the minimum wage from $1.60 to $3.00 by 1980 with the minimum wage increased by 60 cents in 1978 and 40 cents in 1979 and 1980. The President called this bill a win for working-class families throughout this nation . The last minimum wage increase to happen was in 1968 and President Hollings increased the minimum wage  to basically  to what Democrats in the 1960s thought the minimum wage would be by the end of the 1970s  just a year later.

Brinkley: This bill was expected to pass given the makeup of Congress and the signing of this bill basically wipes out the Goldwater's legacy when it comes to this issue as the signing of bill increases the minimum wage to around where Democrats such as Hubert Humphrey wanted to increase by the end of this decade.

Chancellor: Add in his decision on trade and on unions its clear that President Hollings is pushing this nation back to the left after 8 years of a pretty hard helm to the right but the toughest challenge is still ahead if and when the President decides to tackle the issue of Taxes and Domestic Programs which President Goldwater made huge changes to such as two major tax reform bills and multiple block grant bill all of which seem deeply entrenched at this point.

Add in the fact the shape of the judiciary drastically changed in the Goldwater years, the fact is the executive branch will likely not be able to use their regulatory powers as they once did in preceding decades as while the judiciary is still liberal its nowhere near as it was before Goldwater took office. So basically the actions the President currently has taken along with maybe an infrastructure bill are just the prelude and the next step after that is going to be much much harder.

Brinkley: I agree and even on trade the President has just halted current trade negotiations but the non ratified deals agreed to by President Goldwater will remain in place which shows how hard reversing Goldwater's policies wont be easy at all
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #392 on: December 02, 2019, 04:50:22 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2019, 05:10:28 AM by Old School Republican »

Secretary of State Fulbright announces that US will begin negotiations with Panama about the fate of Canal. Thurmond responded by promising to block any treaty that gives up control of Panama Canal

Brinkley: Secretary of State Fulbright announced today that the US will begin negotiations with Panama about the fate of the canal and affirmed that the US will be willing to give up the canal depending on the type of deal they get. Asked whether the United Nations would get involved and he responded by saying if they are interested yes they would be allowed and in response Senator Strom Thurmond blasted Secretary Fulbright and accused him of selling American sovereignty down to a bunch of global elitists and promised that he will do all he can in his power to block any treaty that would give up control of the Panama canal .

Secretary Fulbright responded by saying that the fact is we tried Senator Thurmond's approach for 8 years and the fact is it didnt work.

Hollings proposes Expanding Food Stamp program to help pregnant women , infants, and young children :

Source: https://co.midland.mi.us/HealthDepartment/WomenChildrensServices/WIC.aspx

Brinkley: The President earlier today proposed expanding the food stamp program to help pregnant women , infants, and young children. The new proposed program will be called the Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, and Children which will provide participants of the program access to the nutritious food they otherwise wouldn't get and better access to healthcare as well.

Senator Walter Mondale earlier today announced he will be sponsoring a bill that would create exactly the type of program the President wants to be created.

Hollings proposes creation of a new tax credit called the Child Tax Credit :

Chancellor: The President today proposed the creation of a new tax credit called the Child Tax Credit which will be of the amount of $100 per qualifying child. These are the requirements for a child to qualify and all of these requirements have to be met for a child to qualify

- Child Must be 17 Years or younger at the end of Tax Year
- The child must be your legally your own child, legally your own sibling or a descendant of any of those people.
- The child must not have provided over half of their own financial support
- You must claim the child as a dependent on your tax return
- You Child must be a Citizen or resident of the United States
- Your Child must have lived with you for more than half of the tax year

This bill has already gotten lots of bipartisan support and is expected to easily pass congress
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #393 on: December 02, 2019, 04:52:48 AM »
« Edited: December 02, 2019, 05:05:06 AM by Old School Republican »

Note: Unlike in OTL , children who are 17 will be considered eligible and there is no phase-out threshold(though that may be added in final bill).

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #394 on: December 03, 2019, 05:58:59 PM »

President Hollings's Address to a Joint Session of Congress:

Speaker O'Neill: Ladies and Gentlemen, members of Congress: It is my high privilege and distinguished honor to present to you the President of the United States(Standing Ovation)

President Hollings: Thank You, Thank You. Mr.Vice President, Mr.Speaker, members of congress: it is truly a great honor for me to be standing here giving this address in the people's house and I am very optimistic on what we can accomplish together over the next 4 years(Applause). The first priority for us must be in making sure our economy fully recovers from the recession that hit our nation a few years ago and with the bill that raises the minimum wage we have already taken our first step in doing so (Applause). I have recently also proposed creating a program called the Special Supplemental Food Program to make sure every child or mother in this country can have a nutritious diet(Applause) and I also believe we should give families a $100 dollar tax credit for every qualifying child to make it easier for families to raise their children(Applause) .

Now people may ask how do those two things have to do with the state of our economy and that is a great question. The fact is studies have shown if kids are able to have access to a nutritious diet then they will get sick less which means families wont have to spend so much on medical care and instead can spend the money the way they would like it too(Applause) which then helps our economy grow(Applause). As for the child tax credit well that would mean working families would see their disposable incomes go up as well which also will help our economy grow(Applause). The fact is when the working men and women of this nation do better , are economy as a whole will be better so it will be a the focus of this administration to really help raise the fortunes of the working-class people of this country once again(Standing Ovation).

Now another thing important when it comes to having a sound economic policy is making sure the mitigating factors which caused the last recession dont happen again(Applause) which means if we want a strong economy in the future, it starts with having a coherent energy policy as well(Applause). The first thing that must be done to reach that goal is we first must modernize our infrastructure which is why I will be proposing that Congress allocate 100 Billion Dollars  over the next 10 years to help increase energy production and do it all across this great nation of ours(Applause) and that not only will increase our energy supply but help create many new jobs as well(Standing Ovation ). We also must begin to research alternative forms of energy and the reason is simple , because that will go long ways in increasing energy supplies and increase competition which will either lead to lower prices or higher quality which is exactly what we need(Applause). We also must work with our allies and the rest of the world , not just on this issue but in solving problems period and that is what our nation has done for the past 35 years and will continue to do so in the following decades(Standing Ovation).

First, we must once again work with the United Nations, NATO and other international organizations to eliminate nuclear weapons from the face of this planet(Applause). That does not mean we will unilaterally disarm but it will be the position of this nation that we will be willing to get rid of our nuclear arsenal provided the rest of the world does so as well(Standing Ovation). We also must work with our enemies like the Soviet Union so we can finally reach some sort of detente which then will reduce the chances of war which as the commander of chief is my number 1 job(Applause) because the safety of our troops is more important than any other responsibility. Thank You, May God Bless You and may god Bless America
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #395 on: December 04, 2019, 03:04:35 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2019, 03:24:30 AM by Old School Republican »

Congress passes Child Tax Credit and WIP program bills and President Hollings signs them into law

Source: https://www.postandcourier.com/photo_galleries/ernest-f-fritz-hollings-remembered-in-photos/collection_b2a61a30-2440-11e7-915d-7fa5583009cb.html

Brinkley: The President today signed into two pieces of legislation, one the child tax credit which gives taxpayers $100 tax credit for each qualifying child and that bill passed with unanimous consent in both the house and senate as prominent conservatives and liberals from both houses publically came out in favor of it. The President also signed into law a bill that creates a program called the  Special Supplemental Food Program for Women, Infants, and Children which also got a good amount of bipartisan support. President Hollings while signing the bill called this a great day for working class families and their children and praised members of both parties who supported both the bills.

UMWA set a strike date for June 1st

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Mine_Workers

Brinkley: The UMWA officially announced that if no deal if reached between them and BCAO they will walk out on June 1st and resume the last strike which took place in the Fall of 1975.  Original plans were for the UMWA to walk out on the same day former President Goldwater's usage of Taft-Harelty lapsed but Labor Secretary Woodcock was able to convince UMWA leadership to hold off on calling a strike for a few more weeks in hopes negotiations can get more serious.

Chancellor: Well at this point I think another strike is inevitable as there is so much bad blood between the sides over what happened last time and it may require a political solution.

Transportation Secretary Pat Brown introduces Infrastructure Plan:

Source:https://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries/archives/la-me-edmund-g-pat-brown-19960217-story.html

Brown: The President is proposing that we spend 100 billion dollars over the next 10 years to invest in our national infrastructure and here is the pie chart so you know how we plan to allocate that money

As you can see we will spend 30 billion on oil and gas insfraustrue which will help our nation increase energy production and avoid crises that we have faced the past few years, and another 15 billion dollars in updating our electric grid so we can more efficently deliver electiricty to you the American people, and another 5 billion dollars in alternative forms of energy and the reason that is important  as we only have finite resources so it is important we expand our tool box so we can guarntee we can produce enough energy we always need.

Media Member: Still though only 50% of the adminstation infrastructure proposal goes to energy, what about the other 50%.

Brown: Good question but I was just getting to that part. As you can see we will be spending 30% on highways and the reason that is important is science has shown that driving on the freeways uses less gas for the same amount of mileage then on inner roads and research as shown that when there is more traafic more gas is used so what this proposal will do is save Americans more trips to the gas station which in turn will save Americans a lof of money as well. Public Transportation will be spent on things such as adding more train tracks , and cross country bus trips which gives Americans the alternative to having to spend so much on gas to go across the nation.

Now we have kept 10% of the money to be spent however the states would like them to be spent as much of the infrasuture we have to improve is state infrasture not federal.

Chancellor: The only question is how does the President plan to fund it given the fact that this progam will cost 10 billion a year . So either social programs has to be cut which the President pledged not to cut, defense spending has to be cut which the Presidnet has pledged not to cut unliaterly , or taxes have to be raised and problem is that will ruin the biparitisan nature the President wants on this bill which means taxes will have to be dealt with first on a seperate bill and how successfull that effort will  be , nobody knows.

Hollings's Approvals remain extremely high due to early successes:

President Hollings's Approval Rating:

Approve: 72%(+4%)
Disapprove: 15%(-1%)
Neither: 13%(-3%)

House Generic Ballot:

Democrats: 51%(+3%)
Republicans: 41%(-1%)
Neither/Other: 8%(-2%)

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #396 on: December 06, 2019, 01:27:26 AM »

Hollings proposes raising top corporate tax rate from 30% to 33% to pay for Infrastructure plan

Brinkley: Earlier today President Hollings proposed raising the top corporate tax rate from 30% to 33.3% in order to pay for his infrastructure plan.  He also announced he wants it passed in the same bill and said he believes its a reasonable proposal as it is a very small tax increase and he said this infrastructure bill will help them more than the small tax hit will hurt them.  When asked about if he still plans to address the tax issue he said yes, when it comes to individual taxes we will address that in a seperate bill.

We are told many Republicans likely will not fight this bill and rather save their powder to fight the upcoming tax proposal by the administration which we are told will come either this month or next month. Instead we are told they will push for making this tax hike temporary and set to automatically expire in 10 years once all the money for this infrastructure bill has been allocated.

Chancellor: That is a very smart play in my opinion as trying to block this bill will likely be unpopular as many polls have shown but most voters when we polled them on should any tax hike passed in this bill be temporary said yes they should be temporary so fighting for that provision would be smart. The reason is right now the administration has been claiming that this provision is only here to fund the project and nothing else and Republicans saying alright then lets make it temporary puts Democrats on the record of whether or not that provision is only their to get funding for the bill or whether or not they are using the infrastructure bill as cover to pass tax hikes  .

Breaking News: Tentative Agreement to hand over control of the Panama Canal Reached

Chancellor: We have some breaking news to announce and that is that a deal to hand over control of the Panama Canal has been reached. The details are now just emerging but here are are the two main details:

- Panama will get full control of the Canal by 12:00 on December 31st 1999
- US will retain its Permanent Right to defend the canal

In Response to this former Secretary Of State Richard Nixon announced he will lobby against the ratification of the treaty and we are told many Republican senators such as Strom Thurmond , Jesse Helms, John Tower , George Deukmejian, Richard Schweiker and  Jack Kemp will fight against the ratification of this treaty and even some Democrats such as Senators Allen, Eastland, Stennis, Harry Byrd, Johnston have decided to join these Republican senators in their effort to stop the treaty.

Brokaw: We are told that Senate Majority Robert Byrd is looking for ways to stop more Democrats from defecting on this issue because already due to the decision of these 5 Democrats to defect it means Democrats will need 18 or 19 Republicans to vote for the ratification of this treaty depending on the result of South Carolina Special Election and that is already not an easy task, but that Republican number will be even higher is more Democrats defect. Many Democrats are asking Senator Byrd to punish these 5 Democrats to send a message but doing so wont be easy as if those 5 Democrats decide to change their party affiliation to the Republican party as a Response well then the Democrats will lose their majority.

Details of Treaty:

Details of Panama Canal Treaty Part 1

Details of Panama Canal Treaty Part 2

Infrastructure Bill passes with Bipartisan support after an amendment to make tax increases automatically  expire after 10 years is put in the final bill and President Hollings signs bill:

Source: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Anacortes_Refinery_31911.JPG

Chancellor: the President earlier today got another victory as Congress passed his infrastructure bill and he signed it into law. They did agree to a Republican Amendment to make the tax increase automatically expire after 10 years once all the money from this bill has been allocated.

The Bill had surprise advocates such as California Governor Ronald Reagan whose advice to conservatives was to just fight to make the increase automatically expire and then use your firepower to stop their main tax bill which will come out next month.

Brokaw: Like you said earlier, smart decision by the Republicans as blocking this would be unpopular but they forced the Democrats to agree to this amendment so it doesnt make it seem like Democrats are using this bill as cover to pass tax increases.

Breaking News: Coal Miners go back on strike after both sides fail to reach a deal

Brinkley: Despite a marathon round between the UMWA and BCOA , we are told not only did they fail to reach a deal but both sides arent any closer either to one which means the Coal Miners have gone back on strike and according to analysts it could go on for months.

Labor Secretary Woodwock said trying to get an agreement between the sides will be his top priority until a deal is reached .

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #397 on: December 07, 2019, 03:52:51 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2020, 09:49:34 PM by Old School Republican »

Treasury Secretary Paul Samuelson announces adminstration will push for House to partially repeal 1973 Tax Bill:

Details of Plan:

- New Income Tax Rates: 8 Brackets which have marginal rates that go from a low 10% to high of 54%.

- Rate Increases wont apply to $35,000 or less

- Corporate Tax Rate: 33.3% Rate made Permenant

Brinkley: Essiently the 54% rate is the rate before the 1973 tax reform bill and right so basically they are pushing for that but its surprising they went over the 50% mark.

Chancellor: Well I think they know they wont get rates that high but I believe they most likely are using this as a negotiation  tactic to get the rate they actually want

Brinkley: No surprise that New York Senator Jack Kemp along with the Republican leadership have announced they will be going to go all in to fight this tax bill and they said they believe they can get enough Democrats to defeat this bill.

Chancellor: Yup I think the chances of the Republicans working with the Democrats on this is slim to none with the exception of some senators like Javits but Senator Kemp believes he can get enough conservative Democrats on their side to defeat this.

Hollings suffers first defeat of Presidency as Interim Senator William Westmoreland holds on in Special election . On other hand Democrats win special elections for two open house seats

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Westmoreland

Brinkley: Interim Senator William Westmoreland managed to hold of Congressman James Mann by a 3 point margin and will serve out the rest of former Senator and now President Hollings term in the senate . This defeat marks the first major defeat of the Hollings term as even those Congressman Mann trailed in the polls throughout the campaign, he hoped he could get him over the finish line and held a rally for the Congressman as well.

One reason it might not have worked is Senator Strom Thurmond , Governor James Edwards , and even former President Goldwater who was popular in South Carolina all came and held rallies for Senator Westmoreland as well which probably helped him hold on

Chancellor: Well Senator Westmoreland did lead in the polls throughout so yes on paper it looks bad but he was a fabulous candidate and was always gonna be tough to beat. On the other hand Democrats got  wins in the other two congressional races as in Director George Mahon former congressional seat, TX-19 the Democrat Dirk West easily won reelection by almost a 2-1 margin and in Senator Harley Staggers former congressional seat WV-02 was won by his son Harley Staggers Jr by over 20 point margin as well. So this election night I would say is mixed for the Democrats.

Brinkley: Well that means they will need 19 Republicans to pass the Panama Canal Treaty now, and the tax bill will be slightly harder as well .

Coal Miner strike comes to an end as both sides reach a Deal:

Chancellor: The Coal Miner strike has come to an end as both the UMWA and BCOA have come to an agreement which will last 15 years with both sides able to opt out after 10 years. Some of the details of the agreement is the BCOA agreed to the wage increase demand, and a better healthcare and pension plan and in return the UMWA agreed to a condition that in the future any wildcat strikers can be terminated from their jobs .

Labor Secretary Leonard Wood has been praised for his work to end this strike as he was able to help facilitate this deal
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #398 on: December 11, 2019, 01:58:23 AM »

House Ways and Means Committee passes the Administration's Tax Proposal

Brinkley: The House Ways and Means Committee earlier today passed the administration's tax proposal with a few minor changes on largely a party-line vote sending it to the full floor of the house of representatives

Chancellor: I think this bill as it currently stands will pass the House of Representatives as right now Liberals have an ideological majority in the house, so it very likely will pass here. It is the senate where it very doubtful that it can pass in its current form and changes likely will be made to the bill.

Breaking News: US to meet with Soviet Union in Berlin for 2nd round of Arms Limitation Talks in September 

Source: https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/47122488

Brinkley: We have some major news to announce and that is the US and the Soviet Union will meet in September for a second round of arms limitation talks . We are told the US delegation will be attended by President Hollings, Vice President Muskie, Secretary of State Fulbright, Secretary of Defense Vance, Ambassador  Moynihan , National Security Advisor Jones, and a few senators as well .  We are also told The President will also have a private meeting with Soviet Leader Brezhnev .

We are told this 4 summit will take place in both West and East Berlin with 2 days being allocated for each city.

House passes Tax Proposal with few changes:

Source: https://www.thoughtco.com/tip-o-neill-4582706

Chancellor: The President's tax proposal sailed through the house as expected with very few changes made and it will now go to the senate where most people believe there will be major changes made to the bill. To remind viewers, the tax proposal repeals the 1973 tax cut for anyone making $35,000 or more and makes their temporary corporate tax increase permanent.

Brinkley: With a liberal majority in the house , its not surprise this bill passed through the house in this form but the chances of it passing in this form in the senate are slim to none. It also is not popular among the people as an NBC poll shows only 37% of Americans approve of this bill while 52% disapprove but when asked would you support a more partial version of this bill , Americans are more split but with huge numbers of undecided it could go either way.

Hollings's approvals drop in latest polls:

President Hollings's Approval:

Approve: 62%(-5%)
Dissapprove: 30%(+7%)

House Generic Ballot:

Democrats: 47%(-3%)
Republicans: 42%(+1%)
538Electoral

« Reply #399 on: December 11, 2019, 11:44:17 PM »

Nice.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 23