A Different Republican Icon (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:14:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  A Different Republican Icon (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who do you think will win the 1980 Election
Fritz Hollings

Jack Kemp

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 9

Author Topic: A Different Republican Icon  (Read 67921 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« on: January 31, 2019, 03:42:33 AM »

Interesting primaries. McCarthy seems to be doing well so 1972 could be a pretty stark left vs right ideological contest. I know it's earlier in the TL, but the 1970 results were cool and I liked how the Senate and House moved in strongly opposite directions and the GOP gaining the Senate, that result is pretty unique.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 04:24:28 AM »

Interesting that there's no major third-party bid since there seems like there'd be a good bloc of voters(not enough to win at least in a First Past the Post system though, which might be the reason why) that would find both candidates to be bad fits. Still looks like Goldwater will win in a landslide, perhaps McCarthy will avoid McGovern's blunders and lose somewhat more respectably.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2019, 12:42:36 AM »

Interesting that there's no major third-party bid since there seems like there'd be a good bloc of voters(not enough to win at least in a First Past the Post system though, which might be the reason why) that would find both candidates to be bad fits. Still looks like Goldwater will win in a landslide, perhaps McCarthy will avoid McGovern's blunders and lose somewhat more respectably.

Well in OTL not center-left candidate entered the race as a third party candidate even though McGovern was the nominee and along with the fact that foreign policy was a huge issue in those days ensures Liberal Republicans wont run a third party.

McCarthy's foreign policy just scares too many people and that keeps Liberals in the GOP from running a third-party candidate .

Ah ok, guess that makes sense. Ironic that Barry Goldwater would be the 'safe' candidate on foreign policy given what happened irl, but within this scenario it is a good touch and seems plausible.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2019, 02:46:30 PM »

Wow a Republian House, big night for the GOP. Looking forward to more!
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 02:27:18 AM »

Very brutal results for McCarthy, probably worse than I expected. Seems like Goldwater will get over 500 electoral votes in the end given McGovern lost Pennsylvania by 20 points. It does seem that McCarthy may be a better fit for the Northeast while McGovern was a better fit for the West, is this accurate? Still I'm betting on 501 electoral votes for Goldwater given the landslide is so immense, a Republican trifecta is an interesting dynamic too.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 02:46:12 AM »

Interesting update-I hope the flat tax doesn’t pass and will be interested in seeing how the abortion rights battle progresses in this TL.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2019, 04:38:10 AM »

I don't think I like the Goldwater administration's recent moves, the tax plan is concerning for me ideologically. It would be interesting to how things go differently if it passes (is it going to put a hole in the budget?).
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 02:45:45 AM »

Looks like the 'six year itch' struck and its a Democratic wave, at least in the House.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2019, 06:51:10 PM »

Lol Florida still has to act like rl Florida.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 03:42:26 AM »

Surprised the Anderson voters preferred Reagan given in 1980 they split like 49% to Carter and 39% to Reagan (not entirely sure if these are the exact numbers just off the top of my head). Interesting that Hollings won and that there is a PV-EC split.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 04:07:29 AM »

Surprised the Anderson voters preferred Reagan given in 1980 they split like 49% to Carter and 39% to Reagan (not entirely sure if these are the exact numbers just off the top of my head). Interesting that Hollings won and that there is a PV-EC split.

Well in 1980 , many liberal voters inside the Democratic party had become very dissatisfied with Carter and thus voted Anderson to voice their frustration while on the other hand while liberal Republicans weren't that satisfied with Reagan, many voted for him anyway due to the fact they wanted to get rid of Carter.

In this TL after 8 years of Republican control of the White House, it is liberal Republicans not liberal Democrats who are more likely to voice their frustration while liberal Democrats are more likely to support the nominee .

Ok that makes sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies