2020: An unlikey Progressive candidate for president
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:25:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2020: An unlikey Progressive candidate for president
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020: An unlikey Progressive candidate for president  (Read 1849 times)
Joey1996

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2018, 01:09:23 PM »

November 19, 2018

Nearly two weeks ago the Democratic Party put on an impressive performance to retake the lower chamber of the United States Congress, gaining 32 seats in the House of Representatives. This coincided with a narrow defeat in the Senate where the party gained seats in Nevada and Arizona, while maintaining control in New Jersey, Florida, Montana and West Virginia, and losing in Missouri, Indiana and North Dakota.

Today, at a rally on the steps of the Capitol Building in Washington, D.C. an announcement was made which exhilarated the entirety of progressive movement, and sent waves through social media. Representative Ro Khanna (D-CA), was joined by former Senator Russ Feingold (D-WI), former state Senator and Bernie 2016 surrogate Nina Turner (D-OH), political commentator Cenk Uygur and soon-to-be Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY) in announcing The Committee for a Progressive America (CPA for short), a conglomerate of left-leaning organizations and lawmakers who aim to push a variety of progressive policies, including health care, education, wage and prison reform, through the new Congress.

The biggest declaration of the day--the CPA plans on creating a publically founded political action committee and platform for a 2020 presidential candidate. This has sparked interest in Washington because the organization revealed a number of executives and lawmakers who have pledged their support to the movement, including presumed presidential hopefuls Senators Bernie Sanders (I-VT), Jeff Merkley (D-OR), Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Sherrod Brown (D-OH) and Mayor Bill de Blasio (Democrat from New York City). The CPA plans to reveal a single candidate from an undisclosed list of 15 by March, this is to dissuade more than one progressive from joining what is assumed to be the largest Democratic field in presidential primary history, and splitting the vote.

"The time to challenge this administration begins in January, when this newly elected Congress passes competent legislation which overturns the president's setbacks in healthcare, immigration, education, labor rights and environmental protection. However this fight mustn't stop there, we have to get behind a single candidate for 2020 who will represent the progressive morals of Americans across the nation and we must put all of our weight behind that person, not only to win the Democratic nomination but the White House. We cannot allow another 4 years of Trump and his oppressive administration" said Ro Khanna at the rally.
Joey1996

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 01:44:41 PM »

January 4, 2019

The Committee for a Progressive America, or CPA has gained its first major victory during the first meeting of the 116th Congress.

As House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) passed the gavel to Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) many expected a rudimentary, bi-partisan speech from the twice elected Speaker. Outside of a few jabs at President Trump, this was mostly true, however Speaker Pelosi did what many on the left hoped for but didn't quite expect--embrace progressive reform. The Speaker called for a raise in the federal minimum wage, a massive cut in defense spending, education reform, decriminalization of certain minor drug offenses, a pathway to citizenship for nearly 3 million undocumented immigrants and most surprisingly Medicare for all.

This is seen as a huge victory for progressives and particularly the CPA, though some critics question how any of this could get done with Republicans still in control of the Senate and White House.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 05:48:32 PM »

Colour me intrigued.
Joey1996

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 01:54:46 PM »

Thanks for responding lol. Was waiting for people to show some interest before continuing.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 04:28:09 PM »

Thanks for responding lol. Was waiting for people to show some interest before continuing.

I’m interested as well.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 04:32:28 PM »

I’m interested as well.
Joey1996

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 06:26:28 AM »

Will continue today, thanks guys Smiley
Joey1996

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 01:22:51 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2018, 01:43:39 PM by Joey1996 »

February 12, 2019

Email leaks reveal CPA's list of 15 potential candidates for president

A series of emails from aides of The Committee for a Progressive America were leaked early Tuesday morning, they revealed a previously undisclosed list of 15 individuals the organization believes can become the next Democratic nominee for president. Many of the names on the list were expected, while others were a mix of pleasant and head scratching surprises. The emails showed that officials from the CPA are currently divided on who should be the frontrunner, and have weighed the good and bad each candidate brings to the table--while two aides joked that certain candidates were only in the race for a potential cabinet position.

The list of 15, in no particular order:

1. Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont
2. Senator Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts
3. Senator Jeff Merkley of Oregon
4. Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio
5. New York City Mayor Bill de Blassio
6. Representative Tulsi Gabbard of Hawaii
7. Representative David Cicilline of Rhode Island
8. Former Representative Alan Grayson of Florida
9. Maine Secretary of State Matthew Dunlap
10. Michigan Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson
11. Former Mayor of Garden Grove, California Bao Nguyen
12. Actress and candidate for Governor of New York Cynthia Nixon
13. Businessman Andrew Yang of New York
14. Comedian Jimmy Dore of Illinois
15. Rapper Clifford "T.I." Harris of Georgia

In response to the leaks, CPA chairman Ro Khanna has flirted with the idea of announcing his organization's choice a month early. According to a recent CNN poll, Senator Sanders leads the pack with a whopping 63% of support from self-described progressive voters--Senator Warren is a distant second with 19%.
Joey1996

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 01:30:59 PM »

President Trump's response to the news. Ignore the date lol

Joey1996

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 01:59:44 PM »

February 15, 2019

Gillibrand becomes the first major Democratic nominee for 2020

So far the Democratic field for the 2020 presidential election has been seen as non-serious, and full of long shots campaigns such as those of Representative John Delany from Maryland, and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti. This all changed today however when Senator Kirsten Gillibrand of New York became the first candidate seen as a major challenger for the nomination to join the fray. Gillibrand touted her strong record of voting against Donald Trump's agenda, and her progressive values as the reasons she is the best choice to defeat the president next November. When asked why she was left off a list of 15 individuals chosen by The Committee for a Progressive America to represent progressives in the Democratic primary Gillibrand said, "You know what, I'm not sure why I didn't get that call but it's fine. My colleagues in the Senate and more importantly, my constituents in New York know where I stand on the issues. I support Medicare for all, I support an increase in the minimum wage, I support a ban on assault weapons in this country, and I will fight for those causes if I am nominated to represent the Democratic Party."
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 03:59:12 AM »

Update?
Joey1996

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 12:03:09 PM »

Happy there is still some interest. I will update tomorrow, thank you
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong