Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:45:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Stacey Abrams: Part of "Blue Wave" is those who are UNDOCUMENTED  (Read 3605 times)
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2018, 03:46:42 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I would have expected Abrams, running for governor in a center-right state, to at least pretend she actually cares about the rule of law and putting the interests of Georgia's citizens first. Instead, she's essentially running for president through this gubernatorial process and doubling down on the hard-left turn the Democratic party has taken during the Trump years.

She should be kept as far away from the governor's mansion as possible.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 03:49:46 PM »

Hopefully she wins. Y'all are mad that some politicians actually view undocumented people as deserving of some dignity and humanity rather than being separated from their families and forced into camps.

But y'all are Republicans for a reason I guess.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 03:50:44 PM »

Wait wait, this is perfect. Don't you think she knows that undocumented people can't vote and was simply referring to their influence in public discourse rather than their ability to vote? That seems like a rather elementary inference.

But here you are, taking her words 100% at a literal at face value. Here's the contrast I called you out on in the Romney thread. But alas, here we are...

Hackish double standards

Smiley
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 03:55:50 PM »

Wait wait, this is perfect. Don't you think she knows that undocumented people can't vote and was simply referring to their influence in public discourse rather than their ability to vote? That seems like a rather elementary inference.

But here you are, taking her words 100% at a literal at face value. Here's the contrast I called you out on in the Romney thread. But alas, here we are...

Hackish double standards

Smiley

Oh, ya got me, I guess I should just give up now.

No. With that Romney comment, I said clearly that his statement was wrong in the form it was said. So it is here, except this has far more dangerous implications - legitimizing support from illegal immigrants as an electoral strategy.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 03:56:38 PM »

Hopefully she wins. Y'all are mad that some politicians actually view undocumented people as deserving of some dignity and humanity rather than being separated from their families and forced into camps.

But y'all are Republicans for a reason I guess.

Not saying they should be viewed as people, simply saying they shouldn't be viewed as part of an electoral strategy to take back power in America.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 03:58:08 PM »

Hackish double standards

Smiley

No. With that Romney comment, I said clearly that his statement was wrong in the form it was said. So it is here, except this has far more dangerous implications - legitimizing support from illegal immigrants as an electoral strategy.

Oh yeah? Saying that a president cannot be impeached, the only mechanism of control over an out of control executive with nuclear codes, is less dangerous?  Angry
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »

My guess is that she's saying that part of the blue wave is standing up for the humanity of undocumented immigrants, because more Americans than not don't believe in putting children in cages and laughing when they cry because of getting separated from their parents. Some of us care more about the fact that many are being treated as less than human than the fact that their status is not currently legal.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2018, 04:01:48 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2018, 04:04:54 PM by ThatConservativeGuy »

Hackish double standards

Smiley

Oh yeah? Saying that a president cannot be impeached, the only mechanism of control over an out of control executive with nuclear codes, is less dangerous?  Angry

Look, with the Romney comment, you have two options: either you think he's so dumb that he doesn't know how impeachment works OR you understand that he's saying impeachment of Trump would not be the proper move.

With the Abrams comment, considering that she said this within the context of taking back power, which is done through... ya know... votes... is it not reasonable to say it's improper to mention illegal immigrants in the list of people that will aid in that goal?
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »

My guess is that she's saying that part of the blue wave is standing up for the humanity of undocumented immigrants, because more Americans than not don't believe in putting children in cages and laughing when they cry because of getting separated from their parents. Some of us care more about the fact that many are being treated as less than human than the fact that their status is not currently legal.

This seems exactly like what she's saying.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 04:06:30 PM »

I see your point and can sympathize, and if that's what she is actually saying, then again, it lends to the idea that she's essentially treating this gubernatorial run as a pretext to running for president. Last time I checked, the Federal Government runs immigration policy, and it wasn't Nathan Deal putting kids in cages.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 04:06:46 PM »

Hackish double standards

Smiley

Look, with the Romney comment, you have two options: either you think he's so dumb that he doesn't know how impeachment works OR you understand that he's saying impeachment of Trump would not be the proper move.

With the Abrams comment, considering that she said this within the context of taking back power, which is done through... ya know... votes... is it not reasonable to say its improper to mention illegal immigrants in the list of people that will aid in that goal?

Sure, it's improper because the statement lacks nuance, but...

Look, with the Abrams comment, you have two options: either you think she's so dumb that she doesn't know that undocumented people can't vote OR you understand that she's saying that undocumented people can't vote, but do contribute to public discourse and can influence voting patterns as part of a larger coalition.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 04:09:17 PM »

What she meant doesn't really matter; it's horrid optics in a more-conservative-than-not state like Georgia.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »

I see your point and can sympathize, and if that's what she is actually saying, then again, it lends to the idea that she's essentially treating this gubernatorial run as a pretext to running for president. Last time I checked, the Federal Government runs immigration policy, and it wasn't Nathan Deal putting kids in cages.

Someone should tell Kobach that because he talked about immigration as if he was running for federal office.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 04:20:08 PM »

I cannot wait to see how ThatConservativeGuy reacts when Abrams wins.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2018, 04:22:41 PM »

I was undecided before this post. Now I am voting abrams because i am tired of your sh*t.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2018, 04:23:34 PM »

Hackish double standards

Smiley

With the Abrams comment, considering that she said this within the context of taking back power, which is done through... ya know... votes... is it not reasonable to say its improper to mention illegal immigrants in the list of people that will aid in that goal?

Look, with the Abrams comment, you have two options: either you think she's so dumb that she doesn't know that undocumented people can't vote OR you understand that she's saying that undocumented people can't vote, but do contribute to public discourse and can influence voting patterns as part of a larger coalition.

Or you understand she's playing to the Democratic Primary voters she so desperately wants in the future.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 04:24:34 PM »

Yawn. Nobody cares about this except for people who already hated her.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2018, 04:24:50 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2018, 04:37:30 PM by ThatConservativeGuy »

I was undecided before this post. Now I am voting abrams because i am tired of your sh*t.

My sh*t? Pretty sure this is the first thread I've made about Abrams, so... it must not take much to make you tired.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2018, 04:27:31 PM »

She may have higher ambitions, but she shouldn't wouldn't be the first gubernatorial candidate who ran with their eyes on a higher prize.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2018, 04:29:08 PM »

Hackish double standards

Smiley

Oh yeah? Saying that a president cannot be impeached, the only mechanism of control over an out of control executive with nuclear codes, is less dangerous?  Angry

Or you understand she's playing to the Democratic Primary voters she so desperately wants in the future.

Or you understand he's playing to Trump, who he so desperately wants to please.

We can play this game all day. In the end, it comes down to the difference in the standards of evidence to which you hold people depending on their party, which ends up surfacing as hackishness.
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2018, 04:33:33 PM »

Hackish double standards

Smiley

Or you understand he's playing to Trump, who he so desperately wants to please.

We can play this game all day. In the end, it comes down to the difference in the standards of evidence to which you hold people depending on their party, which ends up surfacing as hackishness.

Alright, we'll call it a truce. Let's just not pretend as though you haven't done the same in this thread, - ignoring a problematic comment by a Democrat by obfuscating with a comment by Mitt Romney. Wasn't aware he was running for governor of Georgia, though I wish he was Tears of joy
TPIG
ThatConservativeGuy
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2018, 04:41:53 PM »

I cannot wait to see how ThatConservativeGuy reacts when Abrams wins.

You say that as though I said she has no chance to win. She definitely has a good chance. I'm simply saying she SHOULDN'T win.

Also, you won't get to see it. I almost never post on Atlas during election nights. Smile I prefer to look at actual data and results rather than reading people's political posturing. Though I do occasionally check in to see people's heads exploding.

KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2018, 04:46:47 PM »

What she meant doesn't really matter; it's horrid optics in a more-conservative-than-not state like Georgia.

I’m inclined to agree with this, even if I think everybody else’s interpretation of her comments are accurate
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 04:49:05 PM »

tbh TCG, thinking she literally meant the votes of undocumented immigrants is reallly reaching. I think it's more likely to mean the marginalized voters in society, the ones that the census doesn't even accurately capture (transient citizens both disproportionately young and non-white). She isn't dumb, she knows undocumented immigrants legally can't vote and in Georgia, literally can't, due to photo ID laws.

But as others have said, it is an optics issue.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 04:49:21 PM »

My sh*t? Pretty sure this is the first thread I've made about Abrams, so... it must not take much to make you tired.

Knowing snotty, elitist kids like you are big fans of Kemp makes me go to his opponent.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies