Why was Prop 187 considered racist and xenophobic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:15:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why was Prop 187 considered racist and xenophobic
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why was Prop 187 considered racist and xenophobic  (Read 4728 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2018, 11:10:19 PM »
« edited: October 14, 2018, 11:18:36 PM by Old School Republican »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_187

I mean all it really did was prohibit illegal immigrants(key word is illegal immigrant) from receiving non-emergency public services. One of the best way to solve the issue actually is not by deportation or a wall but by getting rid of the incentive of illegal immigration which by enforcing an everify system(so illegal immigrants cant get jobs) and cutting of public services.

If you were a legal immigrant this prop didnt affect you one bit, it only affected people here who came illegally.

This was not CA version of Arizona SB 1070 which definitely was xenophobic and should not have been enacted

Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 08:16:57 AM »

A. It was blatantly trying to get the brown people out, B. the biggest reason we legally accept so few(thus forcing people to go undocumented) is racism against mexicans, C. the hysteria about undocumented workers is motivated entirely by their brownness/otherness, lets be honest, and D. Undocumented workers have a right to basic things like education and healthcare. And a third of this bills victims are children.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2018, 08:33:24 AM »

the flaw in your reasoning is that the people that cry "racism" all the time don't want to get rid of illegal aliens.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2018, 09:41:58 AM »

A. It was blatantly trying to get the brown people out, B. the biggest reason we legally accept so few(thus forcing people to go undocumented) is racism against mexicans, C. the hysteria about undocumented workers is motivated entirely by their brownness/otherness, lets be honest, and D. Undocumented workers have a right to basic things like education and healthcare. And a third of this bills victims are children.

A: The prop only applied if you were an illegal immigrant

B : America has one of the most generous immigration systems in the world and actually a merit based system(though not the proposal Tom Cotton had ) would be better

C: No it’s based on rule of law and in my opinion

Legal Immigration= Good
Illegal Immigration = Bad

D: Well it didn’t deny them from receiving healthcare in the first place , education yes but their parents should not receive non emergency gov benefits
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2018, 10:37:55 AM »

Many people see illegal immigration and Mexican as being conterminous. Pete Wilson ran ads showing Mexican people running across highways even though not all undocumented immigrants are Mexican. It was a political proposition to get him re-elected and even almost pulled Michael Huffington over the line for Senate. California still had a lot of racist elements at the time (particularly Southern California) and the rhetoric for Proposition 187 was either low key or outright racist.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 10:46:29 AM »

It wasn't but even illegals at least need some form of governmental assistance (including making school hard for children of illegal immigrants), meaning the law should have been opposed.

Also, Prop 187 was hardly the reason to why CA turned democratic which is a laughable claim.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2018, 10:51:47 AM »

Well, the nation has become quite reliant on illegals, especially Hispanic illegals to keep our agriculture industry functioning.  They do the jobs Americans are unwilling or unable to do.  Until you can come up with a system to acknowledge and incorporate them in a human manner, then yes, Prop 187 and everything else like it is racist and xenophobic.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 11:02:59 AM »

They come here to do the work that feeds your fat ass (people in general, not you specifically).  Yet you would deprive them (many being children who need education) of basic services because the rule of law.

Let’s start severely punishing these Republican voters relying on undocumented labor, then.  Confiscate their farms, imprison anyone with an ownership interest in these farms, and auction the farms off to people willing to obey the law.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »

Can we please stop saying “illegals”?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2018, 11:06:01 AM »

It wasn't but even illegals at least need some form of governmental assistance (including making school hard for children of illegal immigrants), meaning the law should have been opposed.

Also, Prop 187 was hardly the reason to why CA turned democratic which is a laughable claim.

It wasn’t the reason CA turned Democratic but it certainly helps them. The real reason CA turned dem was the collapse of defense industry, religious right taking over the gop and then it became titanium dem due to the Bush years and Arnold getting blamed for the 2009-2010 budget crises .
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2018, 11:11:47 AM »

A: The prop only applied if you were an illegal immigrant

B : America has one of the most generous immigration systems in the world and actually a merit based system(though not the proposal Tom Cotton had ) would be better

C: No it’s based on rule of law and in my opinion

Legal Immigration= Good
Illegal Immigration = Bad

D: Well it didn’t deny them from receiving healthcare in the first place , education yes but their parents should not receive non emergency gov benefits
A.Because targeting people with papers seemed politically unfeasible. There would not be the same hate of undocumented immigrants if they were all white, let's be honest.
B. Being less bad then everywhere else is a dumb defense.
C. "Rule of law" does not justify immorality.
D.no, they could only get emergency room care. They don't treat cancer, for example, in emergency rooms.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2018, 11:16:52 AM »

They come here to do the work that feeds your fat ass (people in general, not you specifically).  Yet you would deprive them (many being children who need education) of basic services because the rule of law.

Let’s start severely punishing these Republican voters relying on undocumented labor, then.  Confiscate their farms, imprison anyone with an ownership interest in these farms, and auction the farms off to people willing to obey the law.
Indeed.  We need to punish the people that hire the illegals more than we do the poor bastards just looking for a job and a better life for his kids.  If it makes our fresh fruit and veggies 40% more expensive to pay what it actually should cost to get an American to pick vegetables for a living, so be it.  Or, ya know, crazy idea here, if there are Mexicans (or whatever) willing to do the work we aren't willing to do, import them (and maybe make sure the healthy Americans that turned down the jobs aren't getting any benefits from the state).
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2018, 11:21:35 AM »

What would you prefer?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2018, 11:34:10 AM »

They come here to do the work that feeds your fat ass (people in general, not you specifically).  Yet you would deprive them (many being children who need education) of basic services because the rule of law.

Let’s start severely punishing these Republican voters relying on undocumented labor, then.  Confiscate their farms, imprison anyone with an ownership interest in these farms, and auction the farms off to people willing to obey the law.
Indeed.  We need to punish the people that hire the illegals more than we do the poor bastards just looking for a job and a better life for his kids.  If it makes our fresh fruit and veggies 40% more expensive to pay what it actually should cost to get an American to pick vegetables for a living, so be it.  Or, ya know, crazy idea here, if there are Mexicans (or whatever) willing to do the work we aren't willing to do, import them (and maybe make sure the healthy Americans that turned down the jobs aren't getting any benefits from the state).

Fresh fruit and veggies?  It will make every category of ag more expensive.  Why does Dakota county in Nebraska almost have a Hispanic majority now?  Why are there so many Hispanics in Eastern NC amid all the chicken and hog farms?

Just a quick note regarding Nebraska, it recently passed WV in population but both states still have about the same number of people 16 and over.  The total number of people working in WV is around 740,000 while in Nebraska it's 986,000. 

https://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.wv.htm

I guess instead of Hispanics, we could load up trains full of West Virginians to do the work.  Not sure which you'd prefer.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »

Undocumented immigrants. Or at least illegal immigrants if you can't do that much.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 11:49:36 AM »

Why are you okay with illegal immigrants but not illegals?
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 11:52:22 AM »

They're illegal just like alcohol was illegal in prohibition.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 12:02:55 PM »

Because the first implies “people who immigrated illegally”, while the second implies “people who are illegal”, and people aren’t illegal.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2018, 12:20:44 PM »

I'm not okay with it, but it's obviously less dehumanizing than "illegals"
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2018, 12:21:11 PM »

Because the first implies “people who immigrated illegally”, while the second implies “people who are illegal”, and people aren’t illegal.

They are if they’re here illegally.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2018, 12:21:17 PM »

I guess instead of Hispanics, we could load up trains full of West Virginians to do the work.  Not sure which you'd prefer.

I doubt even they would do this line of work unless they too were given a wage high enough to cause price of agricultural products to skyrocket.

Well, of course.  I just wanted to give dead0man some options.  
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2018, 12:31:40 PM »

I mean all it really did was prohibit illegal immigrants(key word is illegal immigrant) from receiving non-emergency public services. One of the best way to solve the issue actually is not by deportation or a wall but by getting rid of the incentive of illegal immigration which by enforcing an everify system(so illegal immigrants cant get jobs) and cutting of public services.

If you were a legal immigrant this prop didnt affect you one bit, it only affected people here who came illegally.

This was not CA version of Arizona SB 1070 which definitely was xenophobic and should not have been enacted

The only way to enforce such a system is an invasive and ubiquitious ID system. My older relatives didn't fight WWII so your racist, fascist cult can  waltz around saying "Papers, please".

And that wasn't the only thing wrong with it.

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2018, 12:37:26 PM »
« Edited: October 15, 2018, 12:42:08 PM by Old School Republican »

The only way to enforce such a system is an invasive and ubiquitious ID system. My older relatives didn't fight WWII so your racist, fascist cult can  waltz around saying "Papers, please".

And that wasn't the only thing wrong with it.

Um no as for jobs they can just enforce E Verify, and for benefits, they can ask for legal status on the application and require you to show proof at a similar office to the DMV where you would go submit the application. States like Oregon and California at the time which ban illegal immigrants from getting state issued ID's(https://ballotpedia.org/Oregon_Alternative_Driver_Licenses_Referendum,_Measure_88_(2014)) would only require you to show your state issued ID for proof.

This is not the Arizona law where cops or law enforcement and stop a random person and ask for their papers.
Vespucci
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »

They are if they’re here illegally.

No, they’re not. By that standard, anyone (including you) who has committed any crime or any municipal violation is an “illegal”.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies