Austria, like the US & Hungary, backs out of the UN migration pact
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:38:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austria, like the US & Hungary, backs out of the UN migration pact
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Austria, like the US & Hungary, backs out of the UN migration pact  (Read 1417 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 15, 2018, 08:50:47 AM »
« edited: November 01, 2018, 05:33:17 AM by Tender Branson »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-migrants-austria/austria-has-concerns-about-u-n-migration-pact-might-back-out-idUSKCN1MK2EJ
BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 03:46:11 PM »

If you think the current refugee crises around the world are bad, I've got some news for you as to what it's going to be like in the coming decades with environmental disasters on the horizon. Governments are going to be mowed down and overwhelmed whether they follow U.N. pacts or not.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 12:44:35 AM »

Austria has officially pulled out of the UN migration pact, after the US and Hungary did so already:

https://orf.at/stories/3087281
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 06:08:43 AM »

If you think the current refugee crises around the world are bad, I've got some news for you as to what it's going to be like in the coming decades with environmental disasters on the horizon. Governments are going to be mowed down and overwhelmed whether they follow U.N. pacts or not.
jeez man, we can see your boner.  Do try and contain yourself!

and how do you think refugees are going to "mow down" govts, especially the ones that are willing to secure their borders?  Of course it will overwhelm those that think they can take them in, it already is, but I'm not understanding how it would work for the good countries that aren't stupid?
Frozen Sky Ever Why
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 10:03:32 AM »

and how do you think refugees are going to "mow down" govts, especially the ones that are willing to secure their borders?  Of course it will overwhelm those that think they can take them in, it already is, but I'm not understanding how it would work for the good countries that aren't stupid?

Cenk Uygur for example has predicted a stampede of refugees into the United States due to global warming. He says a wall might be able to hold back 10,000, but not 10 to 20 million people.
Omega21

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 04:46:41 PM »

It really depends on how cucked countries in the EU will be in the future.

If we continue to see new, sensible right-wing governments come to power, I don't think it will be an issue.

Hungary is the perfect example of how borders are to be handled, although that approach is much more difficult to implement on the 3000+ km US Mexico border.

Don't get me wrong, illegals will always find a way into any country, so a part of the solution could be completely removing cash handouts for illegals and denying every application not made through the proper channels (i.e. just going to Germany and saying "Well yeah I'm here now, asylum plz thnx").
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 04:56:30 PM »

Cenk Uygur for example has predicted a stampede of refugees into the United States due to global warming. He says a wall might be able to hold back 10,000, but not 10 to 20 million people.

They would probably use minefields along the border in that case. Stretching for several miles inland so they wouldn't run out of active mines even if it was a big stampede.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2018, 06:40:18 PM »

They wouldn't use mines and certainly not miles of them...that's silly. 

It would be automated drones deploying various crowd control methods.  Less lethal ones at the start, more lethal ones if those didn't work.  Unless we're rocking a post scarcity economy like Star Trek, the US won't be letting in 20 million refugees at the same time, ever.  No matter how many commercials with Sarah MacGlaughlin music playing over images of dirty kids in camps that play during BBT reruns.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:42:02 PM »

Nah, it's cheap and efficient.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 05:30:48 AM »

Good. The UN sucks
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 05:34:32 AM »

Changed the title, because ÖVP/FPÖ did pull out of the UN immigration pact ...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/31/austria-rejects-un-migration-pact-defend-national-sovereignty
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 05:22:03 PM »

BBD uses The Camp of the Saints as masturbation material.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 05:33:44 PM »

Sure, compared to having humans every 100 yards, but not compared to drones.

Plus the the Feds don't own the land they would need to own to put "miles of land mines" on the border.  They've had that issue just trying to put up the wall and they only need a few hundred feet for that.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »

Sure, compared to having humans every 100 yards, but not compared to drones.

Plus the the Feds don't own the land they would need to own to put "miles of land mines" on the border.  They've had that issue just trying to put up the wall and they only need a few hundred feet for that.

If we are talking about a situation bad enough that tens of millions of people could be expected to storm the border things like property rights won't matter. The rules will be totally different in such a dystopian scenario.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 06:08:33 PM »

If we are talking about a situation bad enough that tens of millions of people could be expected to storm the border things like property rights won't matter. The rules will be totally different in such a dystopian scenario.
Sure, and land mines would still be a bad way to stop them.  You understand that they only work once right?  That they are indiscriminate?  That they are relatively easy to neutralize?  The DoD still uses them in some specific circumstances (Korea is the only place left I think), but they've mostly been replaced with better options.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 06:49:29 PM »

Sure, and land mines would still be a bad way to stop them. You understand that they only work once right?  That they are indiscriminate?  That they are relatively easy to neutralize?  The DoD still uses them in some specific circumstances (Korea is the only place left I think), but they've mostly been replaced with better options.

Of course, why else do you think I want a deep belt going miles into the country???

That they are indiscriminate wouldn't be a problem, in such a scenario you want to kill all the invaders.

I doubt they would be "easy to neutralize" for a huge disorganized mass of desperate migrants trying to storm the border.

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 07:41:50 PM »

Well you've clearly thought this through, I will stop trying to question your air tight logic.
rob in cal
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2018, 05:12:18 PM »

Just how significant is this pact in on the ground reality. Critics on the right are suggesting that it will enable and regularize mass immigration into the wealthy west, scare tactic or not?
Omega21

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2018, 05:33:31 PM »

Just how significant is this pact in on the ground reality. Critics on the right are suggesting that it will enable and regularize mass immigration into the wealthy west, scare tactic or not?

Technically, it is not law binding, but then again there was no law saying that criticizing Mohammed was illegal, yet the European court ruled against a woman who said: "He was a paedophile".

It is just another step to organized mass migration, so I'm glad countries are refusing to sign.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »

Isn't climate change going to make Siberia and Northern Canada warmer and more hospitable? Why can't these 3 billion Africans and Bengalis be settled there? Why do they have to be allowed to come to Western capitals that are already over populated? 
Omega21

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 08:28:41 PM »

Isn't climate change going to make Siberia and Northern Canada warmer and more hospitable? Why can't these 3 billion Africans and Bengalis be settled there? Why do they have to be allowed to come to Western capitals that are already over populated? 

I doubt Putin would be down with that...

On the other hand, Trudeau would be happy to cooperate!
seb_pard
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2018, 05:47:24 PM »

Chile out too because according to the government migration is not a human right (well, they said a few years ago that neither is education, so they are very coherent)

https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacional/2018/12/09/930180/Chile-se-resta-de-Pacto-para-la-Migracion-de-la-ONU-Gobierno-cuestiona-que-inmigrar-sea-un-derecho-humano.html

Although they probably think that FDI is a human right.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies