SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:06:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SB 2018-319: Atlasian School Safety Expansion Act (Final Vote)  (Read 2012 times)
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2018, 02:35:32 AM »
« edited: November 21, 2018, 04:39:32 PM by Sestak »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]

Sponsor: Lechasseur
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 02:56:56 AM »

It's alive! It's ALIVE!!!!
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:46:41 PM »

Yes it is!
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:55:18 PM »

This bill's goal is to improve safety in Atlasian schools by improving mental health testing and security in Atlasian schools to prevent the gun violence that has plagued Atlasian schools over the last 20 years.

This bill also wants to make sure that emergency equipment is upgraded and improve First Aid proficiency in Atlasian schools.

The Federal Government will subsidize Atlasian schools in order for them to implement these regulations.

This bill is funded in its totality.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2018, 11:58:40 PM »

It's been 12 days, anyone going to get things moving on this?
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 12:01:13 AM »

It's been 12 days, anyone going to get things moving on this?

If no one comments over the next 12 hours, I will move for a final vote.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 01:29:15 AM »

I'd just like to say,

"5. All schools must be installed with checkpoints in order to ensure that no weapons are brought onto a school premises"
"Checkpoints" are vague and could include explicit violations of privacy; being scanned as you enter the school, etc.

I urge all Senators to vote against this bill as its wording is vague enough it could be argued it condones violation of privacy.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »

I'd just like to say,

"5. All schools must be installed with checkpoints in order to ensure that no weapons are brought onto a school premises"
"Checkpoints" are vague and could include explicit violations of privacy; being scanned as you enter the school, etc.

I urge all Senators to vote against this bill as its wording is vague enough it could be argued it condones violation of privacy.

Would an amendment changing the wording from "checkpoints" to "metal detectors" make this bill acceptable to you?
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2018, 05:13:22 PM »

I'd just like to say,

Would an amendment changing the wording from "checkpoints" to "metal detectors" make this bill acceptable to you?
Still, isn't requiring metal detectors kind of an overreach? Let districts implement their own policies like in the other sections of this bill.
Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 01:28:17 AM »

I propose that the bill could be amended to allow states to opt out of checkpoints if they so desired to.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 02:24:49 AM »

As a separate matter, the January 1, 2019, deadline is probably unrealistic given we are now in November already(and this bill was written much earlier in 2018), so probably should be moved forward.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 02:43:56 AM »

With checkpoints, I'm no fan of this being the situation, but what I was thinking was it may be an unfortunate necessity given that the problem of mass shootings isn't going to go away whether or not the checkpoints are there or not so surely it's best to protect students? So I think it may be unwise to just eliminate the checkpoint requirement without ensuring there is adequate protection in place-how this can be done varies, perhaps districts can get an exemption if they are able to prove they are already adequately protected and/or have an adequate alternative protection in place, or that checkpoints are more strictly defined and have privacy limitations put in place to alleviate the concerns in that area. If you're interested, feel free to PM me to discuss this further and hopefully a solution can be reached on this issue. I do hope the Senate ensures students are safe in their classrooms and should be cautious to avoid jeopardizing that.
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 10:46:24 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2018, 11:17:35 PM by RFA09 »

I raised some concerns about this bill to a Senator and was encouraged to post them here, so hopefully my input is welcome. Smiley

I suppose there are some good things included here, such as school counselors, if that isn't already a thing. That said, not all pediatricians are properly equipped to evaluate mental health. Requiring pediatricians to work outside their abilities risks misdiagnosis among other potential problems.

Mostly, I find this bill abhorrent, misguided, and unfeasible. I don't know if Atlasia has different schools than the ones I see around the city everyday, and if so, I guess you can disregard my testimony.

I'm not sure who these security personnel are supposed to be. If they aren't cops, they're probably more similar to club bouncers. And we want them walking amonst our young with weapons?

Lapeer, MI -- A security officer at a Lapeer charter school left a firearm unattended in a school bathroom on Monday, Jan. 14, a school official said.

This sort of situation is a recipe for disaster. What good are checkpoints if the people that are supposed to be responsible are leaving weapons unattended within reach of students?

That brings me to my second point: checkpoints. Most schools have multiple entrances. Are we trying to eliminate those and force hundreds of students through a single entrance with a checkpoint and subject them to TSA-style rummaging? This wastes valuable learning time just to get students in the building, Stokes fear, presents opportunity for harassment, and perhaps most importantly, does NOT eliminate the threat if violence. Running eight year olds through a metal detector does not stop an Adam Lanza from showing up near lunch with loaded weapons and taking his pick of the litter.

Of all the major school shootings, few have been perpetrated by active students. Many come from outsiders during school hours. Think back to your elementary school or high school. Was there a chain link fence with a playground or open area? Could a violent maniac not hop the fence or shoot through the fence as children are playing? Reducing the freedoms of our students and instilling a mindset of fear and paranoia that distract from learning, while ignoring the real problem of violent maniac having access to lethal weapons is a travesty. This bill seems to do little to keep students safe, and instead looks to increase risks by making weapons more prevalent on every single campus. I implore any senator who cares about our students to vote down this bill and work to address the real problems of gun violence and mental illness in a way that puts the interests of our students ahead of the interests of the powerful gun lobby.

Thank you for your time.

Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2018, 04:01:44 PM »

As a student myself, I echo many of the concerns shared by my constituent. In particular, I'm also not sure if checkpoints will actually be very effective and am concerned as to the effects the policy will have on the school environment.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2018, 02:12:42 AM »

As a student myself, I echo many of the concerns shared by my constituent. In particular, I'm also not sure if checkpoints will actually be very effective and am concerned as to the effects the policy will have on the school environment.

Sponsor?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2018, 09:57:36 PM »

Kill the bill ... again!
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2018, 02:41:21 PM »

With a lack of feedback from the sponsor, I motion for a final vote. 24 hours to object.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2018, 06:23:00 PM »

It is not impossible to do. I remember one school that was very secure and yes you had multiple entrances.

One possible way of doing this is to have locked fire doors. That is they are locked from the outside but can be opened from the inside, but immediately open being opened it sets off the fire alarm. That way you avoid the fire risk while still keeping people from entering the building itself, and yes a lot of these shootings are by people who have entered from outside as opposed to being active students.

Armed guards and checkpoints might be a little more difficult to pull off and in some case not feasible, but I think it would be a mistake to see this whole bill fail yet again because of a lack of amendments and debates in this regard.

Unfortunately the 24 hours for objections expired just before I swore in as Senator.

Lachi
lok1999
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -1.06, S: -3.02

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2018, 04:37:06 PM »

To be fair, we can always come back to the act and amend it.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2018, 04:39:19 PM »

Final vote is now open. Senators, please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2018, 05:17:33 PM »

Wait... what? Why knowingly pass something bad now on a non-binding hope to fix it later? Shouldn't legislators only vote on good bills?
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 05:24:22 PM »

Wait... what? Why knowingly pass something bad now on a non-binding hope to fix it later? Shouldn't legislators only vote on good bills?
Also worth noting that this originated in the House, so there's no chance to amend this before it goes back to the House for an immediate vote.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 05:31:13 PM »

Also worth noting that this originated in the House, so there's no chance to amend this before it goes back to the House for an immediate vote.

Actually, this was technically reintroduced separately after being killed the first time, so I don't think that's the case.

On the other hand, I do think that the House has already passed this exact text.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 05:31:22 PM »

Maybe not. Technically the bill that passed the House died in the Senate and was then reintroduced in the Senate with a new bill designation. Because it passed the House and died in the Senate I think that means this new bill originated in the Senate and now has to go to the House for the first time. Its all semantics since its substantially similar language but I was happy to have killed this originally so I think in fairness I can't backtrack now and say it didn't actually die the first time when it did.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 05:33:23 PM »

Actually, this was technically reintroduced separately after being killed the first time, so I don't think that's the case.

On the other hand, I do think that the House has already passed this exact text.
Plenty of bills have been reintroduced then sent to the other chamber for an immediate vote. Especially if there were no changes in the wording.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies