2024 Election Game - Sign Ups and OOC
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:25:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game - Sign Ups and OOC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Poll
Question: Turn length?
Keep at 2 Weeks

Extend to 1 Month (starting in October) for duration of game

Extend to 1 Month until Primary Season

Extend to 1 Month until General Election phase

Other (State in Thread)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: 2024 Election Game - Sign Ups and OOC  (Read 11125 times)
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 17, 2018, 04:20:35 PM »
« edited: October 19, 2018, 06:34:46 PM by Democrats for Knute Buehler »

I'm going to attempt to do one of these. I have never done this before so if you guys could help me I would appreciate it greatly Smiley

Prologue
The 2018 elections were a fairly Democratic set of elections, with Democrats taking control of the House (gaining 42 seats) and tying control of the Senate (picking up Nevada and Arizona, while losing North Dakota). They also came close to gaining a majority in governorships, stifled only by upset victories by Scott Walker and Allen Fung.

2018 Governorships

Democrats 25 (+9)
Republicans 25 (-8)

The 2020 Democratic Primaries were extremely competitive with a wide field of candidates. However, by the Iowa caucus the field had narrowed to three frontrunners: New York Senator Kirsten Gillibrand, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, and Former VP Joe Biden. Bernie Sanders, representing a united progressive faction within the Democratic Party, capitalized on the establishment split to take the nomination with relative ease, with 60% of the delegates. He selected Oregon Senator Jeff Merkley as his running mate. On the Republican side, President Trump faced little major primary opposition, but was still burdened by approvals stuck in the upper 30s. Up until October, a Sanders victory appeared likely, however on October 2 he suffered from a stroke while on the campaign trail. For the next two weeks, he stayed in the race before dropping off the ticket due to further health concerns. Mass confusion ensued, with Sanders’s name stuck on the ballots, and the unprecedented nature of this event. Merkley was officially elevated to the Presidential slot and Kirsten Gillibrand was appointed his running mate. Despite the national climate remaining favorable to Democrats, voter confusion tipped the election to Trump, who won 270-268 (losing PA and WI from 2016). Downballot, however, Democrats made significant gains. While they did indeed lose the Montana governorship, they gained a shocking 9 Senate seats (and managed to save Doug Jones), erasing their losses from 2014 and nearly securing a supermajority. They also gained 14 seats in the House, bringing their seat count to 249.

2020 Presidential Election

Donald Trump / Mike Pence 270 EVs 47.1%
Jeff Merkley / Kirsten Gillibrand 268 EVs 49.0%

2019/20/21 Governorships

Democrats 25
Republicans 25

The first half of Trump’s second term was fraught with controversy, most notably relating to the Supreme Court. In 2021, Justice Clarence Thomas retired and Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg died, leaving two vacancies. Trump appointed Amy Coney Barrett and Raymond Kethledge to the high court, but these nominees were blocked by the Democratic Senate, who were determined to get revenge for Gorsuch and Kavanaugh. This impasse crippled the court and the popularity of the President and Congress tumbled. This pattern continued on legislative fronts, with Trump being unable to get his agenda through the Democratic congress, and refused to consider Democratic bills on immigration and healthcare. In 2022, the six-year itch combined with anger at Trump and redistricting led to major Democratic gains in both houses (32 House seats and 9 Senate seats), putting Democrats in a dominating position, and likely to win 2024. In early 2023, they nearly pushed a single-payer healthcare bill over Trump’s veto, energizing the progressive base but leading to a slight erosion in support among independents.  

2022 Governorships

Democrats 32 (+7)
Republicans 18 (-7)

But then Chuck Schumer and Tim Ryan commited an unforced error. Frustrated with Trump’s obstructionism, they gave the President an ultmatium: confirm Merrick Garland and another liberal justice to the Supreme Court, or face impeachment. When Trump refused, Congress charged him with multiple gross misdemeanors, and the House impeached him 234-201 with 47 Democrats voting with Republicans against the charges. In the Senate, Democrats theoretically had one more vote than needed to impeach Trump, but defections from multiple red-state Democrats (plus Oregon senator Kurt Schrader) sunk the effort. The American people, Republicans and Independents in particular, were shocked by this blatant attempt at a power grab, and suddenly Republicans had a chance in 2024 again, holding tenous leads in both generic ballots at press time. The fields for both parties are wide open. Republican candidates will need to give the American public a reason to elect them for another 4 years in the White House, while Democratic candidates will need to separate themselves sufficiently from ImpeachmentGate while also appealing to the progressive base.

Trump Approval
Disapprove 51%
Approve 44%

Congress Approval
Disapprove 70%
Approve 19%

Presidential Generic Ballot
Republicans 45%
Democrats 44%

Congress Generic Ballot
Republicans 46%
Democrats 43%

Candidate lists are in no particular order

Declared Republican Candidates
Senator Bill Haslam (R-TN) - New Tennessean Politician
Governor Josh Hawley (R-MO) - NOTTYLER
Fmr. Governor Jon Huntsman (R-UT) - katman46
Governor Phil Scott (R-VT) - KaiserDave
Congressman Justin Amash (R-MI) - NMR
Conservative Commentator Ben Shapiro (R-CA) - x-guy
Fmr. Un Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC) - jakobisgood

Potential Republican Candidates
Vice President Mike Pence (R-IN)
Sec. of State Mike Pompeo (R-KS)
Governor Tom Cotton (R-AR)
Governor Josh Hawley (R-MO)
Fmr. UN Ambassador Nikki Haley (R-SC)
Governor Charlie Baker (R-MA)
Fmr. Governor Larry Hogan (R-MD)
Congressman Steve Scalise (R-LA)
Congressman Justin Amash (R-MI)
Senator Rand Paul (R-KY)
Senator Ben Sasse (R-NE)
Senator Lisa Murkowski (R-AK)
Congressman Steve King (R-IA)
Fmr. Governor Chris Sununu (R-NH)
Fmr. Senator Rob Portman (R-OH)
Fmr. Governor Jon Huntsman (R-UT)
Fmr. Governor John Kasich (R-OH)
Conservative Commentator Ben Shapiro (R-CA)
among others

Declared Democratic Candidates
Governor Andrew Gillum (D-FL) - JacksonHitchcock
Congressman Scott Rolen (D-MO) - Jaguar4life
Senator Chris Murphy (D-CT) - Sherrod Brown 2020
Senator Alison Lundergan Grimes (D-KY) - McGinty
Fmr. Senator and Presidential Candidate Jeff Merkley (D-OR) - GoTfan

Potential Democratic Candidates
Senator Pete Buttigieg (D-IN)
Senator Steve Bullock (D-MT)
Senator Joe Manchin (D-WV)
Senator Jason Kander (D-MO)
Fmr. Senator and Presidential candidate Jeff Merkley (D-OR)
Congresswomen Tulsi Gabbard (D-HI)
Congressman Conor Lamb (D-PA)
Governor Richard Cordray (D-OH)
Senator Susan Rice (D-ME)
Senator and 2020 Vice Presidential candidate Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY)
Senator Kamala Harris (D-CA)
Governor Gavin Newsom (D-CA)
Governor Andrew Gillum (D-FL)
Fmr. Governor Ralph Northam (D-VA)
Senator Tim Kaine (D-VA)
Senator Tim Ashe (D-VT)
Congressman Jared Golden (D-ME)
Fmr. Governor Martin O´Malley (D-MD)
Senator Krysten Sinema (D-AZ)
Senator Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV)
Fmr. Governor Tom Wolf (D-PA)
Senator Amy Kloubuchar (D-MN)
Senator Sally Yates (D-GA)
Governor Roy Cooper (D-NC)
Governor Julian Castro (D-TX)
Governor Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY)
Governor Fred Hubbell (D-IA)
among others

Rules
I have never done one of these before, so I’m going to rely a lot on crowd feedback and ideas. That said, I will base the rules off of similar rules from previous games (thanks Lumine, wxtransit, HCP, and New Tennessean Politican for said rules).

This game will cover the 2024 US Presidential Election from September 1st, 2023 to November 5th, 2024, divided into three main phases:

Primary Phase: Assuming campaign announcements to have come earlier in the year, this primary season will take us from September 2023 to June 2024, with players from the Democratic and Republican Parties fighting to emerge as the frontrunner or even the nominee of their respective parties. As candidates will have entered by September, they will have been assumed to have entered earlier in the year.

Convention Phase: Both main parties will enter this phase to decide on their eventual nominee, although the gameplay will be very limited if a player has already won his respective nomination. Should a party lack a clear nominee, players will be allowed to control their delegates and have them vote for a preferred candidate, with some exceptions to be decided by the moderator (me and possibly others)

General Election Phase: Taking us from September 1st to November 5th, 2024, with eight turns of a week to account for the final stage of the campaign as players play the Presidential and Vice-Presidential candidates, and potentially some key surrogates for their campaigns.

2.- The in-game length of turns will vary from days to an entire month depending on the circumstances, but all turns will last one week (from calendar Saturday to Saturday, no more) in RL. Duly informing of a turn absence will yield no penalty (a polling freeze or very limited loss), but simply not posting will bring consequences. Due to the quirks of my schuedle I may be unable to post turns at busy parts of my year, please bear with me.

3.- Personal message me for endorsements! No candidate may recieve more than 2 per turn, and there are some special endorsements that will be reserved for key events or dates (for example, New Hampshire or Iowa Governors, or relevant newspapers like the Des Moines Register or the New Hampshire Union Leader). Exceptions if the candidate is from Iowa or New Hampshire.

4.- There will be debates, several of them to account for the OTL high number of GOP debates and their undeniable impact on the race. The first few turns will all feature limited debates. I’m unsure quite how to do this, I will appreciate crowdsourcing ideas here.

5.- Like other games, I will use a number randomizer to determine positive and negative news for the candidates. 1-5 will be positive experiences (1 being great news) and 95-100 will be negative experiences (100 being terrible news). 6-94 will be no news. Real life news will also feature as part of the game for players to exploit (or influence).

6.- Third Party candidates are allowed to join, but their respective gameplay will be focused on the General Election. There will be exceptions on a case-by-case basis, for example if two major Libertarian candidates are facing off in a primary.

7 - If your candidate is not included in the provided list below, make a request on the sign-up board. Please make your candidates realistic (I’m going to be pretty flexible with this) .

8. Have fun.

I have copies of the maps for the 2018 House and 2018, 2020, 2022 Senate races, I will post them on request.
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 04:24:56 PM »

did Haslam win the 2020 TN Senate Election (Alexander would win and if not him, Haslam would definitely run and running against him would be Political Suicide in this state)
x-Guy
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 04:34:04 PM »

Small suggestion but you might want to add senate maps and presidential election maps in the first post. The information could be organized a little better too. Also I will definitely consider possibly joining this but my schedule might be hard to work with.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 04:53:28 PM »

I'd like to play as Governor Gillum, Young, African American, Progressive.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:16:20 PM »

Small suggestion but you might want to add senate maps and presidential election maps in the first post. The information could be organized a little better too. Also I will definitely consider possibly joining this but my schedule might be hard to work with.
Will do, I'll try to upload them sometime today or tomorrow.
did Haslam win the 2020 TN Senate Election (Alexander would win and if not him, Haslam would definitely run and running against him would be Political Suicide in this state)
Yes.
I'd like to play as Governor Gillum, Young, African American, Progressive.
Cool, I'll write you down.
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 05:56:53 PM »

I'll join as Tennessee Senator Bill Haslam
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 08:05:35 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2018, 08:09:10 PM by NOTTYLER »

I got Josh Hawley
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 10:42:41 PM »

Noted!
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 11:39:43 PM »

Personally, I think this should be a 2020 game, not a 2024 game... I don't believe Susan Rice would ever get elected to the Senate, and the scenario you provided for Trump's impeachment is quite frankly, ridiculous, because Pelosi (if she's still Speaker) and Schumer would never agree to it.

Oh, and Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez isn't getting elected statewide in New York anytime soon. In fact, in this scenario, I would the most likely Governor is probably still Cuomo.

Next, is Ashe serving in Sanders seat (which is up in 2024) or Pat Leahy's seat (which was up in 2022)?

Next, why are Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio not on the Republican primary list (I presume Rubio lost reelection in 2022, but you didn't say Cruz lost reelection)?

All that considered, I am interested, if we can get turns that are two weeks per turn (because that's easiest for me quite honestly).

I'm torn between running as Kirsten Gillibrand, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, or Tammy Duckworth.

If anyone else wants one of those four people let me know quickly (I personally prefer Ryan or Gillibrand, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to Duckworth or Cruz if I was forced).

Obviously I can't run as all four Sad but some inspiration who out those four to pick would be nice.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 05:42:17 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2018, 08:14:12 AM by Jaguar4life »

I want to be a hypothetical version of a real person.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 08:23:12 AM »
« Edited: October 18, 2018, 08:54:40 AM by Jaguar4life »

I want to be Missouri Congressman in this game Scott Rolen for the Democrats

Rolen is elected Congressman in 2020 as a financially conservative socially liberal Democrat in 2020 mostly due to name recognition for being a HOF 3rd Baseman for the St Louis Cardinals.

Rolen becomes a bipartisan force in the House and it’s seen as a “progressive conservative”
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »

Personally, I think this should be a 2020 game, not a 2024 game... I don't believe Susan Rice would ever get elected to the Senate, and the scenario you provided for Trump's impeachment is quite frankly, ridiculous, because Pelosi (if she's still Speaker) and Schumer would never agree to it.

Oh, and Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez isn't getting elected statewide in New York anytime soon. In fact, in this scenario, I would the most likely Governor is probably still Cuomo.

Next, is Ashe serving in Sanders seat (which is up in 2024) or Pat Leahy's seat (which was up in 2022)?

Next, why are Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio not on the Republican primary list (I presume Rubio lost reelection in 2022, but you didn't say Cruz lost reelection)?

All that considered, I am interested, if we can get turns that are two weeks per turn (because that's easiest for me quite honestly).

I'm torn between running as Kirsten Gillibrand, Ted Cruz, Paul Ryan, or Tammy Duckworth.

If anyone else wants one of those four people let me know quickly (I personally prefer Ryan or Gillibrand, but I wouldn't be totally opposed to Duckworth or Cruz if I was forced).

Obviously I can't run as all four Sad but some inspiration who out those four to pick would be nice.
I understand your concerns about realisticness, I was trying to find a way to make the 2024 election competitive even after a Trump re-election. :/

Ashe is serving in Sanders' seat after the latter stepped down in 2021.

You're probably correct about Cruz. But Rubio's national brand is kind of damaged after losing in 2016 and 2022 and possibly considering a run against the Democrat in 2024 (Bill Nelson could retire).

At this point I'm trying to get enough people to start, once a 'critical mass' is reached I can do whatever most people prefer Wink

Rolen is elected Congressman in 2020 as a financially conservative socially liberal Democrat in 2020 mostly due to name recognition for being a HOF 3rd Baseman for the St Louis Cardinals.

Rolen becomes a bipartisan force in the House and it’s seen as a “progressive conservative”
Oh that's what you meant in the PM. I think this is okay, assuming he gets elected to 2010-20 District 2, defeating Ann Wagner.

Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 08:59:19 AM »

I understand your concerns about realisticness, I was trying to find a way to make the 2024 election competitive even after a Trump re-election. :/

You're probably correct about Cruz. But Rubio's national brand is kind of damaged after losing in 2016 and 2022 and possibly considering a run against the Democrat in 2024 (Bill Nelson could retire).

At this point I'm trying to get enough people to start, once a 'critical mass' is reached I can do whatever most people prefer Wink

Oh that's what you meant in the PM. I think this is okay, assuming he gets elected to 2010-20 District 2, defeating Ann Wagner.

I was thinking of him replacing Lacy Clay. BTW who is the speaker of the house again?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2018, 09:35:36 AM »

I was thinking of him replacing Lacy Clay. BTW who is the speaker of the house again?
That would be Tim Ryan, who replaced Pelosi in 2020
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2018, 09:38:04 AM »

So is Rolen accepted?
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2018, 09:46:56 AM »

So is Rolen accepted?
I would prefer that he get elected in MO-2 but sure.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2018, 09:58:08 AM »

So is Rolen accepted?
I would prefer that he get elected in MO-2 but sure.

Sure ok then
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2018, 01:19:44 PM »

Scott Rolen interview with Fox Sports on February 2nd 2023

Q:So who you are in the elected to the Hall Of Fame Scott is baseball over for you and you want to continue on with your political career?

Rolen:Well yes it’s funny you ask that because ever since I won that special election after Congresswoman Wagner retired in early 2020 and since then I have been called one of the most bipartisan members of the house willing to work for both parties especially with that bill I worked with the Republicans members on the issue of opioids and medication that is easily abused. I have worked with the progressives on reforming our gun laws and make sure that a criminal can’t easily get a hand on a assault weapon and I helped out with Medicare and social security which unfortunately President Trump veto both.

We need a leader I think that has proven to work beyond party lines and do things based on the issues not the parties they represent. So that’s why I am running for the Democratic Nomination for President!

Q:Wow you heard it from here folks Mr Rolen is running for President!!
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2018, 01:23:34 PM »

Scott Rolen interview with Fox Sports on February 2nd 2023

Q:So who you are in the elected to the Hall Of Fame Scott is baseball over for you and you want to continue on with your political career?

Rolen:Well yes it’s funny you ask that because ever since I won that special election after Congresswoman Wagner retired in early 2020 and since then I have been called one of the most bipartisan members of the house willing to work for both parties especially with that bill I worked with the Republicans members on the issue of opioids and medication that is easily abused. I have worked with the progressives on reforming our gun laws and make sure that a criminal can’t easily get a hand on a assault weapon and I helped out with Medicare and social security which unfortunately President Trump veto both.

We need a leader I think that has proven to work beyond party lines and do things based on the issues not the parties they represent. So that’s why I am running for the Democratic Nomination for President!

Q:Wow you heard it from here folks Mr Rolen is running for President!!
Oh, um, you should post this on the IC thread. Which I am creating right now...
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2018, 01:27:51 PM »

Usually, a player posts their announcement in the OOC thread as t takes a bit for the Gameplay threat to start Tongue
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »

I'll be Jon Huntsman... let's make Utah >50% Republican again
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »

Usually, a player posts their announcement in the OOC thread as t takes a bit for the Gameplay threat to start Tongue
Ah. Nevermind then.

Still, I would like it in the IC thread just for reference. Just a personal thing :/

I'll be Jon Huntsman... let's make Utah >50% Republican again
Noted, thanks!
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2018, 01:57:04 PM »

Jaguar I like former Reds 3rd basemen as well but Rolen shouldn't be in the HoF
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States