2024 Election Game - IC (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:04:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  2024 Election Game - IC (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2024 Election Game - IC  (Read 4437 times)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« on: October 18, 2018, 08:26:52 PM »
« edited: October 18, 2018, 08:37:47 PM by KaiserDave »

Governor Phil Scott Announces Candidacy:
A New Kind of Republican

Hello Burlington, it's a pleasure to be with all of you, so many of you I can remember from 2016, 2018, 2020, 2022. One of great parts of being governor of a state like Vermont, is that I get to know so many of my constituents, and many of them have become my friends. But there's been no greater pleasure then being your governor for the past 7 years.

(Clapping, cheering)

We've all changed a lot since 2016, this state has changed a lot. Our economy has grown, our taxes have dropped, we turned a billions in deficit, into a over a billion dollar surplus. We made responsible choices with our spending, and we made a sworn promise to taxpayers, which we kept. Vermont has grown and prospered. But contrary to my own expectations, I've still gotten older.

(Laughs)

But I'm still getting the stock car on the track

(Laughs)

But here in Vermont, we treat each other with respect. If we disagree, we discuss, we debate, we work for compromise. But we never, never make it personal. We don't lob mud at our political opponents, we talk with them, we work with them, we create friendships, and then we create compromise. And these past 8 years, the contrast with Washington has never been so stark. Washington D. C. has become a cesspool of obstructionism, rancor, and just plain nastiness. I don't need to tell you about the gridlock, the insults, and indignity and disrespect that infests Washington. We've all lived through the past 8 years, and nobody has liked it very much. While Washington politicians insult each other, yell at each other, and choose partisan war over common sense compromise, Vermont has create bipartisan change. We've cut taxes, create jobs, and balanced our budgets. While the President waged war on decency, and fought to take healthcare coverage away from millions of Americans, while destroying the dignity of the office of the Presidency, Vermont was improving our insurance programs, and caring for our needy. While Washington partisans increases the debt every year, we created a surplus. Both Republicans, and Democrats are too fault in the toxic Washington, we all remember the Kavanaugh hearings, the impeachment debates, and just the nastiness in Washington.

But Vermont, Vermont has been different. And I think Vermont can model a lot to America. America deserves moderate, solutions-based leadership in Washington. 8 years of partisan war haven't gotten anything done for America. Our problems have gotten worse. Our debt has grown, our taxes, they have too. Children have been locked up on the border, while we haven't got a common sense border security or DREAMers solution. So today, I asked Vermonters, I ask Americans, for the honor of their vote again. Because, I'm running for President of the United States!

(Cheering, clapping)

I'm a Republican, but I believe that my American patriotism, and compromise, and moderation, are more important that any party or idealogical divide. Because America needs healing, just like here in Vermont every day, we need to get over the mountain. Into the sunrise, we need a new day in America. And I believe that I can get it done. There are so many Americans who are sick of the way Washington and Politics operates. I ask them to look at my record, and think about what we do if America picks optimism for the future, we can reduce taxes for working Americans, and reduce the deficit. We can bridge the partisan divide, if we just look to where we agree. If can do it in Montpelier, we can do it in Washington!

(Cheers, clapping)

So the campaign trail begins today, we will criss cross the country. We will speak to voters, and we will get America over the mountain! We will pick aspiration and optimism! So let's get out there and win this election!

(Chant: PHIL, PHIL, PHIL, PHIL, PHIL, PHIL, PHIL, PHIL, PHIL)

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 04:48:08 PM »
« Edited: October 25, 2018, 05:33:16 PM by KaiserDave »

Phil Scott on Meet the Press

Chuck Todd: We're privileged to have Vermont Governor Phil Scott from Montpelier, Governor of Vermont since 2017, and presidential candidate, welcome to the show Governor.

Phil Scott: Thank you Chuck, it's great to be here.

Chuck Todd: So you've just announced your run for President, how's the campaigning doing putting itself together?

Phil Scott: Really great Chuck, we've set up our campaign headquarters in Burlington, but we've already opened an office in Nashua and Portsmouth, and we're getting an unprecedented amount of volunteers, individual donations, and excitement. You know, people are really sick and tired of how the last 8 years have gone. The toxicity in Washington, I think people are looking for leadership of respect and dignity, leadership that looks for results not tribalism, and these 8 years have been short on results, but there has been plenty of tribalism.

Chuck Todd: How have you used your experiences as Governor of Vermont on the campaign trail?

Phil Scott: We speak about it quite a lot. Because what I've gotten done in Montpelier has been a stark contrast to what's going on in Washington. In Vermont, I worked with Democrats and Republicans to balance budgets, without raising a cent in taxes. In Vermont, I reached across the aisle to strengthen background checks in our state, and we did this all while still respecting each other. Is that so much to ask from Washington? I think that at the local level, leaders get more done. I think Washington needs some of that local, small-state perspective government. I hope to be that leader.

Chuck Todd: You talk a lot about toxicity in Washington. How have you viewed the last 8 years, specifically the Trump administration?

Phil Scott: Very poorly Chuck. The last 8 years have been some of the nastiest, most divisive years in American history. I think everyone from either side can agree on that. We are not on the right track. Both Democrats and Republicans have contributed to a culture of gridlock, rancor, and disrespect in Congress. I think we could all see that in the Kavanaugh hearings, the impeachment hearings, and in our daily lives. Now I think there are people on both sides who want to make things better, they're out there. They're in congress, but they're also outside of congress. In state houses across the country, from Helena Montana to Providence Rhode Island. But most importantly they're in America. So I ask for leadership that reaches to both parties to get results. I think that's better than what we've got.

Chuck Todd: But what about the Trump administration specifically?

Phil Scott: I will be frank, I don't think Donald Trump has done a good job. I didn't think he'd be a good President in 2016, I didn't support him then, and not in 2020. I think his personal conduct is disgusting, I think he shows a horrible example to our children. He's only contributed to the horrible atmosphere in this country, in congress, and across our country. His policy has ballooned the deficit, and he's cut vital services that were critical to Americans across the country, and his healthcare policy would have driven millions of their plans and ended coverage for preexist conditions. I think we need to move on from Donald Trump.

Chuck Todd: Do you think that you aren't conservative enough for the Republican Party, which has become for many the party of Trump?

Phil Scott: I reject the notion that this is the party of Trump. This is the party of patriotic Americans across the country, and a diverse array of opinions about Donald Trump. This isn't the party of any individual, or politician. I'm a Republican moderate, but I put results, consensus, and respect debate ahead off partisanship. Partisanship doesn't work, the last 8 years have proved that. But results, consensus, and respect do work. Montpelier proves that, moderate politics, politics of results and service is what we need for these next 4 years. We balanced our budgets, cut taxes, and grew the Vermont economy. We improved our insurance system, and protected our environment. I think Washington has a lot to learn from that.

Chuck Todd: Thank you Governor.

Phil Scott: Always.

Phil Scott Campaign Schedule: September

September 1st-3rd: Announcement (see earlier post), build campaign team, open campaign headquarters and offices
September 4th: Appear on Meet the Press
September 5th-9th: Hold several town halls, Vermont and New Hampshire, accepts endorsement or Burlington Free Press
September 10th: Give speech in Keene New Hampshire on Balancing Budgets
September 11th-13th: 9/11 remembrance, Hold 'meet and greets' with supporters, New Hampshire
September 14th: Give speech in Manchester, NH on Gridlock and Toxicity in Washington
September 15th-18th: Hold series of town halls, New Hampshire
September 19th-22nd: Gubernatorial Duties
September 23rd-25th: Bus Tour in Rural New Hampshire with Fmr. Vermont Governor Jim Douglas
September 26th: Campaign Rally in Nashua, NH, local and national media appearances
September 27th-29th: Bus Tour of Eastern Iowa, from Davenport to Iowa City
September 30th: Open Iowa Campaign Headquarters in Des Moines, Give speech on trade (condemning trade war)

Phil Scott Ad: "2024"

Hi. My name's Phil Scott. I've been Governor of Vermont since 2016. Today I'm asking for your vote. I'm running for President. Because in 2024, we need change more than ever, the last 8 years have been pretty tough, haven't they. In Vermont, I balanced budgets, cut taxes, grew the economy, and protected our natural wonders. But most importantly, Democrats and Republicans treated each other with respect and dignity. I ask for your vote today, because I think that in 2024, this is what America needs more than ever. I'm Phil Scott and I approve this message.  

(Running in New Hampshire and Davenport-Iowa City Media Markets)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 04:53:27 PM »

Note: Sorry for pathetic photoshop, Phil got a tan in....Iowa?Huh   Also. For the Lt. Gov question, the current Lt. Gov is a progressive party member, but I highly doubt it'll be that way in 2023. So I will assume it's some kind of generic democrat or moderate. Also the _____ is for whatever city, since it was never clarified.

• Opening Statement

First I'd like to thank CNN/Fox News/CNBC for hosting this debate and the people of _______ as well, and I'm happy to be here. My name is Phil Scott, and I've had the honor of governing the state of Vermont since 2016, and before that Lieutenant Governor and state senator. But before then and still today I’m a race car driver and avid cyclist. On top of that, in the summertime I can usually be found at Barre’s Thunder Road where I have raced the #14 car since 1992. Also, I have the most career wins as a Late Model driver at the track. And nobody’s beating that record. Now, governing hasn't been easy. Being chief executive of a state of 700,000 has its own unique challenges. And not to mention it's a state as blue as states can be. But I earned the trust of the people of Vermont, and was reelected not once, or twice, but three times. And that's an amazing honor. But there's a reason for that. When I became governor, I inherited a state buried in debt. Democratic tax and spend policies had forced people out of Vermont. And I wasn't going to have it. I said no to tax increases, and I worked with Democrats and Republicans to turn a deficit into a near billion dollar surplus. I turned low bond ratings in AAA bond ratings across the board, the strongest New England economy. We got people to start coming to Vermont, and the population grew. Fiscal responsibility was my first priority, and that hasn't been the first priority of Washington. But Washington hasn't been getting their priorities straight, for well, a long time. They ballooned our deficit to over a trillion dollars, and they created a toxic atmosphere of partisan rancor. We all know how toxic Washington has become. We saw it on display in the chaos and havoc of the impeachment hearings, in the Kavanaugh hearings. Politicians are putting party before patriotism and that's not okay. But outside of Washington, I was getting things done for Vermont. I ended the state deficit, balanced our budgets and protected the natural beauties of Vermont. I stood up for our fiscal conservative values, and most importantly, we treated each other with respect, and integrity. I think these are the values we need most in Washington. Respect, dignity, responsibility, and compassion. I think we can all agree these are sorely missing.

• As a moderate New England Governor, what do you have to offer Republicans, that other candidates cannot?

I can offer my experience of getting things done for Vermonters. Because, there is an alternative to what's going on in Washington. Gridlock, partisanship, and just..... nasty politics. In Montpelier, I got Democrats and Republicans to work together for once. And we got results, boy we got results. We got Vermont to a triple A bond rating, and got the strongest economy in New England. We eliminated our budget deficit, and we never raised taxes. Not a cent, we cut taxes in fact. And I stood up to every attempt to cut taxes on Vermonters. I'm sure there are plenty of good ideas and candidates and ideas up here. But I provide the experience that not many else do. We have plenty of Governors up here, but I turned a really bad situation in Vermont, into the strongest economy in the region. And we ended gridlock, it's possible, and we did it in Vermont. And you know what, we can dang well do it in Washington. But we aren't going to do it with the same people who've been running things since Bush was President. We need fresh ideas and new leadership. We need leaders that don't use fiscal responsibility as a talking point, we need leaders that govern that way. And I have for 7 years.

• Do you trust your Lieutenant Governor to run Vermont while you are running for President?

I do. We might disagree on a good deal of things, but we're not afraid to compromise, we're not afraid to reach across the aisle. I've worked on local transportation issues with the state assembly and the lieutenant governor, on education initiatives, and on combating the opioid epidemic, and together we will able to give our first responders the 100% support they deserve. We reduced overdoses, that's what reaching across the aisle means. So I trust him completely. But don't get me wrong, I am still the Governor of Vermont. I spend every free minute with my family and friends, or attending to my duties as governor. I am still working with local leaders, meeting with Vermont teachers, and doing everyday duties. Running for President is not an abdication from responsibility.

• Did you support the renegotiation of NAFTA?

It's known that I'm a supporter of NAFTA. Vermont has an active trade relationship with Canada, but heh, so does the entire country. I believe that President Trump made the right choice to renegotiate deal, and I support him for doing that. I believe we got a good deal, a deal that modernized NAFTA, preserved the benefits for working for the benefit of American workers. As President, I will always be seeking to improve our existing free trade agreements for the betterment of American workers. And in new agreements, my first priority is always. Jobs, jobs, and jobs. How is the American worker going to be impacted by this deal? And I will have no hesitation to reject a deal that doesn't meet that standard, but if it does help American workers, I would be happy to support it.

• You are a pro-choice Republican. Give primary voters a reason why they should nominate you over pro-life alternatives.

I do not believe this issue is as black and white as some make it out to be. That being said, in the end I am a pro-choice Republican, I'm aware that I am a minority in my party. But there are still many of those who agree with me. I do not believe the government has a role to play in a serious matter between a woman, her family, and her doctor. That being said, I stand firmly opposed to taxpayer funding of abortion, and as President, as will continue to firmly enforce the Hyde Amendment. And I would stop Planned Parenthood from using federal funds for political lobbying.

• Rebuttals

Whoa. (Laughs) Hold your horses. First, Governor Huntsman. The idea that I support open borders, or have ever supported open borders, is a fiction and a fantasy. I have consistently called for a strong border, I would raise pay for our border patrol offices, and make sure we have an effective border security strategy with a strong budget. So, get your facts straight Governor. Now I have called for the end of the cruel practice of family separation. That is unacceptable and un-American. If you have a problem with my saying that Jon, then just say that. Governor Haslam, I'm not Washington congressman, I don't vote in a legislature. Furthermore, I have absolutely no idea where you found the figure that I have voted more in line with Democrats than my own Republican Party.  That is simply not true and once again you should get your facts straight before you make an attempt to rocket yourself to the presidency.

What I do is that a build results, I find Democrats and I find Republicans, and we get results. What we got done, we got a AAA bond rating, we balanced our budgets, and never raised taxes. That's fiscal restraint. Governor, you didn't do that. You raised the property taxes in Knoxville, if I'm elected President, I will never raise taxes for working and middle class Americans. But moving on to the individual mandate, and the 2nd Amendment. You said that I’ve proven to be quite anti-gun. As justification for that bold claim, I assume you were implying my signing of gun control legislation back in 2018. When I first ran for Governor in 2016, the NRA proceeded to assign me an A rating. Today, it is nothing short of B-. If anything, that recent figure in itself displays that I am a moderate. I feel I must elaborate on my signing of gun legislation. Two months before the fateful day new gun control legislation was put into law, police foiled an alleged shooter’s plans to storm a local high school and kill as many as possible. After that, I could no longer sit back and do nothing. I had already made up my mind then. That legislation was never intended to take anybody’s guns away — period.

Now, the Individual mandate, a very interesting topic. Now, I and a majority of the legislature were in agreement that mandating health coverage was necessary to keeping the state’s insurance market relatively stable. It was our commitment to maintaining Vermont’s low uninsured rate. There was concern that the lack of a federal penalty would cause a significant number of people to drop their health insurance, thus increasing costs for those who retained coverage. In fact, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Vermont — the state’s largest insurer — had said a portion of its 2019 rate hike was due to the effects of the federal change. Let’s just get this out of the way, not many people were thrilled about enacting a mandate. But what most people unders was, when you talk about the requirement under the Affordable Care Act to cover pre-existing conditions, you can’t have one without the other. It was acknowledged that there’s a debate about whether the Affordable Care Act should be repealed at the federal level. But the bottom line is, what we had then was what we had.

Both you and Governor Huntsman have claimed that I am not a Republican, but a liberal. You’ve effectively just stated that New England Republicans are liberals. Such a claim is either ignorance or blatant lies at its finest. Additionally, you’ve questioned why I am even running under the Grand Old Party. Once again, this rhetoric by the two of you is exactly that, rhetoric and prepared zingers. Within the course of my life, I’ve been a Republican and always will be one at heart. With that said, the party needs change and a new face, I’m running to be that person.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 06:29:42 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2018, 09:49:43 PM by KaiserDave »

Phil Scott on State of the Union

Jake Tapper: We now are going live to Montpelier, where Vermont Governor and presidential candidate Phil Scott has just returned to from New Hampshire.

Phil Scott: Hello Jake, happy to be on.

Jake Tapper: You're coming from Nashua correct?

Phil Scott: Oh yeah, we held a pretty big rally. There was a really large and enthusiastic group of people there, you know the people there really inspire. Because if you go out to places like Nashua, you'll find really great people. Most of them are Republicans, but plenty of independents, and some Democrats even. Because out here in America, people can move beyond party differences, it's my hope that we can get Washington to do the same thing. I had the pleasure of going on Access Nashua to do an interview there, and we just walked through the streets, going restaurant to restaurant, business to business. The best part of any political campaign is meeting people.

Jake Tapper: What kind of topics did you speak about?

Phil Scott: A variety of topics Jake. I talked about stories from my time as Governor, even some stuff from the racetrack. I talked about how we balanced our budget without raising taxes. I talked about how we were able to fund our schools, and pay our teachers. But Jake, we also talked about the big thing missing in Washington. Respect. If people in Portsmouth and Nashua can treat each other with respect regardless of party, why can't people in Washington. If we had more respect, and less politics in Washington, we could get a lot more done.

Jake Tapper: Now, Senator Haslam, your opponent has gone after you lately on CNN. He said, I quote " What Governor Scott is doing is trying to pander to his Anti-Trump, Liberal base, a base that is much larger in the Democratic Party. I think his pandering is disgusting and I have only two suggestions for him: either be honest and quit pandering or change your allegiance to the Democratic Party as we don't need anti-trumpers in this difficult time for the party. What Governor Scott is doing will likely cost us the White House and the Economy in November." What do you have to say to that?

Phil Scott: (Laughs) Well, I just find that funny. Cause he said he wasn't gonna suggest to me what to say, before in no uncertain terms, telling me to get in line. Well I say, I'm not getting in line Senator. This isn't the party of Donald Trump, this isn't the party of Bill Haslam. And heck, this isn't the party of Phil Scott either. This is the party of a diverse group of Americans across this great country with varying opinions about the President. It's my view that we've had a vacuum of moral leadership in this country. I don't think Donald Trump provides a good example to our children. His comments about women are revolting, and his attitude towards the press, immigrants, and fellow Republicans has been extremely disrespectful. I think we need to move on as a party and as a nation. Now, I think that we've gotten a lot of good stuff done these past 8 years, NAFTA renegotiation, I approve of the individual tax cuts in the Tax Bill, though I sure as sure want them to be made permanent. But things have also gotten worse in many many respects. Partisanship, good lord, it gets worse every day. The impeachment, as all Republicans, most independents, and some Democrats agree, was a partisan sham and a disgrace. But we all know that Senator Mitch McConnell drew up his healthcare bills in the dead of night and tried to rail it to the desk of the President. And I think many Americans agree with me on this. We need to move forward.

Jake Tapper: Your opponents in the recent debate accused you of being too liberal for the Republican Party, do you think your views are consistent with the majority of the Republican party?

Phil Scott: I do Jake. But Senator Haslam and even Governor Huntsman have spent a good deal of their campaign attacking me. I've been talking to voters, I've been doing calls, I've been knocking on doors. I'm not talking about Senator Haslam and Governor Huntsman, because this election isn't about them, or me, or any other individual. This election is about the people of this country, and about the future we want. I think Republicans from Vermont to Nebraska agree with me and would approve of my record. Which is I talk about how I balanced the budget without raising taxes, about how we bridged the partisan divide. I don't think Americans want to hear attack ads, we've had 8 years of that. We need solutions and leadership, and I'm hoping to be that leader.

Jake Tapper: Thank you Governor.

Phil Scott: Anytime Jake.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 06:06:31 PM »

Phil Scott Addresses the Incident

Good morning everyone, I'm sure you all know why I'm out here today, and I'm cut right to the chase. Lieutenant Governor Zuckerman has been implicated and indicted in ethics and campaign finance violations in his gubernatorial campaign. My first reaction at the time was fury at such an undermining of trust, not just with me, but with the people of Vermont. It is my duty as Governor to provide for a transparent, honest government, and to fulfill that promise and duty, I will no longer be working with the Lieutenant Governor, and I am calling upon the State Legislature and law enforcement to continue with due process. And for the State Legislature to immediately impeach Lieutenant Governor Zuckerman and consider removal from office. I was not supporting his bid for Governor, but if he does continue to run, I call upon the people of Vermont to soundly reject him Lieutenant Governor Zuckerman. My office will conduct it's own investigation against the Lieutenant Governor, and we reiterate our promise for a transparent government and to hopefully work with the FBI to further expose his crimes, and for an honest administration. The promise of transparency is not taken lightly by this administration, and we will work tirelessly to keep that promise. I'd like to thank the President and the FBI for working to achieve this indictment. Thank you.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:37:09 PM »

Phil Scott on Fox News Sunday

Chris Wallace: Well, now, it looks like we have Governor Phil Scott of Vermont, coming off his debate performance, Governor?

Phil Scott: Hiya Chris.

Chris Wallace: So Governor, almost a month into the campaign, you've had your first debate, what's the campaign trail like?

Phil Scott: It's really awesome Chris, we've gone across New Hampshire, bus touring to every town and city. We opened a headquarters in Des Moines, and this October, we'll be taking things up to an 11. We'll be tearing across Iowa, we'll be going to Tulsa and Charleston, back in Manchester and Nashua. My goal is to meet as many voters as possible, and hear their concerns.

Chris Wallace: Now in the debate, you came under attack from Senator Haslam and Governor Huntsman, they accused you of being too liberal for the Republican party, what do you say to that?

Phil Scott: Now I'll say the same thing I said in the debate. These claims are unfounded and ridiculous. It's clear that Senator Haslam wanted to get me off the stage and fast. But I'm not going anywhere Senator. His attacks of North Eastern Republicans like myself was typical.....politics. That's the new normal we've fostered these past years. Personal attacks and political point scoring are unfortunately, the norm in congress and the white house. Both Democrats and Republicans are guilty. It's time for a new kind of politics, and for that, we need a new kind of leadership, I hope to be that leader.

Chris Wallace: Now, a lot of Republicans, including Senator Haslam, and I'm sure many voters are concerned about your views on the President, who's still popular with most Republicans, and particularly impeachment, would you have voted to impeach the President?

Phil Scott: Absolutely not Chris. The impeachment was a partisan sham, and a shameless power grab. I have no doubts they would have impeached Vice President Pence too to get a Democrat in the White House, it was frankly disgusting. I would have been an emphatic no. That's the kind of politics we need to move on from, or we're never gonna getting anything done. That's what I'm saying to voters. But that being said, I'm gonna be honest. I have never, and do not approve of Donald Trump. I think he's a nasty individual, the things he's said about hispanics, women, and other minorities are frankly disgusting. But you know, I think there's a huge gap between what's going on in Washington and what's been going on in Montpelier, in Boston and recently in Baltimore and Providence, in state houses across the country. Where bipartisan cooperation has been fostered to pursue growth and development. That's what we did in Vermont, where we balanced budgets without raising taxes, and you'd never see the childish behavior in Washington in Montpelier. But Washington, time's up really, it's gotta change.

Chris Wallace: And what policies would you push through in Washington?

Phil Scott: Great question. My first priority is fiscal restraint. The fiscal policy of Washington, hell, Washington doesn't have a fiscal policy. We've drowned in debt, the deficit is over a trillion, and the economic growth of 2018, and 2019 has subsided. Unemployment has actually gone up from 2017. What we need to do is cut spending, we need to reduce waste, fraud, and abuse across government. We need to reduce earmarks, earmarks are wasting millions that we could use to reduce the deficit, or invest in the programs that matter. Programs that have been cut unnecessarily. We need to fund things like the Appalachian regional commission, we need to keep our promises to seniors, but we can't do that if we're wasting millions on congressional pet projects. A Scott administration will be an administration of real fiscal responsibility, and fiscal conservative leadership. Just like in Vermont, where we balanced budgets. But also, on immigration, we need a DREAMers solution, they should be allowed to stay and pursue the American dream like the rest of us, to enjoy the promise of America. And at the same time, we must secure the border and show a strong commitment to border patrol officers, and make sure ICE has the resources to stop criminals, and pursue child pornographers and drug dealers. Americans agree on this, and we can get it done. But we need new leadership, now more than ever. I hope, and I have made the case to Americans that I can be that leader.

Chris Wallace: Now, Vermont and Iowa are both agricultural states, how do you use that and talk about that in Iowa?

Phil Scott: That's a good question. Vermont's agricultural sector is key to it's economy, and it's the same in Iowa. One of the most encouraging things in Washington, amid all the chaos and circus, is how we manage to pass a Farm Bill each year. Bipartisan leaders like Senator Jones, Senator Romney, Senator Murkowski, and Senator Ben Sasse are able to work to pass a Farm Bill, because they're able to put partisanship aside for our farmers. The farmers are so important to our economy, and too our social fabric. I will continue robust support for the Farm Bill, work to continue robust crop insurance, and do the same things I did in Vermont, work across party lines to keep taxes low, and give constant support to our farmers, Iowa I think, deserves the same.

Chris Wallace: Thank you Governor for coming here, good luck.

Phil Scott: Of course Chris.

Phil Scott Campaign Schedule: October

September 15th-18th: Hold series of town halls, New Hampshire
September 19th-22nd: Gubernatorial Duties
September 23rd-25th: Bus Tour in Rural New Hampshire with Fmr. Vermont Governor Jim Douglas
September 26th: Televised Joint Campaign Rally with Larry Hogan and Charlie Baker in Nashua, NH, local and national media appearances
September 27th-29th: Bus Tour of Eastern Iowa, from Davenport to Iowa City
September 30th: Open Iowa Campaign Headquarters in Des Moines, Give speech on trade (condemning trade war)

Note: Larry Hogan and Charlie Baker are simultaneously door knocking and speech giving in New Hampshire

Phil Scott Ad: "Responsible"

My name's Phil Scott, and I've been Governor of Vermont since 2017. As governor, my promise to Vermonters was simple. Balance the state budget, without raising taxes. Responsible leadership, leadership that produced results for our teachers, seniors, first responders, and farmers. In government, we treated each other with dignity and respect. Because responsible leadership, that produces results, requires one key ingredient, respect. I'm Phil Scott, respectfully asking for your vote, and I approve this message.

(Running in New Hampshire, Oklahoma, and Iowa Media Markets)

October Endorsements

Charlie Baker

As a fellow New England governor, I've gotten to know Phil Scott well. And I know he's a fantastic guy. He's a great family man, a fantastic race car driver, and a real leader who puts results first, and special interest partisanship last. Governor Scott is a leader for the future, somebody who cut bring spending under control, work for middle class tax cuts, and to end the culture of gridlock and nastiness in Washington. I'm proud to support Governor Scott as a moderate problem solver, and I'll be spending a lot of time these next few months supporting him in these early primary states

Larry Hogan

Governor Phil Scott is exactly what we need in Washington. After too many years of partisan gridlock, and nasty politics, what America needs is a leader. A leader who finds common ground, fixes problems wherever he finds them, and always puts our children and our future first. Phil Scott will create consensus in Washington, I know he'll be able to work to fix our biggest problems, because that's what he did in Montpelier. He fought for farmers, seniors, policemen and fire fighters, and I know he'll do the same in Washington. I will be with him and Governor Baker on the campaign trail in October and beyond. Phil for 2024!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies