New Jersey passes law that'll let Booker run for 2 offices at once
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:23:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  New Jersey passes law that'll let Booker run for 2 offices at once
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New Jersey passes law that'll let Booker run for 2 offices at once  (Read 709 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2018, 12:17:01 AM »
« edited: November 01, 2018, 10:16:42 PM by Mr. Morden »

In brief, current law already allows him to "pull a Rubio".  He could run for president, and then, if he doesn't do well in the early primaries, he could drop out of the presidential race and run for reelection for Senate instead.  The Senate filing deadline isn't until April 2020, so he could wait until after Super Tuesday to pull out of the presidential race if it came to that.  But this bill would allow him to just run for both offices simultaneously if he wants to:

https://newjerseyglobe.com/fl/senate-bill-allows-booker-to-run-for-two-offices-in-2020/
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 12:22:16 AM »

The question might just become, how much does Phil Murphy like Cory Booker?

I'm pretty sure this needs his signature, and this could be construed as a preemptive endorsement from a Superdelegate (Murphy) if he signs this. So I don't think Murphy would sign it, even if it does pass both houses of the legislature, especially if Murphy wants to keep the doors open for a cabinet appointment from a candidate other than Booker (such as Warren or Harris, both of whom are more likely to win the nomination).
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 04:09:54 AM »

And California made it's primary earlier to benefit Harris. I disapprove of changing state laws for some specific establishment hack candidate.
SCNCmod

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 05:12:53 AM »

I think it is fine for Presidential primary candidates to be on 2 ballots-

-Regarding Booker- I once thought Booker may very well be the nominee... but I just don't see it anymore.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 08:06:14 AM »

Unless something's changed, NJ state law allows politicians to hold two kinds of offices at the same time, such as being both a state legislator and a local official. A number of the members of NJ's congressional delegation have done it -- they've been both a state legislator, on the one hand, and a mayor, or county freeholder, on the other hand, at the same time. Bob Menendez, before his election to the U.S. House in 1992, was mayor of Union City from 1986 to 1992 while also being a NJ Assemblyman from 1987 to 1991 and a NJ Senator from 1991 to 1992. Frank Pallone, before his election in 1988, was a Long Branch City Councilman from 1982 to 1988 as well as a NJ Senator from 1984 to 1988. Bill Pascrell, before his election to the U.S. House in 1996, was a NJ Assemblyman from 1988 to 1996, while also being mayor of Patterson from 1990 to 1996. There are probably many others who have had two offices at the same time -- one state and one local -- who did not get elected to Congress.

While it's certainly not the same thing, I'm sure passing a bill to allow a NJ politician to both run for Congress and for the U.S. presidency at the same time will be quite easy for the NJ legislature.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 01:01:43 PM »

Maybe they should legalize marijuana first.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 10:18:03 PM »

*bump*

It passed the legislature and Murphy has now signed it into law:

https://www.politico.com/states/new-jersey/story/2018/11/01/murphy-signs-law-allowing-booker-to-run-for-president-senate-simultaneously-676965

You must be logged in to read this quote.
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 10:18:58 PM »

This is obviously just for Senator Hugin in 2024.
Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 10:19:38 PM »

This is obviously just for Senator Hugin in 2024.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 10:38:54 PM »

No one is picking Booker as their running mate, because like Cuomo he is hated by the base.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 10:50:28 PM »

I think we all remember that this happened - but didn't actually effect anything - with Rand Paul in 2016, when Kentucky allowed being on the Primary ballot for two races at once.

New Jersey is so late that it probably won't matter.
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 10:53:42 PM »

Unless something's changed, NJ state law allows politicians to hold two kinds of offices at the same time, such as being both a state legislator and a local official. A number of the members of NJ's congressional delegation have done it -- they've been both a state legislator, on the one hand, and a mayor, or county freeholder, on the other hand, at the same time. Bob Menendez, before his election to the U.S. House in 1992, was mayor of Union City from 1986 to 1992 while also being a NJ Assemblyman from 1987 to 1991 and a NJ Senator from 1991 to 1992. Frank Pallone, before his election in 1988, was a Long Branch City Councilman from 1982 to 1988 as well as a NJ Senator from 1984 to 1988. Bill Pascrell, before his election to the U.S. House in 1996, was a NJ Assemblyman from 1988 to 1996, while also being mayor of Patterson from 1990 to 1996. There are probably many others who have had two offices at the same time -- one state and one local -- who did not get elected to Congress.

While it's certainly not the same thing, I'm sure passing a bill to allow a NJ politician to both run for Congress and for the U.S. presidency at the same time will be quite easy for the NJ legislature.

Dual office-holding was common for a long time in New Jersey, but the state banned the practice (other than for existing dual office-holders, who were grandfathered in) in 2007. The ban was one of Corzine's signature initiatives.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 11:35:22 PM »

I think we all remember that this happened - but didn't actually effect anything - with Rand Paul in 2016, when Kentucky allowed being on the Primary ballot for two races at once.

It could matter if someone picks Booker as their running mate, but unless Sanders actually wins the nomination, in which case he can pick anyone he pleases, because he doesn't have to worry about the base turning on him, Booker won't be picked. The base doesn't like him much.
pops
katman46

Political Matrix
E: -7.00, S: 4.00

P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 11:37:55 PM »

It could matter if someone picks Booker as their running mate, but unless Sanders actually wins the nomination, in which case he can pick anyone he pleases, because he doesn't have to worry about the base turning on him, Booker won't be picked. The base doesn't like him much.

I think you're right in principle but underestimating the political ability of modern Dems
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies