What are the chances Trump will not seek re-election on his own accord?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:07:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What are the chances Trump will not seek re-election on his own accord?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the chances Trump will not seek re-election on his own accord?  (Read 513 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2018, 03:07:41 PM »
« edited: October 19, 2018, 05:06:32 PM by Mitt Romney's Hair »

Yes, I know he's already claimed that he's running for re-election, and has already massed a lot of finances in support of this. But things change, and it's quite common for politicians to change their mind about running for office.

So what are the chances Trump decides not to run in 2020? And that that decision is his decision (i.e., not impeached, not indicted by Mueller, and not faced with primary challenge). Let's remember, the guy will be in his mid-70s, and might not want (or have) the energy to keep defending himself against the MSM and the countless investigations from the left.

We all know Trump's massive ego, but what are the chances he decides not to seek re-election, and basically says: "I've done what I promised: I have made America Great Again. Roaring economy, safe from Islamic Terrorism, De-regulations. Better deals with our allies. It is now time for my Republican predecessor to Keep America Great."

Maybe that then gives the chance for Mike Pence to run, or a sneaky third attempt by Mitt Romney (okay, I'm wishing on Mitt, but you'd have to imagine it would be Pence who would take the baton).

Anyway, thoughts?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2018, 03:12:10 PM »

It's unheard of for a modern president not to seek re-election. What I find very surprising and unusual is that there is speculation about this at all. What it indicates is that despite all the rallies and #MAGA and supposedly Teflon Don who survives any scandal, deep down a lot of people are deeply dissatisfied with this man and what he represents.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2018, 03:21:31 PM »

Whomever the GOP nominate, FL, OH, VA  are leading Democratic and along with CO,NV, WI, NH and Iowa will put the Dems over the the 272 mark
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2018, 03:40:46 PM »

Yes, I know he's already claimed that he's running for re-election, and has already massed a lot of finances in support of this. But things change, and it's quite common for politicians to change their mind about running for office.

But what do you mean about "changing their mind" then, since he's already running?  I mean, you said he "claimed" he's running, but it's more than that, because his campaign is already up and running.  Do you mean "What are the chances that he drops out of the race some time between now and Election Day 2020?"?
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2018, 05:09:00 PM »

Whomever the GOP nominate, FL, OH, VA  are leading Democratic and along with CO,NV, WI, NH and Iowa will put the Dems over the the 272 mark

Yawn. That's what people said in 2016.

And 2008 was suppose to be a wave election that would usher in a Democratic rule for a generation. (And then 2010, 2014, and 2016 happened).
Joey1996

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2018, 06:14:53 PM »

Would be disastrous for the GOP nominee especially if they campaign on a different platform than Trump
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 02:41:45 AM »

Near zero, and I only say that because Trump is temperamental and unstable enough that if he feels he's going to lose he might just rage quit.
Edmundd
Rookie
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 12:00:32 PM »

No way barring some unforeseen health problem.  The last president not to run for re-election was Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880. Through much of Ronald Reagan’s first term there was speculation whether Reagan would run again but that was because he was then the oldest president ever even though he looked much younger. Trump is now about the same age Reagan was at a comparable time in his term and though Trump is not as robust as Reagan was his health seems good enough not to foreclose another four years.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 02:17:34 PM »

No way barring some unforeseen health problem.  The last president not to run for re-election was Rutherford B. Hayes in 1880. Through much of Ronald Reagan’s first term there was speculation whether Reagan would run again but that was because he was then the oldest president ever even though he looked much younger. Trump is now about the same age Reagan was at a comparable time in his term and though Trump is not as robust as Reagan was his health seems good enough not to foreclose another four years.

LBJ?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »

LBJ?

He dropped out after primary voting had started (I think New Hampshire?) so he did run for reelection, short lived as it was.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 12:17:48 AM »

Extremely low.  Even if he doesn't want really to be President anymore he won't give up the opportunity to compete.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 01:43:19 AM »

Dems want a weakened Trump going into reelection. There isn't a chance McConnell convicts Trump in the Senate. Pence will be tough to beat
mvd10
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: -2.61

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 05:33:39 AM »

0%. Trump 2020 is already very much a thing and I don't see how he just ''changes his mind''. He always wanted to very narrowly lose 2016 so he could keep bitching about the Deep State and the crooked establishment, I guess his ''reward'' will come in 2020 now lol.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies