Are Trump's Rallies Helping Congressional Candidates?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:24:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Are Trump's Rallies Helping Congressional Candidates?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are Trump's Rallies Helping Congressional Candidates?  (Read 1879 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 20, 2018, 09:41:03 PM »

Are Trump's Rallies Helping Congressional Candidates Ahead of the Midterm Election?

I'm asking because I personally do not know.

You can argue that it's helping energize and motivate the Republican base, but on the flip-side you can easily speculate that those turning out for the rallies would be voting regardless. So I don't know.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 09:42:22 PM »

No.  It's kind of just like an expanded two-minutes of hate - not meant to do anything other than pacify the horde.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2018, 09:44:31 PM »

They only have an effect when Trump says something ultra stupid in the rally, in which case, it hurts Republicans.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2018, 10:04:52 PM »

Given Trump's record of winning, and the Democrats' record (in recent years) of losing, I would say his rallies help.  I'm not trying to be snarky, but Trump really does understand politics and what plays far more deeply than his enemies do. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2017/03/06/donald-trump-persona-president/

As much as one makes fun of Trump Rallies, they are amazingly successful because they give Trump a platform to reiterate the 4-5 bullet points he wants to convey to his supporters.  And his supporters get those points.  They know why they support Trump, and his rallies reinforce those points.  They are, indeed helping.  He's Donald Trump, and he wouldn't have the rallies if they weren't helping.

Another way that the rallies tangibly help Trump is that they are used to plug Republicans in the states he holds the rallies in.  This builds Trump's image as a REPUBLICAN and a Republican partisan; this is important for Trump to secure renomination, re-election, and support for his program.  And make no mistake; Trump has bent the GOP to his way of thinking on key issues; he's made the hostile takeover stick.  The partisan campaigning is his way of making the medicine of his hostile takeover of 2016 go down easier.

Trump knows what he's doing.  He's not a clown, and he's not unserious.  That's what people here don't get.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2018, 10:23:04 PM »

He talks to his people, tells the coal miner he's making them great again while he isn't.  Stabbing the farmers in the back, etc... but his true fans are the bigots and he plays to them all the time.  Filth preaching to the filth.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2018, 10:41:34 PM »

Given Trump's record of winning, and the Democrats' record (in recent years) of losing, I would say his rallies help.  I'm not trying to be snarky, but Trump really does understand politics and what plays far more deeply than his enemies do. 

https://www.nationalreview.com/magazine/2017/03/06/donald-trump-persona-president/

As much as one makes fun of Trump Rallies, they are amazingly successful because they give Trump a platform to reiterate the 4-5 bullet points he wants to convey to his supporters.  And his supporters get those points.  They know why they support Trump, and his rallies reinforce those points.  They are, indeed helping.  He's Donald Trump, and he wouldn't have the rallies if they weren't helping.

Another way that the rallies tangibly help Trump is that they are used to plug Republicans in the states he holds the rallies in.  This builds Trump's image as a REPUBLICAN and a Republican partisan; this is important for Trump to secure renomination, re-election, and support for his program.  And make no mistake; Trump has bent the GOP to his way of thinking on key issues; he's made the hostile takeover stick.  The partisan campaigning is his way of making the medicine of his hostile takeover of 2016 go down easier.

Trump knows what he's doing.  He's not a clown, and he's not unserious.  That's what people here don't get.
Senator Roy Moore and congressman Rick Saccone agree
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2018, 10:56:26 PM »

Moore and Saccone were poor candidates that were opposed by quality Democratic candidates.  That Trump supported them endeared him that much more to local and state Republicans in those states.

That Trump continued to support Moore, despite the flak, increased his loyalty among the base.  Not everyone sees Moore as Atlas does, and Moore's accusers seem rather silent since the campaign, giving Moore the possibility of going on offense and rehabbing his image, at least as far as the worst charges against him go.  At the same time, Trump's support of incumbent Luther Strange in the special election seems like the shrewd pick, as Strange was an incumbent who would have likely beaten Doug Jones in the special election. 

Trump's enemies are way too dismissive of him.  Trump can count on this in his planning.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2018, 11:02:07 PM »

Moore and Saccone were poor candidates that were opposed by quality Democratic candidates.  That Trump supported them endeared him that much more to local and state Republicans in those states.

That Trump continued to support Moore, despite the flak, increased his loyalty among the base.  Not everyone sees Moore as Atlas does, and Moore's accusers seem rather silent since the campaign, giving Moore the possibility of going on offense and rehabbing his image, at least as far as the worst charges against him go.  At the same time, Trump's support of incumbent Luther Strange in the special election seems like the shrewd pick, as Strange was an incumbent who would have likely beaten Doug Jones in the special election. 

Trump's enemies are way too dismissive of him.  Trump can count on this in his planning.

The reverse is also true. Trump and his ilk are just as crippingly dismissive.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2018, 11:47:25 PM »

I don’t think they help much, but I also have never gotten the canard that they somehow hurt
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 12:03:49 AM »

I think they can help by keeping the base energized, but not much beyond that.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 12:36:48 AM »

Of course not. Campaign rallies are totally irrelevant and dont help anyone win. See:
Beware the Crowdsmanship: When it comes to campaign rallies, does size matter?

Donal Drumpfs biggest campaign rally had as many people as George McGoverns biggest campaign rally lmao
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 12:40:25 AM »

Lol he's actually sourcing NR
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 04:30:00 AM »

Lol he's actually sourcing NR

Don't make me get the picture again!
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 07:00:22 AM »

The reverse is also true. Trump and his ilk are just as crippingly dismissive.

Trump maintains a posture of dismissiveness of his opponents; this is very true.  Privately,, I believe Trump gives his enemies more credit than they give him.  This is something Trump has used to his advantage; consistently being underestimated is a key to Trump's "winning".
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »

Probably marginally at best. People who show up to political rallies are likely to vote anyway and the rallies aren't always largely attended. The 1 Trump rally I went to in Richmond in 2016 was sparsely attended which is how I got away with drunkenly booing him without getting punched in the face.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 02:26:09 PM »

Of course he is not a clown. I am satisfied that he means everything he says, and with deadly seriousness.

Do they help him? Perhaps in the one district in which he holds the rally, but he does not (and cannot) hold enough such rallies for members of Congress. He is preaching to the choir, so whom does he reach?

People who do not like his Presidency are not paying attention. They are more likely to catch some meme that the media pick up, and in view of contemptuous attitude that the mainstream media hold of him, such may hurt him.

He is a publicity hound, and he is getting the attention that he thinks that he wants. It's the people not at those rallies that matter.   
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2018, 03:37:33 PM »

I think they're neutral. People are showing up for Trump, not the candidates.

Thousands showed up for Obama when he campaigned for Hillary the night before Election Day 2016. They showed up for Obama Not Hillary.

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2018, 03:43:39 PM »

Thousands showed up for Obama when he campaigned for Hillary the night before Election Day 2016. They showed up for Obama Not Hillary.

Back in Oct 2010...Obama did a midterm rally blitz drawing crowds of 10k people...and then he was promptly BTFO 2 weeks later losing 63 seats.

Political rallies do nothing
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2018, 07:07:00 PM »

Back in Oct 2010...Obama did a midterm rally blitz drawing crowds of 10k people...and then he was promptly BTFO 2 weeks later losing 63 seats.

Exactly my point. People show up to see the "star". It doesn't do much for voting unless it's for the "star".
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2018, 08:19:18 PM »

Exactly my point. People show up to see the "star". It doesn't do much for voting unless it's for the "star".

Unless said star makes it very very clear over and over again that you'll do him wrong if you don't vote for his chosen ones, Obama was never quite so explicit about that...it was just promotions at best.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »

They aren't even about congressional candidates. That's just the excuse for him to go to a state and engage in his usual stream-of-consciousness idiocy. The rallies are about him, as everything is. So, no, they don't help other Republicans. They don't necessarily hurt either though. They're pointless, like a lot of what Trump does and advocates for.
I Can Now Die Happy
NYC Millennial Minority
United States
Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2018, 11:56:53 PM »

Short answer: ya

Longer Answer: Yes

reason: gotta boost turnout. There are quite a few Trump fans  in the country who otherwise could have stayed home because they thought "we won in 2016, why bother going out to vote this year for whatshisface? I don't even know the difference between the House and Senate."

Trump knows he can't suffer the same fate Obama did, hence these rallies. A wise decision.

For the good of the nation, I encourage everyone reading this to vote GOP downballot on November 6.

#SendTrumpReinforcements
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2018, 01:00:19 AM »

Not really, except for Morrisey.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 05:04:58 AM »

They aren't even about congressional candidates. That's just the excuse for him to go to a state and engage in his usual stream-of-consciousness idiocy. The rallies are about him, as everything is. So, no, they don't help other Republicans. They don't necessarily hurt either though. They're pointless, like a lot of what Trump does and advocates for.

Trump has stymied his opponents at every turn.  People think his ideas are ridiculous, mainly because Trump is proudly anti-intellectual, but people buy into them.  And Trump can claim real policy successes; the economy IS doing well and people believe it's doing well.  Progress is being made on long-frustrating foreign issues.  People see Trump as accomplishing things, and all of the sound and fury doesn't change that.

The rallies are an example.  They rally the base of partisans whose partisanship is about TRUMP and not the GOP.  The Trumpublicans.  Trump gets it; he's made the election about him, and that's going to help the GOP more than people realize, because Republicans have come around to view Trump as "their man", and Democrats don't have a single national figure they can point to and say that about.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2018, 07:18:51 AM »

They may be showing Democrats why they want to get out the vote. They might have the effect for one or two candidates, but hurt others.

How does a Trump rally differ from a Castro rally? At a Castro rally one might be shot if one doesn't follow the script.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies