BRK: Trump to pull U.S out of Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:55:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  BRK: Trump to pull U.S out of Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: BRK: Trump to pull U.S out of Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty  (Read 2047 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2018, 10:00:12 AM »

This is great for Russia in two ways. It strengthens their prestige and capabilities and casts their puppet as not their puppet. It's like burning down the house after you murdered the deadbeat renters inside and made it into some sort of electrical thing to the insurance company. Russian lightning!

But two can play this game. We can still blame Russia AND Trump for starting the same war while simultaneously claiming we don't want the war.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »

I wonder how much this risks raising the threat of nuclear war..

Trump probably thinks we can win a nuclear war.

Though that outcome is potentially far worse than a moderate MAD situation, where the world doesn't die but civilization and the ecosystem are alive albeit crippled for hundreds, if not thousands of years. In the former situation, I can see a "won" Trumpian nuclear war having the same ultimate results as the one at the end of the Turner Diaries. That is, a world that is heavily depopulated and the only civilization remaining are the "victors". All other civilizations and peoples  have either been exterminated or have devolved into small bands of hunter-gatherer bands of mutated creatures that live in irradiated deserts that were once the cities, forests, and farmland of their ancestors.
I know this is the conventional wisdom on the subject, but it's not accurate in 2018.  Neither Russia nor the US/NATO have plans to nuke population centers with giant, multimegaton, 70s era nukes.  Neither even fields those big, civilization ending bombs anymore.  They might still have them, of course, but many wouldn't work even if they tried, and nobody is going to try.  Almost all the "ready" nukes are of the "tactical variety"....because that's all we'd need.

I'm not saying it will be a fun weekend, but it won't be what we would have experienced in 1983 had it gone down then.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2018, 12:59:46 PM »

In an odd way Trump resembles Bush in this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Ballistic_Missile_Treaty

Bush also pulled out a 30 year old treaty.

I do oppose this though
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 05:39:08 PM »

And now Russia is threatening retaliation.

Thanks a lot Trump. The world has just become far less safe. You Russia hawks happy now?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2018, 06:25:48 PM »

Putin is going to release the piss tape as a October surprise.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »

Thanks a lot Trump. The world has just become far less safe. You Russia hawks happy now?

hell yeah brah, USA always wins, Putin is a thug just like Saddam was!

Barry Goldwater respect!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2018, 12:49:18 AM »

I never understood the right-wing hatred for arms control treaties. This has John Bolton written all over it.

Also notable that this treaty was arguably the most important concrete foreign policy accomplishment of Reagan's tenure.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2018, 02:09:44 AM »

hell yeah brah, USA always wins, Putin is a thug just like Saddam was!

Barry Goldwater respect!

No, you don't. The world is now 1000x less safe that it was before.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2018, 02:16:11 AM »

Trump may want to "prove" he is not Putin's lapdog. I doubt that works when Mueller comes out with his report.

Putin is going to release the piss tape as a October surprise.

I would love this (not even kidding). First good thing Putin would do.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2018, 03:03:49 PM »

In an odd way Trump resembles Bush in this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Ballistic_Missile_Treaty

Bush also pulled out a 30 year old treaty.

I do oppose this though
I find it funny that one of Reagan's arguments for primarying Ford in 1976 was that he (Reagan) opposed the Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty while Ford supported it, yet it was Rumsfeld, who in 1976 held the same office under Ford that he would hold under Dubya, who would ultimately pull out of the AMBT.

Another fun fact: Reagan's opposition to the ABMT led to Kissinger calling Reagan "stupid". Thanks to the Watergate tapes revealing this, Reagan would forever hate Kissinger.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2018, 08:28:42 PM »

I think Trump just likes pulling out. Clearly he's used to it and good at it. Otherwise Stormy Daniels would have blackmailed him with an illegitimate child.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 09:11:48 PM »

Can we please drop the Trump (R-Moscow) meme now? Trump hasn't been pro-Russia in any way (and that's a good thing obviously, we need to teach the Russians some lessons). The only reason why he keeps attacking the Russia investigation is because any Russian interference in the 2016 election would put a huge strain on his 2016 victory, and his self-inflated ego can't stand the idea that he himself wasn't the only one responsible for his ''victory''. Other than that he doesn't care about Russia or Putin at all. He's been an useful idiot at best for destroying America's reputation and driving the US and the EU apart (which will be fixed under the next president anyway), but when it comes to sanctions the Trump administration has been rather hawkish.

This can be pro-Russia. By pulling the US out, it gives the Russians the green light to develop new missiles.

Exactly!
I wouldn't doubt if Putin and his thugs "pushed" trump to do this.
The Russians wanted this, and are drinking Vodka (again) in celebration of inserting a moron to lead our nation.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2018, 12:43:16 AM »

Now this f***ing idiot says he's building up the nuclear arsenal.

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/world/2018/10/23/trump-threatens-russia-china-nukes/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=PM%20Update%2020181023

So we're barrelling headfirst towards a nuclear war. Happy Russia hawks?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies