When are we likely to see the first major LGBT office holder?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:18:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  When are we likely to see the first major LGBT office holder?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who, among these candidates, is most likely to become the first major LGBT office holder?
Jared Polis (D-CO)

Kate Brown (D-OR)

Tammy Baldwin (D-WI)

Mark Pocan (D-WI)

Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) ❤

Sharice Davids (D-KS) ❤

Dana Nessel (D-MI) ❤

Other (Post!)

None (Lol)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 17

Author Topic: When are we likely to see the first major LGBT office holder?  (Read 1288 times)
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 23, 2018, 12:22:42 AM »
« edited: October 23, 2018, 04:49:58 AM by iBizzBee »

Question above, a major LGBT office holder meaning either President, Vice President, Speaker of the House, maybeee Secretary of State, etc. And yes, considering the importance and discussion over the rise of major Female, African American, etc candidates, I think this is relevant, even though I continue to believe merit should trump identity. A lot of offices are being contested by LGBT candidates all across the country.

https://victoryfund.org/our-candidates-2018/?candidate-category=game-changer

Discuss.

Also @ Republicans, why do LGBT people hate you?
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:24:16 AM »

Probably none of the above but I would consider Senate a major office. And since you didn't say "openly", I suspect we've already had an LGB in each of those offices already.

I feel bad for Kirsten Sinema because I really like her and she's been almost too moderate in the House but she would make a good VP and Hannity and co. have spent all week calling her a Taliban supporter. Jared Polis is awesome but he seems more Governor than presidential material.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 12:25:48 AM »

The most likely answer is obviously Lindsey Graham, who deserves the honor more than anyone. I have nothing nice to say about any of these people in the poll.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 12:30:53 AM »

The most likely answer is obviously Lindsey Graham, who deserves the honor more than anyone. I have nothing nice to say about any of these people in the poll.

If we're including closeted ones, then we already had a major LGBT officeholder 150 years ago.

Vice President William Rufus "Aunt Fancy" King
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:44:27 AM »

I think it might be Tammy Baldwin, but that's just me.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 04:50:06 AM »

That said, I feel like for the positions you've mentioned, we will first have to see a "straight" woman break through. So Speaker of the House is my best guess for where would have the best chance of it happening, since Nancy Pelosi has broken through. I could also see a VP candidate. I'm not sure when, though, as that depends on a lot.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:29:00 AM »

That said, I feel like for the positions you've mentioned, we will first have to see a "straight" woman break through. So Speaker of the House is my best guess for where would have the best chance of it happening, since Nancy Pelosi has broken through. I could also see a VP candidate. I'm not sure when, though, as that depends on a lot.

Well that's basically what is going to happen first, I think. Either way, it'll be a contest between Polis (assuming he wins) and Baldwin as to who becomes most nationally prominent first.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 07:27:02 AM »

I don't really understand why transgender is always lumped in with homosexuality like this. They're 2 completely different things. Unsure

Baldwin from the people listed. Probably none of them.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 08:42:41 AM »

If we're including closeted ones, then we already had a major LGBT officeholder 150 years ago.

Vice President William Rufus "Aunt Fancy" King
Hell, throw in King's """""best friend""""" President James Buchanan as well.
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 10:20:40 AM »

Eric Fanning or Pete Buttigieg in a future Democratic Cabinet
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 10:44:43 AM »

It is a matter of time and random chance.

Is there any reason for us not having a Jewish, Polish-American, or Italian-American President? We might have had a Greek-American President if Spiro Agnew weren't corrupt  or if Mike Dukakis had run a better campaign.

And, yes, someone ignored the distinction between a closeted homosexual and someone in the open. I would not vote for a closeted homosexual because such a person is a liar (if it is my choice, I would not vote for a 'closeted' alcoholic either). After Trump, integrity will matter as it has not before.  Out in the open? No trouble for me. 
JG

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 01:22:34 PM »

Is there any reason for us not having a Jewish, Polish-American, or Italian-American President? We might have had a Greek-American President if Spiro Agnew weren't corrupt  or if Mike Dukakis had run a better campaign.

And, yes, someone ignored the distinction between a closeted homosexual and someone in the open. I would not vote for a closeted homosexual because such a person is a liar (if it is my choice, I would not vote for a 'closeted' alcoholic either). After Trump, integrity will matter as it has not before.  Out in the open? No trouble for me. 

Is a closeted politician a liar or someone forced to hide a significant part of their identity because of an homophobic society? Of course, if that person lies to their husband/wife, it's different but I have no trouble with a politician who is single and doesn't feel comfortable in disclosing their sexual orientation.

And unlike a closeted alcoholic, the person's homosexuality/bisexuality won't affect their capacities and how they do their job.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2018, 01:43:19 PM »

Is a closeted politician a liar or someone forced to hide a significant part of their identity because of an homophobic society? Of course, if that person lies to their husband/wife, it's different but I have no trouble with a politician who is single and doesn't feel comfortable in disclosing their sexual orientation.

And unlike a closeted alcoholic, the person's homosexuality/bisexuality won't affect their capacities and how they do their job.
I agree with this as someone who's mostly closeted and hates every millisecond of it but has to stay in here for matters of personal safety.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2018, 02:30:09 PM »

And, yes, someone ignored the distinction between a closeted homosexual and someone in the open. I would not vote for a closeted homosexual because such a person is a liar (if it is my choice, I would not vote for a 'closeted' alcoholic either).
You're terrible. People don't choose to stay in the closet.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2018, 02:55:10 PM »

Does Senate Majority/Minority Leader count? That'd seem the most likely eventual place.
cvparty
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 03:15:06 PM »

i-
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies