Trump admin. to deny existence of transgender people
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:10:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump admin. to deny existence of transgender people
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Trump admin. to deny existence of transgender people  (Read 7797 times)
Lourdes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2018, 11:53:32 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/21/us/politics/transgender-trump-administration-sex-definition.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 11:55:03 AM »

Cartoon bad guys, etc.

How stupid are the people of America?
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 12:00:59 PM »

Unsurprising, considering Hungary’s rightwing government just banned Gender Studies from Hungarian Universities while (incorrectly) alleging gender is biological and that there are only two genders (and two sexes).

The Trump Administration is dead wrong on this and it stems from an ignorance of the cultural construct of gender, the degree to which biology and culture interact to create gender identity, the existence of multiple sexes, that third gender and transgender identities aren’t too uncommon throughout parts of the world, and that there is solid scientific evidence to substantiate the claims of transgender people that they feel alienated from the gender which they’ve been given due to biological causes outside of their control.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 12:26:13 PM »

Good.

Gender isn't like a political party affiliation where you are what you say you are. 
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »

As a Christian, I condemn this. 
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »

I'm trying to understand this controversy.

From what I get, this is currently based on internal discussions in the Trump administration.

They are considering changing the definition of sex for the purpose of various policies such as executive branch guidelines.

Within the medical community, sex is seen as distinct from gender/ gender identity, and determined by biology. The Obama administration had gone with a different definition to be able to accomplish certain policy goals.

Am I mistaken on anything here?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 12:40:38 PM »

From what I get, this is currently based on internal discussions in the Trump administration.

They are considering changing the definition of sex for the purpose of various policies such as executive branch guidelines.

Within the medical community, sex is seen as distinct from gender/ gender identity, and determined by biology. The Obama administration had gone with a different definition to be able to accomplish certain policy goals.

The medical, psychological, psychiatric, etc. communities have studied this issue and have reached much more definitive conclusions about the issue of gender identity than they did when Obama first took the oath of office.  While transgenderism was debated in the late 2000s, it was nowhere near the hot potato culture war topic that it is now.  In 2015, the Obama administration, after years of doing its homework on gender and gender identity and weighing the evidence on all sides, simply arrived at the same spot the medical and psychological communities did and executed public policy accordingly.
Koharu
jphp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 12:42:38 PM »

From this article:

From the 2016 Republican platform:

Hmmmm. I'm feeling some incompatibility of claims and actions here.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »

Sure, because you can just pick your gender identity like every other day...
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2018, 12:55:23 PM by MarkD »

So, doesn't this mean that Trump is considering an Executive Order that reverses Obama's EO about how to interpret existing Civil Rights law? Back when he issued it, I was pretty dubious about Obama's EO, and believed it would be more appropriate to seek new legislation from Congress about the civil rights of transgendered people.

So I still feel that way. I am not going to complain about what Trump is doing on this particular topic, and I want to tell my friends in LGBT community that we should seek to pass congressional legislation to guarantee the rights of the members of our community. Trying to interpret the already existing federal law to mean that gender identity is protected by the "sex discrimination" clause in existing federal law is, to me, very, very suspicious.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 12:54:34 PM »

So, doesn't this mean that Trump is considering an Executive Order that reverses Obama's EO about how to interpret existing Civil Rights law. Back when he issued it, I was pretty dubious about Obama's EO, and believed it would be more appropriate to seek new legislation from Congress about the civil rights of transgendered people.

So I still feel that way. I am not going to complain about what Trump is doing on this particular topic, and I want to tell my friends in LGBT community that we should seek to pass congressional legislation to guarantee the rights of the members of our community. Trying to interpret the already existing federal law to mean that gender identity is protected by the "sex discrimination" clause in existing federal law is, to me, very, very suspicious.
Gender identity is a form of "brain sex," meaning that it fits properly within "sex discrimination."
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 01:08:05 PM »

DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »

A bit more radical than I would prefer, but encouraging. Gender isn't an opinion. There are two sexes and one's sex is determined by biology. Some people are trans and should be recognized as the other sex once they have undergone surgery.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 01:12:19 PM »

The medical, psychological, psychiatric, etc. communities have studied this issue and have reached much more definitive conclusions about the issue of gender identity than they did when Obama first took the oath of office.  While transgenderism was debated in the late 2000s, it was nowhere near the hot potato culture war topic that it is now.  In 2015, the Obama administration, after years of doing its homework on gender and gender identity and weighing the evidence on all sides, simply arrived at the same spot the medical and psychological communities did and executed public policy accordingly.

From my understanding, the argument isn't about gender or gender identity, but about sex, since the text of the statute is about the latter.

I'm open to any evidence that indicates otherwise.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 01:18:33 PM »

A bit more radical than I would prefer, but encouraging. Gender isn't an opinion. There are two sexes and one's sex is determined by biology. Some people are trans and should be recognized as the other sex once they have undergone surgery.

I'll agree to this as a metter of public policy.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 01:20:32 PM »

People who say "ThErE ArE OnLy TwO GenDeRs OnLy BaSeD oN SeX" don't know what they're talking about.

Third gender/non-binary gender is a thing, especially in non-Western cultures.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 02:07:56 PM »

People who say "ThErE ArE OnLy TwO GenDeRs OnLy BaSeD oN SeX" don't know what they're talking about.

Binary sex isn't real either.
Gender essentialists are strictly anti-science.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 02:15:55 PM »

Unsurprising that the usual goons are fawning over Trump for this
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 02:34:28 PM »

Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 02:48:54 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2018, 08:33:24 AM by Torie »

You are either a man or a woman, biologically. If you say you "identify" with someone, that's okay. I "identify" with white, heterosexual men like Donald Trump. Of course I don't go around saying "I'm Donald Trump".

There's a line that shouldn't be crossed. ... Torie
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »

This is true. But sex is a different category, and it does appear that the text of the relevant statutes deals with sex and not gender.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 02:53:26 PM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 02:53:35 PM »

Wow, the transgendered are doing a great job at triggering Fragile Snowflake Donny!
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 02:55:12 PM »

You are either a man or a woman, biologically. If you say you "identify" with someone, that's okay. I "identify" with white, heterosexual men like Donald Trump. Of course I don't go around saying "I'm Donald Trump".

There's a line that shouldn't be crossed. If we become a society that normalizes the un-normal, we're lost.
Trans people typically identify as either a man or a woman.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 03:00:14 PM »

Good.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length