Opinion of the NPC meme
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:27:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the NPC meme
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: What do you think about the new NPC meme?
Freedom meme (Lean left)

Horrible meme (Lean left)

Unsure (Lean left)

Freedom meme (lean right)

Horrible meme (lean right)

Unsure (lean right)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: Opinion of the NPC meme  (Read 2760 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2018, 12:10:07 PM »

For those who don't know the NPC meme seems to be 4chan's newest trendy meme, in which progressives are accused of being pre-programmed NPCs who can't think for themselves.

It apparently catched fire after Twitter banned several accounts that were mimicking those supposed "progressive NPCs"

NPC refers to non playable characters in videogames, the ones that are controlled by the computer.

More info: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/npc-wojak

Some examples of the meme:

Lourdes
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2018, 12:19:26 PM »

Will be forgotten about within a year.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 12:45:36 PM »

well they aren't wrong

I mean, clearly it's not everyone over there and it's not like there isn't some on every side, but there is plenty of hive mind going on.  I just hope the worst of them get burned out or wise up.  Most people do, only the time frame varies.  If you agree with everything "your side" says, you're probably a moron.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 12:50:47 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2018, 12:56:46 PM by ¢®🅰ß 🦀 ©@k€ 🎂 »

It's basically just unchecked solipsism, right? People musing, even in jest, that not only are they inherently more logical/smart/discerning than the opposition, but that the opposition are mere automatons endlessly repeating what The Man tells them to say.

Of course, it's hardly unique stuff: see "sheeple", "red pill", "normie" etc. It's not a really useful political exercise to refuse to grant your enemy's autonomy (and this is an issue we all must face: it is quite necessary to understand why people hold opinions that we find disagreeable, or you will never really defeat them), but people do it all the same.

(The biggest irony is that boards like 4chan, where everybody is an anonymous figure repeating memes and copypasta, are hardly massive sources of individuality themselves. If Resist Twitter is rife with NPC's, then so is /r/TheDonald and /pol/. Indeed, one issue is that internet culture means essentially every single online haunt, no matter the ideology, speaks in a similar manner. 4chan, as much as it likes to self-mythologize is hardly unique in its use of irony and cynicism).
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »

I mean, it's a little ironic given that the left-wing has a proud history of self-destructing over an inability to agree on ideological minutiae
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2018, 01:34:15 PM »

I mean, it's a little ironic given that the left-wing has a proud history of self-destructing over an inability to agree on ideological minutiae
The meme is less about those actually part of the left-wing infighting sessions that matter and more about average people (and low-level activists) unquestionably buying into all of the myths ("diversity is our strength", "Trump bad orange man", "did you watch SNL last night? Ha... ha... did you watch Jon Stewart? Ha... ha... ha..." etc.).

Freedom meme, great addition to the collection.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2018, 02:09:00 PM »

If the left can scream "Russian Bots!!!1" at the right; the right can call the left NPCs.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »

Sure, but its more for the election in a couple weeks.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2018, 02:24:55 PM »

Hypocritical nonsense. In other words, nothing new from one of the Internet's most idiotic websites.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2018, 02:31:19 PM »

Kudos: this post legitimately made me laugh. Do you really think this meme will have any effect on the midterms either way? I'd be surprised if 90% of the Republican base even know what an NPC is with or without the context of it being a meme. Like 90% of all Online Political Content, it's just performative stuff: preaching to the already converted for the sake of maintaining a circlejerk.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2018, 02:54:48 PM »

If the left can scream "Russian Bots!!!1" at the right; the right can call the left NPCs.

I had an entire thing typed up, but I'll leave it that there is more than one type of "left", and the type that go into histrionics over purported Russian involvement in random events is hardly the most left; nor does it likely represent most liberals in real life.

All this aside, I find it immensely troubling that the right would become the Russia scapegoat (or vice versa), the 2016 election aside, given liberal and left-wing discourse on Russia during the preceding decades.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2018, 03:08:40 PM »

Devastatingly effective.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 03:12:04 PM »

Hypocritical nonsense. In other words, nothing new from one of the Internet's most idiotic websites.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2018, 03:31:31 PM »

Extremely pathetic
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 03:40:34 PM »

Projection, and not really funny at all. And I say this as someone that finds some of the anti left memes hilarious, like cucks and soyboys.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2018, 05:30:53 PM »

Looks like it was made by a bunch of nerds who want to feel superior to everyone else despite their lack of success in life.

At least that's how it strikes me.
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »

I had an entire thing typed up, but I'll leave it that there is more than one type of "left", and the type that go into histrionics over purported Russian involvement in random events is hardly the most left; nor does it likely represent most liberals in real life.

All this aside, I find it immensely troubling that the right would become the Russia scapegoat (or vice versa), the 2016 election aside, given liberal and left-wing discourse on Russia during the preceding decades.

Ok, how about "Twitter left" and "Twitter right" in my sentence?
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2018, 05:40:45 PM »

Kudos: this post legitimately made me laugh. Do you really think this meme will have any effect on the midterms either way? I'd be surprised if 90% of the Republican base even know what an NPC is with or without the context of it being a meme. Like 90% of all Online Political Content, it's just performative stuff: preaching to the already converted for the sake of maintaining a circlejerk.

Did the Pepe meme and others have an effect on getting Trump elected? Many people think so.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2018, 05:44:25 PM »

Did the Pepe meme and others have an effect on getting Trump elected? Many people think so.

And many people are also stupid. What a coincidence!
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2018, 05:51:09 PM »

And many people are also stupid. What a coincidence!

Stupid maybe...or just can't put in the time to care.  They have jobs to do, families to take care of, bills to pay, etc.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2018, 06:23:54 PM »

🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2018, 07:04:05 PM »

In what universe?
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 07:38:26 PM »

In what universe?

The online universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ZuffBrloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Y-P0v2Hh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFZSyVfBo54

Arturo Belano

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.43

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »

It's projection insofar as every ideological subset and niche group is subject to some level of groupthink. But it's still a really effective meme to use against your political opponents.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2018, 09:18:58 PM »

In what universe?

The online universe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7ZuffBrloo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Y-P0v2Hh0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFZSyVfBo54

Have you considered you are too Online for your own good?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies