Where does Kerry have a better chance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:26:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Where does Kerry have a better chance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where does Kerry have a better chance?  (Read 4608 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2004, 03:22:48 PM »

I'm starting to think it might be Arkansas...
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2004, 03:25:55 PM »

florida
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2004, 03:31:48 PM »

The correct answer is Arkansas.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2004, 03:36:42 PM »

Arkansas.
The GOP has no machine outside the Boston Mountains.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 03:40:05 PM »

very sure of yourself there Vorlon Smiley.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 03:45:11 PM »

Yes
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 03:51:13 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2004, 03:52:14 PM by lidaker »

WV goes back to Kerry, I see. That's nice.

Now why will dems win Arkansas before Florida? Have they been particularly hit by the economic downswing or what? Bush won it pretty comfortably in 2000, what has happened since?
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 04:06:27 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2004, 04:07:54 PM by The Vorlon »

Now why will dems win Arkansas before Florida? Have they been particularly hit by the economic downswing or what? Bush won it pretty comfortably in 2000, what has happened since?

Guess it depends what you define as "pretty comfortably" - Bush won Arkansas by 5.44% in 2000.

Arkansas has been hit fairly hard - they have a lot of "PMCs" and have pulled back maybe 2.5% points to the Dems.   Plus there is a fairly even distribution of political power in the state - Lots of Clinton folks still have their hands in things.

I have Arkansas running about +3 or so for Bush right now.

Florida on the other hand is economically in GREAT shape - best economy in the nation.

Brother Jeb (An outstanding Governor BTW) is hugely popular (Re-elected +13 in 2002) and the GOP controls every thing there is to control in that state.

Hispanics are trending to Bush fairly well in Florida (and nationwide actually by a marginal amount)

Old Seniors (70+ who vote Democratic) have died in greater numbers since 2000 than Young Seniors (60-70) who trend to the GOP.

Also, when military forces are stationed abroad they have to declare a state of residence - Many pick Florida (no state income tax) This helps Bush a tad also.

I have Bush +4 and growing stronger in Florida.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2004, 04:09:22 PM »

Guess it depends what you define as "pretty comfortably" - Bush won Arkansas by 5.44% in 2000.

Arkansas has been hit fairly hard - they have a lot of "PMCs" and have pulled back maybe 2.5% points to the Dems.   Plus there is a fairly even distribution of political power in the state - Lots of Clinton folks still have their hands in things.

I have Arkansas running about +3 or so for Bush right now.

Florida on the other hand is economically in GREAT shape - best economy in the nation.

Brother Jeb (An outstanding Governor BTW) is hugely popular (Re-elected +13 in 2002) and the GOP controls every thing there is to control in that state.

Hispanics are trending to Bush fairly well in Florida (and nationwide actually by a marginal amount)

Old Seniors (70+ who vote Democratic) have died in greater numbers since 2000 than Young Seniors (60-70) who trend to the GOP.

Also, when military forces are stationed abroad they have to declare a state of residence - Many pick Florida (no state income tax) This helps Bush a tad also.

I have Bush +4 and growing stronger in Florida.

Allright. Always interesting to hear your views.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 04:12:24 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2004, 04:12:44 PM by The Vorlon »

Is that agreement or disagreement...?  Cheesy
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2004, 04:19:52 PM »

Agreement I guess... since I can't claim being more versed in this than you Smiley

However many polls have shown a dead heat in FL. If they love Jeb so much, shouldn't they reflect that even at this early stage?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2004, 04:27:32 PM »

Agreement I guess... since I can't claim being more versed in this than you Smiley

However many polls have shown a dead heat in FL. If they love Jeb so much, shouldn't they reflect that even at this early stage?

Florida is precisely 4.5 times more valuable than Arkansas (usually you wouldn't be able to quantify it so precisley Smiley ), so I'd much rather be competitive in Florida than Arkansas. Also Florida is a HUGE test of the theory that urbanization leads to less conservatism; up to 2000 it did trend more moderate as people moved into the state, but if it goes back now its a very troubling sign.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2004, 04:44:17 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2004, 04:48:08 PM by The Vorlon »

Florida is a bitch to poll for the following reasons:

1)  High non-citizen population (+/- 17% or so)
2)  Snow Birds - Do they vote in Florida - or else where?
3)  Language Issues due to hispanic/cuban populations
4)  Large number of military families - Military folks actually living on base in Iraq or Germany or Korea or where ever usual pick Florida as their US "home" due to no Florida state income tax.
5) Felons 3-4% of population - cannot vote in Florida.

All these quirks make it a tough state to poll.

There have been 3 polls done recently.

ARG and Rasmussen had the state tied (ARG Bush +1, Rasmussen Kerry +1) while Mason Dixon had Bush +8

Mason Dixon is clearly the best of these three firms plus ...

Mason Dixon started in Florida, grew up in Florida, and frankly are the pretty much undisputed and acknowledged Gods of polling Florida. The have decades of local experience and on the ground knowledge to sort out all the kinks and quirks in terms of how to properly poll the state.

Plus Mason Dixon is good at State polls.

In 2002 they did 27 state races for Senate & Governor.  They got 26 right. (17 out of 17 on Senate races)

By contrast Zogby did 17 races and got only 12 right.

Rule of thumb - if the polls are unclear - go with the Mason-Dixon - You will be right a whole lot more than you're wrong.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2004, 05:27:32 PM »

That is a difficult question & it is one for which I have no answer.  I think Kerry will take both, but asking which one Kerry is more likely to take, I might say AR b/c in FL, Jeb is a cheater, but I might also say FL b/c Gore only lost by very few points to win it last time... so I just don't know.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2004, 05:28:40 PM »

That is a difficult question & it is one for which I have no answer.  I think Kerry will take both, but asking which one Kerry is more likely to take, I might say AR b/c in FL, Jeb is a cheater, but I might also say FL b/c Gore only lost by very few points to win it last time... so I just don't know.

Gore lost FL by 0.01%.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 05:36:22 PM »

Kerry's chances are very poor in both states, though obviously he could easily win without either.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies