IF Merkel is "forced out" soon... then what?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:09:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  IF Merkel is "forced out" soon... then what?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: IF Merkel is "forced out" soon... then what?  (Read 4284 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2018, 03:51:25 AM »

Almost certainly either whoever replaces Merkel from CDU or Macron (even if he has low approval).

If neither Germany nor France (nor the USA) have someone who qualifies, I'd say the position is essencially vacant. Trudeau may be the closest thing but still would have nowhere near the impact as Macron or Merkel.

In the EU after France and Germany would come Italy, but of course they have a populist government so they are out of the question. So again the position would be vacant, with Sánchez being the closest thing (assuming he is still PM). If Sánchez has been ousted, depending on how the Spanish government looks by then, either Albert Rivera might still qualify  (I don't think a PM Casado would though) or Spain might also be skipped

After that would come Poland (again, out of the question) and then probably the Netherlands. So Mark Rutte would become "leader of the free EU".
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2018, 05:40:14 AM »

So, in this purely hypothetical setting, which other president/prime minister/chancellor/whatever is seen as leader of the free world, since so many see it as Merkel after the election of Trump?
Jair Messias Bolsonaro.
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2018, 08:03:36 AM »

So, in this purely hypothetical setting, which other president/prime minister/chancellor/whatever is seen as leader of the free world, since so many see it as Merkel after the election of Trump?
Jair Messias Bolsonaro.
If an open advocate for military dictatorship is seen as the leader of the Free World then I won't want to live on this planet anymore.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »

I completely forgot about Latin America. Then again there aren't many good contenders there either. AMLO is too far to the left and Bolsonaro is too far to the right.

The remaining contenders leading large countries would be Sebastian Piñera, Mauricio Macri, Martin Vizcarrra, Iván Duque and Nicolás Maduro.

Obviously Maduro won't be leading anything remotely free any time soon.

Peru has been quite unstable reciently so I guess Martin Vizcarra is out of the question.

Macri would be the ideal contender but he is extremely unpopular iirc and his economic policy has been bad.

That leaves Sebastián Piñera and Iván Duque. Neither is an ideal choice but I guess they could work to lead the new conservative leaning Latin America.

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »

Nothing. Heads of government change from time to time. That's a normal thing. I don't see a crazy dude taking power in Germany.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2018, 05:24:30 PM »

Bill Shorten will be the leader of the free world.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies