Ideologies don't die. Progressivism and conservatism are hear to stay forever.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:59:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Ideologies don't die. Progressivism and conservatism are hear to stay forever.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ideologies don't die. Progressivism and conservatism are hear to stay forever.  (Read 1893 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 01, 2018, 09:38:51 PM »

Stop saying that conservatism is on it's way out----hardcore social conservatism--yes. But they are some people who still may have socially conservative views on some issues (abortion, family structure) and those people include white people, black people, Latino people.

Conservatism will be reinvented or remade to appeal to future generations---economically. You can't spend your way to prosperity---you can't be a drunken sailor---but you also must have respect for a nation's laws and borders.

Stop saying that progressivism is on it's way out--the hard core S.J.W. liberalism and a mix of hardcore economic progressivism yes--people want to be successful, they don't want to be government dependent.

Tackling income inequality and real racial disparities will be what brings progressivism into American mainstream.

Neither ideology is going anywhere. Period.

But racial balkanization will increase sadly.
HillGoose
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.74, S: -8.96

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 01:31:31 PM »

hell yeah brah, everyone says neoconservatism is dead but i knew it's coming back!
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 03:49:30 PM »

Yes, I believe parties may, but I doubt ideologies will.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 04:27:12 PM »

What is considered "progressive" and "conservative" will change.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 04:31:33 PM »

This exactly. These terms only have meaning in relation to the cultural-political norms of a society; that is, representing forces that prefer to change those norms to fulfill a vision of social reform and forces that prefer to preserve the extant norms respectively. Every political paradigm has progressives and conservatives. What changes are the programs that these camps advance.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 05:40:20 PM »

Was feudalism here forever? Divine right? Communism?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 06:22:42 PM »

Generalized Ideologies like Liberal and Conservative don't die.

Directional Ideologies like progress and tradition don't die either.

Specific ideologies do though. Like Cathcon pointed out Divine Right died out, and in its wake the group that opposed divine right split into a new left/right paradigm.

Likewise in the American Revolution when the Patriots beat out the Tories and the British, the Patriots split themselves between a new left and right, both whom embraced the revolution.

When the DRs won out over the Federalists, they would split into a new left versus right, both of whom embraced egalitarianism at least to an extent.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 06:49:17 PM »

The trend, in the present at least, seems to be that progressives introduce a previously hated concept into political discourse (gay marriage, legal marijuana), which start getting more popular the more they're debated and conservatives move on to other topics once their acceptance is just too high.

In the future, the debate about marriage may be one on the legal ramifications of a polyamorous union.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »

Communism is still around even if it's a fringe ideology
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2019, 04:25:53 PM »

Tongue in cheek comment made at the expense of both the Soviet Union and the Fukuyamaists.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 12:42:04 AM »

This exactly. These terms only have meaning in relation to the cultural-political norms of a society; that is, representing forces that prefer to change those norms to fulfill a vision of social reform and forces that prefer to preserve the extant norms respectively. Every political paradigm has progressives and conservatives. What changes are the programs that these camps advance.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »

I believe in feudalism and divine right.
Flyersfan232

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 04:59:03 PM »

hell yeah brah, everyone says neoconservatism is dead but i knew it's coming back!
It along with neo liberalism need to die
Flyersfan232

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 05:01:19 PM »

The trend, in the present at least, seems to be that progressives introduce a previously hated concept into political discourse (gay marriage, legal marijuana), which start getting more popular the more they're debated and conservatives move on to other topics once their acceptance is just too high.

In the future, the debate about marriage may be one on the legal ramifications of a polyamorous union.
I fear pedosexual might be a thing one day
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 07:28:43 PM »

People will claim "slippery slope" in regards to that, but it is a real possibility. Looking at history there is no reason to think that things will end with the issues of today. We can pretty much guarantee that progressivism will in time move on to causes that are universally condemned in 2019, as it has done in the past. What those causes are is anyone's guess.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »

Ok.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2019, 07:38:14 AM »

Legends never die.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 08:12:48 AM »

People will claim "slippery slope" in regards to that, but it is a real possibility. Looking at history there is no reason to think that things will end with the issues of today. We can pretty much guarantee that progressivism will in time move on to causes that are universally condemned in 2019, as it has done in the past. What those causes are is anyone's guess.

Once upon a time, not that long ago in fact, paedophilia was socially acceptable. And now it's not. So it's kind of cherry picking  to suggest the trend is entirely in one direction.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2019, 04:20:12 AM »

Very few things in history "die." They evolve. Which makes sense, because groups of people are not hiveminds--even an individual person can take years to change their minds on things, so it makes sense that groups will take much longer. It's not like Democrats woke up and all decided they no longer "believe marriage is between a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others because I was told the Bible said that and focus groups like the Bible!" It took a lot of focus groups to gradually convert them, one by one.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »

Neoconservatism is one the most popular types of conservatism in DC. They just recently elected a new fresh face neocon in Texas, Dan Crenshaw.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2019, 07:01:44 PM »

Stop saying that conservatism is on it's way out----hardcore social conservatism--yes No. But they are some people who still may have socially conservative views on some issues (abortion, family structure) and those people include white people, black people, Latino people.

Conservatism will be reinvented or remade to appeal to future generations---economically. You can't spend your way to prosperity---you can't be a drunken sailor---but you also must have respect for a nation's laws and borders.

Stop saying that progressivism is on it's way out--the hard core S.J.W. liberalism and a mix of hardcore economic progressivism yes--people want to be successful, they don't want to be government dependent.

Tackling income inequality and real racial disparities will be what brings progressivism into American mainstream.

I don't think you're correct about "hardcore" conservatism being dead as that's way to broad of a statement to make. It's considered by some to be hardcore social conservatism to reject gender identity in favor of science. I don't think people are going even further backwards than they already are.
Some of My Best Friends Are Gay
Enlightened_Centrist 420
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 08:11:03 PM »

Stop saying that conservatism is on it's way out----hardcore social conservatism--yes No. But they are some people who still may have socially conservative views on some issues (abortion, family structure) and those people include white people, black people, Latino people.

I don't think you're correct about "hardcore" conservatism being dead as that's way to broad of a statement to make. It's considered by some to be hardcore social conservatism to reject gender identity in favor of science. I don't think people are going even further backwards than they already are.

Being anti-LGBT is certainly on it's way out, but other social issues like abortion will likely remain contentious for quite some time.

Also, since when do conservatives care about science Huh
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 04:18:42 PM »

I was gonna say, can somebody introduce me to a Medievalist who wants a hereditary absolute monarchy and thinks the modern world economy should be organized around lords and manors. 

Communists and enlightenment style classical liberals are also pretty much gone and have no impact on mass society.
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »

I was gonna say, can somebody introduce me to a Medievalist who wants a hereditary absolute monarchy and thinks the modern world economy should be organized around lords and manors. 

Communists and enlightenment style classical liberals are also pretty much gone and have no impact on mass society.

These are unfortunately very much still politically active
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2019, 01:59:21 AM »

Oh I totally know people who believe that. There are probably people on this forum who believe it. Not that that makes it politically relevant really, since it might get 0.01% of the vote. But it's not completely dead. Almost nothing is completely dead.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies